Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

sporklift posted:

If there is a better program for recording vinyl I don't know of it. It's free, powerful and pretty intuitive to use. I tried using multiple DAWs in the past but usually end up recording into Audacity and exporting the file.

Fake edit: I was gonna tell you to download the LAME mp3 encoder but it seems like that is included now.

I still use a warez copy of Cool Edit Pro from around 2003 and it rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

sporklift posted:

It also looks like it has a reverse play option. The included stylus is probably better. I can't tell but the platter might be heavier?

The 120 also has a reverse play button.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
Playing records backwards? More like LP666 amirite?

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
Just got my replacement Cowboy Bebop jacket, but only the outer part, I think at this point I'll just be fine with the bent inner sleeves.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

sporklift posted:

It also looks like it has a reverse play option. The included stylus is probably better. I can't tell but the platter might be heavier?

The LP120 has reverse play

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Why would you reverse play outside of the 5 gimmick records

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

screaden posted:

If you have an easier method to summon demons I'd love to hear it.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

screaden posted:

Sampling!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

screaden posted:

Sometimes records have back masking and I want to know what they said. Also this one time I was having fun manipulating Eddie Murphy's Party All the Time single.

Enos Cabell posted:

If you have an easier method to summon demons I'd love to hear it.

https://www.discogs.com/Vincent-Price-Witchcraft-Magic-An-Adventure-In-Demonology/master/881036

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 16, 2021

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I need this.
I need this.
I need this.
I need this.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

I need this.
I need this.
I need this.
I need this.

I saw it first!

:frogout:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
heres my turntable setup, i got the stand from turntable lab recently which i like a lot. still moving all my crap to it

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

CPL593H posted:

Sometimes records have back masking and I want to know what they said. Also this one time I was having fun manipulating Eddie Murphy's Party All the Time single.

https://www.discogs.com/Vincent-Price-Witchcraft-Magic-An-Adventure-In-Demonology/master/881036

I don't have that, but I do have this soundtrack.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Ok that is cool as hell

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

Oh hey I have that record! Never really listened to it. I think I bought it for my cousin who is a Vincent Price nut but ended up keeping it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

pram posted:

heres my turntable setup, i got the stand from turntable lab recently which i like a lot. still moving all my crap to it

Get some speaker stands for cryin out loud!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

BigFactory posted:

Maybe that's one of those listening rooms with posters on the ceiling.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

Oh hey I have that record! Never really listened to it. I think I bought it for my cousin who is a Vincent Price nut but ended up keeping it.

Would you be interested in selling it?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

BigFactory posted:

yeah i usually use headphones from that amp but my speaker situation is def crap

Boinks posted:

Maybe that's one of those listening rooms with posters on the ceiling.

lol

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

Would you be interested in selling it?

Maybe. I'll check it out tonight. It might be kinda beat up. Also it doesn't have that inner booklet/sleeves.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

Maybe. I'll check it out tonight. It might be kinda beat up. Also it doesn't have that inner booklet/sleeves.

If it's not extremely scuffed I'll be interested.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

I wanna call second dibs, in case it’s too scratched up.

Interested in it for sampling purposes.

edit: rescinded my dibs. something else came up.

dorium fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 18, 2021

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Phil Spector, famed music producer and murderer, dies at 81

A terrible human, a psychopath, a murderer, a wearer of bad wigs and majorly influenced music.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
A statement from Yoko Ono:

"Waaaahhhohhhh woooahhhh yaaayaaaayaaaaahh wowowowowowow ohhhhhhh"

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Welp, lets lighten the mood with a classic poo poo post of vinyl pickups:

There really needs to not be a record seller guy on the way to my comic book guy in the same building. Record dude wants top dollar for his stuff but it's generally in good condition and it's at least different stuff. I'm just proud that I was way more selective in what I bought this time.

pwn
May 27, 2004

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Phil Spector, famed music producer and murderer, dies at 81

A terrible human, a psychopath, a murderer, a wearer of bad wigs and majorly influenced music.

Would that a mod embed some unnecessary violins and poo poo on this page of the thread in memory.

Turbinosamente posted:

Welp, lets lighten the mood with a classic poo poo post of vinyl pickups:

There really needs to not be a record seller guy on the way to my comic book guy in the same building. Record dude wants top dollar for his stuff but it's generally in good condition and it's at least different stuff. I'm just proud that I was way more selective in what I bought this time.

h*ck yeah that’s factory sealed for you’are protection :cool:

I hope you kept those hype stickers

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

pwn posted:

h*ck yeah that’s factory sealed for you’are protection :cool:

I hope you kept those hype stickers

Even though the shrinkwrap is already falling off on Bebop Deluxe, I kept it as is hype stickers and all. Actually, The Howl was the one that was still sealed I just did the old slit open the side thing. The little white sticker on it is from the seller claiming it's a local psych band. While it is indeed a local band I've never heard of it sure as hell ain't psych.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Man I wish I kept my discogs updated.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

free code for some disco/house.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
rather than a download code can you provide me a time machine so i can purchase that record that i had never heard of until now, cuz goddamn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTW3Fb2L-Z0

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

dorium posted:

free code for some disco/house.

Snagged, thank you!

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

Sorry. Work and life got a bit wacky the last couple days. I'll get around to looking/listening in the next few days.

Looks like it is this version

https://www.discogs.com/Vincent-Price-Witchcraft-Magic-An-Adventure-In-Demonology/release/2706337

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

Sorry. Work and life got a bit wacky the last couple days. I'll get around to looking/listening in the next few days.

Looks like it is this version

https://www.discogs.com/Vincent-Price-Witchcraft-Magic-An-Adventure-In-Demonology/release/2706337

Hey no big deal. People have lives. When ever is good for you.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Not necessarily vinyl but: does anyone have recommendations for powered bookshelf speakers? Sub $500, sub $300 even better. Connecting to a Denon DP-300F if that matters. I plan to use the built in preamp. Room is like 15x12.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Gonna rep Kanto Yu line. I have the Yu-3, here’s the Yu-4 speakers

https://smile.amazon.com/Kanto-Powered-Speakers-Bluetooth-Preamp/dp/B01N31D04S/

I think 6 is the latest, but I figured these are the sweet spot of price and features. My 3s work just as good now as they did when I got them in 2017, paired with my subwoofer, they fill the room.

There’s also a cheaper version released earlier last year, called simply Kanto Yu, which lacks the auxillary and optical inputs, USB charging port, and preamp.

Standard line

Budget model

While you obviously don’t need the latter two, I personally would not bother with something that doesn’t have aux and optical unless it was a better deal. But whether those inputs etc are worth $80 is up to you of course.

Here’s a Techmoan review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOlPl7JMeis

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Hey thanks. I actually just remembered I kind of want a line out on the speakers so I can hook it up to a computer as well to make rips. Is that something that exists?

pwn
May 27, 2004

Toe Rag posted:

Hey thanks. I actually just remembered I kind of want a line out on the speakers so I can hook it up to a computer as well to make rips. Is that something that exists?

I don’t know! I have a separate preamp and that’s how I get my rips done.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

Hey no big deal. People have lives. When ever is good for you.

So I gave it a listen today and it sounds pretty drat good. There are some pops and crackle on the second record but I wouldn't be surprised if they went away with a quick cleaning. This is a surprisingly quiet record for a 1969 spoken word thing. Usually these are beat to hell.

I don't want to get into :filez: territory so I'll pm you a link with the recording I made if you want to check it out.

Looks like I paid $25 so with media mail I could send it for $30. Priority would probably be around $12. Let me know if ya want it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

So I gave it a listen today and it sounds pretty drat good. There are some pops and crackle on the second record but I wouldn't be surprised if they went away with a quick cleaning. This is a surprisingly quiet record for a 1969 spoken word thing. Usually these are beat to hell.

I don't want to get into :filez: territory so I'll pm you a link with the recording I made if you want to check it out.

Looks like I paid $25 so with media mail I could send it for $30. Priority would probably be around $12. Let me know if ya want it.

Check thy messages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
since we've already got some hardware questions on this page, I guess I'll throw mine in here, since I feel like they're way too pedestrian for the gadgets forum:

I've got an Audio Technica LP120 and a pair of Vanatoo Transparent Zeros. The LP120 has a built in preamp, and the T0s are powered speakers, so I just plug its RCA cable into an RCA -> 3.5mm adapter, which is then plugged into the analog 3.5mm input on the T0s, sounds great.

I've got two nagging problems with this setup, though:

- I've got no way to listen to records with headphones, since the T0s don't have a headphone output. My headphones are real basic cheapo stuff, no amps required, so I really just need a 3.5mm port as far as I know.
- The volume is just controlled by the T0s, which don't seem to have a way to set per-input volume settings. Vinyl being vinyl, I find myself constantly adjusting the speaker volume for various records and times of day, which then throws the volume of all my other stuff plugged into the T0s (PC through USB, phone through Bluetooth) out of wack.

So I'm trying to find some kind of box, or boxes, that will give me:

- A volume control between the record player and my speakers
- A way to both have a 3.5mm audio out to headphones and 3.5mm (or RCA, I guess) out to my speakers. Volume control should control both, I guess, though I imagine it'll require adjusting every time I swap outputs, which isn't a big deal.

I can't really find a box that does this that isn't very expensive and doing way, way more than I need. Like, I could get some hilariously overkill mixing board, or I could try something like a headphone amp with a separate preamp output (I looked at the manual and apparently the volume knob does control both outputs), but I feel like there should be a cheaper option given I really do not need an actual amp. Unless I actually do. gently caress if I know how audio travels over wires well enough to say.