freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Horizon Burning posted:

extremely vapid take

No more than hers

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Stuporstar posted:

This is wise
Third one is even worse

Edit: I probably should have known better tbh. I mean, I expected after the end of book one with the rape of Nanking and magical Hiroshima to go uphill not downhill? Silly me to imagine three books of non-stop war might lead to something worth it!

I follow Kuang on twitter and after the third book (which I haven't had time to read yet) there were a ton of retweets from everyone traumatized by reading it.

mllaneza

Stuporstar posted:

I’ve only read The Lady Astronaut and I’m still on the fence about getting the rest so I’m reading them from the library instead. Again, probably only worth it if you’re completing the series

The Relentless Moon is the best of the series so far. If you've only read the first book, the second escalates beautifully and does so much more cool space stuff. Then the third comes along, changes POV characters, and gets really intense. It gets better as it goes along, so if you liked the first book, the second and third should really work for you.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

General Battuta posted:

I learned a lot of good prose skills from fanfiction.

That said I think they are not as good for teaching structural skills.

If only we could set the discourse gauge to somewhere in the middle.

Grr! Centrist!

Hey everybody - this guy hates the poor!!

Actually I'll just harp on a point someone made last page - that it's hard to find good fanfic even when you have a list of good recommendations of the correct character pairing.

I remember being younger, reading books and it was an amazing voyage of discovery, and you didn't know who would fall in love with who or what would happen.

Then it feels like we all consumed so much fiction that it's easier and easier to guess, and I wish I could go back to not knowing.

And now, finally, there's no surprise at all. It just gets written up front on the fanfic search tool - Joe x Bill, friends to lovers. No surprise, no craft, it's just fuckin pick n mix.

And as got pointed out, now it even seeps into mainstream marketing - Gideon being explicitly marketed as enemies to lovers, which I would be furious to have read beforehand even though it's fairly predictable

I want to be told a story, not decide the story I want to read and have it delivered to me.

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 18, 2021

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
fanfiction is largely awful and it owns and I would much rather live in a world with it than without it

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

Marshal Radisic posted:

It's a lot easier to see the connection if you look at his historical fiction. I'd personally recommend The Walled Orchard duology (Goatsong, The Walled Orchard). They're the memoirs of an Athenian comic playwright that focus on his experiences in the Peloponnesian War and the collapse of Athens. There's less in the way of violence than in the books he wrote under the Parker name (well, save for the depiction of the Syracuse campaign in the second book), but that rueful humor in the face of human folly is still there.

I've actually added the Walled Orchard to my to-read list based on (I think) your recommendation to somebody earlier in this thread. Otherwise I'd have ignored it because the Tom Holt books I've read were not very good. Annoyingly, I promised my partner I wouldn't be buying new books this year, so I doubt I'll be reading it before next Jan. Doesn't seem to be available on the library network either.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

And as got pointed out, now it even seeps into mainstream marketing - Gideon being explicitly marketed as enemies to lovers, which I would be furious to have read beforehand even though it's fairly predictable

I never thought they were enemies at any point at all, they acted more like sisters. When did the second bit happen?

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

TheAardvark posted:

Are there any other books or series with habitats similar to the Orbitals from The Culture? I like the idea of massive million km stations, and loved the one book where the girl was designing continents for fun on one.

Loads from ringworld and it's fanfic twin strata (Niven and Terry Pratchett respectively )

One of many all time favourite books happens to be about stuff in space habitats Schizmatrix Plus by Bruce sterling.

