Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

H110Hawk posted:

Ain't nobody got time for that.

COVID being a thing certainly made a lot of time for me, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Have any of you worked out a work around for both pillarboxing and letterboxing at the same time on ultrawide screens that doesn't involve re-encoding all my media? Just a basic zoom option or the ability to route the video through madVR would be great.

So tired of having a 25" image on a 34" screen :(

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 12, 2021

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

CopperHound posted:

Have any of you worked out a work around for both pillarboxing and letterboxing at the same time on ultrawide screens that doesn't involve re-encoding all my media? Just a basic zoom option or the ability to route the video through madVR would be great.

I don't think so ATM. Plex could definitely use some AR output options in its video player. I have a bunch of OTA subchannels whose station engineer thinks should be 4x3. Easy fix in Android TV Channels app, but on my desktop in Plex, get what I get.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

CopperHound posted:

Does your media actually include the black bars in its source material? Are those 1:1 Remuxes from a Blu-ray or UHD Blu-ray?

If you could somehow get Plex to support Avisynth scripts you could crop the black bars losslessly that way but I'd be very surprised if that worked and that could put serious demand on your CPU potentially. You might be better off just doing a really high bitrate re-encode of anything with an AR larger than 1.77 or 1.85:1 and using that.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

TheScott2K posted:

I don't think so ATM
Okay, I figured something out. There are two separate downloads: Plex for Windows and Plex Media Player

And they render video differently :psyduck:

Plex media player does tone mapping and Pan & Scan. I wasn't exactly looking to chop the sides from videos. You can change the zoom mode to a few preselected options.... but you can only do that in TV mode which makes mouse scrubbing unfunctional.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 12, 2021

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Is there a trick to finding series you want to record? I need to schedule all the Chicago PD Fire Med Law whatever poo poo that my wife wants to record but the inauguration converge is bumping them past next Wednesday. How do I skip to the next Wednesday the jump is only got one week but I have 14 days of guide. This was her only requirement to me canceling my dumb TV subscription of which she only watches this one mega and bad shows.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

Is there a trick to finding series you want to record? I need to schedule all the Chicago PD Fire Med Law whatever poo poo that my wife wants to record but the inauguration converge is bumping them past next Wednesday. How do I skip to the next Wednesday the jump is only got one week but I have 14 days of guide. This was her only requirement to me canceling my dumb TV subscription of which she only watches this one mega and bad shows.

Title in the search bar should get you what you're looking for, assuming the guide data you have goes out that far.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
I would like to watch Star Wars: The Clone Wars in chronological order.

Is there any easy way to import a playlist for this or do I have to drag them all around manually?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does the tvdb have that as one of its alternative orderings, because plex supports that now. It’s an option in Advanced (I believe) when you edit a show.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

EL BROMANCE posted:

Does the tvdb have that as one of its alternative orderings, because plex supports that now. It’s an option in Advanced (I believe) when you edit a show.

I don't know what that it is, but changing the ordering on a tv show never actually does anything for me.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Yeah, the alternate ordering is what you're looking for. Though, it's mostly for stuff like firefly where the air order was wrong vs the episode order on the discs. I think the default is to always take the disc order, weird alternates might be there however.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Moey posted:

I don't know what that it is, but changing the ordering on a tv show never actually does anything for me.

Oh glad it’s not me, I only tried it once and figured I screwed up because someone else was saying it worked for them.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I've been seeing a weird issue with my Roku TV and Plex. On some recently added movies it will sit at buffering at 33% and not do anything. Other recently added movies work fine. I've turned off hardware transcoding and tried directstream. Just seems completely random, any thoughts on where to look for potential issues? The only thing I can think of is the audio is 7.1 and the others are 5.1.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

calandryll posted:

I've been seeing a weird issue with my Roku TV and Plex. On some recently added movies it will sit at buffering at 33% and not do anything. Other recently added movies work fine. I've turned off hardware transcoding and tried directstream. Just seems completely random, any thoughts on where to look for potential issues? The only thing I can think of is the audio is 7.1 and the others are 5.1.

Change the H.264 level setting if it's default to the max (max is probably like 5.2 or something) and see if that helps.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
My Plex DVR always craps out after a few weeks.

