Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Empress Brosephine posted:

Why do boomers hate renters and college kids so much

jealous that their dingdongs still work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Laterite posted:

The interesting angle is that it's farmland specifically that the Gates Foundation is snarfing up. They barely crack the top 50 of private landholders overall, but most of the rest are in grazing/pasture (which is indicative of a whole other set of problems) or timberland.

That is interesting. Presumably Gates is looking at the future of limited freshwater supplies and severe nutrient depletion in arable farmland and is expecting to leverage his capacity for.massive capital investment into big returns 20 years from now. That or he wants to be a literal warlord land-baron in the post-United States

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

They're on the other side of that transaction

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

they can either come to terms with the fact that the world is different now than it was when they were young, or they can reframe contemporary circumstances as a moral failing. Have you ever seen a boomer capable of self reflection?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

What's Gate's deal anyway? I get that he's a nerd who got extremely lucky, but it seems like most I hear about him is trying to do good stuff in Africa (including population control family planning/contraception) and 5G metalzone injections for mind control. Like, it seems like he's actually trying to not be a horrible person, but in they other hand

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

BonHair posted:

What's Gate's deal anyway? I get that he's a nerd who got extremely lucky, but it seems like most I hear about him is trying to do good stuff in Africa (including population control family planning/contraception) and 5G metalzone injections for mind control. Like, it seems like he's actually trying to not be a horrible person, but in they other hand

Bill Gates is a smart guy, if nothing else. And he was smart enough to realize early on that setting up interlocking "foundations" was an excellent way to protect your wealth and grow your brand.

If Bill Gates wanted to give all of his money away then why does he have more now than ever?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

BonHair posted:

He didn't just get extremely lucky, his parents were both partners in large law firms. If you have taken common core in school your school has taken gates foundation money. Citations needed did a good episode on the concept of benevolent billionaires.

https://soundcloud.com/citationsneeded/episode-45-the-not-so-benevolent-billionaire-bill-gates-and-western-media

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I'm pretty sure "getting born to the right parents" counts as lucky. In fact, that's like the most important step to financial success. And also really hard to do anything about.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Have you ever seen a boomer capable of self reflection?

My mom :shobon:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

He didn't just get extremely lucky, his parents were both partners in large law firms. If you have taken common core in school your school has taken gates foundation money. Citations needed did a good episode on the concept of benevolent billionaires.

https://soundcloud.com/citationsneeded/episode-45-the-not-so-benevolent-billionaire-bill-gates-and-western-media

That's a really unconvincing episode that doesn't really point to Bill Gates not being benevolent in any way.

Fame Douglas has issued a correction as of 19:10 on Jan 18, 2021

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lmfao I hate the internet

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BonHair posted:

Some billionaires may be smart enough to realize that the collapse of society would be bad for them too. Not as bad as it would be for everyone else, but still unpleasant and inconvenient.

Bread and circuses (and not having 18 sickly children) keeps the underclass comfy enough that they won't make trouble. Raising the floor doesn't meaningfully harm billionaires, and helps keep them safe.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BonHair posted:

the Gates Foundation does things that Bill Gates personally considers to be good things, in ways which Gates considers to be effective. this does not necessarily line up with the public interest. for example, the Gates Foundation is big into educational policy...but mostly in the form of pushing hard for charter schools and education privatization. this is especially true given the existence of tax deductions for charitable giving, which essentially give billionaires the power to decide what their tax dollars are spent on

additionally, there is typically a lot of waste in Gates Foundation philanthropy because Bill is a capitalism true believer who prefers to spend those charity bucks on "incentives" to private business rather than donating directly to the people who need it. so his agricultural philanthropy efforts have significant ties to Monsanto, his health efforts are openly partnered with big for-profit drug companies, and so on

there's also plenty of opportunities for self-dealing - the Foundation often donates to companies its investment arm holds stock in, or companies that Microsoft is involved with in some ways. there's other less direct stuff too, like the fact that the Foundation donated $80 million to the pricey for-profit private school his kids were attending

and speaking of investments, the Gates Foundation has enough invested that it makes more than it loses each year. not only that, but those investments are chosen for profitability without any regard to social or environmental impact, so the Gates Foundation is heavily invested in many of the bad things it claims to be fighting.

