Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

So did they vote on making poor people even poorer today? I can't seem to find anything about the result anywhere.

[edit] 111 is something called Nelson in Cricket and is very bad luck. If David Shephard were still alive and posting in this thread, he'd be standing on one leg because that helps or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

if you make people poorer and poorer eventually they have to pull themselves up by their bootstraps or die

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Dead Goon posted:

So did they vote on making poor people even poorer today? I can't seem to find anything about the result anywhere.

[edit] 111 is something called Nelson in Cricket and is very bad luck. If David Shephard were still alive and posting in this thread, he'd be standing on one leg because that helps or something.

Vote should be 19:00 - 19:30 (its opposition day so meaningless anyway).

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Debate started about 20 minutes ago

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

I had been told that the UK had moved towards a system where apologies were made and wrongdoings admitted (as a means to reduce liability cases. Which studies have shown that it often does.) but I don't know what has happened here.

Yeah, that doesn't happen often enough.
Admittedly, it's hard to tell for sure, since the ones where the institution immediately admits their mistake don't tend to make the news (because those wronged are less likely to feel aggrieved in the long-run).
But generally, people are still worried that they'll be fired if they admit that they did something wrong. And, sadly, you only need one person in the chain to be unwilling to own up to their cock-up, and suddenly everyone below them is left hanging.

If I gently caress up, do I trust my manager to have my back? In my case, probably; and her manager. But her manager? Eeeh, I don't know her well enough to be sure. So if the gently caress-up is bad enough to get kicked 3 rungs up the ladder, I'm taking my career in my own hands if I admit my part in it.

Fortunately, in my role, there's a limit to the number of ways I can gently caress up that would require it to be escalated that far, but then I don't work in acute care.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

An absolute classic of the "politicians standing in front of writing" genre

https://twitter.com/amphitryoniades/status/1351214987428196352?s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kingturnip posted:

Yeah, that doesn't happen often enough.
Admittedly, it's hard to tell for sure, since the ones where the institution immediately admits their mistake don't tend to make the news (because those wronged are less likely to feel aggrieved in the long-run).
But generally, people are still worried that they'll be fired if they admit that they did something wrong. And, sadly, you only need one person in the chain to be unwilling to own up to their cock-up, and suddenly everyone below them is left hanging.
Reminds me of the Bawa-Garba case, where information from the reflective learning notes were reported to be part of proceedings against her in court, which spiraled out of control and led to a predictable backlash where clinicians reported they were less willing to record honest learning in their notes and more likely to turn them into an exercise in being legally sanitized and clinically useless.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

keep punching joe posted:

Vote should be 19:00 - 19:30 (its opposition day so meaningless anyway).

Kieth not going to be there then?!

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
That's perfect Keir, you climb that mountain of conflict.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The QC (No not that one) having a 3 day meltdown over accusing a Verified Twitter user of not actually being Jewish is something else.

I'd link to it but I made the mistake of quoting a tweet and he blocked me within 45 seconds. He's been doing this all day.

What a time to be alive. If you just search Simon Myerson it will come up.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jose posted:

not really surprising that the end result of the press hyping up antisemitism on the left has QCs accusing jews of not being jewish

https://twitter.com/SCynic1/status/1351084979233705986?s=20

For reference.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

TACD posted:

Well bollocks
I have no idea. Is there somewhere we can contest this? Otherwise we’re going to be racing the clock to find a new GP > get registered > get appointment > get new prescription approved before her current supply runs out

This has happened to me before. In addition to getting properly registered at a new GP remember you can also get a temporary reg which is usually quite quick. That will at least allow them to process a prescription in the meantime.

If the medication is vital and she's running out (insulin for example) I would recommend just turning up at the local hospital and explaining the situation particularly if it has a relevant clinic. Hospital docs can legally write prescriptions just like your GP, and they would pretty much have to in that situation.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 18, 2021

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
How did they get them so dry?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

serious gaylord posted:

The QC (No not that one) having a 3 day meltdown over accusing a Verified Twitter user of not actually being Jewish is something else.

I'd link to it but I made the mistake of quoting a tweet and he blocked me within 45 seconds. He's been doing this all day.

What a time to be alive. If you just search Simon Myerson it will come up.
Having a very normal day it seems.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Desiderata posted:

That's perfect Keir, you climb that mountain of conflict.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU2ftCitvyQ&t=92s

Why is he climbing a mountain?

He wants to make love to the mountain.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

So the universal credit thing passed. Guess they should have suggested whacking another 50 quid on it.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So the universal credit thing passed. Guess they should have suggested whacking another 50 quid on it.

Why? The government will ignore it either way

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

How will they ignore it?

Do you just mean in general, or am I confused and the motion having passed does not mean that UC will now not drop by the 20 quid scheduled?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

NotJustANumber99 posted:

How will they ignore it?

Because the motion is

"That this House believes that the Government should stop the planned cut in Universal Credit and Working Tax Credit in April and give certainty today to the six million families for whom it is worth an extra £1,000 a year."

