Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Opatchki, tourist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Cage Kicker posted:

my question is, how are you repeatedly exposing yourself to scavs from 100+m for long enough to get killed by them?

As I said: their first shot, as everyone in this thread has experienced all I heard is a voice line and bang and I was dead before I had time to get into cover or react really. I know the game enough that if I do see a scav and it sees me I reposition and dont just get behind the nearest cover and peek my head out to get it shot off. I just hope they keep working on scavs where laser aim isnt needed to compensate for bad AI, especially for regular scavs, save that for raiders. Scavs should really be designed to be formidable in groups. I dont mind if you meet a scav with an sks and it one taps you if you go in under armored but instantly snapping to your head to laser buckshot you from 100m away is kind of silly.

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

Just Chamber posted:

As I said: their first shot, as everyone in this thread has experienced all I heard is a voice line and bang and I was dead before I had time to get into cover or react really. I know the game enough that if I do see a scav and it sees me I reposition and dont just get behind the nearest cover and peek my head out to get it shot off. I just hope they keep working on scavs where laser aim isnt needed to compensate for bad AI, especially for regular scavs, save that for raiders. Scavs should really be designed to be formidable in groups. I dont mind if you meet a scav with an sks and it one taps you if you go in under armored but instantly snapping to your head to laser buckshot you from 100m away is kind of silly.

Nonsense, this is peak tarkov. Having a 3mil key go non fir is all part of the experience.

https://streamable.com/0duoa4

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Getting face tapped by a scav from a ridiculous distance or angle is just a rite of passage. Complaining about it but getting over it makes you a true tarkovian.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

So getting tapped in the face by scavs is definitely a right of passage - it's happened to everyone, but the number one thing I recommend to begin surviving scavs if you aggro them is to just shoot at them.

You're probably thinking this is a "git gud" post but what I'm really getting at is that in my experience all scavs perform worse when they are under fire even if you're not hitting them. The same is true for bosses and boss guards. Perfect headshots are a thing you do when you're super good and have the reaction time to line up the headshot before the scav goes from vocalizing to pulling the trigger, which isn't me - my reaction time is average at best on a good day. Or it's when the scav doesn't know you're there and you can take the time to aim without being under pressure. So if I stumble into a scav and they see me and aggro I'll just start firing. Their aim goes to poo poo. They might hit an arm or a leg or something in the exchange, or both, but they won't headshot me. Landing a hit on them is even better, even if its a stomach or an arm shot or something, because then the aim punch will really gently caress them up. If - after getting aggro'd - you sit there like a chump and just let them shoot at you while you take damage aiming the perfect head/eyes shot their aim will get progressively better and you're going to get murdered.

Most of this post is obviously just my personal anecdotes and I have no idea if scavs have a "i'm under fire adjust aim by -10" status coded in or anything. They probably don't and that's just my rose colored glasses.

Also, learn how to break aggro. This skill is especially important for boss scavs and boss guards, but also works wonders on ye olde regular scavs. If a scav sees you it will sit and watch the last place it saw you until it re-establishes contact. If you enter into a disadvantageous situation with a scav, hear it vocalize and aren't in a good position just run behind cover or something. Don't peak the same side twice. Resetting the encounter will give you breathing room to re-engage the scav. This goes double for dangerous scavs like bosses and guards and probably cultists too. They have better aim, better guns and better ammo and you can't afford to be trading fire with them. They also have an ESP feature that regular scavs don't and they basically know when you're looking at them. If they begin firing at you run away. Boss scavs and guards are aggressive enough to chase after you many times which will allow you to hold a corner on them as they run into your LOS. But even if they don't. Peaking your head around a corner they last saw you at is a recipe to get head tapped. Running away from boss scavs when they vocalize is also a real good way to not have a grenade land perfectly beneath your feet because they love to do that too.

Lastly, if you wear armor and a helmet your chances of dying to a scav go way down, not just because you have some level of protection from bullets but because scavs typically aim for unarmored areas like legs and arms. It's why I always wear a helmet. Helmets are, at best, going to save you only a handful of times per wipe from a player, because PMCs bring in typically good ammo that ignore most helmet armors barring a ricochet. But they will save you from scavs. I haven't been headtapped by a scav this wipe, but I have lost a bunch of arms and legs to them.