I'll go in the Plex web interface and the guide will update and everything will be groovy. Then a few weeks later, it's like the guide runs out... all my local channels say "Unknown Airing", going to the Guide in the Plex client on Apple TV says "Guide is Unavailable" and a Retry instantly fails...and the DVR Schedule becomes completely blank.

Nothing obvious in the Plex logs or scheduled tasks but I don't know what I'm looking for... shouldn't the server know to go out and update the guide occasionally on its own?

Hed fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 23, 2021

Violator
May 15, 2003

Any suggestions for minimum upload speed for a worthwhile sharing experience? I was thinking about setting up my folks with access to my Plex library, but my upload is usually about 9-11 Mbps. Is that fast enough to be worthwhile or will it look like smashed dog poo poo?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Plex remote streaming on most clients defaults to 720p 3mbit, you should be fine if it’s just them and you’re not using the upstream for a bunch of other stuff. From memory it looks perfectly fine for what it is.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I stream to 3 people at 720p 3mbps on a 20mbps upload connection and it’s been just fine. Keep in mind that remote clients will buffer the stream so they’re not actually all uploading at the same time, they will each take turns downloading the chunks they need.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Ah perfect, thanks. They're getting to the age where if something doesn't work pretty quickly they say gently caress it, so I'm glad to hear it's so efficient.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Hed posted:

My Plex DVR always craps out after a few weeks.

I'll go in the Plex web interface and the guide will update and everything will be groovy. Then a few weeks later, it's like the guide runs out... all my local channels say "Unknown Airing", going to the Guide in the Plex client on Apple TV says "Guide is Unavailable" and a Retry instantly fails...and the DVR Schedule becomes completely blank.

Nothing obvious in the Plex logs or scheduled tasks but I don't know what I'm looking for... shouldn't the server know to go out and update the guide occasionally on its own?

Have you deleted your dvr and started over since Jan 1? Plex emailed me that I had to delete and add my dvr again.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks, I tried this and appears to be working now. But no one emailed me or anything.

I’m sure I’ll be back again in a few weeks when I outrun my Guide.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
So this is cool.....but also $2.99 a month

https://www.plex.tv/arcade/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYepu_5oSOc

I've got a Shield so I won't be trying this. How much do you want to bet this is who they generate revenue for those that already have a life time Plex Pass?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

idk, it seems like an interesting idea but I wonder how may folks will take advantage of it. I like the parsec partnership, but that seems to be the onus of the monthly charge and the server OS limitations. Like I super love the idea and have been wanting a way to mess with ROMs over my network, but I'm not sure I'm down for 36 $/yr to do so. I'm hoping they would do some sort of free tier for folks with a pass already but given that they apparently let you load in your own ROMs for the paid stuff that doesn't seem likely.

Best case I'm hoping for is that it pisses off some of the community enough to get a web server frontend to RetroArch or whatever set up with proper remote play in the next few weeks. Upon my last looking a few weeks back that didn't seem to be a readily accessible thing.

Edit - Unrelated but is there a more elegant solution for watching Plex on a Quest than streaming from your desktop or using the base browser? I know Bigscreen has DLNA support, but that's not ideal.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 26, 2021

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I would ask in the VR thread, Plex comes up every now and then.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Bonzo posted:

So this is cool.....but also $2.99 a month

https://www.plex.tv/arcade/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYepu_5oSOc

I've got a Shield so I won't be trying this. How much do you want to bet this is who they generate revenue for those that already have a life time Plex Pass?

Yeah definitely another wild stab at monetizing. Who the hell would be interested in this, but also be willing to tolerate the downsides of streaming when basically anything a gamepad can pair with can run these games locally?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Still not sure what the point of Parsec is. The CPU power required to run anything 16 bit and below is miniscule and N64 and PS1 is achievable even using the most basic-rear end Android TV box.

Warbird posted:

Edit - Unrelated but is there a more elegant solution for watching Plex on a Quest than streaming from your desktop or using the base browser? I know Bigscreen has DLNA support, but that's not ideal.

