Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As far as I am aware, yes, though undergoing more of your growth period in a prepubescent state can change things like your bone growth and stuff, apparently. But they don't give you them unless you give indication at the time of needing them, so it's still concern trolling. Because the proposed alternative is "don't do anything and gently caress the people who die"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jedit posted:

Yes, it will. It's part of her medical file so the new practice will know about it as soon as she registers, but repeat scrips still need to be approved by the practice and if the pharmacy sends it to the old one they'll say "that patient is not registered with us".
Well bollocks

Jel Shaker posted:

i thought there was a rule where you have to be registered at a new practice before you were deregistered ? or at least there’s a whole administrative letter notification type thing if the practice want to do it themselves?
I have no idea. Is there somewhere we can contest this? Otherwise we’re going to be racing the clock to find a new GP > get registered > get appointment > get new prescription approved before her current supply runs out

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

As for this Paul Cornathe, I don't know him at all.
But a quick Google search indicates, in his own words, he appears to be a Pro-Life advocate. I'll let that sit there.

There is codes of conducts and ethics, and those who breach them are found out sooner rather than later. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, more that it is, as you said, the exception to the rule.
Yes, that seems to be the root of the issue, but he knows that he can't come straight out and say "I want a return to Traditionalist Pre-Vatican II Theocracy, Magdalene Laundries, and the Buggery Laws" so instead goes around funded by various American groups (you know the ones) hunting for cases where he can look compassionate to the untrained, which invariably means vulturing around sensitive issues that should have been left outside of courts.

He seems to skirt just inside the code of ethics, and hopefully will one day fall on his rear end.

forkboy84 posted:

I am about as far away from an expert as you can get but puberty blockers don't permanently prevent puberty from happening right? So even in the hypothetical where someone gets to 18 and suddenly changes their mind about being trans they can either stop taking the blockers or take hormones and undergo a late puberty yeah?

So if my understanding is right, there really is no reason but bigotry to be mad about puberty blockers?
But using it for long periods is experimental and we should not be using experimental medicine.

Quite how we get past the experimental stage without trying it, or how many years we should avoid using it before it stops becoming experimental, is never mentioned because they just want it stopped without qualification.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

TACD posted:

Well bollocks
I have no idea. Is there somewhere we can contest this? Otherwise we’re going to be racing the clock to find a new GP > get registered > get appointment > get new prescription approved before her current supply runs out

All I can suggest is that you contact a new GP right away and explain the situation thoroughly to see if there's anything they can do. This is partly down to luck in terms of getting a friendly/motivated receptionist. The other thing you can do is contact your usual pharmacy and see if they have an idea of the best way to help - I know I field calls like that now and then and sometimes I can help with things. If all of that fails, call 111 and explain it to them - they might be able to get an appointment with an out-of-hours doctor.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

What's the logic behind the GP catchment area thing anyway? Wasn't there talk of relaxing it so you could register at one near work?

Here they say you need to live within an X minute drive of the surgery, so the GP can come to you if needed, but I don't think there's a fixed boundary. When we moved across town, they asked if we wouldn't be better switching to one nearer us, but we love our GP and need him too often, so I politely declined.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

And very often, when you start an investigation, the official version of events can fall apart when the strings are tugged on this.

After chairing the Hillsborough Independent Panel, the Bishop of Liverpool was asked to write another report into specifically how the Hillsborough families were treated and how similar things could be prevented from happening again. The result was The Patronising Disposition of Unaccountable Power, which is a truly superb report into how British institutions often behave when serious events happen. It's all crafted with the same care and skill as went into the title, which itself is a perfect one-line description.

quote:

Over the last two decades as I have listened to what the families have endured, a phrase has formed in my mind to describe what they have come up against whenever they have sought to challenge those in authority – ‘the patronising disposition of unaccountable power’.

Those authorities have been in both the public and the private sectors. The Hillsborough families are not the only ones who have suffered from ‘the patronising disposition of unaccountable power’. The families know that there are others who have found that when in all innocence and with a good conscience they have asked questions of those in authority on behalf of those they love the institution has closed ranks, refused to disclose information, used public money to defend its interests and acted in a way that was both intimidating and oppressive.

And so the Hillsborough families’ struggle to gain justice for the 96 has a vicarious quality to it so that whatever they can achieve in calling to account those in authority is of value to the whole nation.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Bobstar posted:

What's the logic behind the GP catchment area thing anyway? Wasn't there talk of relaxing it so you could register at one near work?

Here they say you need to live within an X minute drive of the surgery, so the GP can come to you if needed, but I don't think there's a fixed boundary. When we moved across town, they asked if we wouldn't be better switching to one nearer us, but we love our GP and need him too often, so I politely declined.

Some of it is about ratio of GP to patients (plus some other finer bits about the breakdown of patients and how often they can except each patient to need an appointment), some of it is about funding based on number of patients registered with stuff and some is the "need to be local for home visit". Like a lot of NHS stuff, a number of the rules have vastly changed over the last 10 odd years - but certain people want to stick to the "old" way.

