Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Thumbtacks posted:

As I was updating my resume I got a call from a colleague working at another company that’s in the same field as my current job. They have an open position they’re looking to fill and it sounds like it would be an improvement over my current job in every way. I’m gonna drive over tomorrow to discuss it with them, the only thing I’m slightly worried about is whether or not my work contract has some kind of “you can’t work in this industry after you leave this job for x time”. I don’t THINK it does, but I’ve heard that’s fairly common in most industries. I have no idea if that’s true or even enforceable, but whatever.

Do you have a contract that has terms? Like you signed a 3 year contract with the company? Do you have a client book that you work through, where it would be expected the clients would take their business to your new company? Is your name on IP patents worth 10s or 100s of millions of dollars?

If the answer is no, you do not have a non-compete like that. If you do it is very likely not legal. They are not common in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Lockback posted:

Do you have a contract that has terms? Like you signed a 3 year contract with the company? Do you have a client book that you work through, where it would be expected the clients would take their business to your new company? Is your name on IP patents worth 10s or 100s of millions of dollars?

If the answer is no, you do not have a non-compete like that. If you do it is very likely not legal. They are not common in the US.

IANAL. This can be pretty dangerous advice IMO and the cost:benefit of a lawyer is great if he wants a real answer. Generally, non-competes are looked at negatively for most employees in my state. However, from talking with our L&E attorneys, this has a lot of caveats, and I can think of roles where the answer to some of those may be yes or arguably yes and a non-compete would most likely not be upheld and others where they might be no or all except one are no and they would be upheld.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 14, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yeah generally if you are making enough to have noncompete that could realistically concern you you should definitely consult with a lawyer because you're making sufficient money

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

thehandtruck posted:

"Hmm yeah well first I would try to get some more context from the dev so I can get a better understanding of where he's coming from. Maybe there is a big piece of the project I missed and I can also double check that on my end as well.

If at that point we've really come to a standstill I would respectfully loop in my supervisor and/or the appropriate producer. Hopefully they can provide some clarity on the situation as they have a wider scope than either myself or the dev. I would let the dev know this as well and be open, positive, and inclusive. In the end my goal in this situation is just to make sure that we're putting out a sound product without at the same time soaking up too much bandwidth from people unnecessarily."

And again, they most likely have a protocol in place for when this situation arises, so it's not about what would actually happen, it's just about you and what type of people skills you have. This response also makes you sound much more like a team player and also you don't short change yourself as the lowest rung on the totem pole which will impact you in salary negotiations. QA holds a decent amount of power and it's defeatist thinking anyway.
I just want to highlight this response, I got the question about disagreements at work and based on this post used it as an opportunity to emphasize listening and understanding where they're coming from and not assuming right vs wrong. And I think that is really the best way to respond to that question.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I just want to highlight this response, I got the question about disagreements at work and based on this post used it as an opportunity to emphasize listening and understanding where they're coming from and not assuming right vs wrong. And I think that is really the best way to respond to that question.

how was your interview???

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

how was your interview???
It went really, really well. The interviewer said "of course I am recommending you for the next stage in this process, your skills are a really great fit for this job." I am currently grinning widely while making GBS threads my pants. The advice in this thread has been incredibly important in my prep process. Thanks to everyone contributing here.

e: I am going to send a thank-you to each of my interviewers. I was surprised to see the many things online that treat this as a super formal part of the process as opposed to just a few brief, modest sentences. What's the right approach?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 14, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

That's great, well done.

Is it a very formal organization? I think that should dictate some of your level of familiarity. I tend to bias towards some degree of formality because usually people who really care about this stuff tend to be more formal.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

I posted my resume here back in July. Accidentally landed a daily tutoring gig with a nice family due to a connection, just graduated from my M.A. program in December, and have a thesis to my name (still unpublished but that will change) as well as a class in which I was the lead editor of our history journal, which won second place statewide. I also wrote an article for the journal. After 7 months of inactivity, I'm finally going to update that resume.

I wanted to address this post from when I posted my resume because it kind of speaks to my main problem in applying for jobs.

Dik Hz posted:

Nice user name. Love that book. Ok, your resume is atrocious. I can't tell if you're trying to milk a week's worth of work into an 8 year job history or if you've been steadily grinding 80 hours/week. Quantify that stuff so people reading your resume can tell.

