Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Bust Rodd posted:

2077 goon discourse around how to fix the game is also weird, because so many goon suggestions boil down to “they could have just cut “FEATURE YOU ENJOYED” and added “FEATURE YOU DON’T GIVE A poo poo ABOUT” and so few people actually reflect on the fact that the Frankenstein’s Monster of a game they are designing isn’t what the game wanted to be.

Like, a bugbear of mine is 2077’s crafting. My first V was Tech/Engineering and so for me, the crafting system in the game worked amazing! I always had gear that was miles ahead of what was dropping, managing my inventory felt easy, and most importantly, looting a new legendary gun recipe was EXCITING! The legendary Smart Sniper rifle is one of my favorite guns in any game!
I think the main complaint with crafting is that you have to drop 18 points into tech if you want to make legendaries. Also the interface is kinda poo poo, but that's secondary. 18 points is a lot, and if you're trying to make, say, a body/reflexes build that's 15 levels you have to dedicate to it that have nothing to do with your playstyle. If there were an alternative like a gunsmith/tailor where you could take your schematics to be made even if you had 3 in tech it would be less of a sore spot, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SubponticatePoster posted:

I think the main complaint with crafting is that you have to drop 18 points into tech if you want to make legendaries. Also the interface is kinda poo poo, but that's secondary. 18 points is a lot, and if you're trying to make, say, a body/reflexes build that's 15 levels you have to dedicate to it that have nothing to do with your playstyle. If there were an alternative like a gunsmith/tailor where you could take your schematics to be made even if you had 3 in tech it would be less of a sore spot, I think.

The entire crafting system is totally broken, it's so SO bad. I'm trying to wrap up the achievements at the moment and there's one where you have to level a skill to 20. My only one that's even close is Crafting at 14 and I've literally done every single quest in the game. The only way to level it up is to grind by making items which takes forever.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
So this was cool!: I'm playing some MAME with my DS4s on my partner's new PC. Great right? I get an email on my phone that says, thanks for your purchase of this $34 Just Cause 4 DLC. Turns out the controllers were somehow still in communication with the playstation, and we basically butt-dialed our way into the most expensive dlc bullshit.

The worst part is, you can get a new disc copy of the game on Amazon for 15. And you can get a digital copy of the game for like $25 or something. But I didn't accidentally buy either of those things...just the dlc for a game that I don't own, that I will no longer have access to if I don't resubscribe to PS+

Never try to play games when you are freshly hosed up from surgery. Waste of money lol. Ok thanks for letting me rant.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Vikar Jerome posted:

Thread on bloodborne for the sony playstation... 1 :eyepop:

https://twitter.com/b0tster/status/1350528152057962496?s=19

This is impressive in so many ways I don't even know where to begin :stare: It takes so much talent to truly emulate the look and feel of old hardware and they've done so perfectly, and picking Bloodborne of all games to do that makes it even more special. I hope they don't get a cease & desist or anything because I'd love to see how far they can go with that project. Footage of their version of the Gascoigne fight for example, just to see how they tackle the fast movement and arena in a PS1 style, would be fascinating to see.

Bust Rodd posted:

The last time I saw video games advertised outside of normal video game space was Red Dead Redemption 2. R* always has a mega-money marketing blitz for every game.

I've always watched E3 and at the time I knew there was no way the real game would be anything like the "gameplay" that was shown but drat Anthem looked so cool :( The lush jungle environment with the eco system of animals etc. and zooming around such a stunning world had me really hoping because it looked like the kind of game I would happily fire up just to fly around in and admire the scenery. Apparently the devs were shocked when they saw the footage because they had no idea where it came from and I wonder if it was entirely faked or it was actually a playable build on stupidly powerful hardware for just that area which was shown.

That and Cyberpunk have really soured me on watching any pre-release "gameplay" footage in the future because the final product is just never the same and always downgraded Even if the game itself is good there's still the knowledge from having seen what it could have been. In the case of Cyberpunk I'm not sure why they didn't just delay for another couple of years to make a splash on PS5 & XSX rather than trying to get it working on PS4 & XB1, and it could have actually looked just like the gameplay they were showing, if not even better.

