Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Lazyfire posted:

Yeah, Amazon is mostly resellers at this point, you can't really rely on anything being what it says it is unless it is sold directly by Amazon. I had to buy a rack mounted router for work and it showed up without the rack mount equipment despite being specifically listed as having them. Other stuff has shown up broke or the wrong thing entirely. I hate the people I work with because they believe Amazon is an actual good supplier and base designs off things that they can find there.

Anyway, Uline, Digi-Key, McMaster Carr, CDW, Faison Office Products, Mouser and a few other places are usually slightly more expensive, but they ALWAYS deliver the thing you bought and will provide documentation to prove it.

Fun fact about Uline they're owned by right winged assholes. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/07/us/politics/liz-dick-uihlein-republican-donors.html. I did however buy masks from them and do trust that they are indeed what they claim to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

23 years into a pack and change a day habit and I really didn't expect to hear "benefits of smoking" but here we are.

Now if weed has any protective effects, I'm practically wearing a suit of smoke armor.

Smoking - well more specifically nicotine - also seems to protect against Alzheimers (yes, even when you account for the fact smokers die much earlier) and certain types of schizophrenia.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Spinz posted:

Actually I think it's something about nicotine attaching to the ace 2 receptors that coronavirus likes to use so it's in the way

Something like that I think

IIRC that was also a proposed mechanism for why people with congenital hypertension seemed to have better outcomes.

(As a smoker with congenital hypertension and O+ blood I'm just gonna go out and start licking doorknobs right now because I might not have enough time to wait for the vaccine to make it safe again)

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
https://twitter.com/lauren_ash/status/1351061291713126402

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Are crematoria a particularly large contributor to the bad air quality, or is it a case of everyone cuts back on bad air days, oh, but not the places keeping bodies from literally piling up in the streets?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Platystemon posted:

Are crematoria a particularly large contributor to the bad air quality, or is it a case of everyone cuts back on bad air days, oh, but not the places keeping bodies from literally piling up in the streets?

The person tweeting is misinterpreting the article, essentially. It's not the case that the air is choking primarily with the smog of the char-grilled dead, but rather there are enough people dying that they are waiving usual air quality regulations (on how many people you can cremate in a day or whatever). Cremations do release particulates and pollutants that contribute to poor air quality, so I guess are subject to environmental rules (at least in LA). But they would still be small potatoes compared to industrial incineration and whatnot.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lazyfire posted:

Yeah, Amazon is mostly resellers at this point, you can't really rely on anything being what it says it is unless it is sold directly by Amazon. I had to buy a rack mounted router for work and it showed up without the rack mount equipment despite being specifically listed as having them. Other stuff has shown up broke or the wrong thing entirely. I hate the people I work with because they believe Amazon is an actual good supplier and base designs off things that they can find there.

It's also a great place to buy fake Samsung or Apple chargers, I found.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Jeza posted:

The person tweeting is misinterpreting the article, essentially. It's not the case that the air is choking primarily with the smog of the char-grilled dead, but rather there are enough people dying that they are waiving usual air quality regulations (on how many people you can cremate in a day or whatever). Cremations do release particulates and pollutants that contribute to poor air quality, so I guess are subject to environmental rules (at least in LA). But they would still be small potatoes compared to industrial incineration and whatnot.

yeah, it's an interesting article, but the twitter spin is questionable

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

zgrowler2 posted:

I'm gonna reserve my remaining KN95s for anytime anyone else comes over and wear a half-mask respirator anytime I'm outside the house.

I don't mean to come off as an rear end, but if you want to make sure not to get infected, you move should not be "invite people over and wear an N95 mask". It should be "don't invite people over".

I still can't shake the feeling that the proliferation of mask-wearing is contributing to spread1. A lot of people seem to mistakenly assume it's OK to stay indoors with other people for extended periods, as long as everyone masks up.

1 Compared to not wearing a mask but isolating.

Edit: To clarify, I'm not a Trumper, I'm just paranoid and don't trust masks to keep people safe.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 18, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I don't mean to come off as an rear end, but if you want to make sure not to get infected, you move should not be "invite people over and wear an N95 mask". It should be "don't invite people over".

