Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

the corona quid posted:

Was ‘97 when they downsized the cars or was that ‘98?

‘98. The ‘97 cars are the last of the 1983-style flat bottomed cars. Coincidentally, all of them are very attractive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The 1998 cars were so ugly Berger retired instead of wanting to drive one.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm praying like hell I qualify for this engine discount because it'll be loving nice going into a kart season assuming I'm not 10-20% down on power relative to everyone else.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Maybe F1 will be interesting like MotoGP now?

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...nk84zATl7F.html

Formula1.com posted:

The reorganisation of Renault's Formula 1 operation – to be known as Alpine from this season – continued this weekend as Davide Brivio was named as Racing Director of the team.

Brivio, who has a long record of success in MotoGP with Yamaha and most recently Suzuki, had been linked with a switch to F1 ever since he quit his role with the Japanese manufacturer earlier this month.

And on Sunday morning, Alpine confirmed the news in a short statement that read: "We are delighted to confirm Davide Brivio will strengthen our team ahead of the 2021 FIA Formula One World Championship season.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MotoGP fixed a lot of poo poo by ignoring the manufacturers were advocating for and eventually breaking them into standardizing and simplifying a lot of poo poo nobody cares about. F1 ain’t doing anything close to that right now lmao

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Brivio is an incredible loving genius and squeezed a title out of Suzuki who last won in the two stroke era by outsourcing their frame design because the in-house one was so bad. I think him and Alonso are going to clash at Renault though. Time will tell

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

New Kart Engine for 2021 🥰

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Senna waving his hand for the race to be red flagged in Portugal 85 is just A+ trolling.

Prost binning it immediately after: holy shiiiiiiiiit owned.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

ROFLBOT posted:

So how’s about that 2021 F1 calendar based on the Covid situation not being as bad as last year
No Tuscan GP, therefore crap.

Also Saudi Arabia, JFC. A country whose ruler ordered a journalist to be literally sawed to pieces in an embassy and slipped out of the host country in multiple diplomatic bags (to name just one of the many horrible things the Kingdom of Saud gets up to), but F1 gotta uphold Bernie's tradition of sucking up to wealthy autocrats and dictators with appalling human rights records in exchange for large bags of cash! And I bet the circuit's designed by Tilke to boot.

Fake edit: loving Tilke! I knew it!

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’ve seen a couple specific rankings of tracks as videos but is there a video or something that explains in more general terms what makes a track good for the current generation of F1 racing? I know some aspects like track width, the set up of the straights/DRS, but I’d be interested to learn a bit more in depth.

I guess maybe this is answered by related content explaining the difficulty of following and dirty air but I dunno.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

That's a huge can of worms to open up and the answer is going to vary depending on who you ask.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

the corona quid posted:

That's a huge can of worms to open up and the answer is going to vary depending on who you ask.

That’s kind of what I figured and probably why I felt like I couldn’t put my finger on “but why is the track bad” other than odd specifics that are tied to a bunch of otherwise seemingly minor details

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I don't have a problem with Tilke's circuits, just the sheer number of them on the calendar. If they whittled it down to 3 in the calendar it'd be great, but one of those should be CotA and none of those should be Sochi or Yas Marina.

Watching the old F1 series' I really appreciate how there's a diverse set of tracks. You can almost split them into high speed circuits like old Silverstone and old Zandvoort Vs slow technical circuits like Detroit. If it were up to me, rather than trying to create the perfect track I'd try to create the perfect season with a number of different challenges in there. That way even if a race wasn't tight there'd at least be some interest in how it was won and thinking on what different things different cars are good at.

Creating the perfect formula for a perfect circuit and doing just that is the wrong idea imo. Instead, I'd mix it up: have an oval somewhere in the calendar, have a proper street circuit like Detroit, have a handful of Tilkedromes, have a circuit like old South Africa that is just hell for leather on speed, maybe some other crazy ideas like one track that's deliberately made wet each season, the same track every time.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Azza Bamboo posted:

With not much seen of this season there's not as much to say, and 85 is also looking like it'll be threadbare viewing, but 86 thankfully has more coverage.

I remember growing up in the late '70s/early '80s in the UK, F1 races were always televised, so why is accessible coverage of them now so patchy? Is it just Bernie things?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
When I go looking outside the official channels for these races what I find is buzzing audio, fuzzy VHS recordings, and other such issues.

It's possible that they have the same problem Doctor Who has: Doctor Who's original film reels were thrown out to make room in the BBC's storage units and now all that survives are a few reels that fans rescued plus whatever people recorded themselves at home. Maybe the 84 and 85 season are only viewable on fuzzy or crackling VCR recordings that aren't good enough for the company to want to put out.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

For what its worth here's my two cents/long diatribe.

