Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

samantonio posted:

Collective conscience. We're all feeling this. I literally just broke down a minute ago. I was talking with my dad. He's twice divorced, now alone, had no one, family never really talks with him, retired, SSI, nothing going for him, dementia starting, hard Trumper, feels dejected by the world and just lost an election. He doesn't get all crazy about the conspiracies though, he must be just a bit too old for that subset. When things are good in the news he watches Fox Business to see how much the markets are making. When things are bad or paranoid he watches Fox News to see the libs get owned. But when his guy doesn't win the election he turns off the national news and watching local news (KC metro, pretty left leaning but fair). He knows he's lost this election, and it kills him inside because he's drank the Fox koolaid since 9/11. But he's oldschool enough that he doesn't flip out, he just shuts down and takes it as another painful chapter in his life. That he again won't get what he's been promised from this country. And that actually makes me feel real bad. Because he doesn't know how he's being manipulated by others into being unhappy.

But what sent me over the edge was he said tonight that he was watching a NOVA special on dogs and their lineage from wolves. And there was a scene where they showed a dog an empty field except for his owner being in it. Then they took the dog away and had the owner get under a blanket and then reintroduced the dog to see if he could figure out that his owner was under the blanket. And he described it in a way that told me he needed companionship and it all set in that he has no one to just hold him and tell him everything will be okay. He just has the TV which fills his head with any number of untold buckets of crap.

And I have nothing right now. I've been fired from two jobs in the past month and a half at a critical time when I'm trying to piece my life back together from a criminal conviction that I did time for. And this pandemic is making it incredibly difficult for anyone, let alone someone who is a felon and has to care for their dad who has nothing. His brother, my uncle, just died two months ago. He was basically paying for my dad to live with him in exchange for my dad taking care of his brother who had serious medical issues. My uncle had a bird, and upon his passing I took over care of the bird. The bird doesn't like my dad, probably because my dad is a Trumper and the bird would've voted for Jill Stein (I kid, but you know). And I see that it kills him that while I also have nothing going on in life I at least have this bird while he has nothing. And that tipped me over the edge.

I went into the basement and just exploded tears that had to have been building from all this poo poo that is going on in the world. I cried for like 20 minutes. And the whole time the bird just stood right next to me on the table waiting for me to finish then came up and pecked away at the loving tears on my face which just sent me over the top yet again that WHY THE gently caress ARE WE LIVING LIKE THIS.

Thank you for sharing this. I just want to say that sad moment with your bird was :3: and made my smile a sad smile for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I'm ok with being alive but I am frustrated and bitter about the ways my disability limits opportunity and complicates everything. Like you would think putting socks on would be relatively straightforward.

Shifty Nipples has issued a correction as of 00:25 on Jan 18, 2021

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

OB-GYN Kenobi posted:

Thank you for sharing this. I just want to say that sad moment with your bird was :3: and made my smile a sad smile for you.

Thank you.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Shifty Nipples posted:

I'm ok with being alive but I am frustrated and bitter about the ways my disability limits opportunity and complicates everything. Like you would think putting socks on would be relatively straightforward.

I've heard that complaint from my dad before. He's type 2 and has a large gut developing and I see him struggling with socks and shoes because he can't bend his legs much anymore not reach down to them. But he has to wear them because he can't really feel his feet anymore.

How do you stay positive? What steps do you take to power through? Others in here might like to hear.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

blatman posted:

e: unless you luck out and the box is like entirely caramels but this is the mental health thread, we all got expired terry's chocolate oranges here

I legit laughed at this. :v:

Shifty Nipples posted:

Not that it needs to be stated in this thread of all places, but you would be incorrect. Leaving aside physical disability (which I don't know your status of, and it's none of my business anyway), depression is loving crippling. It's hard to remember that, no, you're not lazy or evil or anything, you just have a medical condition that makes it hard to loving brush your teeth regularly. The frustration is palpable most days.

indigi posted:

I vary between this and “I never loving asked to be born”

I've done the latter a lot. The eventual realization I came to is that I've been born, and there's nothing that can change that. Even death doesn't erase the fact I was born in the first place and have affected the world as a result. So, I make the best of the life I've been given.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Chokes McGee posted:

The eventual realization I came to is that I've been born, and there's nothing that can change that. Even death doesn't erase the fact I was born in the first place and have affected the world as a result. So, I make the best of the life I've been given.

