Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Remember that guy that Free Soloed El Capitan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

I am trying to remember the one deep diving location that people keep throwing their lives away trying to get to the bottom- it's so deep that after top deep diving experts died there, the guy who went down to get their remains died, too (it was in National Geographic). Divers who lived describe it like mountaineering without oxygen- your thinking fuzzes up and is glacial and before you know it you're out of oxygen several hundred feet under water and your mind shuts down.

The Blue Hole in Egypt perhaps? https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/breannawilson/2018/12/11/what-its-like-to-dive-the-worlds-deadliest-dive-site/amp/

It's basically at just the right depth to a) look like a cool, easy, 'hey let's just swim under that arch' and b) kill your dumb rear end if you didn't bring proper equipmemt because you'll run out of air while in a tunnel

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Munin posted:

What's this about?

As has been said, the Polish climbers who thought up the sport of winter ascent, (since by the time they were ready to climb in the Himalayas, all the 8k peaks were already taken in the normal season), have now taken to the media to basically say:

“Gosh darned Sherpas on supplemental oxygen climbing K2, welp thats basically Ivan Drago x 10! Just not fair! Oh, one of them did it without O’s you say? First let’s make sure that he REALLY did it - and in any case, he had support from his oxygen doped up friends.”

Sherpas doped up on Oxygen is a quote btw.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I am trying to remember the one deep diving location that people keep throwing their lives away trying to get to the bottom- it's so deep that after top deep diving experts died there, the guy who went down to get their remains died, too (it was in National Geographic). Divers who lived describe it like mountaineering without oxygen- your thinking fuzzes up and is glacial and before you know it you're out of oxygen several hundred feet under water and your mind shuts down.

4 posts above you

Sunswipe posted:

That's exactly the sign I'd put outside the cave I kept my treasure in.

For further illustration of how loving insane divers can be, enjoy this story of an idiot throwing his life away in an attempt to raise the body of someone else who died when they thought it was a good idea to try diving to 900 feet underwater in a loving cave.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

Remember that guy that Free Soloed El Capitan

Yeah and he went to a brain doctor who was like "yeah your brain's all hosed up bro"

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
K2 strikes again...

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/16/us/sergi-mingote-spanish-climber-died-k2-trnd/index.html

quote:

Spanish mountaineer Sergi Mingote has died while climbing K2, the world's second highest summit, Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez announced Saturday.

"Sad death of Sergi Mingote at K2," Sanchez tweeted. "He wanted to continue making history by being part of the first expedition to crown this mountain in the middle of winter and a tragic accident has ended his life. A big hug for the loved ones of this great athlete."

K2, part of the Karakoram Range that straddles the Pakistan-China border, is the second highest mountain in the world at 8,611 meters (28,251 feet).

A post on Mingote's official Instagram account said: "Rest in peace Sergi. Today you start a new climb."

Just a day earlier, the mountaineer had shared a post announcing that he was on day 27 of his climb and had reached 7,000 meters.

Chhang Dawa Sherpa, a Nepalese mountaineer who is leading the K2 winter expedition, said on Instagram that Mingote "suddenly fell down."

"We [were] informed by unexpected movement on his GPS tracker and could see he made a big fall, members at the site quickly confirmed the accident, but couldn't do much to help him anymore," Sherpa said.

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > Everest/K2: "suddenly fell down"

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Colonel Cancer posted:

No Sherpas underwater :coolfish:

As global warming does it's catastrophic damage
it will also cause some poor tribe to be the first underwater version of sherpas. Probably the Sentinelese, they are tough little bastards.

