Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Marmaduke! posted:

Memoirs of his life made into a movie 20 years ago, must be due a sequel, "How to be a lying shitbird and kill thousands?"

I don't think anyone's bought the rights to Big Tone's life yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

I don't think anyone's bought the rights to Big Tone's life yet

Well there was a musical. Two actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqZbffw92tk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIglEX-fB7c

Did I say two? Make that three!

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2020/12/15/47490/harry_hill_writes_a_tony_blair_musical

chortle.co.uk posted:

Harry Hill has written a comedy rock opera about Tony Blair...due to premiere in the theatre at London’s Battersea Power Station in February [2021].

Tony! (a Tony Blair Rock Opera) draws on the former Prime Minister’s youthful rock star-ambitions as the lead singer of a band called Bad Rumours.

Cherie Blair, Princess Diana, John Prescott, Peter Mandelson, Alistair Campbell, Osama Bin Laden, George W Bush, Saddam Hussein, Gordon Brown, ‘and of course that dodgy dossier’ are all due to feature.

Though it has about as much chance of premiering next month as Blair getting tried at the Hague.

escapegoat fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 17, 2021

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Seems the Tory mayoral candidate who thinks homeless people should save for a deposit has other scorching hot takes

quote:

The key thing about poverty and poor people is that poverty is as much about mindset as it is about money. If you give poor people lots of money, they buy things, and not always what they need; they buy what they want.”

“a culture of dependency rules the working class”, and “this liberal agenda hasn’t benefited the working class. The working class look to rules. The rules are important to them. Take away the rules and they are left in limbo.”
x

Beginning to think this guy might be a massive oval office.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1350833920128987138?s=19

Oh hell yeah

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The thing about poverty, right, the thing about poverty is, let's put it like this, they don't know how to look after their money!!

*sips pint*

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

that’s certainly going to discombobulate a lot of guardian columnists

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBYdaytitVQ

Absolute mad lad on the Supreme Court discussing whose life is and isn’t valuable! Good times.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Jel Shaker posted:

I believe the technical term is myocardial infarction

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

sinky posted:

Seems the Tory mayoral candidate who thinks homeless people should save for a deposit has other scorching hot takes

Beginning to think this guy might be a massive oval office.

"If you give poor people lots of money, they buy things, and not always what they need; they buy what they want.” at no point in the history of the UK have the poor ever been 'given lots of money' so fascinated to know what he's basing that take on.

Are the "poor people" he's talking about working on minimum wage or just-about-surviving-for-now on UC? Both groups are objectively poor people.

Edit

Jel Shaker posted:

Yeah that's gonna make things awkward for them lol

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Jel Shaker posted:

Why? They'll just say "Corbyn is evil and against free speech, yes I would like to be the token liberal panelist on your politics show, thanks for asking."

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/AnnelieseDodds/status/1350725186526584835?s=19

The Joker I will become

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We can't use the government to direct economic growth, we have to let the market sort it out. But only during pandemics (lol no we always have to do it)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
she really is a vapid wanker

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Increase income tax for the top 5% of earners, reverse the Tories’ cuts in corporation tax and clamp down on tax avoidance, particularly of large corporations?

No, stepping back from our core principles!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
It depends on whose taxes. Taxes on middle and lower income earners: yes, I think she’s right. Corporation tax and high earners: have at it. Corporation tax is only payable in profits, not revenues.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
In context;

quote:

Rishi Sunak is planning to begin raising taxes in March’s budget to plug the black hole in the national finances as officials model a long-term plan to replace both council tax and stamp duty with a national property tax.

Contrary to some reports, he is also considering an extension to stamp duty cuts and an increase in benefits.

Corporation tax will be the first to rise. Sunak regards it as the fairest way to begin raising significant sums, because it targets business profits rather than people and firms who have been plunged into the red.

While there will be no radical change to property taxes in this budget, ministers and officials are looking at the tally of winners and losers from the abolition of council tax and stamp duty.

They would be replaced with a proportional property tax, levied on the existing values of homes.
Insiders say that Jesse Norman, the Treasury secretary, is interested in the plan and has asked for more work to be done on it.