This is the same conclusion I came to. Good brains.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

No. 6 posted:

This is the same conclusion I came to. Good brains.

Who is No. 1 :thunk:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

Who is No. 1 :thunk:

You are!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uiyaqnj2FZ4

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

samantonio posted:

I've heard that complaint from my dad before. He's type 2 and has a large gut developing and I see him struggling with socks and shoes because he can't bend his legs much anymore not reach down to them. But he has to wear them because he can't really feel his feet anymore.

How do you stay positive? What steps do you take to power through? Others in here might like to hear.

I'm sorry to say that I don't have any real positive encouraging words or advice but for me it is a perspective of "I was born with a physical disability that nobody is really at fault for and doctors did what they could (in the 1980's) to address it, and no matter how bad life is I think we only get one chance so I'd rather be alive". In my youth I imagined the world would grow to be more accommodating of people with disabilities so that kind of sucks.

Chokes McGee posted:

Not that it needs to be stated in this thread of all places, but you would be incorrect. Leaving aside physical disability (which I don't know your status of, and it's none of my business anyway), depression is loving crippling. It's hard to remember that, no, you're not lazy or evil or anything, you just have a medical condition that makes it hard to loving brush your teeth regularly. The frustration is palpable most days.

For me specifically I meant more the intricacies of the process than pushing through depression to just get the task done. I wear leg braces so I wear knee high tube socks to keep the braces from rubbing on my skin and it's complicated to get the right part of the sock onto the right part of the foot/leg.

e: I have pet chickens that rely on me to keep them alive, that helps with working up the motivation to put my shoes on in the morning.

Shifty Nipples has issued a correction as of 21:43 on Jan 18, 2021

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Oh no I killed the loving mental health thread :ohdear:

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Nope, we're just readjusting our dosage of reality now that trup is gone. Need a few days breather to assess my mental state.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
My mental health has been way worse the past couple days. Just feel completely alone with all my friends praising someone I find reprehensible. There's some comradery here, but it's mostly yelling and no one I know personally, and hot drat could I use a hug from someone who understands right now.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Shifty Nipples posted:

Oh no I killed the loving mental health thread :ohdear:

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiftyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :argh:

samantonio posted:

Nope, we're just readjusting our dosage of reality now that trup is gone. Need a few days breather to assess my mental state.

Yeah, this. No one (least of all me) is saying everything will be perfect forever now and in fact there are a lot of things left to unfuck, but let's all take a moment to appreciate how much more we're able to breathe without that idiot screaming in our ear 24/7 over the internet and yes my monitor is on tyvm.

Probably Magic posted:

My mental health has been way worse the past couple days. Just feel completely alone with all my friends praising someone I find reprehensible. There's some comradery here, but it's mostly yelling and no one I know personally, and hot drat could I use a hug from someone who understands right now.

I'm not sure whether you mean Biden or Trump here but either way they're awful people so you're in the right place for getting support from likeminded folks :glomp:

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Probably Magic posted:

I feel like you have been a victim of someone's criminal behavior.

breadnsucc
Jun 1, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Perhaps it is unusual for so many words to be written, political theory instead of a memorial narrative, for a message honoring a martyr of the revolution. I kept comrade Michael Forest Reinoehl firmly in my mind with every word I wrote down in this text. This text is not an act of revenge. I still haven’t paid a penny of my debt. I have only determined it. Our revenge will go all the way.

Honor and revenge for the antifascist martyr Michael Forest Reinoehl

Honor and revenge for antifascist martyr Anthony Huber

Honor and revenge for all the martyrs of the Black Revolt

Honor and revenge for antifascist martyr Willem Van Sporsen

“I’m not standing by. I really shouldn’t have to say any more than this. I set aside my broken heart and I heal the only way I know how—by being useful.”

REVENGE for centuries of slavery, for all the generations that didn’t make it to liberation. REVENGE so that the life that is coming can breath

breadnsucc has issued a correction as of 19:36 on Aug 21, 2021

Easy-Bake Coven
Sep 18, 2006

B - E - H - A - V - E
never more

Fun Shoe

breadnsucc posted:

i have survived my bullshit, but now im just lonely all the time, even have a bed in my apartment now yay

I feel ya. My partner of 13 years left me right before Christmas, and because of corona I'm working from home in my new apartment and trying to adjust to going from being hugged daily to having zero physical contact with anyone until whenever this pandemic ends (so basically never) or when I'm ready to start dating again (so basically never). Oxytocin deprivation is a bitch.