200 years from now some rich astrobiotech douchebag will be climbing deep underwater cliffs while some rugged, ragged little Sentinelsherpa looks at his buddies who already made the climb 6 times before breakfast to set up the ubernano climbing ropes, smirking because they did it without pussy-rear end supplemental oxygen too.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 17, 2021

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

WhiteHowler posted:

He wanted to continue making history by being part of the first expedition to crown this mountain in the middle of winter

loving idiot

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
If anyone is actually interested in the history of cave diving, The Darkness Beckons is a fascinating and sort of terrifying book. The photos alone are absolutely bonkers.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Tumble posted:

As global warming does it's catastrophic damage
it will also cause some poor tribe to be the first underwater version of sherpas. Probably the Sentinelese, they are tough little bastards.

200 years from now some rich astrobiotech douchebag will be climbing deep underwater cliffs while some rugged, ragged little Sentinelsherpa looks at his buddies who already made the climb 6 times before breakfast to set up the ubernano climbing ropes, smirking because they did it without pussy-rear end supplemental oxygen too.

The Bajau are already genetically adapted for underwater similar to how the sherpas are genetically adapted to heights.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

gohuskies posted:

If anyone is actually interested in the history of cave diving, The Darkness Beckons is a fascinating and sort of terrifying book. The photos alone are absolutely bonkers.

Does it mention Musk and his fight against pedo divers?

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
https://www.outsideonline.com/1922711/raising-dead This is a good read about a cave where one guy died and they tried to get his body back.

E. Whoops beaten

Project M.A.M.I.L. fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 18, 2021

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Sunswipe posted:

That's exactly the sign I'd put outside the cave I kept my treasure in.

For further illustration of how loving insane divers can be, enjoy this story of an idiot throwing his life away in an attempt to raise the body of someone else who died when they thought it was a good idea to try diving to 900 feet underwater in a loving cave.

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

https://www.outsideonline.com/1922711/raising-dead This is a good read about a cave where one guy died and they tried to get his body back.

Guys, I hear there is a film about this cave were one guy died and they tried to get the body back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKnGN-5SIxM

I'd forgotten about that sad, pointlessly fatal tale.

I've already watched a really good documentary about it some time ago, which I can't find on youtube anymore (but it did take me to the above video so that is good) - and I seem to remember that since that one was made, a load of the people involved with and in it had subsequently died due to cave diving. I don't get cave diving, I find it even more horrifying than high altitude mountaineering tbqh.

And therefore, completely fascinating.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm sure I mentioned this in another thread but we went cave diving in cenotes dos ojos with a guy called sometihng like 'El Monstro' (I don't speak spanish, I didn't grow up in the States) and another couple. We were going on two dives. We did the 'hard' dive first, and someone from the other couple got a leak in her air hose so I had to grab Monstro's fin to get his attention and he shared his spare respirator with her and the rest of the dive was fine. We did the next dive too, and the other couple didn't tip Monstro but we did, because we're not loving assholes. They were mad about the bad equipment, which he rented from a shop.

The scariest part was being underwater, and also in a cave, so you couldn't surface. I took a photo of 'the sign' which I posted in another thread, but it's identical to the one posted here earlier. We basically went from one cave with an easy in/out entrance (people were snorkeling there too) through an underwater passage to another cavern full of bats, that used to have a ladder going to the surface but it was rusted away (this was where we surfaced next, after the air problems), and then I can't remember the rest. We saw the sign on the first dive. Cave diving is actually pretty boring because it's all dark and there are no cool fish to see there or anything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sistema_Dos_Ojos

RobotCoupeDetat
Nov 3, 2020

Rondette posted:

Guys, I hear there is a film about this cave were one guy died and they tried to get the body back

I've already watched a really good documentary about it some time ago, which I can't find on youtube anymore (but it did take me to the above video so that is good) - and I seem to remember that since that one was made, a load of the people involved with and in it had subsequently died due to cave diving. I don't get cave diving, I find it even more horrifying than high altitude mountaineering tbqh.

