Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Chaosfeather posted:

I love reading about cave diving and high altitude mountain climbing but am a huge wuss and will never participate. I'll stick to the normal mountains that will kill me via bears, thanks.

My google-fu isn't very strong so maybe someone will remember this story - I thought it was in the UK somewhere, the story of a bunch of kids who went cave diving with no equipment and the inner caverns had air pockets that slowly got flooded by a storm pushing water in from the river it was next to? It was a horrifying and sobering tale, especially to read about the people who went to retrieve the bodies and just found the corpses wedged in impassible areas. If I recall correctly the cave system was officially sealed after retrieval attempts for the bodies failed. Does anyone remember what incident I am talking about, or did my brain shove a bunch of unrelated details together?

Sounds like Mossdale Caverns but I’m not sure whose depiction you read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Chaosfeather posted:

I love reading about cave diving and high altitude mountain climbing but am a huge wuss and will never participate. I'll stick to the normal mountains that will kill me via bears, thanks.

My google-fu isn't very strong so maybe someone will remember this story - I thought it was in the UK somewhere, the story of a bunch of kids who went cave diving with no equipment and the inner caverns had air pockets that slowly got flooded by a storm pushing water in from the river it was next to? It was a horrifying and sobering tale, especially to read about the people who went to retrieve the bodies and just found the corpses wedged in impassible areas. If I recall correctly the cave system was officially sealed after retrieval attempts for the bodies failed. Does anyone remember what incident I am talking about, or did my brain shove a bunch of unrelated details together?

Mossdale Caverns Disaster perhaps?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/what-lies-beneath-mossdale-caving-disaster-794268.html

e: oops, as above, was just reading it myself before posting lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This incident involving a flash flood trapping Brits in a cave, but the cave was in Mexico, they were all adult men, and they all came out alive.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Thanks for the swift replies! It was definitely Mossdale, I'll see if I can find whatever source I read last time. It included a map with the explanation, which I found extremely helpful (and horrifying!)

Definitely will read about the Alpazat article, too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If we’re going on a cave rescue binge, I’m posting the rest of the links I have shameless stolen from the ‘see also’ section of the Tham Luang Wikipedia page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riesending_cave_rescue

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaconsfield_Mine_collapse

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modesto_Varischetti

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Really glad we nipped that derail about mountains in the bud so we could get back to talking about cave diving.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah and he went to a brain doctor who was like "yeah your brain's all hosed up bro"

Can you imagine if he fell in front of all his friends and family and media and onlookers

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I will never scuba dive after that goon posted about how people just disappear on dives.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

Can you imagine if he fell in front of all his friends and family and media and onlookers

It's nuts that so many people involved in making the doc were friends of his. If he falls off doing this crazy dangerous thing, would you not spend the rest of your life going "It's somewhat my fault. I definitely turned it into something he had to do to support my movie"?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Phi230 posted:

I will never scuba dive after that goon posted about how people just disappear on dives.

somebody link that poo poo

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

somebody link that poo poo

Go back a page lol

SuitcasePimp
Feb 27, 2005

Phi230 posted:

This is not something that you really need to fear when it comes to SCUBA diving within recreational limits as long as you aren't actively trying to kill yourself. In the FL Keys there are like 3-500 dives being done every day in the summer with a handful of diving deaths each year. Most of these are due to underlying medical conditions, usually cardiac, and these people probably would have died if they done any kind of strenuous activity at some point. For every diving death, there were probably 2-3 snorkeling deaths for the same reason.

There were a few near misses in that post and they all basically came down to judgement error because the victim paid a lot of money to be there and really wanted to go diving regardless of their physical condition or perceived skills. It happens all the time but this stuff is mitigated by dive pros as much as possible up front via medical questionnaires, enforcing refreshers if you haven't dived in the past year, etc.

That being said some places are very lax or nonexistent on enforcing this stuff, people lie, and some people just don't think about their own personal safety at all. As a diver it's ultimately up to you to stay within your training, limits, and comfort level. If you do it's one of the coolest things in the world IMO.
We have a thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3467420

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Who the gently caress is dying while snorkeling, jesus

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Afraid I can't remember exactly why but those full face snorkeling masks are a loving liability.

Something about being difficult to clear water if it gets in the tube. More importantly, they're so big that they're strapped on - so you can't just pull them off or spit the snorkel out. Add in perfectly natural panic and yep, you're in trouble.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I did a night dive in a strong current as I think my third dive outside the pool, and that’s counting the skill demo/exam with the instructor. I was a minor and probably should not have been allowed to do this. The fish were cool, though.

My dive buddy and I got separated, but neither of us lost the group as a whole so it ended well. I would not trust my life to a rented lamp today.

What I’m saying is that don’t do dumb poo poo like I did and you’ve already drastically improved your odds.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I've played way too much Subnautica to ever go diving at night or anywhere not a sunny reef

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Strategic Tea posted:

Afraid I can't remember exactly why but those full face snorkeling masks are a loving liability.

Something about being difficult to clear water if it gets in the tube. More importantly, they're so big that they're strapped on - so you can't just pull them off or spit the snorkel out. Add in perfectly natural panic and yep, you're in trouble.