I get it, we're talking about basically losing the scav roulette and when a scav decides to head/eyes you with a toz when you walk around a corner there's not much you can do. These are just my general anti-scav/scav survival tips.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
you guys have converted me, im almost fully pp-19 with AP now.

I want to keep my builds budget, right now I'm using the pp-19 with AP, a uley and a soup bowl. Should I be using different armor?

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Slumpy posted:

I want to keep my builds budget, right now I'm using the pp-19 with AP, a uley and a soup bowl. Should I be using different armor?

Use the 6b3tm instead of the Uley. Ragman 2, 50k roubles or so

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

TheTofuShop posted:

Use the 6b3tm instead of the Uley. Ragman 2, 50k roubles or so

The 6B3TM (aka Goon Smock) also repairs quite well and you can find good deals from Fence a lot.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

Inspector_666 posted:

The 6B3TM (aka Goon Smock) also repairs quite well and you can find good deals from Fence a lot.

I absolutely love that dogshit ugly armor. It's the wardrobe of effective Mosin Men everywhere.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Slumpy posted:

It's a good gun. Too bad I only have access to pst right now, that stuff is dogshit.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Great Beer posted:

It's a good gun. Too bad I only have access to pst right now, that stuff is dogshit.

peacekeeper 3 is really really good for the midgame, would recommend running safes for your flash drives if you don't have them.

also slumpy your setup is good but I would recommend the 6b3tm over the uley because material matters a lot in this game both for armor durability and repairability and titan is much better than ceramic. If you have ragman 2 that is.

Ixtlilton fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 18, 2021

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Mae posted:

You can probably use a PP-19 with a butt pad and a cobra to 90% usability, which is probably closer to 50k.

But really you should join UMP gang and shoot a better, cheaper bullet than AP 6.3 for a somehow even cheaper gun off flea market

ACP isn't better than AP 6.3

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Just Chamber posted:

my understanding is that scav aim operates based on what they can see. if they see your full body, they tend to go for center mass. if you are poking just your head out, they will snap off your head. I've had success going out into the open to take on scavs after I break line of sight.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

Ixtlilton posted:

peacekeeper 3 is really really good for the midgame, would recommend running safes for your flash drives if you don't have them.

also slumpy your setup is good but I would recommend the 6b3tm over the uley because material matters a lot in this game both for armor durability and repairability and titan is much better than ceramic. If you have ragman 2 that is.

sorry guys i was running 6b3tm all along actually im just dumb :blush:

look at this kill i got on a streamer

https://clips.twitch.tv/BlightedBlitheAlligatorRuleFive

there was actually almost an 5-8 minute leading time where I knew he was down there and all I could do was freak him out by yelling and busting windows.

https://twitch.tv/videos/878033992

(1:13:00 onward)

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
The end of this video is the best part. It's worth watching if you haven't. It's the epitome of streamer.

If you don't want to watch, dude takes a chug from a 2-liter of Coca Cola right after dying.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
I always visit streamers I kill when I can and usually they're very salty, he was a real good sport

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea he was. I usually do the opposite and visit streamers that kill me to see how much they make fun of me. I also wonder how many people try and visit TwitchTVTTV when they see it on their feed.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

ShowTime posted:

The end of this video is the best part. It's worth watching if you haven't. It's the epitome of streamer.

If you don't want to watch, dude takes a chug from a 2-liter of Coca Cola right after dying.

holy poo poo its comically big lmao. I was prepared for it and still laughed out loud.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Ice Fist posted:

I get it, we're talking about basically losing the scav roulette and when a scav decides to head/eyes you with a toz when you walk around a corner there's not much you can do. These are just my general anti-scav/scav survival tips.

The biggest thing that helped me was ditching the helmet and wearing shattered face masks. It prevents all of the lucky headshots from shotguns and doesn't cost much. You will still die to lucky AK headshots but you avoid all of the really rage inducing deaths.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Sultan Tarquin posted:

ACP isn't better than AP 6.3

AP sure is, it has higher pen, armor damage and base damage (and 1shots limbs). It's also cheaper

Mae fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 18, 2021

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
One night of quick customs runs usually results in a few mill rubles and a few pmc kills so I chose to mod out my PP-19 that I've been using, its super nice to run and with 60 ergo I've never had to point shoot (though I never had to do it even without the extra ergo).