You can sideload the Android app or use Kodi, but then you're stuck viewing it in a statically sized and positioned virtual display. Facebook are slowly bringing over some degree of window management (you can adjust the position of the launch bar now) but it's nowhere near as robust as Oculus Dash on PC yet.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Bleh. Thanks for the info though. As for needing Parsec I assume it’s primarily for their networking code/codecs as that poo poo is borderline magic for latency. Plex is intended to be more hands off unless you want to tinker so may as well make it as seamless as possible I suppose.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Just install steam on your server, steam remote play has you covered completely.
You can add your emulator .exe manually to steam and then launch it from any smartphone / laptop whatever. It even has it's own on-screen controls when you're mobile if you don't have a BT controller.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I can't imagine where someone with a plex server and a rom set wouldn't have the wherewithall to set up their own service through steam or Moonlight or remote desktop or locally. I'd be keen if they were actually offering a good secure and unified remote desktop service but only for like six bucks py.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I will gladly pay an extra 2.99 a month for an ebook/CBR/CBZ reader add-on, Plex, you fucks. What the hell.

SCheeseman posted:

Still not sure what the point of Parsec is.

Low latency local multiplayer gaming across remote PCs.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Did a bunch of testing for Plex arcade over the past few hours. It's magic when it works (extremely low latency when used over a local network) but they launched way too hot, the implementation is janky as gently caress. It breaks a lot and when stuff isn't working there's basically no feedback telling you why (e.g. there are actually deceptively high system requirements due to the streaming technology being used, like you either need a gaming-class GPU or at least a 4th generation i5. My main server is a 3rd-generation i5 and doesn't work but acts like it will work so that took me a while to suss out). Sharing libraries works but any users must ALSO be subbed to the Plex Arcade pass so it's not really viable. I only got NES games working, too, none of the SNES cores I tried worked (you need a weird third party program running unsigned code to get working emulator cores for the most part).

Have some in-Plex boxart.

univbee fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 27, 2021

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

univbee posted:

Did a bunch of testing for Plex arcade over the past few hours. It's magic when it works (extremely low latency when used over a local network) but they launched way too hot, the implementation is janky as gently caress.

*jazz hands* Plex!

quote:

It breaks a lot and when stuff isn't working there's basically no feedback telling you why (e.g. there are actually deceptively high system requirements due to the streaming technology being used, like you either need a gaming-class GPU or at least a 4th generation i5. My main server is a 3rd-generation i5 and doesn't work but acts like it will work so that took me a while to suss out). Sharing libraries works but any users must ALSO be subbed to the Plex Arcade pass so it's not really viable. I only got NES games working, too, none of the SNES cores I tried worked (you need a weird third party program running unsigned code to get working emulator cores for the most part).

I roll my eyes at the "just get a retropie" or "just install retroarch" guys pretty often, but in this case holy poo poo. Just put Retroarch on your phone, tablet, or AndroidTV device.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

teagone posted:

I will gladly pay an extra 2.99 a month for an ebook/CBR/CBZ reader add-on, Plex, you fucks. What the hell.

Fuckin' preach. Google Play Books has a stroke anytime I try and upload the books I buy through the Humble Bundles so I have a hard time reading those at work (I have them on my android devices but I try not to be on my phone there). I have it set up to upload all my books to Google Drive, but reading them there isn't anywhere as nice as the Kindle webreader is, and it doesn't save my progress. If Plex added something I'd be over the moon (and saving so much space on my devices).

I thought about trying the new Plex Arcade thing, but it entirely depends on how they handle roms. If they have all the consoles that RetroArch supports then it might be worth it. Right now I have all my roms saved to every device I would want to play them on, and have the saves synced via Google Drive. If I could stream everything from my Shield to my phone/tablet/etc then that would work nicely for me (Steam Link is garbage for when I'm on my work network but Plex works just fine for some reason). But if it only supports "retro" games, then I'll pass. Still, I'm interested enough to re-bookmark this thread to see what y'all think.

Edit: Missed this when I posted

univbee posted:

Did a bunch of testing for Plex arcade over the past few hours. It's magic when it works (extremely low latency when used over a local network) but they launched way too hot, the implementation is janky as gently caress. It breaks a lot and when stuff isn't working there's basically no feedback telling you why (e.g. there are actually deceptively high system requirements due to the streaming technology being used, like you either need a gaming-class GPU or at least a 4th generation i5. My main server is a 3rd-generation i5 and doesn't work but acts like it will work so that took me a while to suss out). Sharing libraries works but any users must ALSO be subbed to the Plex Arcade pass so it's not really viable. I only got NES games working, too, none of the SNES cores I tried worked (you need a weird third party program running unsigned code to get working emulator cores for the most part).