I don't do high altitude mountaineering, though I've had classes for it and have done a bit of alpine rock climbing, and cave diving is just utterly bonkers to me. My friend's dad was super into it at the beginning of the sport, did dives with Sheck Exley and that whole crew, and his stories were absolutely hair-raising. This was BITD when they were experimenting with their own gas blends and making their own equipment and poo poo. gently caress that noise. His house is full of cool salvage from wrecks, though.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

that kind of cave diving is all about the moment that you get back alive. all the rest is just justifications to set up the sequence where you emerge from the water and get that massive rush

any talk of exploration or pushing human limits is a combination of bullshit and self delusion from the outdoor adventurer equivalent of the people injecting research chemicals from a laboratory in kazakhstan because speedballs are too boring for them

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

kalleth posted:

Basic standard open water tourist diving is _amazing_, mostly completely safe (unless you're an idiot and do stuff you're not trained for), and you can always nope out of there and go up to the place where you can breathe if something goes wrong. My favourite holiday-in-the-sun activity ;D

Cave diving (which will just kill you for any reason whatsoever) & rebreather diving (where equipment failure will literally kill you almost instantly without you knowing you are dying) are the reserve of idiots and crazy people who have a death wish, which is why that sign is there.

You didn't read the sign correctly. It said "you needed training to dive. You need cave training and cave equipment to cave dive."

That sign isn't aimed at actual cave divers, it's aimed at open water casual divers.

Griz
May 21, 2001

one of the old British cave divers posted his 4-part BBC miniseries to youtube a few years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYxMreI6BOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I STILL can't believe that only two people died from rescuing those Thai kids from the cave, and that only one of those was during a dive.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I STILL can't believe that only two people died from rescuing those Thai kids from the cave, and that only one of those was during a dive.

If only those pederasts had used Elon's submarine

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

shadow puppet of a posted:

Diving is a useful skill that supports all manner of industry and rescue situations.

Mountain climbing supports the mountain climbing industry and mountain climber rescue industry.

The two are nothing alike

There is plenty of infrastructure and other work which uses mountaineering and climbing expertise. Some of it in mountains but some on other tall structures etc.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Is it not possible to build a diving suit that is pressurized to go to those depths? It seems ridiculous that the guy had to breathe some exotic gas mix that made him extremely drunk and condemned him to 10 hours of decompression even if everything went right. I guess that wouldn't be extreme enough to get their dicks hard. It was clear to me that they barely gave a poo poo about recovering the body, it was just an excuse to push the boundaries.

I mean hell, the article even says they sent a minisub or something down there but couldn't find the body. Once they had the location pinned down I doubt anyone sane would have recommended risking further lives. A sub, a drone, or a rope and hook from above could have done it.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm glad there are at least some psychos out there that are good at cave diving, so they can save kids trapped in Thailand caves. We all forgot about that but it was crazy.

kalleth posted:

Basic standard open water tourist diving is _amazing_, mostly completely safe (unless you're an idiot and do stuff you're not trained for), and you can always nope out of there and go up to the place where you can breathe if something goes wrong. My favourite holiday-in-the-sun activity ;D

Cave diving (which will just kill you for any reason whatsoever) & rebreather diving (where equipment failure will literally kill you almost instantly without you knowing you are dying) are the reserve of idiots and crazy people who have a death wish, which is why that sign is there.

Whats the difference between rebreather and normal scuba?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Caesar Saladin posted:

Whats the difference between rebreather and normal scuba?

Based on the article, the rebreather takes what you exhale and removes the CO2 so the only O2 you lose is what you absorb. You don't have to carry nearly as much O2 with you, but you have to constantly monitor your equipment to make sure the gas is mixing right. You do this basically drunk at a certain point for reasons similar to why climbers get loose-goosey

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Magic Underwear posted:

Is it not possible to build a diving suit that is pressurized to go to those depths? It seems ridiculous that the guy had to breathe some exotic gas mix that made him extremely drunk and condemned him to 10 hours of decompression even if everything went right. I guess that wouldn't be extreme enough to get their dicks hard. It was clear to me that they barely gave a poo poo about recovering the body, it was just an excuse to push the boundaries.