Look out for the phrases Dyson Sphere, Ringworld or big dumb object and here's a little bit from Tor https://www.tor.com/2020/07/03/a-brief-history-of-the-megastructure-in-science-fiction/comment-page-1/

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Strategic Tea posted:

And as got pointed out, now it even seeps into mainstream marketing - Gideon being explicitly marketed as enemies to lovers, which I would be furious to have read beforehand even though it's fairly predictable

I've seen people (is it actually somewhere in the official marketing? because lol if so) call Gideon that which I always thought was extremely bizarre. I never found the relationship development between Harrow and Gideon to be romantic really at all. Maybe you could make that argument for a totally different set of characters in Harrow the Ninth but even that seems a bit iffy to me given what you learn about Harrow's whole deal in that one. I dunno, maybe once Alecto comes out it'll prove my assumptions wrong and it was actually an extremely slow burn enemies-to-lovers the whole time (I doubt it though).

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

A Proper Uppercut posted:

So I'm like halfway through Kings of the Wyld, and I maye just have to stop, which I almost never do. I am listening on audiobook so I guess that might color my opinion of it.

It feels like a bad PG-13 version of Abercrombie. The humor hits with a thud and the world building kinda stinks. It's annoying because I can almost see a good story in there.

Also kind of a coincidence but I started KJ Parkers The Company, which seems like a much better "getting the band back together" story, at least so far.

Quoting myself here because I forgot to mention, there is a "the cake is a lie" joke. In a novel released in 2017. The more I think about this stupid book the more frustrated I get.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Interweb jokes, in my fantasy novel? Get out.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
9harrow spoilers: “It is a drawing of the letter S,” said the deep, solemn voice from over her shoulder, and she realized she had stopped midstride. “The letter in question is constructed from six short marks stacked vertically three by three. There are two triangles on the top and bottom, which, along with some diagonal strokes, form a calligraphic S.”

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I'm probably fumbling my fanfic tags there. Honestly everyone is so unhinged and obsessed with death, even the explicitly romantic narration in Harrow immediately detours into anatomical skeleton analysis. The beautiful skeleton's weird flesh suit is basically an afterthought :skeltal:

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
I didn't mind the silly internet jokes in Gideon/Harrow. Sure it has stupid meme references (many of which I'm sure I missed), but it also references molesworth out of nowhere that made me giggle.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Commander Wake me up inside

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

mllaneza posted:

The Relentless Moon is the best of the series so far. If you've only read the first book, the second escalates beautifully and does so much more cool space stuff. Then the third comes along, changes POV characters, and gets really intense. It gets better as it goes along, so if you liked the first book, the second and third should really work for you.

Thanks! I’ll get to read them both in less than a month according to my hold list. Now I’m even more looking forward to it

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Stuporstar posted:

Not sure at all about Empress of Salt and Fortune, when it’s described as a “gut punch,” after getting burned (it’s about fire magic lol) reading the Poppy War

Read this in November, and liked it. It's short. An old woman tells of her time as a serving girl to the titular empress. It's a series of stories from her life, with interludes hinting to the historian recording it that more was going on. Primarily, it's about a backwoods princess trying to seize some agency in a very unfriendly kingdom. Also women's stories and relationships. It's good. There are some emotional moments, sure, at least one depressing bit, but it's not grimdark. I'd say it's very well told story, and I'm looking forward to reading whatever Vo write next.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

And as got pointed out, now it even seeps into mainstream marketing - Gideon being explicitly marketed as enemies to lovers, which I would be furious to have read beforehand even though it's fairly predictable

I want to be told a story, not decide the story I want to read and have it delivered to me.

I'm most of the way through Harrow right now and I don't think there's romance between the two. Gideon says Harrow was always in love with the corpse in the locked tomb. The only marketing I saw was just "lesbian necromancers in space".

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

branedotorg posted:

Loads from ringworld and it's fanfic twin strata (Niven and Terry Pratchett respectively )

One of many all time favourite books happens to be about stuff in space habitats Schizmatrix Plus by Bruce sterling.