References don't belong on the resume itself. Take 'em off.

I'd probably drop the last two jobs as well. A summer job 8 years ago probably isn't all that relevant. And the tutoring gig in 2014 for 3 months probably isn't long enough to include. It kinda makes it look like you're stretching.

I'm embarrassed to admit that my "week's worth of work" is not literally, but maybe figuratively, accurate. I regularly took days off when I did substitute teaching. My tutoring has never really exceeded 10 hours per week. I've never held a full time job for more than a month. I'm not even sure if I can accurately quantify the time I spent doing sub work, except to say that it was "weekly" and tended to be 3-4 days per week.

Almost all "accomplishments" to my name are academic, and even then the time I spent as an undergrad was full of W's on my academic record. Somebody else responded to my resume and pointed out that I was maybe "stretching" with pieces of my resume and that's because I don't really feel that confident in my work experience. Maybe it's trust fund/time spent living with parents guilt or maybe it's because I genuinely don't have that much to be proud of.

The most I can say to my work experience is that parents have expressed how much I've helped their kids, but I don't know how to express that in a way that doesn't sound like it's reaching.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Met with my boss and had a long conversation about my position and counter offers and a lot of stuff, took quite a while. Came out of it with a $3/hr raise and a reworked bonus structure that should end up doubling my monthly paycheck.

As it turns out I do actually have quite a bit of knowledge about the system we're using and apparently that's valuable knowledge. I never expected that but I'm not complaining. Hell yeah.

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

poste du monocylindre
i just applied for a job i really want in my hometown but have absolutely no connections there. lately i feel like i'm just sending resumes out into the ether, never to be seen nor heard from again :smith:

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
It's hard not to feel that way when the reality is that for the majority of roles you might apply for, you're probably not going to hear anything back but try to keep in mind that it's nothing personal. Good luck with your application, I hope that you get a call back :)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The market is really poo poo right now in most industries. Resumes into the ether is where everyone in my field is at. Just don't get discouraged. (I say this, but I totally got discouraged before it suddenly got better.) Maybe post your resume / cover letter ITT? It could be good to figure out whether it's just bad luck or something else going on.

I scheduled a second round interview for a job, but I thought it over and I don't think I want it after all. As desperate as I am to leave my current position, the "budgeted" pay is about 50-60% of the other two jobs I interviewed for last week, making it a lateral move in both pay and responsibility. Is it worth trying to negotiate for a bigger, thicker, better paid position, or should I just tell them sorry, nevermind?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

jimmychoo posted:

i just applied for a job i really want in my hometown but have absolutely no connections there. lately i feel like i'm just sending resumes out into the ether, never to be seen nor heard from again :smith:

Yea applying for jobs is like dating when you’re lonely. It’s absolutely terrible until one day it magically isn’t.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

I scheduled a second round interview for a job, but I thought it over and I don't think I want it after all. As desperate as I am to leave my current position, the "budgeted" pay is about 50-60% of the other two jobs I interviewed for last week, making it a lateral move in both pay and responsibility. Is it worth trying to negotiate for a bigger, thicker, better paid position, or should I just tell them sorry, nevermind?

Going through a full interview is good practice and rejecting an offer is a nice confidence boost and honestly as an employer its a good datapoint when you're only good candidates say you don't pay enough.

So I would figure out what sliding scale of pay, responsibility, title would make you want to move. And if your resume is mostly jobs where you've stuck around, having 1 quick bounce isn't a big deal.

This is all assuming you have the ability to go through the whole interview from a time/PTO/whatever perspective. But I think its rarely a waste for someone job hunting.

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

poste du monocylindre
aw, thanks y'all. i feel better now. gonna try to keep the faith. i've been looking since last april and i think i've had about three interviews total.

it's strange to think about my resume just puttering out into the ether because of course when i was younger all the advice was to hound HR every second of every day.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Free negotiating practice

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Free negotiating practice

This. I'd determined I was too senior for a job I was interviewing for and decided to go through with it to practice making (sort of) absurd demands (higher title, 70% increase in salary, different reporting structure, better bonus, the list goes on). It definitely helped for the next negotiation since I had a huge confidence boost when they met each and every one (still declined though since they'd buried the lede of having billable hours in the final offer letter).

