Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

1redflag posted:

Whatever you do, DON’T

Where could I get more information about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Either the Scarfolk Council or Shania Twain, apparently

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

1redflag posted:

Either the Scarfolk Council or Shania Twain, apparently

The correct response was "by reading the post again."

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82xVgxy5sDE

Genius marketing here: "You have these ingredients at home, but don't we do it better?".

Uh....no? Why would I spend money on that crap when I can just make breakfast at home?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Genius marketing here: "You have these ingredients at home, but don't we do it better?".

Uh....no? Why would I spend money on that crap when I can just make breakfast at home?

They keep rejecting my "we both know it's garbage, but it's that special kind of garbage that you'll crave every once in a while" pitch :sigh:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

They keep rejecting my "we both know it's garbage, but it's that special kind of garbage that you'll crave every once in a while" pitch :sigh:

I have this with Subway. I know it’s not good but sometimes it’s the only thing that’ll do.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I have this with Subway. I know it’s not good but sometimes it’s the only thing that’ll do.

this, but taco bell for me

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cheese steak with pickles, spinach and carrot, chipotle sauce, on herb bread. Once a year maybe, but when I need it I need it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The guy in the McDonald’s commercial has a soothing voice

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

zedprime posted:

That looks like the ancient practice of loving around in the CMS while trying to keep your boss/editor from publishing by accident. Presume you pay when you approve to publish in this system and somebody hit the button on someone's sandbox object.

A perfectly reasonable explanation, except for the fact that it keeps happening over and over again

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

KFC here. I promise that they're better in Australia than the US, but it's still garbage, it's just garbage that feels good to eat every so often.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Say what you will about them, but McDonald's definitely make a better Sausage and Egg McMuffin than I do.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

A perfectly reasonable explanation, except for the fact that it keeps happening over and over again

My assumption is these are control ads for something else. In the past when I did attribution modeling they created faux ads to run as the control group. Some publishers also run place holder ads to set benchmarking on their platform and Im quite sure they use the shittiest setup possible to set those.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Say what you will about them, but McDonald's definitely make a better Sausage and Egg McMuffin than I do.

Your microwave could make a better sausage and egg McMuffin then McDonald's.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The secret to the mcmuffin is they're soaked in margarine. It's ridiculous how much is on there. Anytime you're wondering why your food at home doesn't taste like the restaurant version, it's because they use an ungodly amount of salt and butter/fat.

Serious go look up how much butter is in roubochon's michelin star winning potatoes.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

oldpainless posted:

The guy in the McDonald’s commercial has a soothing voice

More like oldbriancoxless

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I also meant the microwave thing literally. McDonald's' ads are pure potemkin, made to defeat the visceral disgust you feel about getting hours-old food that was just reheated in the microwave. In the 80s there was this wild shift away from "you can get your burger the fastest here because it's already ready for you" to "that's gross, make it fresh but still fast" and they never ever have caught up with the bus since it drove away back then.

edit: They WANT you to think the food is made fresh, but it isn't, especially breakfast items. Having made like a hundred of them every morning at one point, the sausage burritos are all made before open or at like 4 am if you work at a 24h McDonald's like I did. Then they're frozen for when the customer orders, at which point they're thawed and heated. Yes technically it's still fresh because it goes right into the freezer but come on man that's not appetizing at all and Mickey D's clearly knows that.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 03:48 on Jan 18, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CJacobs posted:

I also meant the microwave thing literally. McDonald's' ads are pure potemkin, made to defeat the visceral disgust you feel about getting hours-old food that was just reheated in the microwave. In the 80s there was this wild shift away from "you can get your burger the fastest here because it's already ready for you" to "that's gross, make it fresh but still fast" and they never ever have caught up with the bus since it drove away back then.

Lol

Let's just say your McDonald's experience that you care very much about is different than mine

And that you don't know how they work especially during breakfast rush where they can barely keep up and crack fresh eggs for McMuffins

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm McHavin' Different Feelings About itTM

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

CJacobs posted:

edit: They WANT you to think the food is made fresh, but it isn't, especially breakfast items. Having made like a hundred of them every morning at one point, the sausage burritos are all made before open or at like 4 am if you work at a 24h McDonald's like I did. Then they're frozen for when the customer orders, at which point they're thawed and heated. Yes technically it's still fresh because it goes right into the freezer but come on man that's not appetizing at all and Mickey D's clearly knows that.