Look out for the phrases Dyson Sphere, Ringworld or big dumb object and here's a little bit from Tor https://www.tor.com/2020/07/03/a-brief-history-of-the-megastructure-in-science-fiction/comment-page-1/

I like that Nicoll mentioned The World Is Round, which is mostly forgotten these days. It's not a great book by any means but it's a solid entry in the Big Dumb Object canon with some interesting twists.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Ben Nevis posted:

Read this in November, and liked it. It's short. An old woman tells of her time as a serving girl to the titular empress. It's a series of stories from her life, with interludes hinting to the historian recording it that more was going on. Primarily, it's about a backwoods princess trying to seize some agency in a very unfriendly kingdom. Also women's stories and relationships. It's good. There are some emotional moments, sure, at least one depressing bit, but it's not grimdark. I'd say it's very well told story, and I'm looking forward to reading whatever Vo write next.

That sounds way more interesting than the way it was pitched. Guess I’ll put that on my hold list too. Thanks!

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Ccs posted:

I'm most of the way through Harrow right now and I don't think there's romance between the two. Gideon says Harrow was always in love with the corpse in the locked tomb. The only marketing I saw was just "lesbian necromancers in space".

I don't have a horse in this race but fandom has created ships based on much, much less. I don't blame marketing for running with it to get more eyes on the books.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Ccs posted:

I'm most of the way through Harrow right now and I don't think there's romance between the two. Gideon says Harrow was always in love with the corpse in the locked tomb. The only marketing I saw was just "lesbian necromancers in space".

I was kind of the opposite in that I thought the Body was Gideon's undigested soul still knockng around, and that since she is lobotomised Harrow is censoring her own visions.

I got this from her 'I am insane' line in the alternative Canaan, which is introduced in the same breath as the spooky notes. I thought the implication was that both the notes and the insanity were Harrow's lobotomy-edit and not her real memories.

Also, doesn't the Body have brilliant yellow eyes at one point? Although ohhh those were God's too :doh:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Hobnob posted:

I didn't mind the silly internet jokes in Gideon/Harrow. Sure it has stupid meme references (many of which I'm sure I missed), but it also references molesworth out of nowhere that made me giggle.

There's a no-bullshit Homestar Runner joke at one point.

The Emperor and his cronies are clearly a bunch of nerds from around our time.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

fritz posted:

I remember this drama from the time, and also how many years later the fan MZB was talking about came forward and made a very plausible claim that the true story was MZB was trying to rip her off instead.

On investigation the best I can summarize is : "it's complicated". The Darkover community was large and MZB had an entire apparatus of helpers and assistants.

Fanlore says:

fanlore posted:

https://fanlore.org/wiki/Marion_Zimmer_Bradley_Fanfiction_Controversy#Lasting_Consequences:_MZB_Fanfiction_Today
It was also common practice, and an expected one, for Darkover fans to send copies of their fic to Bradley. Bradley had read Masks, and "then wrote a response to Lamb, commenting on what she thought worked and what didn’t, and closed saying she had enjoyed the book." [43]. Sometime before September 1992, [44] Bradley offered Lamb a payment of $500 and acknowledgment in exchange for the use of Lamb's material in Bradley's work-in-progress. Lamb tried to negotiate different terms, but the parties were unable to reach an agreement.

Just on general principles I'm more inclined to believe Jean Lamb's (the fanfic person) side of things, a lot of the things MZB's side were saying didn't quite add up.

But on specific principles, considering the kind of person MZB was, I'm 100% sure she was in the wrong.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm surprised their publishers didn't step in and nip that in the bud before it got that far.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Strategic Tea posted:

I was kind of the opposite in that I thought the Body was Gideon's undigested soul still knockng around, and that since she is lobotomised Harrow is censoring her own visions.
:

I thought that too at the start but at some point the contradictions kept adding up and I figured there was no way it could have been Gideon, but didn't know who it was until later

Gotta re-read these at some point, don't know if I can wait until just before Alecto 9th.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Groke posted:

There's a no-bullshit Homestar Runner joke at one point.

The Emperor and his cronies are clearly a bunch of nerds from around our time.

