Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Admiral Ray posted:

not to excuse Newsom, but what governor hasn't hosed this up? as far as I've read everyone has.

My brother lives in Boston and said things aren't half as bad there. I hope Newsom falls hard for his handling of the virus and vaccine roll out. I work at an assisted living facility and we still haven't got our vaccines, meanwhile i read in the times they are literally handing them out to anyone who can find the link to make an appointment. We just had a major break out that could have been prevented if they had just planned the roll out better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

Newsom is a gently caress up on every level of this.
I have a question related to this, but I figured there was just something I don't understand: Why is Sacramento's regional stay at home order lifted when ICU capacity is 6%

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Meanwhile, in placer county every 3rd shopping mall has a recall gavin newsom pop tent that sells Trump merchandise. I don't think they are upset restaurants are still open.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

eSporks posted:

Meanwhile, in placer county every 3rd shopping mall has a recall gavin newsom pop tent that sells Trump merchandise. I don't think they are upset restaurants are still open.

This is what I mean. He opened stuff up to appeal to these people who are going to call him a fascist dictator regardless, unless he does literally nothing. Even then they probably will.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

I'm not going to spend too much time getting upset and Governor Newsom when it's been incredibly hard for any state to deal with COVID without the Federal government assisting like it should be. The smartest, safest thing to do was to shut everything down, send non-essential people home, and pay them to stay there. But CA (or any state) can't afford that on their own for this length of time. Combine that with the apathy of so many California residents who went out to eat at restaurants as soon as they could and lol rip :ca:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

CopperHound posted:

I have a question related to this, but I figured there was just something I don't understand: Why is Sacramento's regional stay at home order lifted when ICU capacity is 6%

There’s some component of 4-week look ahead projection as well. Not just the raw % of the current day.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

gently caress SNEEP posted:

I'm not going to spend too much time getting upset and Governor Newsom when it's been incredibly hard for any state to deal with COVID without the Federal government assisting like it should be. The smartest, safest thing to do was to shut everything down, send non-essential people home, and pay them to stay there. But CA (or any state) can't afford that on their own for this length of time. Combine that with the apathy of so many California residents who went out to eat at restaurants as soon as they could and lol rip :ca:

Well it is pretty hard not to get upset when you are watching people die every day at work. The Federal government hosed this up pretty bad, but the vaccines were delivered to our state. Newsom and the Democrats have totally botched their roll out. Vaccines should be going to people at high risk, not to anyone willing to wait in line at Dodger Stadium, something the dementia patients at our facility just can't do.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

it's funny how people complain that california, the world's fifth largest economy taken by itself, just couldn't do anything about covid because the mean ol' feds weren't spooling up the money printers (well, not for direct covid relief anyway) while loving vietnam managed just fine

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Oneiros posted:

it's funny how people complain that california, the world's fifth largest economy taken by itself, just couldn't do anything about covid because the mean ol' feds weren't spooling up the money printers (well, not for direct covid relief anyway) while loving vietnam managed just fine

California can’t print it’s own money is the largest issue.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

I don't know how you can seriously compare the cost of covering someone's monthly expenses in Vietnam vs California

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Well it is pretty hard not to get upset when you are watching people die every day at work. The Federal government hosed this up pretty bad, but the vaccines were delivered to our state. Newsom and the Democrats have totally botched their roll out. Vaccines should be going to people at high risk, not to anyone willing to wait in line at Dodger Stadium, something the dementia patients at our facility just can't do.
Pretty hot take to be upset that people are getting the vaccine before it expires. Newsom might ultimately be responsible for the botched rollout, but there are plenty of county and city goons between him and your nursing home director that are also dropping the ball. A backup plan to not waste millions of doses that are hard to allocate among tens of thousands of separate medical facilities seems like a good thing.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Infinite Karma posted:

Pretty hot take to be upset that people are getting the vaccine before it expires. Newsom might ultimately be responsible for the botched rollout, but there are plenty of county and city goons between him and your nursing home director that are also dropping the ball. A backup plan to not waste millions of doses that are hard to allocate among tens of thousands of separate medical facilities seems like a good thing.

i dunno if I'm ready to blame Newsom for the hosed up rollout, tbh. my guess is that the feds didn't tell states where they were sending it at all and states had to go around and ask individual places what they had. hell, Azar said there was plenty of vaccine to go around and then two days later was like "lol, nah, we're out of vaccine, hope the states relying on us telling the truth aren't hosed over!"