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Chaotic Flame posted:

(still declined though since they'd buried the lede of having billable hours in the final offer letter).

Can you explain what this means please?

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
Any thoughts on a resume for positions where it's difficult to quantify individual financial impacts? It's not really an expectation for these roles to be able to do so, but everything feels so anecdotal otherwise.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

SchnorkIes posted:

Any thoughts on a resume for positions where it's difficult to quantify individual financial impacts? It's not really an expectation for these roles to be able to do so, but everything feels so anecdotal otherwise.

Impacts don't need to always be financial, it's just financial impacts are always good. Impacts such as speed or efficiency improvements, customer satisfaction, positive feedback rates, or successful launch are also really good. It's good to quantify though. "Improved training time" is not interesting. "Reduced Training time from 6 weeks to 4 while maintaining new hire output" is VERY interesting and something a hiring manager will bite on.

Similarly, if there's interesting scopes or projects that were worked on those can be good too. "Built pipeline to synthesize data from all 50 states to feed real-time model. Data comprised approx 4TB a day."

If you need more help, if you have some "soft" impact you need help with post some specifics and we can probably give you some direction.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 19, 2021

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Lockback posted:

Impacts don't need to always be financial, it's just financial impacts are always good. Impacts such as speed or efficiency improvements, customer satisfaction, positive feedback rates, or successful launch are also really good. It's good to quantify though. "Improved training time" is not interesting. "Reduced Training time from 6 weeks to 4 while maintaining new hire output" is VERY interesting and something a hiring manager will bite on.

Similarly, if there's interesting scopes or projects that were worked on those can be good too. "Built pipeline to synthesize data from all 50 states to feed real-time model. Data comprised approx 4TB a day."

If you need more help, if you have some "soft" impact you need help with post some specifics and we can probably give you some direction.

I'll have to think about it. It's something with no real metrics like that to speak of.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Inner Light posted:

Can you explain what this means please?

Was a position that, based on interviews and the job description, I thought was internal but it was attached to external projects with billable hours. I only realized that because the offer letter mentioned the bonus was contingent on meeting said hours goal. I was leaving consulting and wanted nothing to do with billable hours again.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Chaotic Flame posted:

Was a position that, based on interviews and the job description, I thought was internal but it was attached to external projects with billable hours. I only realized that because the offer letter mentioned the bonus was contingent on meeting said hours goal. I was leaving consulting and wanted nothing to do with billable hours again.

gently caress billable hours

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i have a bit of a weird resume situation.

As this month concludes I'm moving on from a company I've been with since I was 20, I'm 28 now. One summer in college I was hired as a laborer in a semi-skilled trade for a private contractor. When I started there, the "company" was the owner, two people who despised the owner, and some OK but ageing equipment. I ended up taking a semester off of college just getting better at the trade, but when I did go back the owner had me assume the office duties, as well as being his de facto personal assistant/guy who ties his shoes for him.

I'm sure people in this forum can imagine what a disorganized, neglected nightmare a small business owner's office can be. I basically took that, turned it around and more.

So ever since 2016 I pretty much taught myself the whole 9 yards of a small business operation, paying attention to the details the owner was too much of....a tradesman to handle himself. Payroll, accounts, estimates, customer service, human resources, Quickbooks, industry-specific CRM software, Google Adwords, writing basic advertisements......yeah I did it all. I also filled out tons of credit/loan applications for equipment we procured, compiled his first "employee handbook" and took care of A TON of the owner's personal-side bullshit.

The company has more than doubled in sales and size since I've been there, it's just been up up up. We added a "division" within the company that performs a slightly different service, I oversaw that roll-out. I went from managing a small business to somewhat of a beast. I had very clear end goal with this owner: setting up a CRM software for him and our second-oldest employee to effectively handle the office duties without me. One real problem for me is over the past few years I just got good at office stuff - for my age I'm waaayyy behind on my skillset for the actual trade involved. Someone my age in this industry and an ageing NFL tight end have a lot in common. Leaving feels good, and I've made plenty of money.

