Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

https://twitter.com/Devon_OnEarth/status/1350580707677110272

UKMT what is a chitterwagger? It sounds like a racial slur.
It's what they call a woodlouse in one village in Norfolk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

*opens a draw of racist doll caricatures*

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Given that council tax itself is a pretty chunky sum to many people yet it's a small % of cluncil budgets, replacing it with a national property tax would mske people less angry at their local councils but not really make them aby more dependant than they already are on Westminster.

Watch the treasury abolish council tax and not give any councils any extra revenue though.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Given that council tax itself is a pretty chunky sum to many people yet it's a small % of cluncil budgets, replacing it with a national property tax would mske people less angry at their local councils but not really make them aby more dependant than they already are on Westminster.

Watch the treasury abolish council tax and not give any councils any extra revenue though.

The last time Labour even hinted at reviewing council tax the press published dozens of articles about Labour's new 'Garden Tax' crying_alan_titchmarsh.gif

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://www.theguardian.com/law/2021/jan/17/jonathan-sumption-cancer-patient-life-less-valuable-others

quote:

The former supreme court justice Jonathan Sumption has been criticised for telling a woman with stage 4 cancer that her life was “less valuable” during a televised discussion of the costs of coronavirus lockdowns.

Appearing on the BBC One show The Big Questions on Sunday to discuss the question of whether lockdown was “punishing too many for the greater good”, Lord Sumption, one of the most prominent anti-lockdown campaigners, said he did not accept that “all lives are of equal value”.

The former justice, who served on the supreme court until 2018, said he believed his children’s and grandchildren’s lives were “worth more because they’ve got a lot more of it ahead”.

Responding to Sumption’s remarks, Deborah James, who has stage 4 metastatic bowel cancer and hosts the BBC’s You, Me and the Big C podcast, said: “With all due respect, I am the person who you say their life is not valuable.”

Sumption then interrupted James, saying: “I didn’t say your life was not valuable, I said it was less valuable.”

good god

edit: missed this gem

quote:

The former justice later claimed that his comments had been misinterpreted, saying: “I object extremely strongly to any suggestion that I was inferring that Miss James’s life was less valuable because she had cancer.

“I thought she was responding to my earlier comments about older people being protected by a total lockdown which is causing immense harm to the young who are unaffected.

“That harm can be to their mental health or through cooping undergraduates up at university or through the loss of jobs. I was saying this should not be inflicted on the young to protect old people like me.

“If Miss James has misinterpreted that then I can only apologise to her as it was not my intention to suggest she was less valuable. Sometimes on videolinks it can be difficult to hear what the other person is saying.”

Convex fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 18, 2021

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. We can use them as fuel"

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

UKMT January 2021: the isle is full of chitterwaggers

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
What kinda name is Sumption.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A name rejected by dickens for being too on the nose.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

It depends what we're trying to achieve with local and/or property taxes (which will be different to what Tories are trying to achieve with them).

Is it for raising revenue so the council can pay for THE BINS!!!? Then it should come from residents (inc renters), but be progressive somehow - and the value of the property you're living in is a very blunt instrument for making it progressive. I'd say get rid of it entirely and fund councils properly from central government (relies on them doing this, though).

Is it a pseudo-progressive wealth tax on people who own their own home? Then as WhatEvil said, it should hammer second+ homes, while staying reasonable for owner-occupiers. And what about people who buy a house, which Tory policy then causes to rocket it value? Do we just tax them on the value they bought it for, plus a separate tax on profit at sale? Comedy option: only tax the "market value" of the house for people who care about the "market value" of their house, let other people just live in it.

Or should it just be a land value tax on the actual land owners, in order to keep a lid on said value? This would take into account leaseholders. Combined with rent caps so it can't be passed on to tenants?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

It sounds like the speaker tried to say "chit-chat" and "chinwag" at the same time. Probably because the one was in the script and the other is what they'd normally say.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

some posh dickhead posted:

“I object extremely strongly to any suggestion that I was inferring that Miss James’s life was less valuable because she had cancer."

man I wish I had the balls to be all "That thing I said? Didn't say it".

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Apparently we're rolling the vaccine out to the over 70s now. I've got five relatives in their 80s and none of them have heard a thing about even being offered it yet. Anyone else similar?