I still can't shake the feeling that the proliferation of mask-wearing is contributing to spread1. A lot of people seem to mistakenly assume it's OK to stay indoors with other people for extended periods, as long as everyone masks up.

Edit: To clarify, I'm not a Trumper, I'm just paranoid and don't trust masks to keep people safe.

Yeah in a genuine lockdown the plan is 1) socially isolate as much as possible, and 2) if you have to go near other people (shopping for essentials, essential work) then wear PPE to lower the chances of spreading infection. Masks alone aren't enough to lower Ro below 1 and the cases will just keep expanding until people get scared enough to start isolating again.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Ah poo poo I have it and I have a bad heart. Is there anything I can do to minimise risk and possible symptoms?

Also wtf should I do for food shopping and stuff now this is a nightmare.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Bape Culture posted:

Ah poo poo I have it and I have a bad heart. Is there anything I can do to minimise risk and possible symptoms?

1) the usual infection things, rest, drink tea, call a doctor if you notice concerning symptoms. Maybe get a check-up when you're recovered to check for new problems.

2) in many areas there are volunteer orgs who will shop for you. If you can't find such a thing, and don't have friends or neighbors who are willing, you can order online.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Bape Culture posted:

gently caress dude, hang in there man

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Vitamin D3 and quercitin might help. I've been taking them this whole time and it hasn't harmed me, at least

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

honestly, from what i've seen, the people who are most likely to hang out with a bunch of people are also the people who are more lax about mask wearing (or wearing a mask correctly). but that could just be anecdotal

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Bape Culture posted:

I can’t offer any advice, but best wishes for a speedy recovery and a mild case!

Classic Comrade posted:

honestly, from what i've seen, the people who are most likely to hang out with a bunch of people are also the people who are more lax about mask wearing (or wearing a mask correctly). but that could just be anecdotal
I mean, those things go hand in hand don’t they? Hanging out with tons of people is the very definition of not taking precautions here.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Bape Culture posted:

With grocery stores like mine, we offer free curbside pick-up for orders over $50. No contact necessary. We have reserved parking and we just wheel up the groceries and put them anywhere in the vehicle you need. My advice is to seek a chain of local store that will also provide something like this.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Yeah we have that too. But all collection and delivery slots are full for 2 weeks! Suppose that implies that loads of people have it. Fortunately got some friends to do it. Wasn’t even thinking when I asked that haha.

I suppose with my wife being a nurse this was inevitable. Just hope it doesn’t hit use too hard.

Weirdly her lateral flow tests are still returning negatives but the proper one in the hospital a positive so signed off from work.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Bape Culture posted:

Yeah we have that too. But all collection and delivery slots are full for 2 weeks! Suppose that implies that loads of people have it. Fortunately got some friends to do it. Wasn’t even thinking when I asked that haha.

I suppose with my wife being a nurse this was inevitable. Just hope it doesn’t hit use too hard.

Weirdly her lateral flow tests are still returning negatives but the proper one in the hospital a positive so signed off from work.

yeah :( we've been getting slammed with orders despite the fact that we're a small store. Spikes just seem to come and go randomly.

My family and I got COVID last March just before it really began to make headlines in the US. Surprisingly, I don't think I was the first of my family to contract it, despite working at the grocery- my girlfriend caught it at the insurance claim agency she worked at, and then it spread between us. It's just such a crazy loving thing. Just make sure you get plenty of rest.

The aches and pains, the chills, the fatigue... it was all worse than any illness I'd ever felt before. My girlfriend's brother, he's a nurse, and he practically forced me to drink gatorade for the electrolytes and all that. I wasn't expecting it to help much more than other fluids, and maybe it was just because I was chugging down so many liquids in general when I was able to sit up, but my girlfriend and I each only suffered the worst symptoms for a span of around 3 days. I can only think that we just got a very malleable strain, or that we were simply lucky, because my mom was suffering for practically 2 weeks and she had far more respiratory issues than we had.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Absolutely no offense taken! For context, my prior living situation for the entirety of the pandemic up until now involved only leaving the house for work and survival and masking up anytime I was out. The only people invited over were people I was already in regular exposure to from mandatory contact at work and masks were observed + I knew and vetted their quarantine habits outside of work. However, now that I've moved and am no longer under my own roof and rules, that exposure threshold is going to change. I can't keep my folks from having immediate family over, even if that's exactly how they got covid. They're less concerned since they already got it. I don't know anyone here besides family and will not be inviting anyone in, masking up at any contact outside of the people I live with is gonna be the best I can do. C'est la vie

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
My girlfriend just tested positive. She works at a testing site so she gets tested every day. I haven't seen her in over a week though but they said she got it between 5-10 days ago so I could have been exposed in that time too. I'm going to CVS to get tested today.