It's not super expensive but I like having the silencer on it so I'm not drawing more attention to myself in crackhouse when I shoot whoever ends up following me.

Moded it in a way that makes it look cool and isn't a big deal at all if I lose it.

Think my total kit costs like 150k or so? a 'bad' run usually nets me around 200k but I've hit a mil doing this.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I'm having the hardest time getting good at shooting in this, every firefight leads me to die in a headshot in .1 seconds. On the rare occasion I feel like I'm aiming and them and fire my bullets don't seem to connect, I hear a bunch about desync but have no idea on how to test that.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

I'm having the hardest time getting good at shooting in this, every firefight leads me to die in a headshot in .1 seconds. On the rare occasion I feel like I'm aiming and them and fire my bullets don't seem to connect, I hear a bunch about desync but have no idea on how to test that.

in my experience desync is usually apparent when the top right hand corner has your ping on display, good connections typically wont show anything. You also may wanna make sure you're only connecting to tarkov servers that are close to you geographically (in the tarkov launcher)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
youre probably just missing. guns kick up a huge amount early and then settle back down so normal fps firing logic of firing bursts causes you to keep firing the most inaccurate part of your guns pattern, you want to either single tap or commit to full auto. early on in fire fights dont try moving and shooting, stand or crouch and fire, then reposition and fire again. try taking a loadout into an offline raid and find a nice spot with a wall to shoot at, and try firing single taps/burst/auto and while standing/crouched/strafing and at a few different ranges to get a better idea of how that specific gun is behaving when you fire it, will give you more information about how the gun controls. other option is building the firing range ofc.

also depends on what guns youre trying to use, different people find different guns and iron sights better or worse.

only ever had desync issues rarely before and this wipe i havnt had any at all personally, i think its very much a thing that is/was brought up more than it actually happened for people to excuse bad play so i wouldnt put too much stock into it being that.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Getting used to the different gun's iron sights is something to note as well. Go into offline mode and practice against some scavs.

But desync is a thing that happens, but (usually) not enough to make note of it. But desync/hit registration is a reason why I am taking a break from the game.

I unloaded 2 M4 clips into a scavs chest point blank and he managed to kill me after breaking my armor. I can count on one hand the number of times that has happened to me, but it was a breaking point that I should take a break till they add more stuff. I've been playing for awhile now, don't want to get pissed/frustrated at the game still fairly early in it's life cycle (especially a game I enjoy).

Slumpy posted:

sorry guys i was running 6b3tm all along actually im just dumb :blush:

look at this kill i got on a streamer

https://clips.twitch.tv/BlightedBlitheAlligatorRuleFive

there was actually almost an 5-8 minute leading time where I knew he was down there and all I could do was freak him out by yelling and busting windows.

https://twitch.tv/videos/878033992

(1:13:00 onward)

This made me happy because he knew he hosed up as opposed to the "omfg what a cheater". Have not watched his poo poo, but he seems like a sensible streamer :discourse:.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

Stux posted:

youre probably just missing. guns kick up a huge amount early and then settle back down so normal fps firing logic of firing bursts causes you to keep firing the most inaccurate part of your guns pattern, you want to either single tap or commit to full auto. early on in fire fights dont try moving and shooting, stand or crouch and fire, then reposition and fire again. try taking a loadout into an offline raid and find a nice spot with a wall to shoot at, and try firing single taps/burst/auto and while standing/crouched/strafing and at a few different ranges to get a better idea of how that specific gun is behaving when you fire it, will give you more information about how the gun controls. other option is building the firing range ofc.

also depends on what guns youre trying to use, different people find different guns and iron sights better or worse.

only ever had desync issues rarely before and this wipe i havnt had any at all personally, i think its very much a thing that is/was brought up more than it actually happened for people to excuse bad play so i wouldnt put too much stock into it being that.

The only times I ever think about netcode issues (or "desync" as people tend to call anything related to network issues in this game) are when it seems like I'm getting shot around corners. You know what I mean - you're strafing in an engagement and it looks on your screen as if you've crossed the threshold of the wall in front of you but you get head-eyes'd anyway by the dude you're engaging. Logically I know that dude shot me normally on his screen but it can be hard to accept that maybe, according to the server, you're really walking a step or two behind where it looks on your own screen.