So previously you couldn't be left without a GP practice until you made the choice or were massively violent, etc. But now you have "freedom" to become unregistered easily.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

What kinda name is Sumption.

Con - Sumption

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

This whole thing is so dumb because it's removed life expectancy from the 'quality of life' equation for the very people he claims to be supporting. Part of the 'good' things about living in these times is that you have a pretty good chance of making it to old age and, barring any major illnesses, most people think this is a good thing. But this guy is suggesting that at any time this can be thrown away to protect the 'mental health' of the younger. But this means those younger people now have to think about the fact that every year the age the less their life is worth and some dumbfuck lord is going to decide to sacrifice you for the NEW younger generation. Does his criteria for 'worth' mysteriously line up with how much you benefit capitalism?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

This whole thing is so dumb because it's removed life expectancy from the 'quality of life' equation for the very people he claims to be supporting. Part of the 'good' things about living in these times is that you have a pretty good chance of making it to old age and, barring any major illnesses, most people think this is a good thing. But this guy is suggesting that at any time this can be thrown away to protect the 'mental health' of the younger. But this means those younger people now have to think about the fact that every year the age the less their life is worth and some dumbfuck lord is going to decide to sacrifice you for the NEW younger generation. Does his criteria for 'worth' mysteriously line up with how much you benefit capitalism?

Things that are great for my mental health: observing the senseless deaths of the generation before me

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

I've seen people stand around chatting in supermarkets and getting in the way and it should be banned forever not just during pandemics, you're in the way of my beans!!

I've not seen it once in the South West?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

The Question IRL posted:

Just to circle back to this for a minute.

So as a father who is going through an investigation into my daughter's death and also a lawyer*, you don't go into these cases lightly. And likewise lawyers don't approach grieving families, rub their hands together and say "fantastic, this will be a juicy pay day! Now to concoct some evidence to indicate systematic wrong doings."

You go into these things because you are looking for answers and hopefully peace of mind. One thing that is often the case when you tell your story over and over again, parts that you have normalized and internalized are actually horrific and they only become obviously horrific when you tell a third party about them**. And when you tell someone about your story and they tell you "what happened to you doesn't sound like it was normal" you have a desire to investigate.

And very often, when you start an investigation, the official version of events can fall apart when the strings are tugged on this.

For example, based on the BBC clip posted there, the poor unfortunate parents of Saffie thought she died instantly in the bombing. Now, this begs the question, why did they think that?
Were they told she had died instantly? And if so, by whom? And why?
But if they examination into her death reveals that she was alive when she reached the hospital, suddenly you have a bunch of extra questions. And if you had been previously told by the authorities one thing (she died instantly) but the evidence reveals something different (she did not) your trust in everything that the authorities have said is gone.

Contrary to what Torries think, parents don't sit around fantasizing that their children die in some manner so they can sue the State and get a paycheck to buy new flat screen TV's and Smartphones. Any parent will tell you that they would trade all the money in the world to just have their child alive again.
But very often the reason these cases end up being so protracted and fought is because the parents were told that nothing could be done, discovered that something could have been done and that no apology is forthcoming. And it's the lack of empathy and the misinformation that drives these things.

I had been told that the UK had moved towards a system where apologies were made and wrongdoings admitted (as a means to reduce liability cases. Which studies have shown that it often does.) but I don't know what has happened here.

*= Albeit one who specializes in criminal law. I have never run a medical negligence case and my starting point for doing one would be "find a good medical negligence lawyer and hire them to do the case."

**= And it's something that is common with most kinds of tragedy. It's sort of a coping mechanism mixed with a desire not to single yourself out. I call it the Misery Olympics. "Yes my legs did get chopped off because of a falling door. Still, some people have it worse. So I can't complain."

This is exactly the kind of reason I posted, so I could learn something like this. Sorry for your loss and thank you for sharing your expertise.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

willie_dee posted:

I've not seen it once in the South West?

I see it constantly in my local Tescos (South West)

blunt fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 18, 2021

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Was anyone chitterwaggering though? The guidance seems particularly harsh on people doing that.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
:thunk:

https://twitter.com/willhumphries_/status/1351089548709789697?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

serious gaylord posted:

Con - Sumption
Makes me imagine the personification of tuberculosis from an old PSA for children, tempting them to stray from their parents and lick spittoons or something, and now I'm trying to remember that one with the weird personification of death in (the disease cartoon one, not the water safety live action one).

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

I've seen people stand around chatting in supermarkets and getting in the way and it should be banned forever not just during pandemics, you're in the way of my beans!!

They used to call the groups of pensioners outside the Post Office in my area a 'Old Biddy Ring'.
Gossiping away waiting to draw out their pension.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/Lord_Sugar/status/1351001328315727873

I know Morgan is a top class poo poo but heaven forbid a journalist actually do some journalism.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Old biddy, god I've not heard that term in years

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

not really surprising that the end result of the press hyping up antisemitism on the left has QCs accusing jews of not being jewish

https://twitter.com/SCynic1/status/1351084979233705986?s=20

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Regarde Aduck posted:

I think that, in an extremely grim and badly phrased way, he's trying to use the concept of something like the QALY (quality adjusted life-year) that's used in health economics to decide whether a treatment represents value for money.

