Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The only funny outcome of this convo is if VanSandman thought we were talking about Elisabeth Shue and trying to figure out what version of the Karate Kid we all must have seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Like Kurt Cobain?

bait taken friend. courtney killed kurt.

christmas boots posted:

Only one of these movies is good.

youre right and its demolition man

snergle has a new favorite as of 01:36 on Jan 18, 2021

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

snergle posted:

youre right and its demolition man

One of sly Stallone’s 9 good movies!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

oldpainless posted:

One of sly Stallone’s 9 good movies!

What are the other 8? Rocky, Rocky Balboa, First Blood... what else?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

oldpainless posted:

The following are good, or at least the films of Sly that I enjoy watching

The Party at Kitty and Studs
Rocky
Rocky Balboa
Rocky 4
Creed
Cobra
First Blood
Rambo (2008)
Demolition Man
Tango and Cash
Cliffhanger
Judge Dredd
Assassins
Expendables 2
Escape Plan

This list is objectively correct

There are 15, my mistake

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

christmas boots posted:

The only funny outcome of this convo is if VanSandman thought we were talking about Elisabeth Shue and trying to figure out what version of the Karate Kid we all must have seen.

I only knew about the kidnapping. In my defense, I was 12 when it happened.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

hyperhazard posted:

Yeah, I liked the new Unsolved Mysteries, but it's like an itch that can't be scratched. I'm fine with an alien encounter being unsolved and mysterious, or the unexplained death of a spy 30 years ago. I'm less fine with a teenager being recently murdered for being Hispanic and his killer remaining a mystery.

not to mention the fact that even when the paranormal wasn't being invoked, the old unsolved mysteries had a good knack for picking interesting cases where there was some genuine enigma to wrap your mind around that elevated it above other, more typical inquiries... like a murder victim apparently living a double life nobody knew about until the investigation that may have either caught up with him or may be totally unrelated, or a good old fashioned locked-room murder conundrum or some other truly unusual circumstance

like, you can't just have a case that's unsolved... you need some kind of mystery too

hard counter has a new favorite as of 20:30 on Jan 18, 2021

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Frankly I prefer Mysterious Mysteries of Strange Mystery.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

surprised they haven't rolled Jonathan Frakes out of bed to do a netflix reboot of that fact or fiction show that people have been making memes about for a little bit now.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

This was obviously the best of that style of show: https://youtu.be/N-9J2P4XZUo

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

hard counter posted:

not mention the fact that even when the paranormal wasn't being invoked, the old unsolved mysteries had a good knack for picking interesting cases where there was some genuine enigma to wrap your mind around that elevated it above other, more typical inquiries... like a murder victim apparently living a double life nobody knew about until the investigation that may have either caught up with him or may be totally unrelated, or a good old fashioned locked-room murder conundrum or some other truly unusual circumstance

like, you can't just have a case that's unsolved... you need some kind of mystery too

I noticed that a lot of the mystery / crime podcasts and YouTubers are trending this way as well: things that are mysteries in the sense that the answer is unknown, but they're not fundamentally mysterious. Crimes no one had been charged for, what does this weird tiktok mean, who is this odd Reddit user, etc.

Maybe we're just running out of mysterious things

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

nonathlon posted:

Look I'm not saying more people need to get away with murder, but there's an obvious supply problem here and I don't see a better solution, do you?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Beyond Belief was funny because a lot of the "fact" stories were well known urban legends and not fact at all.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Beyond Belief story that I remember was the one where a girl swallowed a jellyfish egg at the beach, which grew insider her, making her appear to be pregnant. Was it a true story, or am I telling you a fish tale? I'll reveal the answer next post.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

:f5:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

nonathlon posted:

who is this odd Reddit user

Well Maxwellhill is still silent, so it’s either Ghislaine or someone who took a break at the wrong time and burned the account when they saw the mob awaiting them.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Beyond Belief story that I remember was the one where a girl swallowed a jellyfish egg at the beach, which grew insider her, making her appear to be pregnant. Was it a true story, or am I telling you a fish tale? I'll reveal the answer next post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCT80HJWQ2A

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It was bullshit.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:aaa:

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

nonathlon posted:

I noticed that a lot of the mystery / crime podcasts and YouTubers are trending this way as well: things that are mysteries in the sense that the answer is unknown, but they're not fundamentally mysterious. Crimes no one had been charged for, what does this weird tiktok mean, who is this odd Reddit user, etc.

I think the more mysterious something is, the more people are interested in solving it. Things like the disappearance of Amelia Earhart or The Mary Celeste are still technically unsolved, but we have enough data to make an educated guess about what happened. A lot of the time, the mystery has already been solved years ago by researchers, but for whatever reason it never made headlines. The podcast Skeptoid actually does a pretty good job of hunting down some of the most famous ones, and he makes it interesting enough that you don't mind losing some of the mystery.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
When was it on TV? It feels very late 90's/early 2000's.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

late 90s to early 00s filmrise music :discourse:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

the_steve posted:

I mean, yeah, pretty drat cringey to be chanting "take it off" at her considering what made her famous in the first place.