A campaign is under way to persuade Sunak, who is sceptical about property taxes, of the possible political benefits.
(ed: this coming from "a senior source", so they're floating the idea to see what the response is)

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 18, 2021

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

labour are going to get nuked at the next election lol

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

Why? They'll just say "Corbyn is evil and against free speech, yes I would like to be the token liberal panelist on your politics show, thanks for asking."

Libs have been making GBS threads on free speech for a decade it's not in their toolkit anymore.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Oh poo poo I saw that simon pegg film, it was absolute crap. I always wondered why they wrote pegg's character to be so incredibly charmless and awful in what appeared to be a romantic comedy lol.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Replacing council tax with a 1% property tax doesn't seem like the worst idea and I can't wait to see how he instead makes it something that rewards landlords.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jose posted:

And the cretins in charge will learn nothing and blame it on Corbyn

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jose posted:

Good. Good. Hope Dodds loses her seat, the loving scum. Unfortunately that's about as likely as the BBC outbidding Sky Sports for 3 live EPL packages.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

Replacing council tax with a 1% property tax doesn't seem like the worst idea and I can't wait to see how he instead makes it something that rewards landlords.

For starters I could imagine it being something landlords pass onto tenets but losing the single occupancy and student reliefs...

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Replacing council tax with a home owners tax is a bloody good idea.

They have that in Spain and everyone who owns a home hates it of course.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

blunt posted:

For starters I could imagine it being something landlords pass onto tenets but losing the single occupancy and student reliefs...

This but also make tenants directly liable and make it per capita not per household.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

How To Lose Friends And Alienate People was made before Toby “came out” as a right-winger, so he was just a general knobhead journalist and as such was just about acceptable as a sympathetic character. Now he’s a murderer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How old is he that he could have "memoirs" 20 years ago?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

How old is he that he could have "memoirs" 20 years ago?

He's 57 which explains his desire to be a nonce

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Mebh posted:

Replacing council tax with a home owners tax is a bloody good idea.

They have that in Spain and everyone who owns a home hates it of course.

Make it a land owner's tax which is progressive. If you own enough land for an ordinary family home then it's the same as council tax would be, then for each additional plot's worth it goes up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jose posted:

He's 57 which explains his desire to be a nonce

Huh, I thought he was about 40.

Must be all the adrenochrome.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Idk where to link this but lol

https://twitter.com/zei_squirrel/status/1350980852637949954?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/Devon_OnEarth/status/1350580707677110272

UKMT what is a chitterwagger? It sounds like a racial slur.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

a chitterwagger is where you can get asian fusion quisine served by insectoid abominations at a reasonable price (but the one in oxford is always full)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's "chinwag" sanitised to give no offence to those without chins.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i have no chin and i must scream

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA-nrXeldCI

What a grim situation. Either emergency services failed during what must of been a horrific time in the individuals trying to help, or a set of dirt bag lawyers is trying to exploit a grieving family to extract a pay out of some kind. Either way, horrendous.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

slang used for three weeks in brompton, shropshire, in 1864 by a drunk bloke who slurred his words badly enough to make a new one, and his two mates who heard him and took the piss for said three weeks.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

willie_dee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA-nrXeldCI

What a grim situation. Either emergency services failed during what must of been a horrific time in the individuals trying to help, or a set of dirt bag lawyers is trying to exploit a grieving family to extract a pay out of some kind. Either way, horrendous.

Weeeeell, you don't appoint your own lawyers to investigate something like this if you're certain that the original findings were fair. But, I can imagine a lawyer laying it on pretty thick with the whole "It'll just give you peace of mind" shtick.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

OwlFancier posted:

https://twitter.com/Devon_OnEarth/status/1350580707677110272

UKMT what is a chitterwagger? It sounds like a racial slur.

ah yes, people standing chatting in supermarkets (I've seen precisely zero) are definitely the major cause of this, and not e.g. the government

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I've seen people stand around chatting in supermarkets and getting in the way and it should be banned forever not just during pandemics, you're in the way of my beans!!