I did complete my bachelor's degree in philosophy throughout all of this (gently caress you I'm proud of it). Now I'm typing up my resume for the first time ever and I can't help but feel like this is too much. My philosophy education instilled the value of brevity in me. I basically just wrote a draft resume with everything I did there, and now I'm trying to produce a simpler second draft, and I feel like I can't lower the word count without diminishing an accomplishment or two.

Should I just write "I was basically an indentured servant to a small business owner and did everything please let me into the white collar world please?" I'm basically looking at higher-level, better paying office jobs in completely different industries. I see a lot of "executive assistant" in my city that doesn't seem to be asking for much more than what I've done.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Post the resume and we can tell you what to cut. Maybe include some postings of jobs you're looking at to help us tailor.

But your aging TE skills are also the kind of skills that most under 30s don't have in running a business. If you have any skills or desire it seems like you're in a good position to try to start a business.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Here is where I'm at. Thank you so much in advance.

quote:

Experience:
BIG STRONG SWEATY MEN TREE COMPANY
2014 – 2021
Title(s): Arborist, Office Manager and Assistant to Owner

Administrative Duties: First office manager for rapidly growing company, hired on initially in college as laborer/arborist. Began overseeing office in 2015. By late 2016 was doing the office work almost exclusively. Company more than doubled in size and sales between 2015-2021.

-Independently implemented the company’s first office procedure for all day-to-day tasks, including customer communications and scheduling, payroll, human resources, accounts receivable and accounts payable.
-Assisted the owner in setting his schedule, prioritizing to-dos around the business and everything in between. Also provided opinions and insights on medium to long-term matters such as new hires, equipment acquisitions and overall direction of the company. Attended to many of the owner’s personal matters as well.
-Reconciled checking and credit accounts on a monthly basis, communicated with accountant semi-regularly to address questions and concerns.
-Filled out loan and credit applications on behalf of the business and the owner. Handled other paperwork such as annual insurance audits, workman’s compensation, state licenses and registrations, and other basic business filings.
-With the assistance of a consultant, compiled and wrote the company’s first Employee Handbook, a critical document for the workman’s compensation policy. Ensured handbook paperwork was properly filled out by new hire and filed.
-Left position after setting up CRM software for company, effectively eliminating my own position and allowing owner and ageing head arborist to handle office duties.

Communications, Sales and Operations: Account manager and client communication specialist taking calls during business hours. Kept track of all outgoing estimates and incoming work orders, between myself, the owner and foremen. Scheduled consultations between foremen and clients. Did some of the in-person consultations. Proofread and edited all estimates for clarity and quality. Kept track of customer issues or else addressed their complaints. Made follow-up calls on all pending clients and kept up on regular clients.

-“Men and Machines.” Provided daily itinerary for owner and crews. Planned jobs and logistics between my crews and clients, and the various municipalities, utilities or subcontractors also involved. Also, troubleshooting issues with equipment or employees on job sites, and reacting to any other circumstances that may hinder the day's work when the owner was busy elsewhere.
-Oversaw snow removal operations and performed work for approximately 100 residential and business clients in the [redacted] area, from initial bid to billing. Programmed my own custom Excel sheet for rapid billing of snow clients.
-Partially oversaw the introduction of a new Plant Health Care division within the company. Tracked, scheduled and billed annual subscription-type services for yearly tree spray treatments. This service saw the introduction of CRM software to the company and added a new dimension to my job, since it involved many more repeat customers than one-off one clients.
-Helped put together or else wrote advertising materials for the company. Including door-to-door flyers, direct email marketing with MailChimp, and some cold call type marketing.

Business Software:
Intermediate-to-advanced in Quickbooks: Was able to stretch the features of Quickbooks quite far until the company had so many customers it required a more robust CRM.
Experience with CRM: tree industry specific software SingleOps and Arborgold.
Experience with Google Adwords

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

20 Blunts posted:

Here is where I'm at. Thank you so much in advance.

quote:

Experience:
BIG STRONG SWEATY MEN TREE COMPANY
2014 – 2021
Title(s): Arborist, Office Manager and Assistant to Owner

Administrative Duties: First office manager for rapidly growing company, hired on initially in college as laborer/arborist. Began overseeing office in 2015. By late 2016 was doing the office work almost exclusively. Company more than doubled in size and sales between 2015-2021. Took over Operational work in 2015 which lead to a doubling in sales by 2021. (this would be better with specific dollar numbers

