Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Gorefiend posted:

PG13 Abercrombie is dead on, but I'm stubborn and ended up finishing it. The sequel was one of the worst things I've ever read, and randomly introduced an entirely different villain in the last chunk.

Ok yes gently caress it, time to look for a new audiobook to listen to. Good thing it was only 3 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Queer Salutations posted:

I mean, she's also getting dunked on because she defended her position by saying anyone who liked fanfiction were pro-capitalist shills who were happy when Amazon warehouse workers died.

She didn't say that, twitter user Kevin James said that. She said working conditions at Amazon warehouses were obviously a much more pressing social justice issue in publishing than criticisms of fanfic, and yet criticism of fanfic consistently elicits more outrage.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
"Why are you complaining about my hot takes when there are starving children in Africa?" is always lame.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I learned a lot of good prose skills from fanfiction.

That said I think they are not as good for teaching structural skills.

If only we could set the discourse gauge to somewhere in the middle.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I just find fanfiction difficult to read. Fairly or unfairly it always feels . . . . paint-by-numbers. I want to be surprised when I read and I rarely have confidence that a given work of fanfic is going to be surprising. For better or worse when I see the label "fanfic" I expect it to be pure fanservice and that turns me away.

HopperUK posted:

I know Naomi Novik did and her work is excellent these days.

The Temeraire series was so painful and disappointing. It starts out with a great concept but by about three books in none of the characters felt like believable people any more, just ludicrously modern sentiment generators swanning about the landscape.

OTOH I've read plenty of "derivative works" (League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, etc) that were excellent; one of my favorite books is A Night in the Lonesome October.

Either the label "fanfic" is biasing me, or there's a set of modern conventions which conventionally get labelled "fanfic" and that set of conventions just isn't to my taste.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 17, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The Temeraire series was so painful and disappointing. It starts out with a great concept but by about three books in none of the characters felt like believable people any more, just ludicrously modern sentiment generators swanning about the landscape.

Yeah I hear that, I dropped off that series too. But 'Uprooted' is really good.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I read her latest, A Deadly Education, and it was easy to read although I did not find any of the characters outside of the main two very well drawn. It mostly got by on having everybody constantly in danger which made the pacing brisk.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
A lot of fanfic is bad because a lot of everything is bad, 80/20 rule and all that. Fanfic is somewhat unique in this regard in that we all get access to the slush pile instead of it being curated by publishers.

Also, this is a rad article about a bunch of authors experience with their time writing fanfic, including N.K. Jemisin. https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2019/10/how-fanfiction-improves-writing/599197/

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Burning God (Poppy War #3) by RF Kuang - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084VP8KNB/

The Girl and the Stars (Book of the Ice #1) by Mark Lawrence - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VJBBFN6/

The Relentless Moon (Lady Astronauts #3) by Mary Robinette Kowal - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X17XSPS/

The Hidden Girl and Other Stories by Ken Liu - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TD6GJNT/

The Once and Future Witches by Alix E Harrow - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085C71YG5/

The Empress of Salt and Fortune (Singing Hills Cycle #1) by Nghi Vo - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VH6Y4JD/

Some less discussed authors today. Anyone have any recommendations?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

pradmer posted:

I really, really enjoyed his previous series Book of the Ancestor set in the same world, but the new one turned out to be a disappointing drag. If that counts as a recommendation.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Also kind of a coincidence but I started KJ Parkers The Company, which seems like a much better "getting the band back together" story, at least so far.

Are you familiar with Parker, or is this your first?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I just find fanfiction difficult to read. Fairly or unfairly it always feels . . . . paint-by-numbers. I want to be surprised when I read and I rarely have confidence that a given work of fanfic is going to be surprising. For better or worse when I see the label "fanfic" I expect it to be pure fanservice and that turns me away.

OTOH I've read plenty of "derivative works" (League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, etc) that were excellent; one of my favorite books is A Night in the Lonesome October.

Either the label "fanfic" is biasing me, or there's a set of modern conventions which conventionally get labelled "fanfic" and that set of conventions just isn't to my taste.

As someone who writes and reads fanfic: god there's so much garbage fic out there. Even with a rec list in a fandom I like with pairings I like it can still be a crapshoot if a fic will actually be, y'know, well-written.