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Oneiros posted:

This is unbelievably dumb. Vietnam is definitely worthy of learning lessons from, but those are lessons that apply to sovereign states with currency they control, like the federal government of these United States.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

California can't print it's own currency which has already been pointed out. Covid is a massive failure from the federal government on down. This poo poo is on the Trump administration. Newsom will carry some blame, but it's a drop in the bucket compared to how badly the feds willfully hosed this for political gain, and are still loving it for political gain

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Kenning posted:

This is unbelievably dumb. Vietnam is definitely worthy of learning lessons from, but those are lessons that apply to sovereign states with currency they control, like the federal government of these United States.

yes, the successful pandemic response by a country with less than 5% gdp per capita comparatively was because they actually have access to more money and resources. they just fired up the money printers and covid went away.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

this might come as a surprise to some people but it turns out there are measures you can take against something like covid that don't involve a central bank

i'm pretty sure the fact that malls are still open in la doesn't have a loving thing to do with the united state's monetary policy

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Oneiros posted:

this might come as a surprise to some people but it turns out there are measures you can take against something like covid that don't involve a central bank

i'm pretty sure the fact that malls are still open in la doesn't have a loving thing to do with the united state's monetary policy

But what about the ~~job creators~~?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Oneiros posted:

It absolutely does. Imagine this scenario:

California: Stay home and we are mandating non-essential businesses are closed.

Residents: OK, we are losing our livelihoods and can’t afford to pay rent, can we get help?

Californiana: Lol no, we can’t print our own money.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
I applaud California's voters and the political party that represents them for picking the guy who is famous for his brave stand of... signing same-sex marriage licenses in San Francisco, an action that was not against the law in any way.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Greg12 posted:

I applaud California's voters and the political party that represents them for picking the guy who is famous for his brave stand of... signing same-sex marriage licenses in San Francisco, an action that was not against the law in any way.

Hey, he also famously wants to be president!

*is immediately leapfrogged by his successor*

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I think Newsome missed his chance when he was talking up the Western State Alliance stuff. They could have enacted mask mandates, created fines and possible consequences for wilful violations of county and state health orders as a group front. And he definitely should have brought some poo poo down in HB and OC when their local governance decided mass spreader events were cool.

But the fact of the matter is that the feds and Trump hosed it up. He thought it would hurt Blue Cities/States most. He made aid contingent on sucking up to him. And the legislature clamped down on the money tap when it was needed most. Everything since May/June has been a haphazard mess because Gavbot was between a rock and a hard place and there was no way anything close to reasonable was going to get done with us already burning away the Rainy Day Fund.

Greg12 posted:

signing same-sex marriage licenses in San Francisco, an action that was not against the law in any way.
This is a hilariously obtuse rewriting of the national temperature for Gay Marriage at the time.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 18, 2021

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Gavin was in an absolutely hosed position and ultimately I do think he was capped at how far he could go because the Federal government refused to play ball. However I think we can all agree he's handled the optics of it as poorly as possible: between the wine cave poo poo, the French Laundry, his praising of Door Dash as a model company that managed to bravely hang in there and turn a profit during COVID, etc he looks like an out of touch plutocrat who's mandating from on high restrictions that only apply to the rabble, and not to him and his wealthy friends.

I also think Gavin's image is going to suffer a lot harder in the coming months unless California cleans up its vaccination act fast. In two days he'll no longer have Trump and a GOP controlled Senate to bounce off of as a source of greater blame for California's woes.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Oneiros posted:

It has everything to do with Federal policy. What do you think would have happened if Newsom kept everything closed down for months without any federal aid going to people? What would happen to all those retail workers who would have been without a job for months? California is bankrupt and the feds haven't been giving any aid to states so I'm not sure what exactly you'd liked to have happened.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Oneiros posted:

"Everyone gets $1,500 to stay home, plus a $600 bump to unemployment if you have lost your job, also we're paying for housing, business rents and credit/utilities during the shutdown"

Oh weird suddenly we don't need malls open. Huh, crazy.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Most Bay Area boomer Democrats I know like him because he’s from SF and therefore Are Boy and deserves our loyalty. Everything bad happening is all Trump’s fault.

lol he didnt even grow up in SF he was a fancy Marin boy

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

California's covid action was also hampered by Californians.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Trumps plan on completely loving the federal response to make people blame the state governments for his fuckups is wildly successful even among people who should know better.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

perhaps i dislike trump and newsom at the same time :vince:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, there's plenty of people complaining about Gavin ITT from well before 2020.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Yes and that includes me.