-Independently implemented the company’s first office procedure for all day-to-day tasks, including customer communications and scheduling, payroll, human resources, accounts receivable and accounts payable.
-Assisted the owner in setting his schedule, prioritizing to-dos around the business and everything in between. Also provided opinions and insights on medium to long-term matters such as new hires, equipment acquisitions and overall direction of the company. Attended to many of the owner’s personal matters as well.
-Reconciled checking and credit accounts on a monthly basis, communicated with accountant semi-regularly to address questions and concerns.
-Filled out loan and credit applications on behalf of the business and the owner. Handled other paperwork such as annual insurance audits, workman’s compensation, state licenses and registrations, and other basic business filings.Handled all loan, banking, regulatory and compliance filings with 100% accuracy
-With the assistance of a consultant, compiled and wrote the company’s first Employee Handbook, a critical document for the workman’s compensation policy. Ensured handbook paperwork was properly filled out by new hire and filed.
-Left position after set up CRM software (which one? for company, reducing administrative and operational tasks by 90%

Communications, Sales and Operations: Account manager and client communication specialist taking calls during business hours. Kept track of all outgoing estimates and incoming work orders, between myself, the owner and foremen. Scheduled consultations between foremen and clients. Did some of the in-person consultations. Proofread and edited all estimates for clarity and quality. Kept track of customer issues or else addressed their complaints. Made follow-up calls on all pending clients and kept up on regular clients. Managed Client Accounts end-to-end, including consultations

-“Men and Machines.” Provided daily itinerary for owner and crews. Planned jobs and logistics between my crews and clients, and the various municipalities, utilities or subcontractors also involved. Also, troubleshooting issues with equipment or employees on job sites, and reacting to any other circumstances that may hinder the day's work when the owner was busy elsewhere.
-Oversaw snow removal operations and performed work for approximately 100 residential and business clients in the [redacted] area, from initial bid to billing. Programmed my own custom Excel sheet for rapid billing of snow clients.
-Partially oversaw the introduction of a new Plant Health Care division within the company. Tracked, scheduled and billed annual subscription-type services for yearly tree spray treatments. This service saw the introduction of CRM software to the company and added a new dimension to my job, since it involved many more repeat customers than one-off one clients.
-Helped put together or else wrote advertising materials for the company. Including door-to-door flyers, direct email marketing with MailChimp, and some cold call type marketing.
-Handled marketing duties, including design and distribution

Business Software:
Intermediate-to-advanced in Quickbooks: Was able to stretch the features of Quickbooks quite far until the company had so many customers it required a more robust CRM.
Experience with CRM: tree industry specific software SingleOps and Arborgold.
Experience with Google Adwords

That's a start. You have more room for "accomplishment" stuff. I guessed on some % here and there, but try to give specifics on revenue and such where you can.

You don't need to describe the basic duties of common roles like account manager or all-around gopher. The people hiring you will know what an office admin does. Instead focus on things you accomplished.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Hell yeah thats the scalpel work I needed, thank you.

i guess the more i think about what i accomplished, the sad truth is that I basically did all the boring poo poo some guy who decided to start a business didn't want to do, often times seemed incapable of doing. that is a large part of the reason i left, really. i left them with some good infrastructure but what I really want to put on this resume is ".....and now that im gone im waiting to hear about it going all to hell."

this was a "your boss is too much of your friend" comingling of poo poo, and in the past year one of the OG employees committed suicide via heroin, another OG left after that, so im like "last idiot standing" from the original group of guys i worked with. obviously this is all very important to my life but not a resume.

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 25, 2021

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)

20 Blunts posted:

".....and now that im gone im waiting to hear about it going all to hell."

This is way less satisfying than you think it will be. You just gotta let it go. You'll either be mad that they aren't reaching out to tell you how much they need you (denying you a speech about all of the things they should have appreciated), or frustrated that they've squandered all the hard work you did building it up.

Are you targeting a specific industry now, or just "not trees"?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

You have good stuff in there. Accomplishing boring poo poo is good if it means the business grew, so highlight that growth. Highlight that you weren't audited and that people got paid on time. That's why next employer wants to hire you, to make sure that stuff happens. Basically think to yourself "What good things happened to the company what happened in my orbit" and take credit wherever you can.