It's not a big deal and it doesn't happen too often, can just be a bit frustrating in the moment when it happens. That's just tarkov baby

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
i must just be lucky then cos ive only had that a handful of times, and none this wipe. but im on euro servers w a good connection, idk if that makes a difference.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The Clap posted:

The only times I ever think about netcode issues (or "desync" as people tend to call anything related to network issues in this game) are when it seems like I'm getting shot around corners. You know what I mean - you're strafing in an engagement and it looks on your screen as if you've crossed the threshold of the wall in front of you but you get head-eyes'd anyway by the dude you're engaging. Logically I know that dude shot me normally on his screen but it can be hard to accept that maybe, according to the server, you're really walking a step or two behind where it looks on your own screen.

That's "peakers advantage" but EFT has the absolute worse netcode out of any modern FPS. I suspect much of this will be fixed in the next Unity Engine but now the developers are stating 12.9 with Streets won't come until this summer.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
its not even as bad as like, pubg hitreg lol and cod has had "get killed around corners" for over a decade its just not called desync there. again maybe im just getting insanely lucky or im low ping enough to avoid the worst of it or something

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

Stux posted:

its not even as bad as like, pubg hitreg lol and cod has had "get killed around corners" for over a decade its just not called desync there. again maybe im just getting insanely lucky or im low ping enough to avoid the worst of it or something

I totally agree and I think this game's performance issues have been majorly, MAJORLY ironed out over the last year or so. When I started playing this game those gamebreaking stutters were just commonly accepted as something that is a part of the game. I was just trying to point out the one remaining netcode-related thing that I've seen recently. It's really not that big of a deal because honestly when it happens I could have simply... played that engagement any other way.

and EFT definitely doesn't have the worst netcode of modern shooters lol. When you factor in the gunplay and all of the complicated poo poo that is going on with the player vs player mechanics in this game it's frankly a wonder that it runs as well as it does. A testament to this I think is the fact that players like Lvndmark and Quattro can get away with playing the game like it's Call of Duty the way that they do - if the game was as broken as people say then that playstyle would fall apart.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Having dudes in sniper mountain every round on Woods just isn’t a whole lot of fun. Every single round recently, and it’s hard to plink at their heads.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

Having dudes in sniper mountain every round on Woods just isn’t a whole lot of fun. Every single round recently, and it’s hard to plink at their heads.

Yea, you kind of got to get there first or push them. I happened to spawn there and took out my first 3-man squad today. They all had sniper rifles and food/water to last.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

are there any good intro / beginner guide videos to recommend ?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Mae posted:

AP sure is, it has higher pen, armor damage and base damage (and 1shots limbs). It's also cheaper

I don't know if the different regions have different flea markets but on EU .45 AP is almost triple the price of ap 6.3.

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009
Having not played a while, trying to do night woods to get my scav kills ended with my ear drums being blown out by land mines as I wandered lost in the dark.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Qmass posted:

are there any good intro / beginner guide videos to recommend ?

depends on your tolerance for streamer voice, but Pestily has a really solid series for beginners. He starts a fresh account and plays through the early quests, explaining his thought process. He's a lot more chill in these then when he does standard streams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3TiTbuJtZo

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Famethrowa posted:

depends on your tolerance for streamer voice, but Pestily has a really solid series for beginners. He starts a fresh account and plays through the early quests, explaining his thought process. He's a lot more chill in these then when he does standard streams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3TiTbuJtZo

I'd definitely watch the Pestily videos. I've been enjoying his Raid series. Yesterday he did a video just on money runs on Interchange that was pretty cool. It was all stuff i'd seen before but I still enjoyed it.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Lucca Blight posted:

Having not played a while, trying to do night woods to get my scav kills ended with my ear drums being blown out by land mines as I wandered lost in the dark.

I recently did a Scav run in the middle of the night and almost had a heart attack when the mine went off. I limped my way trying to find the exit I was looking for in the opposite direction, where I was shot by a “sniper” for going out of bounds.

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I recently did a Scav run in the middle of the night and almost had a heart attack when the mine went off. I limped my way trying to find the exit I was looking for in the opposite direction, where I was shot by a “sniper” for going out of bounds.

Looking at a map, now I can see how doing something similar led me into another mine field/heart attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Tarkov is by and large a horror game.