Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Previa_fun posted:

I had a subscription to Nintendo Power as a kid and hoo boy did it lead to me renting a lot of lovely games that looked cool in the magazine. Blast Corps. Quest 64. Superman 64.

Also I owned both that weird Faceball 2000 game and Claymates on SNES.

blast corps is a great game dumb bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Oh poo poo James Pond reminded me of this quintessential rental.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Fungah! posted:

blast corps kicks rear end, coward

mycophobia posted:

wtf blast corps was cool

heehee posted:

blast corps is a great game dumb bitch

yeah ok I'll take you alls word for it. I probably just sucked at it as a kid

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I always picked what game to rent as a kid, since I was the only one in the house who gamed, but that definitely led to some bad kid decisions (and some circumstances where I just got screwed)

also, all the good games were inevitably always out and the stuff left on the shelf was never worth it. I think the only all-time classic I ever rented was Super Mario Bros 2. Possibly one of the Mega Man games as well (3? 4?) but I was also absolutely terrible at that style of gameplay back then.

- Dragon Warrior III was my first rental rpg (first rpg at all, really), and being like 8 years old at the time, I absolutely was not prepared for the grind: the story said to go to the dungeon, but I keep dying, what the gently caress, video game?
- Empire Strikes Back just hates you
- so does Astyanax
- I learned how to get into the first building in Snake's Revenge from a video game magazine I got around the same time, but never got anywhere in the first building because that game also hates you.
- Ducktales is good, but the copy I rented didn't come with a manual, and it was literally like an hour before we had to go and take it back to the store (Fox Video, Brodheadsville PA; not missed, you sucked) before I figured out that the b button did things only when combined with a direction being held against, like, an object or surface.

(In my college days, when I worked in a pizza shop next to a video store, my only memorable rentals were Suikoden 4 (which was like watching paint dry) and Fight Night Round 3 (which I forgot I rented and eventually got taken to loving court over, because that video store was run by psychopaths who found the quick way to get money out of college kids was to mass-litigate everyone who doesn't return a game or dvd on charges of, like, "attempt to defraud services" or some poo poo. I don't remember exactly, it was like 15+ years ago - google maps tells me the pizza place is now a falafel place and the video store is now an escape room. I want to say I got that video store's vhs copy of repo man when they did a "we're getting rid of all our tapes, it's dvd o'clock" right before I left town.)

however, the spot where my parents absolutely hosed up was when they'd buy poo poo for me on birthdays/christmas without my input and since we were mostly broke, it was inevitably the cheapest garbage on the shelf at K-B Toys or whatever. This is how I became intimately familiar with the first four stages of Back to the Future and the first stage of Destination Earthstar, neither of which I could ever get anywhere in.

I want to link a video of back to the future to show you how agonizing an experience that poo poo was but looking at youtube, all the options are either "no death speedrun 18 minutes" or "irate manchild yells at video game for youtube dollars" and neither of those are anything like the reality of living with that cartridge.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

back to the future 2 & 3 for NES was absolutely insane, even Game Genie couldn't save you

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

have a nice day

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
i was ALWAYS in control of my rentles and i still managed to rent face ball, doe sthis shockyou

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i still have a soft spot for it but man, quackshot was a bitch

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I rented Clayfighter multiple times and the theme song is burned into my brain, it was the first time I ever heard vocals in SNES music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scAK6mikkss

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
blast corps probably sucked rear end if you rented it and didn't get an instruction book. doubly so if all the levels were already beaten and you didn't have the instructions to tell you how to wipe the save file

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

I always got to pick but when i was really young my mom would pull jedi mind tricks like “you dont really want that one” and i would end up renting something else

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Tato posted:

blast corps probably sucked rear end if you rented it and didn't get an instruction book. doubly so if all the levels were already beaten and you didn't have the instructions to tell you how to wipe the save file

maybe but I probably just sucked at it. Maybe I should find an emulator and give it another shot.

lol that somehow everyone managed to rent Faceball. What was it about the box art that screamed "gently caress yeah rent me"

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Previa_fun posted:

lol that somehow everyone managed to rent Faceball. What was it about the box art that screamed "gently caress yeah rent me"
crosshairs = guns = badass

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
it's like how when you're 6 years old and not a little kid anymore, there's nothing more badass than hating barney

that little yellow smiley face was everywhere and it wants you to have a nice day, and this is a game about shooting it :twisted:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cubone posted:

it's like how when you're 6 years old and not a little kid anymore, there's nothing more badass than hating barney

that little yellow smiley face was everywhere and it wants you to have a nice day, and this is a game about shooting it :twisted:

the guy in the barney suit got the last laugh on us all when we found out he was some kind of weird sex cult priest

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I rented Clayfighter multiple times and the theme song is burned into my brain, it was the first time I ever heard vocals in SNES music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scAK6mikkss

Clay fighter was the only fighting game I had ever played until about 2013 and I, too, have most of the sound effects stuck in my brain.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Previa_fun posted:

maybe but I probably just sucked at it. Maybe I should find an emulator and give it another shot.

A lot of the times it was because Nintendo Power hyped something up or gave it a spread. They hyped Faceball kinda hard. Won some NESTER AWARDS. I remember going to a science museum on a field trip and they had the Faceball multiple TV multiplayer actually working. Still, only fun for like 4 minutes.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Fester's Quest multiple times, all the lovely Simpsons games, played all the way through Mario is Missing. Could rent and borrow Mortal Kombat games no problem but my mom refused to let us rent Maximum Carnage because of its name, no matter how many times I explained it was just a Spider-Man game.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Fungah! posted:

the only game my parents ever rented for me that i had no input on was when i got back from a lovely scouting trip and theyd rented me legend of dragoon because it looked like the sort of thing they thought i liked, so they're 1 for 1. any other time it was on me how good or bad the game was

edit i drink sewage water and i cant read

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a fond memory of coming home from school early because of snow and catching my dad playing a bot match of counter strike condition zero. He couldn't figure out the buy menu so he was getting pwned by T's with AK's, and he had a usp with no armor. He turned around and saw me after he died and immediately turned it off and never talked about it again lol.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

My parents let me pick what games to rent op

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

I have a fond memory of coming home from school early because of snow and catching my dad playing a bot match of counter strike condition zero. He couldn't figure out the buy menu so he was getting pwned by T's with AK's, and he had a usp with no armor. He turned around and saw me after he died and immediately turned it off and never talked about it again lol.

lol

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

A Father’s Shame

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Larry Parrish posted:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

lmao

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

lol

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Lmao

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

my dad beat the original super mario bros before I did and tried to at least feign an interest, but I remember the exact game and level where he put down the controller, left the room and never touched another video game his entire life

"this thing has too many buttons"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJejE_OSJcc

I think you can literally just stand on one platform the entire time, but parallax scrolling was too much for a dad to handle

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

My parents bought themselves a NES classic and have been telling me of their Mario 3 adventures. They haven’t made it past world 3 yet and leave the system on mid-run when they want to save their progress. Very adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

my mum rented me ultima online for some reason. Obviously it didn't work because the key had been used. I feel like there was a failure of understanding on every conceivable level here

also she let me rent anything I wanted no matter how terrible, including Chameleon Twist, but one day out of the blue I wanted to rent out Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and she said no because it looked too childish. wtf I was 9