I’m sure they’re dangerous for drowning too, but I understand the bigger issue is the massive dead space. You’re breathing in and out, but that gas isn’t mixing with the outside air, so it kills you just like a rebreather.

Yuri Lipski’s death in the Blue Hole is a morbid video you can watch. Linking to a Reddit post so it’s extra inconvenient to watch, it’s very disturbing. You hear him realize he’s hosed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/truecreepy/comments/b2p3gq/yuri_lipskis_fatal_dive/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Crazycryodude posted:

I've played way too much Subnautica to ever go diving at night or anywhere not a sunny reef

It’s less disconcerting to be diving in a black void than to be diving above a black void.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

High altitude mountaineering is primarily driven by a desire to escape the living nightmare that is the ocean

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I went snorkeling with a group of people who'd never snorkeled before and holy poo poo, just getting ourselves to breathe while our faces were underwater was a huge mental block. one of the people absolutely couldn't do it.

this was a manatee-molesting tour, and the guide had moved to Florida solely for the cave diving opportunities.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

The ocean is extremely cool, I'm a big fan of the ocean, I just don't ever want to loving interact with it or the things that live in it where I can't easily see the well-lit bottom. Except whales, I guess I'd dive with whales if given the chance, I trust the whales to protect me from the scary depths

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

It's nuts that so many people involved in making the doc were friends of his. If he falls off doing this crazy dangerous thing, would you not spend the rest of your life going "It's somewhat my fault. I definitely turned it into something he had to do to support my movie"?

I went to an outdoor event that had one of his climbing friends as a special guest and talked to him about it. He refused to be there for this reason, he just could not watch as he had a terrible feeling about what would happen. Then he said after he heard he made it he felt so much relief and they went and partied and it was great, but from the way he was talking I feel like the guy is probably going to be an old climber and not a bold climber pretty soon. He also had fingers like fuckin' bratwurst they were weiiiird.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Oracle posted:

I went to an outdoor event that had one of his climbing friends as a special guest and talked to him about it. He refused to be there for this reason, he just could not watch as he had a terrible feeling about what would happen. Then he said after he heard he made it he felt so much relief and they went and partied and it was great, but from the way he was talking I feel like the guy is probably going to be an old climber and not a bold climber pretty soon. He also had fingers like fuckin' bratwurst they were weiiiird.

Honnold really does seem to have a very hosed up head, and in the film it certainly seems like if everyone had put the cameras away and said "we're not going to film it" that he would have done it anyway. But I still don't think I could have been involved if he were a friend of mine.

Haven't heard of him doing any more free soloing stunts since then. Maybe he chilled the gently caress out after nailing the big one.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Crazycryodude posted:

The ocean is extremely cool, I'm a big fan of the ocean, I just don't ever want to loving interact with it or the things that live in it where I can't easily see the well-lit bottom. Except whales, I guess I'd dive with whales if given the chance, I trust the whales to protect me from the scary depths

I would love to do this, but am also concerned that the whale might just smack me to death with its tail, in the same way I might accidentally step on a insect.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

Honnold really does seem to have a very hosed up head, and in the film it certainly seems like if everyone had put the cameras away and said "we're not going to film it" that he would have done it anyway. But I still don't think I could have been involved if he were a friend of mine.

Haven't heard of him doing any more free soloing stunts since then. Maybe he chilled the gently caress out after nailing the big one.

He definitely doesn't give a poo poo about fame and absolutely would have done it if they all left.

It wouldn't surprise me if he has backed off of doing anything crazier than he's already done because he feels like there's no free climb left to do that's more challenging than he's already done.

Like, I'm not a climber or anything, but seriously, what's the next step up from there?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I was diving in cozumel and it's drift-diving, i.e. there's a strong current so you just go in and don't swim and drift along the reef and look at the cool fish. It reminded me of the picture above because there's this vertical cliff wall of reef coming out of the blackness, and you go far out so it's deep but the reef starts at maybe 20-60 feet below the surface and just goes on down, so a normal scuba dive (up to about 100-120 feet without advanced training... I think you're not supposed to go below something like 90 or 100 feet but I've been on a few dives that got me to 115 feet, and I can't be bothered to look it up so if you want to correct me go ahead) Anyway one time I wasn't diving because I'd given myself barotrauma in the ear (I forgot to equalize lol, then it got infected) which was making it super hard for me to equalize so I stopped diving at the end of the holiday. My wife was paired with the instructor and at one point there was just a sucking from the depths and he instructor motioned for everyone to grab onto the reef (a big no-no: oil from your hands fucks it up and kills it, but from my perspective I wouldn't touch the reef because some stuff there is sharp / poisonous!) and they all grabbed on to prevent themselves from getting sucked deep.