lastly, the whole thing is an expensive public relations effort. it's no coincidence that Bill suddenly discovered the wonders of philanthropy right around the time the DoJ was lining up a high-profile trial against his company, and now he's transformed his reputation from that as a ruthless monopolist to being the good billionaire who cares for the poor. and it doesn't just benefit Bill, either. it whitewashes private businesses with less-than-stellar reputations by masking their entry into new markets under the guise of a charitable project

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

That's a great summary.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

This is, astonishingly, not the weirdest most over-the-top animation about grocery stores I've ever seen. There's an incredibly dumb anime called Ben-To that I watched a couple episodes of when I was a dumb teenager. It's about customers having fist fights over half-priced premade meals in convenience stores. It's not very good, and I hate you for making me remember this.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Yes, thank you for that Main Paineframe, very informative and good post.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

This is just money laundering isn't it.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

hopefully they’re not selling tetracycline as i recall that’s one of the few antibiotics which goes off

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Slotducks posted:

This is just money laundering isn't it.

That would mean those zip ties are actual art, which is giving it too much credit imo

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Nonsense, zip tie fashion is about to take off with the conservative crowd. Get them now before they're gone!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Great post, thanks for explaining! I guess the short version is "regular capitalism things but not specifically hostile or malevolent". Which is pretty bad, but still better than the Kochs I guess.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

you do not gotta hand it to him

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

you do not gotta hand it to him

I have some bad news for you about how capitalism works...

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
edit: ^^Beaten

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

BonHair posted:

Great post, thanks for explaining! I guess the short version is "regular capitalism things but not specifically hostile or malevolent". Which is pretty bad, but still better than the Kochs I guess.

basically, yeah. I think he genuinely thinks he's doing some good alongside doing all those self-interested bad things, whereas kochs are just self-interested full time

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

BonHair posted:

idk, I feel like trying to undermine public school is hostile and malevolent

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

indigi posted:

idk, I feel like trying to undermine public school is hostile and malevolent

not if you are a market fundamentalist

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bedpan posted:

not if you are a market fundamentalist

Then your very existence is malevolent

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the biggest difference between gates and the kochs is that the latter are much more seriously political

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

V. Illych L. posted:

the biggest difference between gates and the kochs is that the latter are much more seriously political

I think the gates are trying to do genuine good for others as they see it, while the kochs only care(d) about their own power or mayyybe other .001%ers

This means that in principle the gateses can be convinced to do the right thing more frequently

All billionaires are evil though, obviously

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Fame Douglas posted:

That's a really unconvincing episode that doesn't really point to Bill Gates not being benevolent in any way.

citation needed, nerd

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

The Bloop posted:

This means that in principle the gateses can be convinced to do the right thing more frequently

still really lovely odds, though. you, forums poster The Bloop, are probably more likely to break Joe DiMaggio’s hitting streak than Bill Gates is to do The Right Thing

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

indigi posted:

still really lovely odds, though. you, forums poster The Bloop, are probably more likely to break Joe DiMaggio’s hitting streak than Bill Gates is to do The Right Thing

what do you mean, Bill gates has a 100% chance to die at some point

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

indigi posted:

Better start hitting the 'roids I guess

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

please knock Mom! posted:

what do you mean, Bill gates has a 100% chance to die at some point

His fortune and charitable foundation will continue though, being managed even more rigidly because now it is being helmed entirely by money managers instead of mostly by money managers who have to listen to Bill.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

The Bloop posted:

I think the gates are trying to do genuine good for others as they see it, while the kochs only care(d) about their own power or mayyybe other .001%ers

All billionaires are evil though, obviously

all billionaires do good as they see it, the issue is they invent new ethics to classify exactly whatever they're doing as "good"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Plank Walker posted:

all billionaires do good as they see it, the issue is they invent new ethics to classify exactly whatever they're doing as "good"

Not for others though.

I know it's a distinction without much of an effective difference, but many genuinely don't care about helping anyone less fortunate, even performatively

Gates doesn't strike me as a sociopath just a true believer in some dumb poo poo