Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There's a cool Robert J Sawyer trilogy about us accidentally opening a door to a parallel earth where Neanderthals became the dominant species and we died out instead

Their society has some ... quirks, but generally puts ours to shame. First book is called Hominids. I haven't read it in probably a decade but I really enjoyed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The author's name is Jean Auel but in Finland the translations were published under the name Jean M. Untinen-Auel for marketing purposes, and the loving Finnish Wikipedia article on her is under that name. I'm sure I could start a war by correcting it.

Do it, you could immediately post it to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Lamest_edit_wars.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Bloop posted:

There's a cool Robert J Sawyer trilogy about us accidentally opening a door to a parallel earth where Neanderthals became the dominant species and we died out instead

Their society has some ... quirks, but generally puts ours to shame. First book is called Hominids. I haven't read it in probably a decade but I really enjoyed it

I know about the Neanderthals having quantum computers and using helicopters instead of planes, but I have feeling you're talking about their society being weird.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

The MSJ posted:

I know about the Neanderthals having quantum computers and using helicopters instead of planes, but I have feeling you're talking about their society being weird.

Is that the one where neanderthals have a matriarchal society and the men have to live outside cities because all the women's cycles are in synch and they get absolutely murderous when the Red Baronness visits?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The author's name is Jean Auel but in Finland the translations were published under the name Jean M. Untinen-Auel for marketing purposes, and the loving Finnish Wikipedia article on her is under that name. I'm sure I could start a war by correcting it.
Tell me more, please. What's the linguistic difference between the names? Why would correcting a wiki article be so divisive in Finland?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Duodecimal posted:

Is that the one where neanderthals have a matriarchal society and the men have to live outside cities because all the women's cycles are in synch and they get absolutely murderous when the Red Baronness visits?

Ehhh, that is their own anthropological explanation I think for their living arrangement, but basically the norm is for everyone to have two spouses, one of each gender, and they generally live with their same-sex partner with the women (and young children) in the city center and the men in the more outlying regions. They then go and spend romantic weekends with their opposite-sex spouses.

Like all good sci-fi the differences are mainly so we can say "why IS our poo poo the way it is?"

And they aren't really helicopters they have, more like stackable cubic drone taxis that you call when you need one. No roads, no private car ownership, nicer planet.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

This is an amazing page that really brings home the bottomless pettiness of Wikipedia editors.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Tell me more, please. What's the linguistic difference between the names? Why would correcting a wiki article be so divisive in Finland?

I think it's just that Auel is a German name and Untinen is a Finnish name, so in Finland they market the book by including it. There isn't really an American equivalent because the majority of the country is European melting pot or whatever, but it's like the polar opposite of people criticizing Obama by highlighting Hussein as his middle name.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1350923446218354689?s=21

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Baron von Eevl posted:

My understanding is it's not nearly as good as Quest for Fire, among the microgenre of "80s movies about neolithic hominids."

Yeah, i have a copy of quest still as well...

Some interesting stuff listed, but I was already getting tired of skimming it when lowtax came up and that sealed the deal to close the tab. Astounding what folks will argue over.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

He can not lie

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002

loving Lowtax is on there :what:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dammit Kirk, you gotta lay low if you want witness protection to work :arghfist:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

He can not lie

Those other Canucks can't deny

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Assman? I'll give you Assman!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NuminaXLT posted:

loving Lowtax is on there :what:

Lol and thus shall he be remembered

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Every time this news article comes back around I feel like I'm going crazy, because this was the exact plot of a Seinfeld episode, the license plate literally said "ASSMAN" and it was from nearly 30 years ago.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah but that was a proctologist, not a guy named John Q Assman.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

So this guy has to be related to Sask resident Dick Assman, who was a thing 30 years ago when Letterman had him on the show, right?

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

doverhog posted:

There's actually a book series about this set during the ice age?, where a woman is captured by neanderthals and kept as a slave but grows to love them and their tribe and feels bad when homo sapiens starts killing off her tribe. It was in my dad's (divorced) new partners bookcase. I have no idea what they were called or who the author was, but it was some pretty hard material a literal child probably shouldn't have been allowed to read.

As was already posted, Clan of the Cave Bear. I read it a few years ago because I love nonfiction anthropology stuff, as well as the occasional fantasy series. It felt like a great mix of "where did humans come from?" documentaries with fantasy fiction in a world not too different from ours. Overall it was a compelling read.

Then late in the book there is the rape scene. Absolutely "pretty hard material a literal child probably shouldn't be allowed to read." I was so into the "fantasy documentary" mode of thought that I read it in a detached view, just kind of an anthropological "hmm yes, an aggressive assertion of dominance."

Then I read the summaries of the next books, and there's like, lots more sex? Maybe magic sex? And I lost all interest in completing the series.

The first one is a really great fantasy novel set in semi-realistic caveman times when humans and neanderthals encountered each other. Can't speak to the rest of the series.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

"No One Can Stop Assman

oh god there he is he's in the building what are you waiting for RUN"

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Phy posted:

"No One Can Stop Assman

oh god there he is he's in the building what are you waiting for RUN"

"You'll smell him before you see him... But it won't help! ASSMAN is the terrifying new thriller from the twisted mind of Larry David..."

Everything gets a 90s style trailer in my head :shobon:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/LiveScience/status/1351635302582939651

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Paging Kirk Johnson, doctor of archaeological proctology.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/cbs11ken/status/1351644443477237760

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I just came here to post this, except I found it with the headline "scientists have described a dinosaur's butthole in exquisite detail" https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-have-described-a-dinosaur-s-butthole-in-exquisite-detail

What a time to be alive.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It appears President Biden has removed the red button on the Resolute Desk that former president Trump used to summon a White House butler with a Diet Coke

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Biden is getting so much mileage out of simply not being Trump

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Looking forward to the press photo of him looking inordinately pleased at treating visitors to Shake Shack

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

What ice cream brand would like to sponsor an ice cream button in his desk?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is Ben & Jerry's too left for him?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Lobok posted:

Is Ben & Jerry's too left for him?

He'd get B&J to install the button but then cave to corporate masters and use something less 'controversial'

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Lets hope the white house is not full of leftover cardasian protocols

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Civil_Defense_(episode)

Offtopic:
https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1352465912255770624

Tei has a new favorite as of 13:51 on Jan 22, 2021

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Ah, goddam it.

She was so lovely.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The man third in the line of presidential succession has been in five 'Batman' movies

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Whatever, let me know when "boiling acid" guy shows up in the line of succession.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/KCBSRadio/status/1353266292241821697

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That's it Coronavirus! You mess with my adorable internet memes and you get three millennia of burning fury!
:toughguy: