Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

I bought my rectoverb 25 shortly after they were released (and before the price increase). I considered selling it about six months ago but decided against it because I remembered how much I hate using Reverb and ebay.

Now I can't part with it because if I wanted to go back to it some day it would likely cost me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

If Gibson changes one minor thing about any Mesa amp they will, tubes and all, immediately evaporate into a milky cloud of vaporized Red Bull. I don’t think they can afford to do things differently from an engineering and QA standpoint.

gonna hazard a guess they'll leave the existing products alone though i question their ability to get their corksniffing bluesdentist customer base on board with more modern high gain amps

e: lol

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i really like my triple crown. but if they kill that line it'll be even cooler

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The other thing is Gibson has made rad amps both way long ago and more recently with the Goldtone amps.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

it’d be cool if we get mesa-quality reissues of the ga-35 and the ga-40

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Declan MacManus posted:

That’d be awesome. I just checked and Paul Stevens was head of engineering at Trace Elliot when Gibson bought them. He designed the awesome Goldtone above before moving on to Peavey and then Blackstar. Gibson seems to have an example of utilizing newly-acquired talent for good ends sometimes, if only before they bury the brand.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

If Gibson changes one minor thing about any Mesa amp they will, tubes and all, immediately evaporate into a milky cloud of vaporized Red Bull. I don’t think they can afford to do things differently from an engineering and QA standpoint.

they're somehow going to alter a single support inside the cab that will introduce a catastrophic point of failure, bringing manna from heaven to struggling amp techs.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

creamcorn posted:

they're somehow going to alter a single support inside the cab that will introduce a catastrophic point of failure, bringing manna from heaven to struggling amp techs.

As a current amp tech apprentice I cant wait for all the business fixing Mesas when Gibson inevitably fucks em up

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Declan MacManus posted:

Yeah the press release also at least talked about becoming a Gibson Amplifier custom shop so you can expect some, at least in the short term, cool (but very expensive) re-issues of older Gibson amps

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

As a current amp tech apprentice I cant wait for all the business fixing Mesas when Gibson inevitably fucks em up

Aren't Mesas basically the worst thing to fix? I seem to remember amp techs refusing to touch then because they're crammed full of a billion components in way too little space.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

BonHair posted:

Aren't Mesas basically the worst thing to fix? I seem to remember amp techs refusing to touch then because they're crammed full of a billion components in way too little space.

I havent worked on a Mesa yet since I only started recently, but in the shop I apprentice at we straight up refuse to fix certain Peavey's because the chassis are set up in such a bizzare way no amount of $$$ is worth the time and frustration to fix them. Ill ask the boss man on Tuesday which models they are since I forget and report back.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yes because of Mesa’s product development approach of including everything imaginable, usually from previous versions of the same line, inside one amp. Complex switching and countless interconnected circuit boards are all sandwiched tightly together making fault-finding brutal.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I've never seen a tube tester built INTO an amp before. Anyone know whats going on here? The one we have at work is HUGE I cant imagine one fitting into a chassis with an amp. But then again that one is analog.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Yes because of Mesa’s product development approach of including everything imaginable, usually from previous versions of the same line, inside one amp. Complex switching and countless interconnected circuit boards are all sandwiched tightly together making fault-finding brutal.

Now take that, have it reverse engineered and assembled by the lowest bidder by the manufacturer of the amp in the post above, add some weird poo poo like built in tube testers, and you'll appreciate why most of the music stores in my city stopped carrying them about a year after Behringer introduced them to the market.

Nightmare fuel.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Mesas do have soooo much switching. Surprised they dont add a vape somewhere in them like that Keeley pedal lol

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Don Dongington posted:

Now take that, have it reverse engineered and assembled by the lowest bidder by the manufacturer of the amp in the post above, add some weird poo poo like built in tube testers, and you'll appreciate why most of the music stores in my city stopped carrying them about a year after Behringer introduced them to the market.

Nightmare fuel.

It’s telling that the most famous band to make Mesa amps the core of their sound, Metallica, never toured with them during the time they made them super famous.

Hell, the Marshalls modified by Jose Arredondo went on tour/were more reliable/easier to service.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
lol yeah they just used triaxis preamps instead

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Opinions on the Quilter Tone Block 202?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hey everyone I have a little bit of an amp mystery. I have an old family photo from what I believe is either the 30s or 40s, and I'm trying to figure out what amp is in it:

It looks like its being used to amplify the lady playing guitar in her lap, as thats the only instrument with pots on it. Unfortunately I have no way of identifying that lady so I cant ask her or her descendants about the amp.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Do you know approximately where this photograph was taken?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
in the upside down world, obviously

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

My best guess before diving deeper is that it is an Oahu/Valco student lap steel amplifier from the 1940s. It is undoubtedly a Fender Champ-style circuit.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 22, 2021

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Do you know approximately where this photograph was taken?

