Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

I’m going to be in Tampa by mid February. If there are any nearby fishing goons, I’d love to get a tour of what to expect. I’m from fly fishing country, so this is going to be totally new for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Speaking of Florida, I’m planning on coming down to the Pensacola area solo in a week or two to fish for a few days. My plans are flexible and evolving. If anyone is in the area and wants to wet a line, give me a shout.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
So my neighbor recently got me into fly fishing. He gave me a 8' 4wt Cabelas rod and I went and bought a Orvis Clearwater reel for it. After using that for a bit I went ahead and bought a 9' 5wt Orvis encounter setup. I have mostly been fishing at the llano river and the colorado just outside downtown Austin. Haven't caught anything that big but lots of small Guadalupe bass. Though I caught a couple of rainbow trout at the llano yesterday since they have just stocked it.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Sweet. Fly fishing is so much fun. Consider going lighter like a 2 or 3 for those fish so it gets even more exciting.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

King of Bees posted:

Sweet. Fly fishing is so much fun. Consider going lighter like a 2 or 3 for those fish so it gets even more exciting.

Yeah I'm still really learning how to cast so the heavier rod makes that easier. Especially with the wind that is often happening on the llano. Plus being able to cast further is helpful for me as well.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

Valt posted:

So my neighbor recently got me into fly fishing. He gave me a 8' 4wt Cabelas rod and I went and bought a Orvis Clearwater reel for it. After using that for a bit I went ahead and bought a 9' 5wt Orvis encounter setup. I have mostly been fishing at the llano river and the colorado just outside downtown Austin. Haven't caught anything that big but lots of small Guadalupe bass. Though I caught a couple of rainbow trout at the llano yesterday since they have just stocked it.

I want to catch a Guadalupe bass someday.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Valt posted:

Make the trip up to the nature reserve in oklahoma. The blue river place up in tishomingo. Its free , stocked well, and a beautiful place.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Valt posted:

Yeah I'm still really learning how to cast so the heavier rod makes that easier. Especially with the wind that is often happening on the llano. Plus being able to cast further is helpful for me as well.

Right on. My advice, not asked for.. but, is nail your roll cast with some streamers for hitting tons of territory quickly. Bass galore!

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
My neighbor caught a couple of trout out at the llano the other day! He told me he was using his 2wt rod, so I bet those were pretty rowdy on that setup.

Valt fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 16, 2021

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Well hopefully I uploaded this picture correctly. Here's a decent sized northern I got in Minneapolis today.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Mukulu posted:

Well hopefully I uploaded this picture correctly. Here's a decent sized northern I got in Minneapolis today.

Thats really cool! What kind of setup do you use for ice fishing? Living in texas and previously Indiana I know nothing at all about ice fishing.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
A pike that small in cold water would actually taste decent, too.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Mukulu posted:

Nice! Mind if I ask which lake?

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Valt posted:

Thats really cool! What kind of setup do you use for ice fishing? Living in texas and previously Indiana I know nothing at all about ice fishing.

Tip-ups. That's what that yellow thing is. It's a spool of line that's suspended underwater with live minnows. The spool is connected to a shaft and trap (trip?) bar that spins. You attach a flag with a spring (that orange thing in the bottom right) to the trap bar. When a fish takes the bait it starts to take line from the spool and when the spool starts to unravel it spins that trap bar which pops the flag up which alerts you. You then proceed to pull in line hand over hand. It's very, very fun.

crazypeltast52 posted:

Nice! Mind if I ask which lake?

I don't mind in the slightest. I was on Lake Harriet (very easy to get to). Go to the north beach and set up some tip-ups east of that fishing pier that's still in the lake.

Mukulu fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 16, 2021

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

A pike that small in cold water would actually taste decent, too.

My friend pickles them. I'm trying to find a lake with a bunch of smaller sized pike so I can try his recipe.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Mukulu posted:

Tip-ups. That's what that yellow thing is. It's a spool of line that's suspended underwater with live minnows. The spool is connected to a shaft and trap (trip?) bar that spins. You attach a flag with a spring (that orange thing in the bottom right) to the trap bar. When a fish takes the bait it starts to take line from the spool and when the spool starts to unravel it spins that trap bar which pops the flag up which alerts you. You then proceed to pull in line hand over hand. It's very, very fun.