Oh, yeah, God is very clearly a Millennial.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

fritz posted:

I thought that too at the start but at some point the contradictions kept adding up and I figured there was no way it could have been Gideon, but didn't know who it was until later

Gotta re-read these at some point, don't know if I can wait until just before Alecto 9th.

I heartily recommend the Audiobook read by Moira Quirk.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 18, 2021

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

branedotorg posted:

Loads from ringworld and it's fanfic twin strata (Niven and Terry Pratchett respectively )

One of many all time favourite books happens to be about stuff in space habitats Schizmatrix Plus by Bruce sterling.

Look out for the phrases Dyson Sphere, Ringworld or big dumb object and here's a little bit from Tor https://www.tor.com/2020/07/03/a-brief-history-of-the-megastructure-in-science-fiction/comment-page-1/

I'll take a look at Schizmatrix Plus, thanks! I'm reading Rendezvous with Rama right now, and I've read a lot of other Big Dumb Object stories, but not a lot of Big Smart Object We Built And Are Living On stories.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
for a megastructure book i would recommend a Alastair Reynolds book but telling the title is kind of a spoiler since it isn't immediately obvious that's what the book is about.

...Pushing Ice...

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

fritz posted:

On investigation the best I can summarize is : "it's complicated". The Darkover community was large and MZB had an entire apparatus of helpers and assistants.

Fanlore says:

Just on general principles I'm more inclined to believe Jean Lamb's (the fanfic person) side of things, a lot of the things MZB's side were saying didn't quite add up.

But on specific principles, considering the kind of person MZB was, I'm 100% sure she was in the wrong.

muscles like this! posted:

I'm surprised their publishers didn't step in and nip that in the bud before it got that far.

Since 1985 in the SFL Archives, almost every mention of MZB has been about her extremely controlling behavior, especially at public events. Once the SFWA White Knight chimed in to take the side of MZB, I knew that MZB's version of how things went down was 130% in the wrong.

Here is the initial post from SFL Archives Vol 18a that kicked off the 1993 debate about fan-fiction & original author rights.

Date: 18 Jan 93 07:10:17 GMT
From: ctk@well.sf.ca.us (Cassandra T. Kamuchey)
Subject: Fan Fiction--Copyright Infringement? (LONG)

EXTREMELY LONG POST ALERT!

[As many of you are certainly aware, the area of fan fiction (or fanfic)
has always been legally questionable in the copyright realm. Most of us,
at one point in our lives, have written terrible short stories involving
Capt. Kirk or our favorite novel hero (or heroine). In fact, Star Trek
creator Gene Roddenberry often credited fanfic writers with sustaining the
popularity of the series during the ten-year hiatus of the 1970s. Today,
Usenet continues to assist fanfic writers in sharing and disseminating
their work.

Recently, Mercedes Lackey, along with other science fiction authors,
took steps to protect her copyright interests by focusing on fan generated
fiction. The following was published in Lackey's official fanzine, "Queen's
Own" ("QO"), written by Lackey and her husband and has been reprinted with
the author's permission. I have copied the text as exactly as possible,
including the capitalizations that appear; I am, however, not professing to
be a perfect (or even adequate) typist. Also, I have omitted some of the
more repetitive text as it is over two pages long (as I warned you, this is
a long post).

I have posted this because I would like to hear the general consensus on
fanfic/licensing rights, etc.]

Mercedes Lackey writes:

"First of all, you may not be aware of it, but I am rare in permitting
people to write fanfic based on my work. Many authors and agents feel it
confuses copyrights enough that they do not permit it at all. [&]...