Also for the people who did not enjoy Nier Automata, can you say why? I keep going back and forth on whether to get the game and I'm enticed by Platinum Games having handled the combat (I really like their games) but really put off by nearly everything else I've seen (large bland environments, apparently needing to replay the story multiple times etc.) and don't entirely know what to make of it. I had originally written it off until I saw they're remaking an earlier Nier game which piqued my interest again since I've seen such strong praise from some.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Pakistani politics posted:

So this was cool!: I'm playing some MAME with my DS4s on my partner's new PC. Great right? I get an email on my phone that says, thanks for your purchase of this $34 Just Cause 4 DLC. Turns out the controllers were somehow still in communication with the playstation, and we basically butt-dialed our way into the most expensive dlc bullshit.

The worst part is, you can get a new disc copy of the game on Amazon for 15. And you can get a digital copy of the game for like $25 or something. But I didn't accidentally buy either of those things...just the dlc for a game that I don't own, that I will no longer have access to if I don't resubscribe to PS+

Never try to play games when you are freshly hosed up from surgery. Waste of money lol. Ok thanks for letting me rant.

Have you tried contacting Sony via phone and explaining that it was an accidental purchase? It can't hurt to try. I contacted their customer service recently and they seem to have really improved since the last time I had to. You could probably get a refund, especially when they check and see that you don't even own the game.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

You may be able to get a refund if you haven't downloaded it. Explain what happened or alternatively lie and say your niece/nephew did it when you let them play Minecraft.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

SUNKOS posted:

Also for the people who did not enjoy Nier Automata, can you say why? I keep going back and forth on whether to get the game and I'm enticed by Platinum Games having handled the combat (I really like their games) but really put off by nearly everything else I've seen

I thought i was in for another Bayonetta and the combat just felt too simplistic and spammy and unrefined

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SUNKOS posted:

Also for the people who did not enjoy Nier Automata, can you say why? I keep going back and forth on whether to get the game and I'm enticed by Platinum Games having handled the combat (I really like their games) but really put off by nearly everything else I've seen (large bland environments, apparently needing to replay the story multiple times etc.) and don't entirely know what to make of it. I had originally written it off until I saw they're remaking an earlier Nier game which piqued my interest again since I've seen such strong praise from some.

I just didn't find the story very compelling for what the game was asking me to do! The gameplay seemed good

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

SUNKOS posted:

I didn't really dislike it overall, but I did not like it enough to keep playing it for long, either. One issue with it is simply that it's a Taro Yoko game, which means that it's at turns openly silly and then bleak and depressing just for the sake of it, which is a very idiosyncratic mix of moods that doesn't work for everyone. That's something you can't really go into the game these days without already knowing, though, so I don't really consider that a flaw per se - but still, it's worth noting.

The gameplay itself is solid enough that it carried a single playthrough for me, although it's not the best that Platinum has ever done. The bigger problem was that I really just didn't feel like seeing any more of it. It's the kind of game I'd rather watch someone else play than to play it myself. If you're not playing this game for the story, there's not really much of a reason to play it at all by the time you reach the first ending.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib

SubponticatePoster posted:

You may be able to get a refund if you haven't downloaded it. Explain what happened or alternatively lie and say your niece/nephew did it when you let them play Minecraft.

Well the lovely thing is, I downloaded the game a few weeks ago and hadn't played it. But on this same night, I not only butt-bought the dlc, I butt-played the game too. There must be a "buy the dlc" button in one of the first menus of the game or something, I'm guessing. Either way I can't imagine it looks great for my case when Sony see I have "played" the game. Plus this was all a few days ago, so I imagine it's too late. I've been too busy sleeping in the few days since to bitch about it on here. :(

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Thanks for the answers :) The openly silly to bleak and depressing transitions actually sound intriguing if they're similar to Twin Peaks but it seems like one of those love/hate type of games? Maybe it might be best to give a whirl on Steam since I'll be allowed two hours with it and still be eligible for refund, and if I go beyond and end up souring on the game I can at least get it removed from my library (I really wish consoles let us do this with games we don't like).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SUNKOS posted:

Thanks for the answers :) The openly silly to bleak and depressing transitions actually sound intriguing if they're similar to Twin Peaks but it seems like one of those love/hate type of games? Maybe it might be best to give a whirl on Steam since I'll be allowed two hours with it and still be eligible for refund, and if I go beyond and end up souring on the game I can at least get it removed from my library (I really wish consoles let us do this with games we don't like).