That said here's my favorite response to the fanfic drama on twitter:

https://twitter.com/lanzhanstan/status/1350570263004520453

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

russian oligarchs can stop you, by buying livejournal!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Are there any other books or series with habitats similar to the Orbitals from The Culture? I like the idea of massive million km stations, and loved the one book where the girl was designing continents for fun on one.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Groke posted:

Are you familiar with Parker, or is this your first?

The only other one I've read was 16 ways to defend a walled city.

Uhhh why? Should I be expecting something bad?

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018
The fanfic drama is dumb but I’ve read several of Benedict’s stories and though she’s not what you’d call prolific by any means, she actually is a super talented writer, much better than most of the Fanfic Defenders losing their poo poo at her imo.

I think her takes were unnecessarily incendiary in their phrasing and not the most clear but I don’t think she deserves to be dogpiled just for making a bunch of Big Name Fans uncomfortable.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

General Battuta posted:

If only we could set the discourse gauge to somewhere in the middle.

This is the dream.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
It just seems like fanfiction is it's own thing, and a lot of people end up getting good at writing fanfiction, which isn't necessarily the same as getting better at writing.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

pradmer posted:

I’m tempted to get this one. I almost made it to the end of her previous book which was well written but didn’t quite grab me as much as I hoped it would given the praise.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

Parker varies between "actually not all that awful apart from some mass murder and a bit of a sharp twist at the end", which is where you started, through to "oh god no please don't let this be as awful as I think - oh wait it's worse".

Awful, in this context, does not mean badly written. Parker is a pretty good writer in everything I've read of his, and I still can't quite believe he's actually Tom Holt.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Bad as in "badly written", no.

Bad as in "bad things happen", well, I've read most of Parker's novels and 16 ways was... the second-closest to a happy ending, so far.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

The Sweet Hereafter posted:

Parker varies between "actually not all that awful apart from some mass murder and a bit of a sharp twist at the end", which is where you started, through to "oh god no please don't let this be as awful as I think - oh wait it's worse".

Awful, in this context, does not mean badly written. Parker is a pretty good writer in everything I've read of his, and I still can't quite believe he's actually Tom Holt.
It's a lot easier to see the connection if you look at his historical fiction. I'd personally recommend The Walled Orchard duology (Goatsong, The Walled Orchard). They're the memoirs of an Athenian comic playwright that focus on his experiences in the Peloponnesian War and the collapse of Athens. There's less in the way of violence than in the books he wrote under the Parker name (well, save for the depiction of the Syracuse campaign in the second book), but that rueful humor in the face of human folly is still there.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Marshal Radisic posted:

It's a lot easier to see the connection if you look at his historical fiction. I'd personally recommend The Walled Orchard duology (Goatsong, The Walled Orchard). They're the memoirs of an Athenian comic playwright that focus on his experiences in the Peloponnesian War and the collapse of Athens. There's less in the way of violence than in the books he wrote under the Parker name (well, save for the depiction of the Syracuse campaign in the second book), but that rueful humor in the face of human folly is still there.

That last sentence was very artfully put, I like it.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

There is a similar fan fiction debate going on in SFL Archives 1993. Only it's Mercedes Lackey, Marion Zimmer Bradley, and Chelsea Quinn Yarbro going berserk over fanfiction getting published that over-writes novels/short stories that they already had in the pipeline and editors supposedly then shitcanning everything because of the fanfiction seeing print first. Copyright Infringement lawsuits, NDA's being required for Lackey & MZB fanzines, etc are being discussed.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

pradmer posted:

The Burning God (Poppy War #3) by RF Kuang - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084VP8KNB/

The Relentless Moon (Lady Astronauts #3) by Mary Robinette Kowal - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X17XSPS/

The Hidden Girl and Other Stories by Ken Liu - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TD6GJNT/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085C71YG5/

The Empress of Salt and Fortune (Singing Hills Cycle #1) by Nghi Vo - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VH6Y4JD/

The Burning God massively pissed me off as the ending to an +1500 page trilogy because it was despressing grimdark poo poo, but if you’ve read the others and are prepared for depressing grimdark poo poo, go for it

I’ve only read The Lady Astronaut and I’m still on the fence about getting the rest so I’m reading them from the library instead. Again, probably only worth it if you’re completing the series

Ken Liu’s short fiction is always great. I bought that one sight unseen

I’ve only read The Doors of January by Alix E Harrow and it was really good, but I haven’t read this one. I know at least one person who absolutely loved it, but I’m thinking of waiting for the library for this one myself

Not sure at all about Empress of Salt and Fortune, when it’s described as a “gut punch,” after getting burned (it’s about fire magic lol) reading the Poppy War

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Groke posted:

Bad as in "badly written", no.