Later that evening we were out drinking and a 60 year old dude told us how he was diving in Cozumel once and someone went missing, and then their boat picked up a stray person who said he'd been sucked under and his depth gauge for max depth in the dive, read some ridiculous number that I can't remember right now. I assume it was like 200 feet or more. He was also big on 'the bends': 'don't go drinking the day before you dive or you will 100% get the bends!'. He also had a couple of stories of people who had done absolutely nothing wrong and paid attention to their dive computers (it's common to wear a dive computer on your wrist which audibly beeps when you're loving up and tells you to ascend /ascend slower / stay put to decompress) and they still 'got bent!' so yeah.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Azathoth posted:

He definitely doesn't give a poo poo about fame and absolutely would have done it if they all left.

It wouldn't surprise me if he has backed off of doing anything crazier than he's already done because he feels like there's no free climb left to do that's more challenging than he's already done.

Like, I'm not a climber or anything, but seriously, what's the next step up from there?

Yeah beats me I don't know anything about climbing either. Wasn't there another part of Yosemite where two dudes spent like 5 days climbing something that was pretty much sheer rock face and they were sleeping in hanging bags and it was like the greatest achievement in climbing ever. I think this was 7 or 8 years ago?

Edit: It was the "Dawn Wall" on the same rock in Yosemite. Honnold said the climb in "Free Solo" along a different route was his "Dawn Wall" in that it was the most he could possibly do, so yeah maybe he's just finished free soloing things.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 18, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

You can always go solo Everest (illegally since Nepal banned people from doing it to stop them from dying)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Strategic Tea posted:

The Blue Hole in Egypt perhaps? https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/breannawilson/2018/12/11/what-its-like-to-dive-the-worlds-deadliest-dive-site/amp/

It's basically at just the right depth to a) look like a cool, easy, 'hey let's just swim under that arch' and b) kill your dumb rear end if you didn't bring proper equipmemt because you'll run out of air while in a tunnel
Holy poo poo, the Dahab Blue Hole is the most dangerous dive site??? I did my Advanced OWD there lol.

There were I think two little memorial signs you pass across when approaching it, which isn't great but I didn't realize it's literally the most dangerous place. Of course I was with an instructor so we didn't do anything dangerous, and it was a great experience diving along those huge cliffs full of corals and fish and stuff.

RobotCoupeDetat
Nov 3, 2020

Azathoth posted:

He also recently married the lady he was just dating while the film was being shot, which may inform his desire to keep soloing, hosed up brain or no. She seemed definitely against it.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

This guy has an (interestingly varied) youtube channel with a lot of very uncomfortable caving expeditions, here's relevant recent one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpBFEre4tkw

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

mobby_6kl posted:

Holy poo poo, the Dahab Blue Hole is the most dangerous dive site??? I did my Advanced OWD there lol.

There were I think two little memorial signs you pass across when approaching it, which isn't great but I didn't realize it's literally the most dangerous place. Of course I was with an instructor so we didn't do anything dangerous, and it was a great experience diving along those huge cliffs full of corals and fish and stuff.

I went snorkeling in the Dahab blue hole, and just to get there I needed to walk past hundreds of spiny sea urchins on the rocks. I didn't see much when I got in either. I was a total noob at snorkeling and that skeezed me out because one time at boulders beach, before the penguins arrived, I slipped when climbing a rock and stood on a sea urchin and it was so painful. My mother spent like an hour getting the spines out of the bottom of my foot with a needle.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

captainblastum posted:

This guy has an (interestingly varied) youtube channel with a lot of very uncomfortable caving expeditions, here's relevant recent one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpBFEre4tkw

seriously gently caress that. If I'm going to die underground it'll be playing minecraft like my man Paleas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ner-AnCDuAs

das_bill
Sep 14, 2004
wookie ghost trouble
I've done events with honnold and he is overall p. chill. You can tell he's handling whatever spectrum rainbow he's on better these days. On another note some women asked for him to show her his abs. And we kindly said, "No, please back away from the climber" so he didn't have to say the same. People have no loving boundaries.

He's doing more expedition style climbing now, and teaching younger dudes/dudettes. Definitely on old climber trajectory now.

das_bill fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 19, 2021

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Click me for all your dive chat needs

So are those guys still on K2?

If so, are they alive?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Genocide Tendency posted:

Click me for all your dive chat needs

So are those guys still on K2?

If so, are they alive?

The summit team is down and all good. The question is, there are another ~35 people hanging around at base camp, and how many of them will attempt to go up now? If the summit team left up the camps and fixed ropes there's some infrastructure in place to support another summit attempt (unless it's been destroyed by wind or avalanche, which it will be in the coming weeks if it hasn't already) but how much is it worth risking your life to be in the second group to climb K2 in winter?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah the summiters were all back down at base camp by that evening. Nims' nose looked hosed up but nobody was saying anything about it so I guess he's ok

Everybody confirmed Fine except for the unrelated guy who fell off the mountain around Camp 1. He was Not Fine.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

I'm sure someone will. Its still "I summited K2 in the winter".

Edit:

PittTheElder posted:

Everybody confirmed Fine except for the unrelated guy who fell off the mountain around Camp 1. He was Not Fine.

PYF: Quotes

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

PittTheElder posted:

seriously gently caress that. If I'm going to die underground it'll be playing minecraft like my man Paleas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ner-AnCDuAs

I am deeply concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Volcott posted:

I am deeply concerned.

agh! put on shoes!!