I guess I'm quarantining until I get the results. I feel bad because I don't do anything anyway so it'll be no big change for me.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Fame Douglas posted:

It's also a great place to buy fake Samsung or Apple chargers, I found.

Yeah, counterfeit parts on Amazon are such a huge problem that my company lists them specifically as a non-viable vendor for all electronics. That puts them on the level of eBay sellers. The problem is that the area of the company I buy for has not learned this and will go put together a system based on what is available from Amazon. We've run into cases where we specifically have to buy this thing that isn't available from a reputable vendor and so we end up submitting paperwork to the government for a six dollar piece of plastic so we can get something at risk. Fun times.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

liz posted:

Thoughts on false positives? Get tested fairly regularly and received a positive result a week before Christmas. I only go to stores/daily walks and wear a mask all the time. Tested negative a week before that, plus two negative tests 3 and 6 days after the positive one (Got retested to make sure it wasn’t a mistake since I had no symptoms). All PCR tests from the same site. Needless to say, this caused a huge mental panic and resulted in me spending Christmas alone :( I followed the CDC guidelines and isolated for 10 days but never had symptoms. What a way to end 2020!

I’ve been thinking about my possible false positive from last month and came to this conclusion: Is it possible that my fingers contaminated my sample when putting the swab into the tube?

The testing site I go to is run by Curative, which does self administered oral tests via a long swab that is snapped apart in the middle and placed into the tube with liquid. You’re supposed to shake it a few times, so could it be possible that my fingers touched something with the virus on it (maybe even the bag containing the test kit) and got into the liquid causing the positive result? :iiam:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

liz posted:

I’ve been thinking about my possible false positive from last month and came to this conclusion: Is it possible that my fingers contaminated my sample when putting the swab into the tube?

The testing site I go to is run by Curative, which does self administered oral tests via a long swab that is snapped apart in the middle and placed into the tube with liquid. You’re supposed to shake it a few times, so could it be possible that my fingers touched something with the virus on it (maybe even the bag containing the test kit) and got into the liquid causing the positive result? :iiam:
Do you know what particular test they used?

Contamination of some kind is always possible, particularly in an overworked lab. Some tests also have more false positives than others for various reasons.

Hard to say for sure what happened from a single result though.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Aren't the rapid tests less reliable?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

busalover posted:

yeah, it's an interesting article, but the twitter spin is questionable

Twitter gonna Twitter.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Aren't the rapid tests less reliable?
Yeah, usually due to false negatives though moreso than false positives. Every test is different though and each one has a different performance profile.

Also, I hope you and your gf are ok!

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Phuzun posted:

I don't have the link, but Canada saw a correlation between pot smokers and not contracting covid. So maybe helpful.

Went looking for a link and found this one about developing a stain to protect against it.

dat dere CBD

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWZoVGivBM

Chief McHeath fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 19, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
No idea of the specific scenario, but generally you're balancing a lot of statistical factors against each other and 100% accurate results every time are basically impossible. The two big parameters with which you can fiddle are sensitivity and intensity (I'm sure there's a more specific term for this, but I'm blanking at the moment). A highly sensitive test is more likely to give a false positive than a false negative, while the inverse is true for a moderately sensitive test. A highly intense test is more likely to give accurate results but costs more time and resources, resulting in lower test availability.

For COVID, you want to weed false negatives as far as possible, and make the test widely available, which results in a non-negligible risk of false positive. This is preferable to any alternative, because a false positive fucks up one person's schedule and is a stress factor for them, while a false negative or unavailable test can result in a whole lot of preventable infections.