Bad as in "bad things happen", well, I've read most of Parker's novels and 16 ways was... the second-closest to a happy ending, so far.
Academic Exercises may be all short shories but it was also charmingly upbeat by Parker standards, can't recommend highly enough etc

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Relentless moon was a pretty fun locked room mystery in the lady astronaut world. No idea what it’s like to have the specific psychological issue anorexia the main character struggles with but it “felt” real - couldn’t recall another book I read from that perspective.

Had no idea the third poppy war book was out but the second one was so relentlessly miserable I have no desire to re-engage.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Doctor Faustine posted:

I think her takes were unnecessarily incendiary in their phrasing and not the most clear but I don’t think she deserves to be dogpiled just for making a bunch of Big Name Fans uncomfortable.

Hmm I wonder why somebody who hosts a fairly low-numbers podcast with a Patreon attached to it would tweet out a deliberately controversial take

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

buffalo all day posted:

Had no idea the third poppy war book was out but the second one was so relentlessly miserable I have no desire to re-engage.

This is wise
Third one is even worse

Edit: I probably should have known better tbh. I mean, I expected after the end of book one with the rape of Nanking and magical Hiroshima to go uphill not downhill? Silly me to imagine three books of non-stop war might lead to something worth it!

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 18, 2021

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

started Murderbot, find it delightful

I enjoyed all of them, keep reading.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm glad I had no compulsion to finish the series after reading the Poppy War then.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!

New Super Metis posted:

I'm glad I had no compulsion to finish the series after reading the Poppy War then.

That's where I am now, but I did buy the second book awhile ago. I guess I'm safe just pushing it way down the reading list for now. A little disappointing but it's not like I'm going to run out of stuff to read. Thanks for the opinions everyone.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

freebooter posted:

Hmm I wonder why somebody who hosts a fairly low-numbers podcast with a Patreon attached to it would tweet out a deliberately controversial take

extremely vapid take

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Aren’t all WH40k/Warcraft novels essentially fanfic?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Cardiac posted:

what's your point

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Cardiac posted:

More licensed fanfic like Star Wars EU.

Have you considered that KJA stories are hot derivative garbage, and exercises in how to shoehorn the most ridiculous deus ex contrivance into 1000 chapters of flimflam.

Who came out of the star wars EU fanfic mill.

Has any ex EU writer become big in their own right?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Collateral posted:

Have you considered that KJA stories are hot derivative garbage, and exercises in how to shoehorn the most ridiculous deus ex contrivance into 1000 chapters of flimflam.

Zahn's still truckin'.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

jng2058 posted:

Zahn's still truckin'.

Zahn had already published half a dozen books by the time he did Star Wars, and while he wasn't a big name by any stretch, he was a solid mid-lister.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

quantumfoam posted:

There is a similar fan fiction debate going on in SFL Archives 1993. Only it's Mercedes Lackey, Marion Zimmer Bradley, and Chelsea Quinn Yarbro going berserk over fanfiction getting published that over-writes novels/short stories that they already had in the pipeline and editors supposedly then shitcanning everything because of the fanfiction seeing print first. Copyright Infringement lawsuits, NDA's being required for Lackey & MZB fanzines, etc are being discussed.

I remember this drama from the time, and also how many years later the fan MZB was talking about came forward and made a very plausible claim that the true story was MZB was trying to rip her off instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Collateral posted:

Judy Blundell looks like the only real case for that. Wrote a lot of EU under the pseudonym Jude Watson then had success writing YA/MG under her real name. Otherwise it's people with careers entirely in novelization and media tie-ins, or already recognizable genre authors dipping in to write a few SW books like Zahn, Hambly, Kube-McDowell, etc.