The Tilke designs are pretty sterile and uniform and I think when you take a bird's eye view what is missing from those tracks two key things stick out: A distinct visual identity and the lack of ability to punish mistakes. Some of this stuff is out of his control (I don't think Eccelstone's push to sterilise ad sponorship at circuits and then having a bunch of anonymous circuits built in the middle of loving nowhere because corrupt third world governments don't want to highlight how lovely living conditions are there were really constraints he could address) but I think large portions of it are with in his control.

I liked a lot of the US street circuit races in the 80s, which weren't particularly good circuits but they had a tendency to punish mistakes hard which put a lot more pressure on the drivers. The modern Tilke circuits all have huge run off areas which basically means any mistake is relatively meaningless, in a sport where there's a two second gap from first to second three laps in who really gives a gently caress if you lose a tenth. The kart circuit I run on has some pretty brutal run offs but the fact is you need to maximise the speed through the corners because we have such a small straight, there's some corners you can manage with getting a couple of tire off the track but it still punishes you either way.

Just look at Baku, it went from a laughing stock to a fan favourite in a couple years and its a Tilke circuit. but I think its also the most anti Tilke circuit he's ever made. It has a distinct visual identity (you know Baku straight away from 90% of the shots of it), there's some huge punishment for mistakes on parts of the lap and the long straight basically fucks with tire temps putting more a variable into play.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I finished 1997. It's a highly entertaining season. I will say that while no champion is "bad" Villeneuve comes really close - he's awful, particularly on the starts and made quite a few unforced errors. The FW19 was the best car in the field and a step above the other front runners - MP4/12, B197, and F310B - so the fact that he struggled so much against Schumacher in what was the 3rd or 4th best car most days is pretty sad.

One thing about this year that's fairly unique is how competitive the top 8 teams were - something that was rarely seen before and hasn't been since. The Jordan 197 probably could have won a race with non-trash drivers, the ditto the Ligier, and the Arrows should have won in Hungary. Had the Stewarts been more reliable they also would have been competitive.

On the other hand, perhaps the reason the season was so competitive is because the drivers, outside of the older 1980s-1993ish legacy racers, were simply awful. Panis, Barrichello and Wurz were impressive - the rest were very mediocre and made silly errors or had off weekends where they were nowhere. Quid touched on this before but it doesn't say very much when 500 year old Austrian driver after having two sinus operations and being out of the car for 3 races jumps back in and wins immediately.

Frond fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 18, 2021

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The pre-1981 races are absent due to licensing.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

the corona quid posted:

For what its worth here's my two cents/long diatribe.

The Tilke designs are pretty sterile and uniform and I think when you take a bird's eye view what is missing from those tracks two key things stick out: A distinct visual identity and the lack of ability to punish mistakes. Some of this stuff is out of his control (I don't think Eccelstone's push to sterilise ad sponorship at circuits and then having a bunch of anonymous circuits built in the middle of loving nowhere because corrupt third world governments don't want to highlight how lovely living conditions are there were really constraints he could address) but I think large portions of it are with in his control.

I liked a lot of the US street circuit races in the 80s, which weren't particularly good circuits but they had a tendency to punish mistakes hard which put a lot more pressure on the drivers. The modern Tilke circuits all have huge run off areas which basically means any mistake is relatively meaningless, in a sport where there's a two second gap from first to second three laps in who really gives a gently caress if you lose a tenth. The kart circuit I run on has some pretty brutal run offs but the fact is you need to maximise the speed through the corners because we have such a small straight, there's some corners you can manage with getting a couple of tire off the track but it still punishes you either way.

Just look at Baku, it went from a laughing stock to a fan favourite in a couple years and its a Tilke circuit. but I think its also the most anti Tilke circuit he's ever made. It has a distinct visual identity (you know Baku straight away from 90% of the shots of it), there's some huge punishment for mistakes on parts of the lap and the long straight basically fucks with tire temps putting more a variable into play.

The US street circuits were indeed awful tracks but also highly entertaining - Dallas '84 is a gongshow and great to watch.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
They gave Lewis Cunting Hamilton a loving KNIGHTHOOD?!?!

gently caress this sham "sport" forever.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Yeah the good thing about last season wasnt that the replacement circuits were better, is that they were different. Making every circuit be the Sakhir outer track wouldn't make the season better, it was just nice to have a race that didn't have the normal Tilke technical section.

I'm fine with having a couple of Tilke circuits but we also need some more circuits designed by the absolute madmen who created Monza etc.

E: also ambience is key and you don't get that at a patch of wasteland in the middle East. Monaco is a poo poo circuit for racing a car, but it's a great setting for holding a race.

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jan 18, 2021

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Tilkedromes are poo poo for a very simple reason: they're remastered greatest hits albums. You've got an amalgamation of all the good bits of other circuits, but there's nothing new and exciting and those 'good bits' pale in comparison to the originals. They should work in theory, but they just don't because the original is more frenetic, more on the edge, it's more raw. If you gently caress up the Maggots-Becketts-Chapel combination at Silverstone you're ending up in gravel, grass or the wall. At CotA it's just run off and you have to lift to avoid a penalty. That's why everybody was pissed when they replaced the gravel at Parabolica with run off. Suddenly everybody took the piss because they knew the worst that would happen is that their lap time would be deleted rather than their session ended.