They are all in Scotland though which I guess isn't following the same roll-out plan.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

man I wish I had the balls to be all "That thing I said? Didn't say it".

But it's true, Sumption wasn't inferring that her life was worth less. Inference requires a logical chain of thought to get from A to B.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Sumption needs to spend less time getting involved in controversies and more time getting his history of the 100 years war completed - I've read the first 4 volumes and I want to know the ending!

Sumption is the GRRM of history books.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

lol my partner just rang up the GP to give them our new address and they told her we’re now outside their catchment area and promptly de-registered her. Receptionist had the gall to tell her she’ll “easily” be able to register at a new practice when that’s a massive bollocks even without a pandemic on.

What we’re really worried about though is the fact she has a repeat prescription she picks up from the pharmacy every month or two; does anybody know if being rudely de-registered will interrupt that?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/andyhou10/status/1350385661539459072?s=19

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Can they even do that? Like where do they send on your records with no new place registered?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

the preview cuts off his poo poo eating grin

he honestly thinks he is so clever

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Can they even do that? Like where do they send on your records with no new place registered?

the bin presumably

realtalk: I have no idea about any of it, but I wouldn't think so

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/jeevanrai/status/1351105736533827584?s=19

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
What prompted this quote in the first place? Local Man Enjoys Being Called By His Name

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

He's rattled by people on twitter calling him Keith it's about being a Sir

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Ah. I guess it would never cross my mind to call someone "Sir" whatever. Lol are you an Arthurian knight my bro, gently caress off

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TACD posted:

lol my partner just rang up the GP to give them our new address and they told her we’re now outside their catchment area and promptly de-registered her. Receptionist had the gall to tell her she’ll “easily” be able to register at a new practice when that’s a massive bollocks even without a pandemic on.

What we’re really worried about though is the fact she has a repeat prescription she picks up from the pharmacy every month or two; does anybody know if being rudely de-registered will interrupt that?

Yes, it will. It's part of her medical file so the new practice will know about it as soon as she registers, but repeat scrips still need to be approved by the practice and if the pharmacy sends it to the old one they'll say "that patient is not registered with us".

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I typo'd kieth as koeth recently and I'm sticking with it.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

TACD posted:

i thought there was a rule where you have to be registered at a new practice before you were deregistered ? or at least there’s a whole administrative letter notification type thing if the practice want to do it themselves?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

sebzilla posted:

Koeth the raven: "now is not the time for politics"

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

sebzilla posted:

K'thei, the Star-Murderer

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
So from the reports I'm seeing here in Europe, the UKs government is doing a swell job of reinvesting the £350m a week, that Brexit is saving the UK, back into the NHS as promised :thumbsup:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Wachter posted:

K'thei, the Star-Murderer
K'thei, the Sun-Appeaser

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
:ironicat:

quote:

Starmer says PM's decision to abstain on extending £20-per-week benefit uplift 'pathetic'

It's a stunt because my government is going to cut the benefits anyway :smug:

quote:

This morning Nadhim Zahawi, the vaccine deployment minister, dismissed the Commons vote as a “political stunt”. He told Sky News:

It’s unfortunate that Labour has chosen a political stunt. This debate today has no real impact on the outcome on those families, other than a political little stunt for Labour.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Just to circle back to this for a minute.

willie_dee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA-nrXeldCI

What a grim situation. Either emergency services failed during what must of been a horrific time in the individuals trying to help, or a set of dirt bag lawyers is trying to exploit a grieving family to extract a pay out of some kind. Either way, horrendous.

kingturnip posted:

Weeeeell, you don't appoint your own lawyers to investigate something like this if you're certain that the original findings were fair. But, I can imagine a lawyer laying it on pretty thick with the whole "It'll just give you peace of mind" shtick.

So as a father who is going through an investigation into my daughter's death and also a lawyer*, you don't go into these cases lightly. And likewise lawyers don't approach grieving families, rub their hands together and say "fantastic, this will be a juicy pay day! Now to concoct some evidence to indicate systematic wrong doings."

You go into these things because you are looking for answers and hopefully peace of mind. One thing that is often the case when you tell your story over and over again, parts that you have normalized and internalized are actually horrific and they only become obviously horrific when you tell a third party about them**. And when you tell someone about your story and they tell you "what happened to you doesn't sound like it was normal" you have a desire to investigate.