"Having established that I am a Good Guy for letting you play in my
sandbox, following the footsteps of my mentor Marion Zimmer Bradley, let me
continue. Some folks have been horribly incensed because I asked,
politely, that you not post Valdemar fanfic over in Prodigy, because that
service lists itself as a PUBLISHING SERVICE and not an information
service, and it is a FOR PROFIT entity. This was to protect YOU. If my
agent or publisher decided that this fanfic was in violation of my
copyrights, they could very easily sue YOU, your parents if you are a
minor, your school if you were using a school machine ... at the very least
you would be required, after paying several thousand dollars in legal
costs, to pay several more thousand dollars in apology-ads in major
booksellers publications, just like that fanzine publisher. I doubt that
many of you have that kind of money to throw away; I certainly don't. And
I'm afraid that there would be nothing I could do to call off my agent; in
areas where my rights---and HIS future income---are concerned, HE has every
right to vigorously protect those rights. Be warned, this Has already
happened TO ONE FAN WRITER AND PUBLISHER.

"It becomes more confused because Prodigy is an electronic service and
this laps over into the area of "electronic rights" about which there is a
great deal of confusion. Because of the confusion, my agent prefers to err
in the direction of being conservative and protectionist. This also goes
for "MUCKS" or "MUSH"s. He is flatly NOT PERMITTING any electronic
role-playing of any kind, whether it is on a not-for-profit service or for-
profit service. So there it is--NO VALDEMAR MUCKS ... If he finds out, and
he will eventually, you will get first a "cease and desist" letter from the
agency's legal department--and so will the net you are on. The Sysops will
not be happy with you about this. If you continue, you will probably be
slapped with a lawsuit. If you are a minor, you will probably see your
college fund go down the drain. If you are not, paying the out-of-court
legal costs alone will set you back several thousand dollars. This is
something I have no power over; we are not only talking about MY income, we
are talking about my AGENT's income, and he is not going to tolerate anyone
cutting into it. With the advent of Electronic Arts books, we now have a
real possibility of commercial computer games ... My agent cannot afford to
let one person get in the way of that.

"To add to the confusion, the "Bookman" is looking more and more likely
all the time ... Now here is where it cuts REAL near the bone for me. If
one of you, in all innocence, messed up my electronic rights, I could
completely be shut out of the books-on-disc market for all current series.
And, ten, twenty, or thirty years down the road, when all books are coming
out on disc, you will have not only ruined my income, you will have
prevented others from experiencing the same pleasure you had in discovering
my work. Now, I can write anything; I could turn around and write romances
if I had to. But it would be a lot of hardship on me--and it would mean NO
MORE VALDEMAR BOOKS. Ever. [&]...

"So I am going to require a release from those of you who wish to
participate in the electronic fiction CATs, and I am not sure yet what to
do about paper fanfic. [QO reported later that: "The decision has been made
that you MUST sign a release form for any work created in Misty's worlds
that you intend to share with others ... You need a release form for EVERY
story set in Misty's universe that you write..."]. [&]....

"I don't have to let you in my world. I could be like Yarbro, and
forbid it entirely. I don't want to deprive you of the kind of pleasure I
got from writing Darkover and other fanfic. I like having you in my
sandbox. All I am asking for is a little courtesy and consideration.

This piece may be downloaded <or photocopied> and posted to any other
systems you choose, with my permission." --Mercedes Lackey.

[Here are key excerpts from the release which Lackey is asking all
fanfic writers to sign and send to her whenever they compose fiction,
poetry etc. set in her universe].

"5. I [fanfic writer] acknowledge that you [Lackey] may use, without
any obligation to me and without any payment to me, any of said material
which is not protectable as literary property, or which is in the public
domain...[ as unprotected material]...I also acknowledge that I have no
claim on or interest in any copyrighted material of yours upon which I have
based my work.

"6. If the material submitted by me pursuant to this release is not
unprotected material and if it was neither created by you nor obtained from
an independent source, and if you personally accept it for publication in
an anthology at some later date, you will ... pay or cause to be paid to me
a sum that is not less than a pro rata share (based on the comparative
length of the material to the rest of the volume) of 50% of any work or
royalties received from the publisher for said work for said specific
anthology, except in the case of nonprofessional publication. In return
... I agree to assign all rights, including such copyright interests as I
may have in the said work, to you..."