I mean hell, the article even says they sent a minisub or something down there but couldn't find the body. Once they had the location pinned down I doubt anyone sane would have recommended risking further lives. A sub, a drone, or a rope and hook from above could have done it.

Yep, you can build those suits, for example the Newtsuit, but I would imagine they're very difficult and dangerous, if not impossible, to use in a cave. You're right though, using a sub would have been much smarter than a person going down there.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

But as you read,the guy did a record dive,saw a corpse,had to go back.it was about ego too,no way they would've used a sub.

bar88537
Nov 8, 2004

kalleth posted:

Before I had kids, I would do recreational diving trips once or twice a year for maybe 5 years. Even with that limited time, I've witnessed a number near misses. I think it's both Dunning-Kruger, mixed with vacation relaxed attitude, possible alcohol/hangovers, and lax operation crews. I'll tell my stories below here, skip to the next post if it's too long.

One was a guy who had a recent back surgery. At one point our guide/leader notices someone is missing so we all turn around and look. The guy had a back spasm and was in too much pain to move. Underwater, you can't communicate those details and so someone helps him to the surface to figure out what's up. From what I heard, communication issues happened with getting him into the boat, he slipped and fell back into the water and his tank struck the person helping him, so that person was now in an emergency. Someone on the boat had to jump into the water to get everyone safe.

Second was the buddy I was set up with. She said she'd done dozens of dives, but it was in training areas. She forgot everything once she hit the water. She was kicking hard to stay above water, so I inflated her BCD and jammed her air into her mouth. She pushed it out, but waves were occasionally cresting over our heads, so I jammed my backup air in. She pushed that out again and tried to say something was wrong with her goggles. At that point I called for help from the boat and the boat crew were like, no it looks like you got it covered. We did eventually get comfortable on the water surface and agree to descend. I lose track of her almost immediately, like maybe 20 feet down. I wait a minute and can't find her, go surface and go to the boat and tell the crew that I'm not going down with her. She surfaces like 5 minutes later about a 100 feet from the boat, just totally lost the anchor/guide line during descent.

I've been spooked by boats coming close too, but I don't know how close they actually were vs just my perception. I have a friend who was on a dive where someone died, he just disappeared and no one found him. My dad was at a work conference where 2 execs at his company disappeared the same way. Just my way of saying that while I enjoy recreational diving, I really make sure I'm careful about checking my equipment and surroundings and really only trust myself to keep safe.

EDIT: And about rebreathers. I once heard a divemaster say that of all rebreathers that are sold, something like 10% will have someone die while using them. I just went hunting for the stat, the third slide here says that for one model it was 1 in 13.
https://www.deeplife.co.uk/files/How_Rebreathers_Kill_People.pdf
That doesn't seem to source it's quotes so I'm wondering how true it actually is

bar88537 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 18, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

bar88537 posted:

That doesn't seem to source it's quotes so I'm wondering how true it actually is

Good lord

quote:

Fatal accidents appear to be still occurring in 2015 from a bug fixed in 2006!

I don't know if open circuit divers also use a bunch of software to monitor their conditions, but a lot of these seem to be software bugs killing people.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Magic Underwear posted:

They were just obsessed with pushing the boundaries of rebreathers. He had a custom dive calculator or whatever wrist device he had that was filled with oil and set up to go as deep as he wanted. It obviously broke on the way down. They just want to go farther than anyone else has and set records and test the limits of their prototype equipment.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

bar88537 posted:

They're trying to avoid retaliation by the sharing of this document, but it wouldn't be hard to find those incidents from the later repeated references to a couple of websites and join the dots to the suspect manufacturers and products. All they can do is raise awareness, the people who are supposed to be doing their job ie the regulators are clearly just letting people take their chances and not giving a drat.

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

bar88537 posted:

EDIT: And about rebreathers. I once heard a divemaster say that of all rebreathers that are sold, something like 10% will have someone die while using them. I just went hunting for the stat, the third slide here says that for one model it was 1 in 13.