I'm not sure if that has anything to do with your question, and I'm sure it's not much of a comfort, but false positives happen because they are the least evil.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

No idea of the specific scenario, but generally you're balancing a lot of statistical factors against each other and 100% accurate results every time are basically impossible. The two big parameters with which you can fiddle are sensitivity and intensity (I'm sure there's a more specific term for this, but I'm blanking at the moment). A highly sensitive test is more likely to give a false positive than a false negative, while the inverse is true for a moderately sensitive test. A highly intense test is more likely to give accurate results but costs more time and resources, resulting in lower test availability.

For COVID, you want to weed false negatives as far as possible, and make the test widely available, which results in a non-negligible risk of false positive. This is preferable to any alternative, because a false positive fucks up one person's schedule and is a stress factor for them, while a false negative or unavailable test can result in a whole lot of preventable infections.

I'm not sure if that has anything to do with your question, and I'm sure it's not much of a comfort, but false positives happen because they are the least evil.
The two factors you’re thinking of are clinical sensitivity and specificity. A perfectly sensitive test will not miss any cases, so all negatives would be true negatives. A perfectly specific test would not falsely diagnose you, so all positives would be true positives. It’s generally not possible to be 100% at both (or frankly even one), so yeah, depending on the condition and what would be more desirable clinically, you turn the dial to favor one over the other. Good tests for many pathogens do achieve high-90s% for one or both parameters though.

Most COVID-19 tests struggle a lot more with sensitivity than specificity because the viral load can be wildly different depending on when you get tested. There simply might not be enough virus in a sample to detect it if you’re sampled too early in the disease course. Specificity is somewhat easier because SARS-CoV-2 is pretty different from the vast majority of other human-infecting pathogens out there.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Ah right, that's how it goes. I even used the word specific in my comment about not recalling the term. :doh:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Ah right, that's how it goes. I even used the word specific in my comment about not recalling the term. :doh:
”Intense” is a much more badass term tbh. “Your results were positive because this test was too intense for you.”

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I'm also quite positive this is the case, especially in the US. In places where the virus is rampant mask wearing is obviously good and it's insane that it's become a culture war issue, but masks are not a panacea; yet many people treat them as such because they directly tie into the popular notion that personal responsibility and individual action are the most important things, as opposed to government action.

Anecdotally I have plenty of acquaintances in England and America that I see on Instagram and FB doing social events "safely" because they're wearing masks. I get that it must be gruelling to have to be dealing with this for 10 months now, but masks do not make social gatherings "safe." There's a reason that when doctors go into a COVID ward they're wearing full PPE, not just a homemade cloth mask.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Lazyfire posted:

Anyway, Uline, Digi-Key, McMaster Carr, CDW, Faison Office Products, Mouser and a few other places are usually slightly more expensive, but they ALWAYS deliver the thing you bought and will provide documentation to prove it.

I'm a reseller on other platforms and tbh, the way Amazon does things is baffling to me. They'll have rando sellers selling something for like 2-4x what it goes for anywhere else and nothing but a vague condition description and no pictures of the actual item you'll be getting. As lovely a reputation as eBay has, at least you have a decent idea what you're getting as long as the seller isn't a total moron.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Guess who just finished an isolation last week because he was exposed via his hairdresser?

This guy.

Guess who just got an email with a positive case in his kids class?

This guy.

Theeeee ciiiiirrrcccllleeeeeee of iisssooolllaaaatttiiiooonnnn

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Hey, but you got sweet haircut, so it’s totally worth it!

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Imagine going to a hairdresser or barber with the virus as out of control as it is now.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
But my life is important, I'm the hero! Not like all of these disgusting idiots who don't wear masks and take unnecessary risks :rolleyes:

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Imagine going to a hairdresser or barber with the virus as out of control as it is now.

I don't get this in particular. It's so unnecessary. There are hundreds of youtube videos about how to cut hair (your own or someone else's). Saves money, and no exposure. It seems like a no-brainer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

stab posted:

Guess who just finished an isolation last week because he was exposed via his hairdresser?

This guy.

Guess who just got an email with a positive case in his kids class?

This guy.

Theeeee ciiiiirrrcccllleeeeeee of iisssooolllaaaatttiiiooonnnn

On the plus side, your hair probably looks better than everyone else's here.