Yes. It was taken in the suburbs of Buffalo NY, around Williamsville, NY I believe. Thank you so much for the help, gonna go check out those leads! I think you are correct.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Don Dongington posted:

Nightmare fuel.

they also liked to combust lol, one of my most memorable open mic experiences is watching a guy's bugera combust mid e minor blues.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

had this nasty ground hum/RF interference in my setup all of a sudden, looks like my Weber Load Dump (lol) may have just poo poo the bed for no reason?

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I'm in the market for a smallish tube amp for my office/basement. I already have a modeling practice amp, and a tube amp seemed like the next logical step. I'm currently looking at this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Rocker15--orange-rocker-15-15-watt-1x10-inch-tube-combo

Or I was also intrigued by the Hughes and Kettner Vintage Nano paired with some small speaker.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SpiritNVint--hughes-and-kettner-spirit-of-vintage-25-watt-nano-amp

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TM10Cab--hughes-and-kettner-tubemeister-110-30-watt-1x10-inch-extension-cabinet

Alternatively, I've heard good things about Blackstar tube amps, like this one which is much more reasonably priced.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HT1RMKII--blackstar-ht1r-mkii-1-watt-1x8-inch-tube-combo-amp-with-reverb

Thoughts?

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep

SnatchRabbit posted:

Alternatively, I've heard good things about Blackstar tube amps, like this one which is much more reasonably priced.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HT1RMKII--blackstar-ht1r-mkii-1-watt-1x8-inch-tube-combo-amp-with-reverb

Thoughts?

I don’t have that blackstar, but I do have one of their smaller tube amps and it’s great. I still mostly play through my Marshall stack but the blackstar is a great mobile solution. I like that mine has volume control for each channel but then a master volume so I can get the cranked tune sound without killing my ears. I just keep the master volume around 2 and everything else all the way up.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

SnatchRabbit posted:

I'm in the market for a smallish tube amp for my office/basement. I already have a modeling practice amp, and a tube amp seemed like the next logical step. I'm currently looking at this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Rocker15--orange-rocker-15-15-watt-1x10-inch-tube-combo

Or I was also intrigued by the Hughes and Kettner Vintage Nano paired with some small speaker.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SpiritNVint--hughes-and-kettner-spirit-of-vintage-25-watt-nano-amp

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TM10Cab--hughes-and-kettner-tubemeister-110-30-watt-1x10-inch-extension-cabinet

Thoughts?

Make sure you try an OR15 if you're considering a rocker15. Maybe it's my taste, but I listened to the back to back and the OR is just otherworldly, whereas I thought the rocker sounded a bit brittle to my ears.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

SnatchRabbit posted:

Thoughts?

I have this (the mk1), picked it up used for like $90, and it's great. Covers pretty much the entire gamut of gain ranges, the reverb is good, if you can get it up off the floor the speaker delivers a surprisingly large dynamic range for an 8 inch. Weakest part is probably the EQ, I picked up a Boss EQ pedal for times I want to tweak that stuff, but it's a very minor niggle, the tone ranges you get from the ISF control are all entirely usable. It weighs next to nothing and will do good tones at very comfortable volumes. The emulated output works really well too.

I'd buy it again in a heartbeat for twice what I payed for it.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Don Dongington posted:

Make sure you try an OR15 if you're considering a rocker15. Maybe it's my taste, but I listened to the back to back and the OR is just otherworldly, whereas I thought the rocker sounded a bit brittle to my ears.

Thanks, but isn’t the or15 a head that requires a cabinet as well? Might be out of my price range since the or15 is $700 alone unless I’m misunderstanding.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

1 watt tube amps generally speaking have zero headroom, which is okay as long as you're not planning on playing squeaky clean or don't plan on being able to stack a ton of pedals

as far as low wattage stuff goes, i like the bugera v5 infinium (the non-infinium version tends to eat tubes) and the kustom defender 5h (which is pretty much just a champ circuit in head form)

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I think it'd be pretty easy to spot what went wrong inside of my amp

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thoughts on throwing a pair of Greenbacks into a Mesa 4x12 so that I've got an X Pattern of V30s and Greenbacks?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Thoughts on the Mesa Transatlantic series?

Saw one for cheap and was wondering if it'd be worth pulling for the purchase. According to peeps, it's more "British"-sounding than most Mesas and doesn't have an FX-Loop.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I never got to try the head version but for years the combo was a white whale for me. Great cleans and distortion. Never pulled the trigger because I didn’t have the funds for it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Kind of a weird question, but does anyone make boutique solid state amps?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

That's an oxymoron :smuggo:

But to answer your question, you need to be more specific. What sound are you looking for? How do you define boutique?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Quilter Labs. You're thinking about Quilter Labs Amplification.

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older
If Quilter's too big for your definition of "boutique", there's Award-Session

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Kvlt! posted:

That's an oxymoron :smuggo:

Kind of, but maybe not? Boutique tube amps are an exercise in refining the application of obsolete technologies, judged in purely aesthetic terms. The equivalent for solid state would be over-engineering and the application of (perhaps) unnecessarily advanced technologies. I feel like that would just require a very different and less common skill set.

I have wondered this myself. Something about the Quilters bugs me, I think it's probably just their appearance.

I really just wish NwAvGuy would return from under the mountain and build guitar amps.