------------------------------

THE SFWA White Knight takes
------------------------------
Date: 19 Jan 93 16:00:03 GMT
From: chuq@apple.com (Crow's Friend Timmy)
Subject: Re: Fan Fiction--Copyright Infringement? (LONG)

MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu (Mark 'Mark' Sachs) writes:
>There ought to be a way of getting a legal ruling; something on the order
>of, derivative works created by third parties shall have no effect
>whatsoever on the copyright rights of the author.

There ARE many many legal rulings already, and they all note that it DOES
affect the author. You'd need to rewrite the Berne convention and get all
of the signatories to fix this.

Chuq Von Rospach
chuq@apple.com
------------------------------
------------------------------
Date: 9 Feb 93 23:55:29 GMT
From: chuq@apple.com (Chuq Von Rospach)
Subject: Re: Marion Zimmer Bradley

KitchenRN@SSD0.LAAFB.AF.MIL writes:
>I don't understand why MZB said this could make her a misanthrope.

Because of one bad apple, she's no longer able to do what she wants. So she
feels badly about having to protect herself from the bad apples by tossing
out all the good apples as well.

>From what I read here, the fan didn't do anything wrong,

That's because what you read didn't include the demand for co-authorship on
MZB's book, nor did it mention the threatened lawsuit against Marion, or
some of the other, nastier stuff.

>Couldn't she just work out a deal with the fan so that the fan would sign
>an agreement not to sue, or something, so that the book could be
>published?

She tried. The fan, shall we say, was uncooperative.

Chuq Von Rospach
chuq@apple.com
------------------------------

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Cardiac posted:

One funny thing with scientific articles is that when you write one you try to make a story out of your data instead just stating the experimental results.

That depends a lot on the discipline, and there are intra-discipline fights over this kind of stuff.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I don't know how you can read Gideon and not think the characters are falling for each other under about forty layers of repression. Maybe it's my lesbian brain, but that subtext is very obvious to me.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

New Super Metis posted:

I don't know how you can read Gideon and not think the characters are falling for each other under about forty layers of repression. Maybe it's my lesbian brain, but that subtext is very obvious to me.

but 'romantic under 40 layers of repression' is textually indistinguishable from 'learning to be family/platonic love' so its just guessing based on what people are predisposed to think

e: in this specific book, i mean, not in general! im saying, there's nothing explicitly or implicitly romantic in gideon the ninth (or harrow, and harrow also has an explicitly denunciation of romance iirc)

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 19, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

awesmoe posted:

but 'romantic under 40 layers of repression' is textually indistinguishable from 'learning to be family/platonic love' so its just guessing based on what people are predisposed to think

:thunk:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

awesmoe posted:

but 'romantic under 40 layers of repression' is textually indistinguishable from 'learning to be family/platonic love' so its just guessing based on what people are predisposed to think

e: in this specific book, i mean, not in general! im saying, there's nothing explicitly or implicitly romantic in gideon the ninth (or harrow, and harrow also has an explicitly denunciation of romance iirc)

so you're saying it is the lesbian brain?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Collateral posted:

I heartily recommend the Audiobook read by Moira Quirk.

Yeah.

Linking 'cause Harrow spoilers I guess -- nothing big, just a fun snippet.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

When I read Gideon I thought they were supposed to be romantic, 90% into Harrow I thought they weren’t, after finishing Harrow I’m now unsure.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

New Super Metis posted:

so you're saying it is the lesbian brain?
your lesbian brain is probably reading it more accurately than my straight brain but I just dont read their relationship like that at the moment.
I wouldnt be crushed or betrayed or anything if it ended up romantic, but I think it would take a change from what they've got now. especially since gideon is alive(?) again and live girls aren't really harrow's type

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Danhenge posted:

That depends a lot on the discipline, and there are intra-discipline fights over this kind of stuff.

Well, it is academia so of course there are fights.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4