I don't mind in the slightest. I was on Lake Harriet (very easy to get to). Go to the north beach and set up some tip-ups east of that fishing pier that's still in the lake.

Nice! I saw ice tents up on Nokomis last weekend, but I need work to stop getting in the way of my fishing weekends.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

First crappie and trout of the ice fishing season. Our ice is super weird right now, normally we'd have like 24 inches, I saw maybe 5. Trout was about 10". I was using these tungsten jigs for the crappie and they were tearing it up.

https://i.imgur.com/Q9CwAqC.mp4

My one, and only, St. Croix rod.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Yooper posted:

My one, and only, St. Croix rod.

Those are rookie numbers, you gotta pump that up

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

How good is the Favorite Fishing White Bird as a slow-action rod?

Thinking about snagging a couple while they’re on sale. All I have now are fast-action rods; I feel like a slow or moderate-slow rod could help me up my bass game.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

How good is the Favorite Fishing White Bird as a slow-action rod?

Thinking about snagging a couple while they’re on sale. All I have now are fast-action rods; I feel like a slow or moderate-slow rod could help me up my bass game.

Not a fan of the favorite stuff. Generally its overpriced and its pushed heavily by youtube celebs who themselves are doing shady stuff. For that price range I would probably pick lews ,abu garcia , or shimano. Generally shimano everything because the quality seems to be there at every price point.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Sickening posted:

Not a fan of the favorite stuff. Generally its overpriced and its pushed heavily by youtube celebs who themselves are doing shady stuff. For that price range I would probably pick lews ,abu garcia , or shimano. Generally shimano everything because the quality seems to be there at every price point.

None of the rods listed on any of these companies’ websites are slow-action. The closest any of them make is moderate. Which I guess tells me something about the usefulness of slower rods in general.

Also Lew’s and Shimano’s search functions suck hot swamp rear end.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I. M. Gei posted:

None of the rods listed on any of these companies’ websites are slow-action. The closest any of them make is moderate. Which I guess tells me something about the usefulness of slower rods in general.

Also Lew’s and Shimano’s search functions suck hot swamp rear end.
Dumb question, but what's the point of a slow-action spinning rod? Just go ultra-light if you're fishing for touch.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

crazypeltast52 posted:

Nice! I saw ice tents up on Nokomis last weekend, but I need work to stop getting in the way of my fishing weekends.

I know that problem.... too well. I've only fished Nokomis twice and I went in pretty blind. Smaller crappies but they're in there.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Dik Hz posted:

Dumb question, but what's the point of a slow-action spinning rod? Just go ultra-light if you're fishing for touch.

Slow action on a moderate to heavy freshwater spinning rod is an exercise in extreme frustration. I had a slow Daiwa as my primary rod for a long time, way too long, and missed so many hook sets because of it. Switching to a fast Ugly Stik was an overnight game changer for catfish, skipjack, and bass.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Fast rods are where it's at. My usual waters cap out at maybe 16-18 inch smallies anyway so you don't need much.
Ultralight makes even panfish feel like monsters, I think it's way more fun.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
You want the slower actions when you're fishing reaction baits. The rod will load up more and help prevent pulling the hooks outta the fishes mouth when they slam it while you're retrieving.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Picked up a Cot Tent for $10 that is in amazing shape, now I really need to figure out a place is NC that I can do a over night camp/ fishing trip. Not something I would be able to backpack in with but easily put on my boat and camp on the side of the lake.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Just put in my yearly order for all various jigs, plastics, and top water bullshit I use for stripers and got a reel upgrade. Dreaming of big fish my friends

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Time posted:

Just put in my yearly order for all various jigs, plastics, and top water bullshit I use for stripers and got a reel upgrade. Dreaming of big fish my friends

I primarily fish for striper in Texas and I bought way too much tackle this winter.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Ive blanked on the surf last three times ive gone. It went from slot trout, spanish macs, blues and whiting to nothing except an occasional dink whiting. I know its a long shot but if anyone is fishing east coast Fla surf and are on the fish id love to hear what youre doing. The fishing reports in Jax suck and are 95% guys in boats catching reds. There was a great fishing radio show on Fridays but its off the air as far as i can tell.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Time posted:

Remind me what jigs and plastics you like for stripers?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

gamera009 posted:

I’m going to be in Tampa by mid February. If there are any nearby fishing goons, I’d love to get a tour of what to expect. I’m from fly fishing country, so this is going to be totally new for me.

