Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Yikes.

What Mesa is that anyway? From the price I’d guess... JP2C?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

BonHair posted:

So, it did not apply a layer of stuff to the groove, it fuses with the vinyl, which obviously can't possibly change the shape. I sure hope it's literally just water that evaporates.

Don't be silly. it's probably just rubbing alcohol

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Anyone else enjoying the current discussion over the push for gearslutz to be renamed? As usual the "pc culture is going too far" crowd is out in full force, none of them apparently being embarrassed to be associated with a forum that sounds like it was named by a 14-year old

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i hate that name so much. i’d actually go there regularly if they change it

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

GreatGreen posted:

Yikes.

It's got 6l6s so it's definitely one of the high wattage multi thousand dollar ones

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Gearslutz is a sometimes decent site (if you sift through the crap) with a horrible name. Not only does it sound like a edgy teen named it, but it also makes them sound more concerned with buying poo poo than learning how to use it.

Oh wait.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
GearPigs wouldn't be a half bad namechange.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
GearConsumerz. Get to keep the Z and all!

Edit: I particularly love looking for threads on technical or theoretical stuff. Like how a 1176 interacts with a thing, or what makes Pultecs so popular. Or broader, neat tricks to learn with a comp or whatever (I learned a badass ReaComp trick with that).

After a while someone always comes in and goes "what, with THAT gear?! It's trash, you should get <XYZ> instead!" and then everyone argues about the ideal gear to get (sometimes with made up budget's for OP? Like they just go "well if OP has $200 then...") and misses that OP wanted help getting good results from gear THEY ALREADY HAD, which is v v doable.

Also prosumer people who obsess about their converters or whatever and never seem to post examples of what they actually make is pretty funny.

syntaxfunction fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 16, 2021

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

GreatGreen posted:

Yikes.

Yea that one.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Gearslutz should be renamed Hoarderz or something, its like 90% ”look at this poo poo I’ve bought/am about to buy/you bought that is inferior to the poo poo I bought”. Maybe thats just all hobbyist forums. Theres one guy in particular whos life goal seems to be to out buy everyone else, just constantly buying poo poo.

Occasionally amusing like the time they were trying to quess what one guys monitors were and somebody commented ”at least you are having fun”.
Dude flipped out with ”FUN? FUN?!! This loving place” and went on a rant how superspecial his monitors were, got laughed out, deleted his post and reregistered.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Gearslutz is perfect because at the end of the day whats wrong with being a slut for pro audio gear?

I had an easier time getting on board for the ones w/ more obviously sexist/homophobic readings, like Muffwiggler (which still felt a bit like people wanting the place to be something it just wasn't). I totally get the argument that it's embarassing that it's become the de facto home for discussions around this stuff that are professional in nature, and that no one in their right mind would want to be associated with it, but I think you'd have to do a lot more than change the name of the forum to deal with that.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
I lurk r/bodybuilding from time to time and they brought in a new rule that if you’re giving advice, you have to post a picture of your physique and I think a similar rule might be appropriate for gearslutz threads about mixing. Prove you don’t have cloth ears before you start talking smack on one 1176 vs another, or something like that

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
gearpowerbottomz

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

FWIW the stuf in the 'post your music' threads on gearslutx does seem to have generally better production quality than most I've seen online. Name is still hella embrassing.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I would normally say use of “slut” is sex positive but we know they are NOT that place.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Gear Friends and Lovers

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I would normally say use of “slut” is sex positive but we know they are NOT that place.

I'm a gear slut but I back that up by being a regular slut :smug:

I'd love to talk to knowledgeable folks about tips and advice on how to best use my gear but I absolutely know I would get destroyed for having "poo poo" gear haha. It's almost like I go out of my way to buy weird 80s/90s crap units, possibly for a sound??? Obviously I need an Antelope Orion. It's just sensible. Somehow.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

W424 posted:

Gearslutz should be renamed Hoarderz or something, its like 90% ”look at this poo poo I’ve bought/am about to buy/you bought that is inferior to the poo poo I bought”. Maybe thats just all hobbyist forums. Theres one guy in particular whos life goal seems to be to out buy everyone else, just constantly buying poo poo.

Occasionally amusing like the time they were trying to quess what one guys monitors were and somebody commented ”at least you are having fun”.
Dude flipped out with ”FUN? FUN?!! This loving place” and went on a rant how superspecial his monitors were, got laughed out, deleted his post and reregistered.

One of the reasons I stick around on SA forums because goons generally seem reluctant to use every post as an excuse to mention their vintage/rare/expensive version of the same thing. That just annoys the poo poo out of me, even when I'm listening to calming music through my Apollo audio interface into my Sennheiser Orpheus/HE-1headphones for maximum audio fidelity.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
If anything I think we dickwave about how we all play on the cheapest gear possible lol

It's honestly why I stay here. I like that everyone's humble and not doing the typical musician poo poo of trying to prove their better than anyone else. Everyone's helpful and constructive in their own ways, even if I come off as a dick a lot of times.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

If anything I think we dickwave about how we all play on the cheapest gear possible lol

It's honestly why I stay here. I like that everyone's humble and not doing the typical musician poo poo of trying to prove their better than anyone else. Everyone's helpful and constructive in their own ways, even if I come off as a dick a lot of times.

Dicks can be helpful in certain situations. And we definitely dickwave about playing Katanas and Squiers, and tend to mock people buying top shelf Gibsons. But it's pretty chill, we have nothing to prove really.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I have a gibson. I have a squier. I have a jcm800. I have a katana. I love all of them equally.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

BonHair posted:

Dicks can be helpful in certain situations.

The missus concurs.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

sigher posted:

The missus concurs.

I was thinking slap bass, but to each his own.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
what comes after synthwave and vaporwave

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Corewave

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

honestly tho if you're buying a new off-the-rack Gibson model over 1k in TYOOL 2021 then you kinda deserved to be made fun of.

Hope the QA person was some-what conscious when they needed to inspect that guitar!

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Laserjet 4P posted:

what comes after synthwave and vaporwave

wavewave

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

:parrot:wave

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
vvave

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

polka-core

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

A friend and I have had a lengthy discussion about "gearslutz posters" as a sort of person. We'd never discussed GS before but were instantly able to use "gearlutz posters" as shorthand to describe a middle-aged English house/techno zealot who drives a golf GTI and works in IT.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

This abomination has been following me around via targeted advertising:

https://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/shape/concert-bass/x-series-concert-bass-cbxnt-dx-iv/2916654618

The Ric aesthetic only works on actual Rickenbackers.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I kinda like it actually lol. It's a little jarring but I like it

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The headstock and inlays are a weird fit but otherwise it’s fine I suppose

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Rics were using shark fin style inlays long before jackson or any 80's brand did.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

DrChu posted:

This abomination has been following me around via targeted advertising:

https://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/shape/concert-bass/x-series-concert-bass-cbxnt-dx-iv/2916654618

The Ric aesthetic only works on actual Rickenbackers.

Wrong thread, unless you were making fun of the PJ set up. I feel they should've done a more interesting pup set up if they were gonna do a mashup of notable basses. Like, MM and P90 or humbucking lipsticks.

The Rickenbacker aesthetic is wasted on their fugly bass bodies. The Harley Benton not-Rick is a much prettier instrument.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Thumposaurus posted:

Rics were using shark fin style inlays long before jackson or any 80's brand did.

I guess for me when you combine them with that headstock it looks like they used the wrong neck

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea I like everything about it. I get what you mean, though.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Its even the weed colour

They know their market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
nah that's definitely the puke green color of household appliances from the 60s and 70s