Not what my post was about though.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
Newsom deserves blame for plenty of things but I don't think opening up businesses during the pandemic is one of them. He had to make the choice between financially ruining millions of people or letting thousands more people die from covid, which is a lose-lose no matter what you end up doing. He tried to thread that needle and ended up pissing off both sides rather than just one side.

Seph fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 18, 2021

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

all the smart scientists said to stay closed

but our culture is all about making a profit, above all else, so we didn't

newsom absolutely played a part in loving us all over, but yeah he could have done worse it's true

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Man, "doing worse" than the current situation in L.A. is pretty grim to contemplate.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Seph posted:

Newsom deserves blame for plenty of things but I don't think opening up businesses during the pandemic is one of them. He had to make the choice between financially ruining millions of people or letting thousands more people die from covid, which is a lose-lose no matter what you end up doing. He tried to thread that needle and ended up pissing off both sides rather than just one side.

wow, i sure am glad we didn't financially ruin millions of people and let tens of thousands of people die and millions get sick. that sounds like it would have been terrible. very glad newsom made the hard choices to spare us that awful tragedy.

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 18, 2021

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Oneiros posted:

wow, i sure am glad we didn't financially ruin millions of people and let tens of thousands of people die and millions get sick. that sounds terrible.

Yeah, too bad Newsom didn't press his magic "stop covid" button, he really hosed that one up. Maybe you could present an actual substantive argument against Newsom, with examples of things he could have actually done differently, rather than this drive by lower-case shitposting?

Seph fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 18, 2021

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Sydin posted:

Gavin was in an absolutely hosed position and ultimately I do think he was capped at how far he could go because the Federal government refused to play ball. However I think we can all agree he's handled the optics of it as poorly as possible: between the wine cave poo poo, the French Laundry, his praising of Door Dash as a model company that managed to bravely hang in there and turn a profit during COVID, etc he looks like an out of touch plutocrat who's mandating from on high restrictions that only apply to the rabble, and not to him and his wealthy friends.

Agreed.

Seph posted:

Yeah, too bad Newsom didn't press his magic "stop covid" button, he really hosed that one up. Maybe you could present an actual substantial argument against Newsom, with examples of things he could have actually done differently, rather than this drive by lower-case shitposting?

No, see, if Newsom had done things harder, then California certainly wouldn't have had to deal with a recall election and all the law enforcement agencies would've definitely listened and helped enforce the lockdowns and certainly Trump wouldn't have been parading all over "loyal" areas decrying oppressive Commiefornia and and...

Newsom sucks. However, there was no way an actually effective lockdown was going to be accomplished, because enough people are stupid and the things we use to encourage people to follow the laws are insufficient in terms of not just knocking down more minorities while the local sheriff departments take "ok" photos with white restaurant owners and the rich people like Musk try to "well actually" the state response.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Kenning posted:

Man, "doing worse" than the current situation in L.A. is pretty grim to contemplate.

:911:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
In Newsom's place, lacking federal support, i imagine a lot of people would have had an incoherent strategy of partial shut down.

It does something, but not enough, but also doing an effective shutdown without federal support wasn't possible.

You end up with a strategy that causes a lot more pain while probably reducing deaths somewhat and causes everybody to hate you. I imagine he probably knew this when he made the choice, that he was giving up his chance of ever becoming a presidential robot. So perhaps a nice coating of schadenfreude there.

He's still awful and still made many mistakes. Everybody top to bottom in government has been an abject failure of leadership. But not recognizing how much of it is Trumps fuckery is also a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I just saw into the crystal ball of hellfutures and read:

"Following Gavin Newsom's crushing Recall defeat, Governor Musk promises '100 Days of Win' "