Been a while since I lived there, but this time of year was usually good for Spanish mackerel fishing on the skyway (the old one, it used to be a bridge but it collapsed when it got hit by a boat and then was turned into a fishing pier).

A 2000 or 3000 spinner with a foot or two of 50# mono (or wire, but some swear it scares the fish off) and a chrome got-cha plug. Really anything shiny they go for though - I've caught them on squid just by putting a shiny tin sinker near enough the hook to get their attention. You can also fish bait such as greenbacks, but try and get a long-shanked hook. They're fast, very active hunters so keep the bait moving near the surface.

The leader/long shank is because the fuckers have some serous teeth, so you'll want to have extra terminal tackle. Take that plus treble hooks into account if you're planning on catch and release.

That said, I have no idea if the skyway is open what with COVID.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Rythe posted:

Picked up a Cot Tent for $10 that is in amazing shape, now I really need to figure out a place is NC that I can do a over night camp/ fishing trip. Not something I would be able to backpack in with but easily put on my boat and camp on the side of the lake.
Lake James St park is nice. You can get way back in there to some boat-in camp sites.

https://northcarolinastateparks.reserveamerica.com/camping/lake-james-state-park/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NC&parkId=552855

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone have a canoe rod holder recommendation for trolling for walleye?

Not sure if you ever got answered bud (just found the thread and working my way through).
I just bought 2 rod holders today. 1 stealth qr with the rail mount to go on my thwart for the back paddler (this works for Souris River canoes, which use a 1 inch rail for thwarts ), and a Scotty baitcaster/spinner with the 440 mount which is specifically designed for gunnels. The standard clamp mount is not!

I ended up choosing these two after seeing them in heavy use by a couple canoe YouTube guys (canoe the north and lost lakes backcountry angling). Lots of footage of these in use for walleye, pike, smallies, and lake trout on those channels.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

I don’t recall. How many Tampa-centric (maybe?) goons want to meet up to fish?

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Going out to the llano tomorrow morning to hopefully catch some rainbows for lunch! Its supposed to be grey and windy which isn't super helpful. But Its nice out there anyways. I'm going to start with this fly which isn't really supposed to look like anything specific but the trout eat it anyways.

I also found out that my chest pack works as a pretty place to put my phone to record!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL568Y82d54

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Did some bank fishing this afternoon. Only rod I had ready was my finesse rod with 6 pound mono. I threw a red strike king with double gold willows on it and landed this guy. I lost 2 others. One of them was pulling my drag so much that I didnt know if I was ever gonna get him to shore. Dudes were destroying the reaction bite today

Syano fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 30, 2021

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

drat - I gotta wait til Saturday the 26th of June before I can even think about catching a bass :(

Oh well. The wait makes it worth it.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Hellp me goons, I have gone crazy.

I spent most my childhood being forced to fish by my dad and hated it. Catching fish was cool but being forced to sit in a boat for 3 hours when the bite was off was agony for an 8 year old.

Once I left the nest I stopped completely, but might go out with pops and my brother a couple times if we rented a cottage.. if the bite were on! I was right as a kid. Catching fish is good, fishing is bad.

Last summer I planned a canoe trip through some lakes that normally host American fly-ins. With covid we'd have them all to ourselves, so I decided to bring a fishing rod on a canoe trip for the first time.
It was loving awesome and I loved it. I caught 4 walleye over 24 inches the first night and tons of fat smallies. No surprise though, catching fish has always been fun.

Riding that high I started fishing some local waters, obviously without the level of success as pristine lakes in Northern Ontario in June... But it wasn't bad.. I went out, didn't catch fish, and didn't hate it?

Skip to this winter and I've gone nuts.. I asked my wife for a portable fish finder for Christmas, I'm planning out rod holders and bait stations for my canoe, I'm centering canoe trips around productive fishing spots, and now I'm googling loving dickspoons.
What has happened to me? Am I an old now? Fishing is bad.. and I love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Get back to us when your canoe turns into a john boat and your zooming around the lake.

I am taking my glitter rocket out to hit up the lakes in central texas where fish are just starting to spawn. poo poo is crazy.