If you have an Xbox (I think I saw you in the Xbox thread?), it's on GamePass so you could always trial it! Not on PC gamepass tho.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If you have the patience for it, you could read The Dark Id's Drakengard 3 Let's Play over on the LP Archive, because I thought that Nier Automata was very similar in tone to that game and in how it can see-saw quickly from "a robot just asked me where babies come from, what do" to "everything is horrible forever" tragedy. It's by the same developer and writer, so you'll get a good impression of what his style is like.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Well the lovely thing is, I downloaded the game a few weeks ago and hadn't played it. But on this same night, I not only butt-bought the dlc, I butt-played the game too. There must be a "buy the dlc" button in one of the first menus of the game or something, I'm guessing. Either way I can't imagine it looks great for my case when Sony see I have "played" the game. Plus this was all a few days ago, so I imagine it's too late. I've been too busy sleeping in the few days since to bitch about it on here. :(
Oh yeah, sorry, you're hosed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If you've never requested a refund before Sony will probably do it. Although since it's DLC and not the game itself it might be stickier.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Vikar Jerome posted:

Thread on bloodborne for the sony playstation... 1 :eyepop:

https://twitter.com/b0tster/status/1350528152057962496?s=19

You can't fool me, this is just Nightmare Creatures

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a2SBO_q66o

One of the coolest game trailers I've seen. The level design looks amazing. I cannot WAIT for their Bond game.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If you have an Xbox (I think I saw you in the Xbox thread?), it's on GamePass so you could always trial it! Not on PC gamepass tho.

Thanks for the recommendation but I'm one of those people that would be really bugged if I ended up not enjoying the game and it was permanently there in my library & achievements list (not sure how this works with GP however, to be fair). I know it's stupid but on the plus side the added caution of waiting to see if something ends up good (or finding out via Steam) has saved a lot of money that would have otherwise been wasted.

Cardiovorax posted:

If you have the patience for it, you could read The Dark Id's Drakengard 3 Let's Play over on the LP Archive, because I thought that Nier Automata was very similar in tone to that game and in how it can see-saw quickly from "a robot just asked me where babies come from, what do" to "everything is horrible forever" tragedy. It's by the same developer and writer, so you'll get a good impression of what his style is like.

Thank you very much for the recommendation :)

One of the coolest game trailers I've seen. The level design looks amazing. I cannot WAIT for their Bond game.

Apparently that level set in the country home in England (inspired by Knives Out, I think?) is really good according to previews. I had no idea that IO were making a Bond game, though. Is it tied to the movies in any way, such as featuring scans of Daniel Craig etc. or is it it's own thing?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Why, is a Hitman trailer, of all things age restricted?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Agent 47 hangs dong in every scene

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SUNKOS posted:

Apparently that level set in the country home in England (inspired by Knives Out, I think?) is really good according to previews. I had no idea that IO were making a Bond game, though. Is it tied to the movies in any way, such as featuring scans of Daniel Craig etc. or is it it's own thing?

That level looks very Knives Out and Skyfall.
No idea about the Bond game, it was only announced a few weeks ago and given how long games take, it’ll probably be a few years before it’s out, presumably after Craig has finished with Bond. I can’t think of any mainline Bond games that didn’t use the likeness of one of the actors though so who knows!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Why, is a Hitman trailer, of all things age restricted?
It's rated 18-only and Youtube is really doubling down on the whole "kid friendly" thing recently. You can't even get good advertisement deals anymore if you cuss on-screen.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

Also I briefly read that as "i'm an adult with disposable diapers"

lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

I don't think San Andreas is more vibrant or lifelike and is, to me, an order of magnitude less visually interesting than Night City. What do you mean by static? What video games cities feel vibrant and full of life, to you?

I'm not really qualified to be in this discussion but when I read that question the very first thing that popped into my head was Monster Hunter World. Even though that game has a paper-thin narrative and rather disconnected areas...the areas in question feel nothing short of stuffed with life and activity, lush creatures and flora, little npc animations, hustle and bustle, etc.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I've never played a Hitman game before, this kinda looks like perhaps the best version of them, i really liked that trailer ill keep an eye on it.

Can someone who is good at Persona 5 help me figure something out. I'm continuing my snail's pace playthrough but Madarame's palace stonewalled me for about 2 hours before i broke through the wall.