Yea, that's going to be a pass from me then. I have a gaming PC at home I could move my Plex server to for this, but I hate leaving that thing on basically 24/7 or having to anticipate when I might feel like gaming away from home. That's the main reason I got a Shield Pro and it sounds like that wouldn't even handle this. Also, all that headache is so not worth NES (or older) games. Hell, almost all the SNES games I would want to play I get with the Nintendo Switch Online plan I already pay 20$/year for (and I don't have to worry about lovely internet for that). I'm good.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 27, 2021

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

It doesn’t support much right now:

MAME
Atari 2600, 5200, 7800
NES, SNES
Game Boy, GBC, GBA
Sega Master System, Game Gear, Genesis, 32X

That’s it.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Get neo-geo on that list, then we can talk.

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"
I got a bit salty over Plex breaking the arcade feature out from the lifetime license, but I would be willing to drop $60-100 on this feature standalone if it was properly done. If they want to be a libretro frontend though that is a much bigger commitment than this kind of janky implementation they have now, but one they have to do to offer the feature. Unless you are curating and repackaging like Steam or GOG, then if you are asking enthusiast users to do this for you the implementation need to be either full featured or incredibly simple and polished. This feels like something an unsupported user plugin might offer, and it's frankly a bit insulting to charge money for it at this stage at all. There is pretty much nothing to gain from this over using Steam Link, Moonlight, or Parsec itself in many cases.

Long term if they drop the Atari license, and work out some kind of deal to license the parsec network code for input latency, they could then sell Arcade support as a Plex add-on. Hopefully with its own lifetime license option. But that only works if the product itself works. Right now there's no ability to load or configure the retroarch cores, remap controls, etc. It's like whoever actually did the coding implementation on this was tasked with just making it run at all costs, and completely blew past what is required to run cores through Retroarch.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Looks like its not that great

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/01/plex-adds-game-streaming-as-paid-add-on-completely-botches-the-landing/

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Glad they fixed sync and the other paid features before moving on to this at least! ;)

I do love plex a ton, but man there's so many nitpicky things I have that are never dealt with, never realised to their full potential (collections for example, although it at least seem custom ordering is in the code base now but it's going very slowly for something that doesn't sound too complicated), or just never added. Like, to adjust the added date to a collection I shouldn't need to open a database editor, give some more power to the web interface administration.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

skywalker6705 posted:

I got a bit salty over Plex breaking the arcade feature out from the lifetime license, but I would be willing to drop $60-100 on this feature standalone if it was properly done. If they want to be a libretro frontend though that is a much bigger commitment than this kind of janky implementation they have now, but one they have to do to offer the feature. Unless you are curating and repackaging like Steam or GOG, then if you are asking enthusiast users to do this for you the implementation need to be either full featured or incredibly simple and polished. This feels like something an unsupported user plugin might offer, and it's frankly a bit insulting to charge money for it at this stage at all. There is pretty much nothing to gain from this over using Steam Link, Moonlight, or Parsec itself in many cases.

People keep saying this but I’ve never really gotten my head wrapped around the whole scope of the matter. I assume people are either adding emulators with flags to launch a given rom as “games” for these programs to stream or they’re just up and streaming the emulator raw and using controllers or whatever to navigate the interface to them launch the roms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Warbird posted:

People keep saying this but I’ve never really gotten my head wrapped around the whole scope of the matter. I assume people are either adding emulators with flags to launch a given rom as “games” for these programs to stream or they’re just up and streaming the emulator raw and using controllers or whatever to navigate the interface to them launch the roms?

Either approach works, depending.

Most emulators will work with commandline switches to auto-load a particular ROM. So you can create two shortcuts (not actual commands, just an example):

"c:\bsnes\bsnes.exe c:\snesroms\supermarioworld.smc"
"c:\bsnes\bsnes.exe c:\snesroms\linktothepast.smc"

And then each of those can be independently executed, so you have a link that's just for "Super Mario World" and one that's just for "A Link To The Past" and you can manage those independently.

And that's at it most basic, you can also in some cases have extra switches to, for example, load a different settings file for the emulator if you're playing with a different configuration for a particular game.

I would do this with Steam shortcuts a lot so I could launch a particular emulated game and have it show that I was playing it on my Steam user profile and stuff like that.