It's not a particularly pleasant way of deciding on actual expenditure, but then when I guess the "cost" in his mind is completely hypothetical damage to the economy it becomes completely meaningless. People making this argument also ignore the huge morbidity of everyone getting covid and the knock on effect (both health and economic) of all the hospitals being full.

Over the past few months I've had a few discussions with friends and a couple have basically ended up saying they would remove restrictions and if old people die, so be it. It's just bizarre and callous to me and no longer a medical question but a political and social one. What's the justification for just letting tens of thousands of people die? How is that different from a dictator deliberately causing famine?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Old biddy, god I've not heard that term in years

Blimey you must be ancient. What do they call you now?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

HopperUK posted:

All I can suggest is that you contact a new GP right away and explain the situation thoroughly to see if there's anything they can do. This is partly down to luck in terms of getting a friendly/motivated receptionist. The other thing you can do is contact your usual pharmacy and see if they have an idea of the best way to help - I know I field calls like that now and then and sometimes I can help with things. If all of that fails, call 111 and explain it to them - they might be able to get an appointment with an out-of-hours doctor.
Cheers, we’ll give those a go

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

happyhippy posted:

They used to call the groups of pensioners outside the Post Office in my area a 'Old Biddy Ring'.
Gossiping away waiting to draw out their pension.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umarell

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Nice article, lead to this which reminds me of visiting Birmingham

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/gongoozler

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jose posted:

not really surprising that the end result of the press hyping up antisemitism on the left has QCs accusing jews of not being jewish

Starting to think the legal profession attracts some unpleasant people.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jose posted:

So it sounds like we’re one hot minute away from proposals to create a Jewish Register to prevent any future confusion

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Things that are great for my mental health: observing the senseless deaths of the generation before me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viWT4JWWfTg

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

Starting to think the legal profession attracts some unpleasant people.

Not sure if it totally maps but I imagine putting "QC" in your loving twitter name indicates the same level of donkeybrained as "PhD".

I would put my shotokan karate dan-rank into my username except it's already just an Ogham text string

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
He's also got one of those cartoon avatars that correlate strongly with being an insufferable prick.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

lmao I liked one tweet in that QC thread and got blocked.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

knox_harrington posted:

I think that, in an extremely grim and badly phrased way, he's trying to use the concept of something like the QALY (quality adjusted life-year) that's used in health economics to decide whether a treatment represents value for money.

It's not a particularly pleasant way of deciding on actual expenditure, but then when I guess the "cost" in his mind is completely hypothetical damage to the economy it becomes completely meaningless. People making this argument also ignore the huge morbidity of everyone getting covid and the knock on effect (both health and economic) of all the hospitals being full.
Also it assumes that for everyone that doesn't die the virus is a cold, and not the (idk the current peer review status or veracity of these claims, but they have been claimed at various stages in journals) 40% rate of irreversible heart damage in even mild cases, or male reproductive epithelial tissue damage in ~20% of mild cases. Are we talking about a huge increase in heart attacks in 10 years time? Will there be a huge increase in infertility? That's kinda important as well as present QALY and hospital capacity when thinking about vaccination and prevention.

TACD posted:

So it sounds like we’re one hot minute away from proposals to create a Jewish Register to prevent any future confusion
Are we going with practicing or 1/8th bloodline?

Failed Imagineer posted:

I would put my shotokan karate dan-rank into my username except it's already just an Ogham text string
Ogham is cool. I wonder if post-Brexit there'll be a campaign to kick the Roman alphabet out.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

TACD posted:

lol my partner just rang up the GP to give them our new address and they told her we’re now outside their catchment area and promptly de-registered her. Receptionist had the gall to tell her she’ll “easily” be able to register at a new practice when that’s a massive bollocks even without a pandemic on.

What we’re really worried about though is the fact she has a repeat prescription she picks up from the pharmacy every month or two; does anybody know if being rudely de-registered will interrupt that?

In this kind of situation, I think (it's been a while since a friend had to do it) a pharmacist can issue an emergency one-off repeat without anything from a GP. I think you have to evidence that you've had the prescription before (which should be easy if you can go to the same pharmacy as previously or have the prescription forms) and there are a few specific medications that it doesn't cover iirc.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Failed Imagineer posted:

Not sure if it totally maps but I imagine putting "QC" in your loving twitter name indicates the same level of donkeybrained as "PhD".

I will not have you besmirch the good name of Dr Robert "Rob" Zands PhD like this.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

big scary monsters posted:

I will not have you besmirch the good name of Dr Robert "Rob" Zands PhD like this.

Ok he's the exception, hon the Bobby

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

we did it everyone

https://twitter.com/DoubleDownNews/status/1351190677409959941?s=20

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Finally Britain first :britain:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

keep punching joe posted:

Finally Britain first :britain:

They would have all died anyway within the next 200 years.

Combine gyms with pubs and open em up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Just a shame he didn't get to contribute personally to the stat.