Basically I'm at the part where he alerts the guards and youre automatically at 100% security level. I have to go through a series of paintings until you reach an MC Escher Maze and finally hit a treasure room.

For reasons I cannot understand or explain, if I ambush an enemy and kill them, a new enemy will spawn exactly where they were and immediately run at me, and it'll be the giant tiger monkey persona who has an AoE that one-shots my team.

Sometimes instead I get a spawn that's just 4 bird tengus that do nothing boost their own evasion and taunt instead of getting one-shot by tiger monkey.

The other thing is that if I manage to make it to the paintings maze, sometimes the enemy looks like I have to fight it, but after I defeat it sometimes 1, 2, or eve 3 more waves of bad guys will spawn, even if there was only 1 guard in the room, and any one of those could spawn the 1HKO monkey.

So after probably 2 hours of attempts, i managed to sneak through the entire palace, and the maze, and the painting guessing game, and the only fights I triggered only gave me bird men.

Am I playing wrong? Is it because i have the game set to hard mode? I don't mind having to use status effects or whatever, and i don't feel underleveled because I'm roughly the same level as the persona I am fighting, but it just feels like the game can't really be balanced in such a way that you can just be instantly killed by a massive AoE attack before youre given a chance to do anything, can it? Does every palace have an enemy like this or the armored angel? I don't wanna bump the game down to normal if I can help it, but I would love to know if there's a mechanic i'm missing that causes every fight to actually be a 4 round attrition match that ends in getting one-shot anyway.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

fridge corn posted:

What if you spend money and 20 hours playing a game you know you wont like in an effort to find something you do like about it cuz everybody else says its really good but ultimately your opinion of it doesn't change all that much

i dont see the purpose in this, people have different taste and i don't see any reason to spend money reaffirming your own taste. but then again i also don't see why people feel the need to argue with others that actually they don't like things right, and that seems to be the crux of "game is bad" arguments so

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

my dog bought a game on the psn once while he was mouth feeling a controller to see what it was and they refunded me and that was only like ten bucks, you should definitely at least try and see if you can get a refund

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Less that and more the stated reason of reaffirming something they'd already pre-decided was true. Like, at that point, why bother?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Sorry for your loss but this is hilarious.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Casnorf posted:

Less that and more the stated reason of reaffirming something they'd already pre-decided was true. Like, at that point, why bother?

its just a weirdo twist on the appeal to authority and its one that nerds seem to particularly love. "i know this is bad because i spent money to PROVE that it is bad!"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Y’all wild saving your payment details on a PS4 without at least requiring a password.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I should probably take mine off since Shopto sells money cards for cheap than their actual value so I just use those now.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Y’all wild saving your payment details on a PS4

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Oh wow The Ancient Gods Part One doesn't gently caress around.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

There’s a 60fps mod available for Skyrim PS4 at last :chanpop:

Totally free, works with trophies if you enable it from the mod menu without any other mods and then delete it. Load your old save and it’ll be at 60fps.
Seems to run great on PS4 and PS5, apparently Pro is a bit slower because it’s trying to push 4K60. I just tried it there any it’s immediately noticeable.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Never thought I'd see you excited for Skyrim QoP

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Never thought I'd see you excited for Skyrim QoP

I love Skyrim!

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

This has happened to me twice and it was for usually whatever $100 bundle of CoD or Battlefield they were advertising. Sony refunded both twice since never launched them, probably because I said just give me credit and wasn't a jerk. After that I stopped using DS4s for PC related things.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

There’s a 60fps mod available for Skyrim PS4 at last :chanpop:

Totally free, works with trophies if you enable it from the mod menu without any other mods and then delete it. Load your old save and it’ll be at 60fps.
Seems to run great on PS4 and PS5, apparently Pro is a bit slower because it’s trying to push 4K60. I just tried it there any it’s immediately noticeable.

Just a word of warning. Mods completely hosed up my FO4 install. Not just modded save files, I couldn't even launch a new game. I needed to do a complete purge of my save files and reinstall to fix it. And I've read stories of even that not being enough.

I think it was a game update that screwed things up.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

One of the best parts about buying PS5 to me was finally being able to pass down the DS4 to my gaming PC/RetroPie without worry. Now I can play all this stuff with a comfy DS4 instead if a crappy generic gamepad.