Use "Operations" more than administration where you can. Fluff your excel knowledge in software, along with other stuff you've touched. I think the fact that you did this stuff and you were still a somewhat technical tree guy speaks really well. You might be more qualified in some account management type stuff than you realize, especially if you have a degree and if your writing skills are as good as I'd imagine they should be with a Philosophy degree.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

20 Blunts posted:

Hell yeah thats the scalpel work I needed, thank you.

i guess the more i think about what i accomplished, the sad truth is that I basically did all the boring poo poo some guy who decided to start a business didn't want to do, often times seemed incapable of doing. that is a large part of the reason i left, really. i left them with some good infrastructure but what I really want to put on this resume is ".....and now that im gone im waiting to hear about it going all to hell."

this was a "your boss is too much of your friend" comingling of poo poo, and in the past year one of the OG employees committed suicide via heroin, another OG left after that, so im like "last idiot standing" from the original group of guys i worked with. obviously this is all very important to my life but not a resume.

If your responsibilities escalated as the business grew and the business grew sufficiently that you spent full time mostly doing some of the higher value poo poo, I'd show that as a promotion on the resume. A clear, sensical escalation of responsibilities is a very good sign to me on a resume.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Thank you very much Lockback and everybody, I added on some accomplishments after cutting stuff out, no more than an additional sentence or so on a few items.

definitely looking for "not trees" although I may qualify for some kind of fun positions with the equipment companies. otherwise there are actually some not bad options from my initial glance at indeed. here we gooo

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
i have worked for the same organization for 10 years and my knowledge is stagnant. when presented with a resume upload box that accepts multiple formats is there a preferred format?

years ago it used to be PDF because they were mostly printed/human read & it guaranteed compatibility, but now everything is OCRed I assume?

I ask because I have 10 years at a prestigious employer with nothing but a decently well curated list of accomplishments (meaningful ones for older roles, more for the recent, resume is 2 pages but getting it down to 1 is tough, so its 2 but i try to justify it with meaningful stuff) and i basically dont get any bites or calls back submitting my resume to places. am i killing myself before i start by using a pdf?

i dont get it, i should have people banging down my door to get someone with my experience and i'm actually a decent interview but i havent found a job in like... 14 months of looking :smith:

is there just someone i can pay to update it

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

bus hustler posted:

is there just someone i can pay to update it
I've worked with this guy and he's great. He can help you with your cover letter too. Definitely worth the money.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

PDF is still ideal. docx and other formats might look different on different screens.

2 pages is fine for 10 years of experience.

I'd suggest posting a redacted version here and we might be able to give you pointers. I think the further along in their career people are the harder it is to give pointed advice though. It's easy to tell someone looking for entry level stuff what to do, a lot harder for someone like you.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
yeah i have 15 years in the field 10 years here (and the old places are down to the basics just to show that i had jobs pre college, im not that proud of being a field tech in 2011)

i need to move around my education but i made it certs mostly anyway so i dont think its killing me. sigh. probably just a mix of bad luck and being at a level where i am only targeting specific kinds of jobs that directly increase my situation significantly (money/commute/etc)

i feel like the only one who doesnt have imposter syndrome (im good at what i do and my current team would take a metaphorical bullet for me, one took a pay cut to come work for me) and i cant find a job lol :smithicide:

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
update:

since I last posted, I've gotten five interviews compared to the one before goons doctored my resume. Progress!

Thanx again goons

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

poste du monocylindre
whine incoming: i've applied for so many jobssss why can't i get oneeeee

e: i’m gonna hit up the resume goon. i think it works to my detriment that i work for such a dysfunctional and small agency and wear so many different hats.

jimmychoo fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 28, 2021

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

jimmychoo posted:

e: i’m gonna hit up the resume goon. i think it works to my detriment that i work for such a dysfunctional and small agency and wear so many different hats.

see my posts above, lol thats my boat.

also not lolling at a joke i used to enjoy as a manager - "always just take half the stack of resumes and throw them right in the trash - you don't want unlucky people in this dangerous industry!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
If a place has invited you for a second interview explicitly to introduce you to key members of the team that you'd be working with, that's probably a reasonably good sign right?

I suppose standard for decent companies for a role where you're going to be working with them all a lot but I feel pretty good about it.