Those shows are extremely wholesome and there were at least two full seasons of Masked_____ (not counting other countries' versions) that she no doubt saw before she agreed to the show.

Just because those words can be sexual doesn't mean they always are. This is like that King of the Hill episode with that guy saying That's what she said about everything.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
In fairness, I also chant it at cashiers when I hand them a coupon.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Those shows are extremely wholesome and there were at least two full seasons of Masked_____ (not counting other countries' versions) that she no doubt saw before she agreed to the show.

Just because those words can be sexual doesn't mean they always are. This is like that King of the Hill episode with that guy saying That's what she said about everything.

Wholesome? Those shows are peak celebrity tv cringe

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Josef bugman posted:

When was it on TV? It feels very late 90's/early 2000's.

1997-2002.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

nonathlon posted:

Blame the internet.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Nottherealaborn posted:

Wholesome? Those shows are peak celebrity tv cringe

For the American version at least, if not wholesome, then perhaps inoffensive? It’s like the lettuce of television.

If you compare it to a lot of other “celebrity judging” shows, the judges are always positive and encouraging, contestants aren’t on the show because they’re objectively awful, the “drama” is all playfully manufactured ribbing. The edgiest person to ever even judge there is Joel McHale, the guy E! used to pay to make fun of E!.

The most unforgivable thing about the show is that it gives a mouthpiece to Jenny McCarthy, but I think she and the producers know the gravy train will be over the moment she starts spouting off about vaccines.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I am offended by Lettuce! It has an equivalent amount of taste as an irish noevu riche horse stutor! Insolence in a cabbage is what it is.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Blue Moonlight posted:

For the American version at least, if not wholesome, then perhaps inoffensive? It’s like the lettuce of television.

If you compare it to a lot of other “celebrity judging” shows, the judges are always positive and encouraging, contestants aren’t on the show because they’re objectively awful, the “drama” is all playfully manufactured ribbing. The edgiest person to ever even judge there is Joel McHale, the guy E! used to pay to make fun of E!.

The most unforgivable thing about the show is that it gives a mouthpiece to Jenny McCarthy, but I think she and the producers know the gravy train will be over the moment she starts spouting off about vaccines.

That’s fair, at least it’s inoffensive generally. But it’s just so fake and shallow, more so even than celebrities on daytime talk shows.

Reminds me of the Bo Burnham bit making fun of the celebrity lip-sync show: https://youtu.be/yLNuqYgmwS0

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nottherealaborn posted:

That’s fair, at least it’s inoffensive generally. But it’s just so fake and shallow, more so even than celebrities on daytime talk shows.

What exactly is fake about it, do you think? The audience doesn't know who the singers/ dancers are.

Some of the costumes in Singer are emmy-worthy

It's a fun, harmless show. Not everything needs to be masterpiece theatre

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

The Bloop posted:

What exactly is fake about it, do you think? The audience doesn't know who the singers/ dancers are.

The intrigue in guessing which random celebrity is singing, the judges pretending to care about guessing and that they aren’t already generally informed and then pretending to be blown away when someone is revealed.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Bloop posted:

Yeah, I'm definitely in awe of the costuming at times. I don't watch it religiously, but I agree that it's harmless, and kinda fun to see some celebrities doing things you wouldn't expect.

I think Ice-T was one of the first masked dancers revealed :shrug:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Last Chance posted:

surprised they haven't rolled Jonathan Frakes out of bed to do a netflix reboot of that fact or fiction show that people have been making memes about for a little bit now.

I loved that show. I remember watching it with my brother on the Sci-Fi Channel over the summers at our grandparent's house. Just the right mixture of goofy and spooky, we had lots of fun trying to figure out which ones were "real" and which were made up for the show.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Do the judges on Masked Singer get a list of possible singers? ' Cause a lot of these celebrities are deep cuts. Still, it's pretty funny seeing a bunch of Gen Xers pretending to be starstruck by loving Ninja.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nottherealaborn posted:

The intrigue in guessing which random celebrity is singing, the judges pretending to care about guessing and that they aren’t already generally informed and then pretending to be blown away when someone is revealed.

You seem to be a cynic to the point of being pitiable

Some things are just fun to be fun and those judges are not all that good of actors to be faking the whole thing. Even if they were though, that has little bearing on the actual audience's experience

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean they are probably playing it up but if you care that deeply about trivial stuff like this

Man

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

grittyreboot posted:

Do the judges on Masked Singer get a list of possible singers? ' Cause a lot of these celebrities are deep cuts. Still, it's pretty funny seeing a bunch of Gen Xers pretending to be starstruck by loving Ninja.

A lot of them are people who have a show on the network or something else they're kind of promoting. The judges get hints.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

The Bloop posted:

You seem to be a cynic to the point of being pitiable

Some things are just fun to be fun and those judges are not all that good of actors to be faking the whole thing. Even if they were though, that has little bearing on the actual audience's experience

Sorry I offended you by answering questions about the bad show you enjoy :shrug:

I’m sure there’s plenty of bad shows you could say similar things about, but lmao that you’re mad about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You sound like the mad one here if you really care about that like your mime traveled from 2014 or something