Holy gently caress. I knew rebreathers were insidiously dangerous, because they kill you without warning, but the fact that the manufacturers are also criminally negligent and amoral is totally new info.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

bar88537 posted:

Have a buddy who was a frogman for a while and he hated rebreathers. Basically said all their underwater activities with them involved constantly keeping an eye on each other because it was pretty much expected that someone would have a problem and the window to save them was tiny.

RobotCoupeDetat
Nov 3, 2020
I don't know poo poo about diving, but it blows my mind that the manufacturers and oversight agency appear to give no fucks. Especially given that diving equipment is much more technologically intricate, computers and such.

Early climbing equipment was definitely hosed up (ropes before kernmantle nylon ropes; early camming devices) and still occasionally something gets through (faulty manufacturing on the black diamond nylon slings comes to mind, instead of being bar-tacked they were just tape-spliced together at the ends, you'd be an idiot not to notice though) but recall notices go out real quick. Climbing accidents due to gear failure are vanishingly rare these days. Most "gear failure" accidents are due to improper inspection or use by the user.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Good lord

I don't know if open circuit divers also use a bunch of software to monitor their conditions, but a lot of these seem to be software bugs killing people.

We do but it's normally pretty simple software, running a table of how deep you were for how long. It calculates how long you can stay at a given depth and how slowly you should ascend.

The tables used are really conservative, and if you violate them the computer will beep furiously at you then lock you out for 48 hours.

I would guess that the issue is because people are pushing their computers to the very edge of what is safe/survivable, but I'm just a babby with no tech certs so who knows

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Rondette posted:

Is the documentary you couldn't find this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTlmJeP2Cr0

Also found this interview with Jonah Malek, the director of "Dave Not Coming Back", and Don Shirley, Dave Shaw's close friend and deep support diver on that day (Don almost became casualty #2 of the dive for reasons completely unrelated to Dave's accident).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmEesCWfm6c

You should definitely watch this interview, Rondette. It is highly relevant to your interests.

Dave Shaw's homepage is still up and the dive reports are a hell of a read.

http://www.deepcave.com/pages/1/index.htm

Technical diving sounds like trying to pilot a very technically complex vehicle which requires constant competent decisions to keep on course. You have to do this while being drunk, more or less. If you go far off course you lose consciousness and die. At the extreme depths, diving companions can't help you much at all, they've got too much on their plate keeping themselves alive.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Continuing the diving derail, the book Shadow Divers is pretty terrifying as well. It's about the divers who discovered a u-boat off the cost of New Jersey.
I think I'd rather cave dive than wreck dive based off of reading that.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The only thing on being drunk is that it does tend to go away if you take a moment. At least, it does at recreational depths down to 30/40 metres.

So you're not spending the whole dive drunk, but there is is fair chance that you'll need to take a minute to calm down somehere around 30m.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

AFewBricksShy posted:

Continuing the diving derail, the book Shadow Divers is pretty terrifying as well. It's about the divers who discovered a u-boat off the cost of New Jersey.
I think I'd rather cave dive than wreck dive based off of reading that.

Wreck diving is functionally very much like cave diving and just as dangerous.

Munin fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 19, 2021

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
I take great pleasure in the fact that O'Brady can not credibly claim any firsts on K2 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I love reading about cave diving and high altitude mountain climbing but am a huge wuss and will never participate. I'll stick to the normal mountains that will kill me via bears, thanks.

My google-fu isn't very strong so maybe someone will remember this story - I thought it was in the UK somewhere, the story of a bunch of kids who went cave diving with no equipment and the inner caverns had air pockets that slowly got flooded by a storm pushing water in from the river it was next to? It was a horrifying and sobering tale, especially to read about the people who went to retrieve the bodies and just found the corpses wedged in impassible areas. If I recall correctly the cave system was officially sealed after retrieval attempts for the bodies failed. Does anyone remember what incident I am talking about, or did my brain shove a bunch of unrelated details together?