It's not saying it has to happen, just that parliament agrees that it should.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Ah I see. The abstention just means it'll drop out of view and happen anyway.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Yeah it was an opposition day vote so doesn't have any power.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Lungboy posted:

Yeah it was an opposition day vote so doesn't have any power.

Well it is an Act of Parliament it just doesn't order anything to happen. If it had been phrased in a way to force the government to do something then the government would have opposed it.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

A motion isn't an Act.

Just because it isn't binding though, it's still constitutionally outrageous for the Government to just flat-out ignore the expressed will of Parliament. Don't ever forget that, or whose legacy it is.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Borrovan posted:

A motion isn't an Act.

Just because it isn't binding though, it's still constitutionally outrageous for the Government to just flat-out ignore the expressed will of Parliament. Don't ever forget that, or whose legacy it is.

Yeah oopsie about motions and acts, good thing I'm not in parliament!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I said this earlier about lentils but I'm not sure all this democrazy stuff is worth the faff.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Definitely a motion all right.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/JoMicheII/status/1351277201489088512?s=20

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Borrovan posted:

A motion isn't an Act.

How is that any different from the other 700 times that a Tory Govt has flatly ignored the expressed will of Parliament in the last 10 years?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

sebzilla posted:

An absolute classic of the "politicians standing in front of writing" genre

https://twitter.com/amphitryoniades/status/1351214987428196352?s=19

Whether he's got the wow factor to win

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Communist Thoughts posted:

Whether he's got the wow factor to win

honestly that would have been better than what they actually asked him at the end of that video

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
does the electorate want to gently caress you, as it were

Trades
Aug 3, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

If the medication is vital and she's running out (insulin for example) I would recommend just turning up at the local hospital and explaining the situation particularly if it has a relevant clinic. Hospital docs can legally write prescriptions just like your GP, and they would pretty much have to in that situation.

Please don’t do this, not great advice at the best of times and positively terrible advice right at this moment.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Trades posted:

Please don’t do this, not great advice at the best of times and positively terrible advice right at this moment.

Compared to dying because you have no insulin?

Trades
Aug 3, 2013
We’re talking about a situation where someone is at risk of a repeat prescription dropping off at an unspecified point in future, not where they have hours of a life essential medication left. GPs are able to offer same day prescriptions, and someone has already mentioned temporary registration.

The use of hospital resources in that manner for nearly every situation, excepting possibly insulin and anti-epileptics, is ridiculous, and the risk to whoever rocks up at A&E at the moment of getting COVID is enormous, so yes, it is deeply irresponsible advice.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I said this earlier about lentils but I'm not sure all this democrazy stuff is worth the faff.

Compared to every other power system it really is.

If there are any online lefties that genuinely don't think the big tech companies aren't going to swerve the banhammer towards them hard a. in the next few years and b. with zero pushback because the banned were presumably problematic then please PM me I have an exciting Sahara Sunset Club opportunity for you.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

kingturnip posted:

How is that any different from the other 700 times that a Tory Govt has flatly ignored the expressed will of Parliament in the last 10 years?
They didn't, it was Theresa May who started that off, there'd only ever been 2 (iirc) Government defeats in opposition motions ever before she started doing it every loving week, and they'd been kind of a big deal at the time.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that's just how it ever was, it's a very recent thing & fundamentally undermines parliamentary democracy.

E: I was gonna put a bit of a joke here about how maybe this whole parliamentary democracy thing wasn't that strong to start with, but otoh our constitution was probably among the most stable in world history until recently, but eh best burn it down if there's a chance of commie Corbyn getting in

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 18, 2021

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Vitamin P posted:

If there are any online lefties that genuinely don't think the big tech companies aren't going to swerve the banhammer towards them hard a. in the next few years and b. with zero pushback because the banned were presumably problematic then please PM me I have an exciting Sahara Sunset Club opportunity for you.

Mate, they already do this? Most Leftists online who do funny talking on twitter have gotten banned multiple times for doing things like "telling Elon Musk to eat my whole rear end" or calling a Conservative MP a "Slug faced damp hamburger". This has already happened, how the gently caress is someone so terminally online as posting on something awful not seen this already?

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

It's afraid!

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Josef bugman posted:

Mate, they already do this? Most Leftists online who do funny talking on twitter have gotten banned multiple times for doing things like "telling Elon Musk to eat my whole rear end" or calling a Conservative MP a "Slug faced damp hamburger". This has already happened, how the gently caress is someone so terminally online as posting on something awful not seen this already?

That isn't true though, posting lib-tier identikit meme owns is still absolutely allowed.

The closest example of what you're talking about is like The Serfs getting banned for functionally no reason? And yeah that's bad but are you genuinely saying that lib-left people are banned more than alt-right people are? That's an absurd thing to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Yeah this current online 'purging and censoring' is right wing posters having the rules actually applied to them rather than letting them threaten to beat someone to death for a political view and 'well who can really say if they had hate in their hearts?' as the response. Leftists on Twitter and other platforms get suspended or banned all the time because they said something rude (rather than violent or threatening) or, better yet, quoted someone else saying something horrible to bring attention to and got banned instead.