Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Saoshyant posted:

There's three Wargame (the series, not the genre) titles. I'd assume Red Dragon (the latest) would be the better pick, but I think I heard at some point that the earlier games were better? If someone were to play only one, which one should they play?

red dragon, but with the caveat get the one your pals have to party game with it because no one else is playing it and playing with strangers is pretty unfun with this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Now I'm trying to remember an ad for a strategy game that had two live actors moving pieces on a board or something like that? I thought it was Wargame but no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ohNzHWL7FI ?

It's by the Wargame people but was far less successful, though in same ways - terrible balance aside - I actually like it more.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Thanks... What a stratagem there

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Cardiovorax posted:

After trying the Bloodstained classic game mode, I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed by it. I thought it would be something more like the Dragon Quest XI 2D mode, but it's really just the regular game rejiggered a little to be more like Super Castlevania. I guess it makes sense that a free game mode added to the game years after the fact wouldn't be anything more than that, I just thought there'd be a bit more to it.

I played the first couple levels, been years since I played one of the old Castlevanias so I might be off, but it feels to me like it's primarily patterned after the original NES Castlevania, which I recall being stiffer and less interesting than what followed

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'm afraid I'm really more of a metroidvania fan than Castlevania fan, so I have to bow to your superior expertise there. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

More people should play Deep Rock Galactic. Its the best L4D/Vermintide style mission-based horde shooter in a long time. Hell, the pubbies are remarkably non-toxic the vast majority of the time (The game does a lot of little and big things to create a strong sense of comradery in its dwarves). And its a real blast with other goons exploring proceedurally generated caves (Which are usually varied, interesting, and neat), mining minerals, and shooting bugs.

We have beer!

The soundtrack is some great stuff too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi1CASWEkt4

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 18, 2021

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Do we think the Scott Pilgrim game will come to Steam in a year? I knew it was going to be available on the ubi store, but seeing it on Epic gives me hope

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Galaga Galaxian posted:

More people should play Deep Rock Galactic. Its the best L4D/Vermintide style mission-based horde shooter in a long time. Hell, the pubbies are remarkably non-toxic the vast majority of the time (The game does a lot of little and big things to create a strong sense of comradery in its dwarves). And its a real blast with other goons exploring proceedurally generated caves (Which are usually varied, interesting, and neat), mining minerals, and shooting bugs.

We have beer!

The soundtrack is some great stuff too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi1CASWEkt4

I should get back into that. And yes, for the most part pubbies are more than happy to help you out.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

More people should play Deep Rock Galactic. Its the best L4D/Vermintide style mission-based horde shooter in a long time.

Would be sold, but a 4-player limit means it's no good for my group of 6. Too many games are limited to only 4. :(

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

More people should play Deep Rock Galactic. Its the best L4D/Vermintide style mission-based horde shooter in a long time. Hell, the pubbies are remarkably non-toxic the vast majority of the time (The game does a lot of little and big things to create a strong sense of comradery in its dwarves).

I think this is a lesson that other co-op games could probably draw from. It's not a silver bullet, but really silly little things like an emote button dedicated to cheering on your team members can do a lot to set the "vibe" for a multiplayer game and I think it seriously trickles down into better player behavior overall at the end of the day.

When I was playing Valorant a lot, which is a round-based shooter where you're probably going to spend some of the game dead and spectating your teammates, I always thought it would be cool if it ripped off Twitch's bit/cheer system a little and gave you some daily regenerating resource you could spend to hype up a teammate and cheer them on and give them bonus XP (which in this game is something that unlocks new cosmetics and poo poo, nothing that affects the actual match) or whatever while you were watching them. There's definitely room for games to grow in that space that hasn't been explored yet

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Hi, *cough* splatoon*cough*

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

goferchan posted:

I think this is a lesson that other co-op games could probably draw from. It's not a silver bullet, but really silly little things like an emote button dedicated to cheering on your team members can do a lot to set the "vibe" for a multiplayer game and I think it seriously trickles down into better player behavior overall at the end of the day.

When I was playing Valorant a lot, which is a round-based shooter where you're probably going to spend some of the game dead and spectating your teammates, I always thought it would be cool if it ripped off Twitch's bit/cheer system a little and gave you some daily regenerating resource you could spend to hype up a teammate and cheer them on and give them bonus XP (which in this game is something that unlocks new cosmetics and poo poo, nothing that affects the actual match) or whatever while you were watching them. There's definitely room for games to grow in that space that hasn't been explored yet

I think it's the combination of the salute button and being able to use Ctrl to communicate basically everything else under normal circumstances. Found some nitra! Gold here! Detonator, lads, get back! ROCK AND STONE.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

nordichammer posted:

Do we think the Scott Pilgrim game will come to Steam in a year? I knew it was going to be available on the ubi store, but seeing it on Epic gives me hope

Sadly it's unlikely. Ubisoft has a blanket deal with Epic to not release on steam.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Now I'm trying to remember an ad for a strategy game that had two live actors moving pieces on a board or something like that? I thought it was Wargame but no
it's not what you're looking for, i just want to link it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCSwYO2TEhk&t=713s

Orv
May 4, 2011
I know, rules wise, why that is an hour and a half. How is it an hour and a half of that.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So does Kentucky Route Zero become less boring? I'm in Act 1 Scene V (with the mine cart) and it just isn't all that engaging.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Something I have yet to figure out about Dead Strand: the proliferation of Bridges to Nowhere with hundreds of thousands of likes.

It's always in an area with timefall, so my initial thought is it's intended to be used as a timefall shelter. But...
  • timefall shelters exist
  • you would almost certainly need to have unlocked timefall shelters by this point
  • they're both built from lv1 PCC's
  • bridges take way more chiral bandwidth
  • bridges ALSO need you to supply additional materials
  • if it's to protect vehicles specifically, the PCC bridges are poo poo at that too; park a vehicle under one, leave the area so it unloads, come back, and it'll be parked on top of the loving bridge instead!
IDGI :psyduck:

Orv
May 4, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

So does Kentucky Route Zero become less boring? I'm in Act 1 Scene V (with the mine cart) and it just isn't all that engaging.

It is probably not your thing, frankly.

Orv fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 18, 2021

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Something I have yet to figure out about Dead Strand: the proliferation of Bridges to Nowhere with hundreds of thousands of likes.

It's always in an area with timefall, so my initial thought is it's intended to be used as a timefall shelter. But...
  • timefall shelters exist
  • you would almost certainly need to have unlocked timefall shelters by this point
  • they're both built from lv1 PCC's
  • bridges take way more chiral bandwidth
  • bridges ALSO need you to supply additional materials
  • if it's to protect vehicles specifically, the PCC bridges are poo poo at that too; park a vehicle under one, leave the area so it unloads, come back, and it'll be parked on top of the loving bridge instead!
IDGI :psyduck:

People put bridges in the paths you take in cutscenes and when dragged by BTs so they automatically get likes.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Smash that like button and get the dopamine hit, soldier

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If you could build bridges anywhere, why wouldn't you build bridges everywhere?

e: bit of an off-beat question, but I can't figure out a better place to ask: does someone have a convenient MP3 of the MGS codec call sound? I want to set it as my phone's ringtone.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jan 18, 2021

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Orv posted:

Yeah, I'm one of those who couldn't get into it. The later acts add some slightly more audiovisually interesting scenes, but overall it doesn't get any more appealing, if one doesn't like the first act.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

lunar detritus posted:

People put bridges in the paths you take in cutscenes and when dragged by BTs so they automatically get likes.

I'm pretty sure all the ones I've seen have been nowhere near either of those things. Timefall yes, BTs no.

Cardiovorax posted:

e: bit of an off-beat question, but I can't figure out a better place to ask: does someone have a convenient MP3 of the MGS codec call sound? I want to set it as my phone's ringtone.

Single ring or continuous flavor?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Either works! Much obliged, friend.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ghostrunner is on sale for 18bux. Has anybody played Ghostrunner?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I played the demo. I thought it was early alpha stuff, then was surprised it was released shortly after. If the game is anything like the demo, expect a lot of frustrating platform deaths due to loose controls, and not-freeform combat areas with few viable paths. Wasn't a positive impression, which isn't reinforced by it being so steeply discounted already.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

Ghostrunner is on sale for 18bux. Has anybody played Ghostrunner?