I'm also in my mid 30s and feeling very pessimistic about finding a partner that doesn't want kids. It feels like I will be alone until I'm 50 and can start connecting with people who missed the boat on kids and have come to terms with that.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Easy-Bake Coven posted:

I feel ya. My partner of 13 years left me right before Christmas, and because of corona I'm working from home in my new apartment and trying to adjust to going from being hugged daily to having zero physical contact with anyone until whenever this pandemic ends (so basically never) or when I'm ready to start dating again (so basically never). Oxytocin deprivation is a bitch.

I'm also in my mid 30s and feeling very pessimistic about finding a partner that doesn't want kids. It feels like I will be alone until I'm 50 and can start connecting with people who missed the boat on kids and have come to terms with that.

Say three positive things about your self.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017
Anxiety attack two days ago that started at 1 am, hour and a half of terror. Just now crawling out of my hole to be social. I see that others are seeking hugs also and would like to offer up my services to anyone that needs it.

I don't know any of you but I love you goons.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
So I'm not thread regular, but I wanted to share with you guys:

I've had anxiety and depression since I was a teenager. I smoked a lot of weed and then started drinking. Too much. Eventually all the time. Then a situation arose where I had to get clean.

So I went cold-turkey, had an extreme experience with alcohol withdrawal, and almost died, loving myself up badly in the process. I see people joke about alcoholism all the time on these forums. If you're reading and you think you can get help, get it. I'm luck that I have a family with the resources to help me, I totally get that a of people aren't just don't do it the way I did it.

I'm not trying to make this sound like a drat AA meeting, but learn from my mistake.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

breadnsucc posted:

i have survived my bullshit, but now im just lonely all the time, even have a bed in my apartment now yay

Not having to sleep on the floor is awesome

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

BUSH 2112 posted:

I've had anxiety and depression since I was a teenager. I smoked a lot of weed and then started drinking. Too much. Eventually all the time. Then a situation arose where I had to get clean.

So I went cold-turkey, had an extreme experience with alcohol withdrawal, and almost died, loving myself up badly in the process. I see people joke about alcoholism all the time on these forums. If you're reading and you think you can get help, get it. I'm luck that I have a family with the resources to help me, I totally get that a of people aren't just don't do it the way I did it.

I'm not trying to make this sound like a drat AA meeting, but learn from my mistake.

I thought I was reading a time traveler version of myself there.

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014
Based on a recommendation from here, I ordered a copy of Full Catastrophe Living and it arrived today. I wasn't expecting it to be so dense! This is going to be my book for the weekend, I think.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Anyone have some tips on how to get over executive dysfunction? I have all these things to do for school and around the house, but I can't seem to make myself do them. It is only the first week of class and I am already falling behind.

I know I need to do them, but there just seems to be this insurmountable block in my head that I can't seem to get past.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
To do lists, phone alarms and putting stuff in my calendar with set times helps me sometimes. After graduating in November I still have no real clue how I made it work.

an update on my depression quest. I am apparently vitamin D deficient so I will be taking some supplements for that now.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
To-do lists, but not the way people with good brains do them. You want something like a trello board where you can list one normal person task and then 20 subtasks inside it breaking it down to the smallest possible components.

i.e. "clean the kitchen" becomes:

1) clean main countertop
2) fill dishwasher bottom rack
3) wash pots
4) scrub sink
5) fill dishwasher top rack
6) put away cereal boxes
etc.

Then you do something short that makes dopamine happen i.e. play a game for 10 minutes, and say after this I'll tackle whatever the smallest item feels like in this list of small items. You may find that after riding this dopamine high into doing something effective that inertia keeps you going through more of the task, but if it doesn't, don't start essentializing or catastrophizing, just check off the subtask, rinse and repeat.

breadnsucc
Jun 1, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Perhaps it is unusual for so many words to be written, political theory instead of a memorial narrative, for a message honoring a martyr of the revolution. I kept comrade Michael Forest Reinoehl firmly in my mind with every word I wrote down in this text. This text is not an act of revenge. I still haven’t paid a penny of my debt. I have only determined it. Our revenge will go all the way.

“I’m not standing by. I really shouldn’t have to say any more than this. I set aside my broken heart and I heal the only way I know how—by being useful.”

REVENGE for centuries of slavery, for all the generations that didn’t make it to liberation. REVENGE so that the life that is coming can breath

breadnsucc has issued a correction as of 19:35 on Aug 21, 2021

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I think I’m going to try to get help tomorrow. I last saw a therapist and discontinued my medications close to a decade ago and have been hesitant to try again since but I can’t really handle this by myself anymore

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

im on the net me boys posted:

I think I’m going to try to get help tomorrow. I last saw a therapist and discontinued my medications close to a decade ago and have been hesitant to try again since but I can’t really handle this by myself anymore

You got this. Do what you need to to get yourself straight.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

For me, breaking stuff up into smaller tasks makes it harder to deal with because it makes a "simple single task" into an intricate nuanced process. I have always had trouble making to-do lists and it sucks.

samantonio posted:

You got this. Do what you need to to get yourself straight.

:yeah:

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
I'm pretty bad with executive dysfunction too.

One trick I have is to ask myself what I can do in just a few seconds, and then do that. Often the momentum will propel me into doing more stuff.

I try to listen to podcasts or something while I'm doing things to make it more entertaining. I also like to reward myself with food, weed, or internet time for accomplishing tasks.

Sometimes it's harder to do stuff if I feel like a slob, so changing clothes, showering or other easy hygiene/maintenance things can make me feel different and like "a person who can do things".

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I started CPT for PTSD (combat) last week and was asked to write a one page thing about WHY I think the event happened.

I thought it was a really stupid exercise since ya know, how much control do we have in life. But it pulled out some really really negative thoughts I have about myself and the world which kinda seems like the point.

I'm a bit nervous for my appointment tomorrow since I'll be starting out 1000% negative and feel like that's "bad".

idk, just rambling mainly. I know the doc isn't supposed to judge or anything but it's hard to separate that feeling.

Easy-Bake Coven
Sep 18, 2006

B - E - H - A - V - E
never more

Fun Shoe

breadnsucc posted:

we are pretty much the same person, i did manage to find at least one person willing to hang out with me(at least once) and include me in their covid bubble, but gently caress man, shits hard rn

Yeah. It sort of feels like I'm watching myself going through the motions of surviving. Finding a new place to live, working from home, meetings, talking to family on the phone and reassuring them, but inside I'm either completely numb or unbearably sad depending on the hour of the day.

There's a new even stricter lockdown in place in my city since yesterday, too. I wish there was a way to fast forward life a couple of months to a point where it feels more bearable.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Find humor in the small things. It helps a lot.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BUSH 2112 posted:

I almost drank myself to death on a work trip in Chicago. Don't gently caress around with alcohol. It doesn't solve any of your problems in the long run.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
the world is such an insanely mean place. some days are very very difficult

lol gently caress all of this

nerve has issued a correction as of 21:48 on Jan 25, 2021

breadnsucc
Jun 1, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

breadnsucc posted:

find humor in the darkness more like

Dark things can be funny too.

breadnsucc
Jun 1, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

breadnsucc posted:

hey guys, lmao, gently caress everything

:hmmyes:

anything specific trigger this or just the state in the world in general?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool
Thanks for this thread.

I had a manic episode at the beginning of the year and had to be hospitalized. I think it was triggered mostly by a severe lack of sleep, but the doctor thinks marijuana accelerated it, so I'm staying sober.

I was in in-patient therapy for a week, and it was a confusing and humbling experience. Missed out on a wild news cycle, which is probably for the best.

Now I'm in intensive out patient for a while. It's going well so far.

Feeling extremely lucky it didn't turn out worse, very bizarre to think that the person who said and did all those things was me.

Anyway, don't be like me. Be sure to look into getting treatment for depression and anxiety if you are experiencing it. I didn't, and that would definitely have been safer and better for everyone if I had.

Anyone have some good resources for bipolar disorder? This was a first episode for me, but its possible I had others that just weren't as severe or obvious.