McDonald's feels to me like a company that's been sliding for a very long time on nostalgia and seeming legendary in the eyes of young kids. But they can't sell cheap prepackaged crap to just young kids; that doesn't turn a profit. So for the past decade/decade and a half they've been trying to appeal to wider demographics with 'fellow kids'-level stuff that feels (at least to me) really desperate and lame.

To their credit, though, I've heard that their coffee drinks, which are probably loaded with sugar and fat, are actually fairly decent for fast food.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Bloop posted:

Lol

Let's just say your McDonald's experience that you care very much about is different than mine

And that you don't know how they work especially during breakfast rush where they can barely keep up and crack fresh eggs for McMuffins

Back in 2010 when i worked there you could cook 8 at a time and it took like 3 or 4 minutes and they were loving miserable

And if your management was poo poo they all are it’s expected you cook them faster than that and if you dont you get screamed at for being a poo poo employee

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Bloop posted:

Lol

Well to be fair, I haven't worked at a mcdonalds in 15 years and I lived in a pretty small town. I imagine in bigger places they do run out and have to start making them fresh since there were always like a thousand orders even in a small town, but I never had that problem.

edit: Ok here I'll just describe it because I had to do it like three times a week, maybe this isn't the typical McDonald's experience. At ~3am the process was to start taking stuff down and cleaning it which sucked because people would still come get food and you'd say "cash only" and they'd say "but i only have a card" and dude I'm sorry but that is not my issue please leave. After that, or while that was being done, we would get out the ingredients to make stuff that takes forever to make like the breakfast burritos and make them in big long rows, and then freeze them. At this point it's probably closer to 5 which is when people would start coming in for the breakfast food, and at mine we never ran out of the stuff we made early but again small town. To give you an idea of how small, I was often there by myself on these occasions while the manager went to the bank to get the change for the day and put it in the safe, or he'd send me to do it.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 04:01 on Jan 18, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Honestly I think McDonald's has had a big turnaround in the last couple years, since they started that big push towards fresh beef for their quarter pounders. Granted, that pushed them into solidly-bottom-tier rather than sub-bottom-tier, but the progress is pretty noticeable.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Y'know thinking back on it, since I was in school I only worked nights or mornings on the weekend. So maybe my experience really wasn't typical of a real McDonald's morning rush. The good news is, I have no desire to ever find out what that's like, so I'm glad I missed the boat if so!

Honestly I think McDonald's has had a big turnaround in the last couple years, since they started that big push towards fresh beef for their quarter pounders. Granted, that pushed them into solidly-bottom-tier rather than sub-bottom-tier, but the progress is pretty noticeable.

This is also fair but I had to shed a few lols at their "we're using real meat now!" campaign.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
Has Maccas in the states not made the switch to having the ingredients each in there own temperature controlled drawer and assembling each item when it is ordered? It was a decent jump in quality here (Australia) compared to the old way of having assembled burgers wrapped and sitting in a warmer.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
A sausage egg biscuit is a guilty pleasure on an occasional long commute I do for work. I know it’s a sodium overload, but I only have it every so often. I’m surprised I pay almost $5 for the privilege, but here we are.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RichardA posted:

Has Maccas in the states not made the switch to having the ingredients each in there own temperature controlled drawer and assembling each item when it is ordered? It was a decent jump in quality here (Australia) compared to the old way of having assembled burgers wrapped and sitting in a warmer.

This is how most fast food joints do it these days, McDonald's does during the day I'm sure. I encourage you folks to get a job at A&W if you love the taste of root beer and want to utterly remove that facet of your personality to the point where you despise it by forcing yourself to smell it for 10 hours a day

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I do not eat burgers at mcdonalds.

Sometimes at wendys or bk but mcdonalds i stick to chicken or filet-o-fish.