The best way I can describe it is "Hotline Miami + Mirror's Edge." You can move around freely like in Mirror's Edge with wallrunning, and can slow down time a little to dodge bullets. And you die in a hit.

This means that the game, at least for the bits I played, is essentially an action puzzle game. Figure out the right path from checkpoint to checkpoint, and then hope you have the execution to pull it off, while dodging bullets and melee-ing everyone to death. And the checkpoints, even in like the first stage or two, can be lengthy. I dropped it because I didn't like this combination. But there is a subsection of gamers who enjoy this kind of trial and error gameplay and if that sounds up your alley I say go for it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Artelier posted:

This means that the game, at least for the bits I played, is essentially an action puzzle game. Figure out the right path from checkpoint to checkpoint, and then hope you have the execution to pull it off, while dodging bullets and melee-ing everyone to death. And the checkpoints, even in like the first stage or two, can be lengthy. I dropped it because I didn't like this combination. But there is a subsection of gamers who enjoy this kind of trial and error gameplay and if that sounds up your alley I say go for it.
It feels really good once you get an encounter down and you are zooming between enemies and bullets like the cyberpunk ninja your character is. The trouble is it takes 30+ tries to get to that level.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jan 18, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

The trouble is it takes 30+ tries to get to that level.
That does sound a lot like Hotline Miami. Not a game I particularly enjoyed, but one can't say there's not an audience for it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hm I didn't know everything was a one-hit kill. I'll have to try the demo first to see if that gets too annoying.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Orv posted:

It's a hipster conceptual walking sim. Each ep has at least one utterly brilliant moment and lots of clever stuff, but if you're but in the mood to art they're hard going.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

It feels really good once you get an encounter down and you are zooming between enemies and bullets like the cyberpunk ninja your character is. The trouble is it takes 30+ tries to get to that level.

Oh, that's a bummer. Mirrir's Edge felt amazing when I chained together a good route but it was also forgiving enough that I could flub a move or two and still keep on going.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ghostrunner is one of the best games in recent memory imo. It's one of those games with a perfect one idea it focuses on and a really tight execution of it. It will remind you however how much reflexes you lost since you played Quake 3 Arena. Mirror's Edge Hotline Miami is a pretty good description of it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fruits of the sea posted:

Oh, that's a bummer. Mirrir's Edge felt amazing when I chained together a good route but it was also forgiving enough that I could flub a move or two and still keep on going.

Looking at Ghostrunner as a parkour game first is gonna be an exercise in frustration, it is a puzzle (murder) game where parkour is your methodology, you will not chain a good run together the first time ever until like the very end of the game and sometimes not even then.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think I might've asked this before, but has anyone here played Metal Unit? The art makes it look kind of skeevy, but it seems like it might otherwise be a pretty decent metroidvania game.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
The Hitman 3 situation is a huge bummer because due to the lack of sync between Steam/EGS I am not buying it on EGS so I can't play it until next year.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

It’s not a 1 to 1 comparison but I’ve likened KRZ to a museum. Obviously it’s way more interactive and (somewhat) character driven than any museum could be but if you aren’t there for what they’re showing then it’s just going to be boring.

This comparison does briefly become extremely literal between acts 1 and 2 though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Palpek posted:

Ghostrunner is one of the best games in recent memory imo. It's one of those games with a perfect one idea it focuses on and a really tight execution of it. It will remind you however how much reflexes you lost since you played Quake 3 Arena. Mirror's Edge Hotline Miami is a pretty good description of it.

confirming this take

one more bit of info tho is that like super meat boy and other (good) tight-execution games, restarts are seamless and load-free. Gets you right back in and trying to perfect your run

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Unchecking DLC in Hitman 2 on Steam does not seem to free up any space for me?

Also, frustrating I can't unlock H1 levels since I owned it on PS4 but understandable I guess as it's a different platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Unlucky7 posted:

I should get back into that. And yes, for the most part pubbies are more than happy to help you out.

On February 4th they are releasing the next update with two new biomes, new type of Dreadnought, veteran Mactera and a limited time hat. If you haven't played since early November they also added two new mission types.