I get that there needs to be enhanced safety, especially when you look at what happened in Bahrain last year, but at the same time there needs to be the hazard that if you push too hard your car be able to make it to the finish line.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

People would lose their poo poo but one way to solve it would be "If you go off where there would have been gravel you have to do a drive through".

Bit like the MotoGP long lap.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
They should just put a spike strip or caltrops on the tarmac. Yeah you still get to run but now you have a puncture, or four.

I get the idea of the long lap but I think physics is a fairer judge than having a human determine who gets punished or not.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jan 18, 2021

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

ROFLBOT posted:

I remember growing up in the late '70s/early '80s in the UK, F1 races were always televised, so why is accessible coverage of them now so patchy? Is it just Bernie things?

Bernie sold the rights to Sky on a multiple year deal just before he sold up. British GP has to be free to air by law but all the rest are only available with a sky subscription. You'll be shocked to hear that the audience has absolutely tanked and the coverage sucks.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Why not have a strip on the side of the track line, like the strips you use to tell an automated lawnmower where the edge of your property is, that just turns the car off. You cross the line, race over, but the technicians don't have to pay the price by rebuilding that thing. It doesn't even have to turn the car off, it could just be insta black flag.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jan 18, 2021

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Azza Bamboo posted:

Why not have a strip on the side of the track line, like the strips you use to tell an automated lawnmower where the edge of your property is, that just turns the car off. You cross the line, race over, but the technicians don't have to pay the price by rebuilding that thing. It doesn't even have to turn the car off, it could just be insta black flag.

Insta black flag has echoes of Indianapolis 05 where you could have 18 cars black flagged for a relatively minor infraction and nothing for spectators to watch. I would imagine shutting off the car would introduce all kinds of safety concerns. Better the driver is in control at all times than suddenly have a loss of power mid corner.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Dudley posted:

People would lose their poo poo but one way to solve it would be "If you go off where there would have been gravel you have to do a drive through".

Bit like the MotoGP long lap.

This would be really interesting to see, but teams would probably argue the fact and say not all tyres were over the line and make it a horrible drawn out issue. You would have to pair it with an instant system ala goal line tech and maybe even a review system like cricket where each team has to request a review almost instantly and only has a limited number.

Gravel is instant.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

the corona quid posted:

i'm just playing through some circuits on f1 2020 and jfc baku is hardcore. walls everywhere so you can't make any mistakes on most stretches. corners tight as hell. mad respect for the drivers getting through that without touching walls etc, esp. this last section where you think you can go fast but just going a littttttle wide in one corner had me banging the wall, happened basically 9/10 laps.

what makes a fun circuit to me is plenty spaces to overtake (e.g. monaco is just too narrow) and all of the types of corners. taking risk and going a little wide should be punished but not race-ending.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

The circuits that are fun to watch and the circuits I enjoy for gaming are pretty much the same - Spa, Suzuka, Melbourne, Montreal, Spielberg, Monza... Baku is too hard for me though, even the straight fucks me over when I go really fast.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

The circuits that are fun to watch and the circuits I enjoy for gaming are pretty much the same - Spa, Suzuka, Melbourne, Montreal, Spielberg, Monza... Baku is too hard for me though, even the straight fucks me over when I go really fast.

git gud bitch

jk I can barely keep the mazda on track in iracing

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Dictator. posted:

what makes a fun circuit to me is plenty spaces to overtake (e.g. monaco is just too narrow) and all of the types of corners. taking risk and going a little wide should be punished but not race-ending.

I would pretty vehemently disagree on your last point as it’s been that way for a large majority of the sport’s history and puts more on the line for a championship.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Most tilkedrome's runoff problems could be immediately solved by dynamiting the paved runoffs and replacing them with a car width of grass and a gravel trap, or do the VIR solution and have about 2 miles of gras sin every direction, but the ground slopes immediately away from the track so any offs suck you completely off into the grass for about 10 seconds as you work your way back. Also now your radiators are filled with grass, better come to a stop and let that fall out, or go through the pits to get it off.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

The problem with modern F1 tracks is they’re effectively hundred-million dollar parking lot rally courses. CotA is one of the worst offenders, IMHO.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Dangerllama posted:

The problem with modern F1 tracks is they’re effectively hundred-million dollar parking lot rally courses. CotA is one of the worst offenders, IMHO.

Have you ever tried watching a race at paul ricard?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

ilmucche posted:

touché

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

if I were hermann tilke I would simply design good tracks

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
"Lewis won 2016"

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

poty posted:

"Lewis won 2016"

chills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

i have never watched a race at paul ricard