All the breakfast is good though (even if I would never eat cheese on a mcgriddle)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

RichardA posted:

That was how it was done in 2006 when i worked there during high school

Edit: there was a computer generated chart that told you how many trays of each type of food should be made at a time. So like during 1pm and 2pm you were supposed to always have two trays of 16 10:1 patties fir example. Each tray also had a timer that indicated when it was time to throw it away. Whether the charts and timers got listened to or reset depended on who the manager was and who the backline crew was

Len has a new favorite as of 04:58 on Jan 18, 2021

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Len posted:

That was how it was done in 2006 when i worked there during high school

Edit: there was a computer generated chart that told you how many trays of each type of food should be made at a time. So like during 1pm and 2pm you were supposed to always have two trays of 16 10:1 patties fir example. Each tray also had a timer that indicated when it was time to throw it away. Whether the charts and timers got listened to or reset depended on who the manager was and who the backline crew was

Yeah I'm starting to think The Bloop was actually right and my McDonalds experience was not at all typical. We had this but we always made the quota easily.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The best was the chicken select strip. The minimum order was three pieces and the chart would tell you to only make two. And that math doesn’t work because if someone is already going to wait almost 8 minutes just make the whole thing to order.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Gaius Marius posted:

The secret to the mcmuffin is they're soaked in margarine. It's ridiculous how much is on there. Anytime you're wondering why your food at home doesn't taste like the restaurant version, it's because they use an ungodly amount of salt and butter/fat.

Serious go look up how much butter is in roubochon's michelin star winning potatoes.

For those who didn't look it up, he uses a 2:1 potato:butter ratio. Like yeah, no poo poo it tastes good, it's basically starchy butter puree.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Memento posted:

For those who didn't look it up, he uses a 2:1 potato:butter ratio. Like yeah, no poo poo it tastes good, it's basically starchy butter puree.

So I looked it up.

Those potatoes are ~500 calories per cup.

That's over double what a cup of chocolate milk (~200) has.

1 cup of Coca-Cola has ~140 calories.

A cup of lard has ~750 calories.

Those potatoes are about on par with eating a cup of pure cheddar cheese (~430 calories).

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

As far as I know, this is the best McDonalds ad because it actually make me hungry for their fried chicken.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjrXt-jvWaw

By the way, LOL that someone is making ripoff of Yandere Simulator.
https://twitter.com/AnnoyingYTAds/status/1351039888746020864?s=19

The MSJ has a new favorite as of 08:12 on Jan 18, 2021

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Given how poo poo the development of Yandere Sim is going it stands to reason the clones and imitators will be finished first, and surpass the inspiration.

See also the people still giving Chris Roberts money to fund a busted boring-space sim Star Citizen, when the polished boring space-sim Elite Dangerous has everything the former game advertised and released years ago.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Captain Monkey posted:

So I looked it up.

Those potatoes are ~500 calories per cup.

That's over double what a cup of chocolate milk (~200) has.

1 cup of Coca-Cola has ~140 calories.

A cup of lard has ~750 calories.

Those potatoes are about on par with eating a cup of pure cheddar cheese (~430 calories).

Uhh, butter is 1627 calories per cup, which means the 1/3 of a cup that's butter is 542~ calories by itself. Lard is 1845 calories per cup. A cup of 2:1 potatoes:butter is over 600 calories.

I got all these from nutritionix, which seems to have the US format of nutrition facts.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
This is why sane countries measure their nutrition info by weight instead of by volume

One cup of solid raw potatoes is going to produce a lot more than one cup of puree'd, whisked, fluffy potatoes, with lots of air incorporated into them by the whisking process

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

They did. The double quarter-pounder with cheese is now a $7 burger. It's also a good burger for the price, I've had a couple this past year. I've had better $15 burgers, but for the price point you get exactly what you paid for, and it's actually good.

Aussie goods should see if there's a Popeye's in their area, they're better than KFC ever was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The MSJ posted:

As far as I know, this is the best McDonalds ad because it actually make me hungry for their fried chicken.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjrXt-jvWaw

By the way, LOL that someone is making ripoff of Yandere Simulator.
https://twitter.com/AnnoyingYTAds/status/1351039888746020864?s=19

I can confirm that the Ayam Goreng McD is actually pretty decent.