And very often, when you start an investigation, the official version of events can fall apart when the strings are tugged on this.

For example, based on the BBC clip posted there, the poor unfortunate parents of Saffie thought she died instantly in the bombing. Now, this begs the question, why did they think that?
Were they told she had died instantly? And if so, by whom? And why?
But if they examination into her death reveals that she was alive when she reached the hospital, suddenly you have a bunch of extra questions. And if you had been previously told by the authorities one thing (she died instantly) but the evidence reveals something different (she did not) your trust in everything that the authorities have said is gone.

Contrary to what Torries think, parents don't sit around fantasizing that their children die in some manner so they can sue the State and get a paycheck to buy new flat screen TV's and Smartphones. Any parent will tell you that they would trade all the money in the world to just have their child alive again.
But very often the reason these cases end up being so protracted and fought is because the parents were told that nothing could be done, discovered that something could have been done and that no apology is forthcoming. And it's the lack of empathy and the misinformation that drives these things.

I had been told that the UK had moved towards a system where apologies were made and wrongdoings admitted (as a means to reduce liability cases. Which studies have shown that it often does.) but I don't know what has happened here.

*= Albeit one who specializes in criminal law. I have never run a medical negligence case and my starting point for doing one would be "find a good medical negligence lawyer and hire them to do the case."

**= And it's something that is common with most kinds of tragedy. It's sort of a coping mechanism mixed with a desire not to single yourself out. I call it the Misery Olympics. "Yes my legs did get chopped off because of a falling door. Still, some people have it worse. So I can't complain."

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
how dare these mean momentum thugs attack us on what we vote against

https://twitter.com/AngelaRayner/status/1351126503623434243

and here's a great reasonable policy that will definitely not be abused nosir

https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1351106275287986181

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

And likewise lawyers don't approach grieving families, rub their hands together and say "fantastic, this will be a juicy pay day! Now to concoct some evidence to indicate systematic wrong doings."
You say that, but world class shitpiles like Paul Conrathe do exist, as do the 'charities' that back his lot in exploiting fringe cases and preying on legitimate grief.

They're they exception rather than the rule but they tarnish everyone else's reputation by existing, and there should be some judicial mechanism for dealing with them (I back caput gerat lupinum personally).

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Guavanaut posted:

(I back caput gerat lupinum personally).

upon recognising one of the words and then googling this i am slightly disappointed this is not latin for being killed by wolves

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Angepain posted:

upon recognising one of the words and then googling this i am slightly disappointed this is not latin for being killed by wolves

I was hoping it was some kind of wolf powered catapult.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

You say that, but world class shitpiles like Paul Conrathe do exist, as do the 'charities' that back his lot in exploiting fringe cases and preying on legitimate grief.

They're they exception rather than the rule but they tarnish everyone else's reputation by existing, and there should be some judicial mechanism for dealing with them (I back caput gerat lupinum personally).

My experience is that you are more likely to see cases where the authorities are engaging in unethical behaviour as opposed to cases where an unscrupulous lawyer has invented a case from nothing.

There is codes of conducts and ethics, and those who breach them are found out sooner rather than later. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, more that it is, as you said, the exception to the rule.

As for this Paul Cornathe, I don't know him at all.
But a quick Google search indicates, in his own words, he appears to be a Pro-Life advocate. I'll let that sit there.

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1274564839990538242?s=19

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I am about as far away from an expert as you can get but puberty blockers don't permanently prevent puberty from happening right? So even in the hypothetical where someone gets to 18 and suddenly changes their mind about being trans they can either stop taking the blockers or take hormones and undergo a late puberty yeah?

So if my understanding is right, there really is no reason but bigotry to be mad about puberty blockers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

I am about as far away from an expert as you can get but puberty blockers don't permanently prevent puberty from happening right? So even in the hypothetical where someone gets to 18 and suddenly changes their mind about being trans they can either stop taking the blockers or take hormones and undergo a late puberty yeah?

So if my understanding is right, there really is no reason but bigotry to be mad about puberty blockers?

Yeah but something like 98% of people who go on puberty blockers go on to hormone therapy, which means we're really good at prescribing puberty blockers to the right people puberty blockers are hormone therapy.