Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Sydin posted:

Gavin was in an absolutely hosed position and ultimately I do think he was capped at how far he could go because the Federal government refused to play ball. However I think we can all agree he's handled the optics of it as poorly as possible: between the wine cave poo poo, the French Laundry, his praising of Door Dash as a model company that managed to bravely hang in there and turn a profit during COVID, etc he looks like an out of touch plutocrat who's mandating from on high restrictions that only apply to the rabble, and not to him and his wealthy friends.

I also think Gavin's image is going to suffer a lot harder in the coming months unless California cleans up its vaccination act fast. In two days he'll no longer have Trump and a GOP controlled Senate to bounce off of as a source of greater blame for California's woes.
He definitely handles his image poorly. Everyone around hear rants about the French laundry.
And I get it, it's pretty hard to feel good doing the right thing when the one telling you to do it isn't.
He is definitely in a lose/lose situation, but the image stuff is just stupid.

xcheopis posted:

California's covid action was also hampered by Californians.
This.
So many times this.
The image stuff gives people a reason to feel good about their lovely behavior though.

In lighter news, and as an example of what could have been. One of the suburbs around here had a program where they were paying restaurants to provide food for nursing homes.
Such a great idea!

Unfortunately, it was a federally funded program, and the town doesn't get reimbursed for over a year. They burned through their cash on hand almost immediately and had to stop.
So yea, I guess not being able to print money does limit things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Has there been any polling on the recall effort? I couldn't find any.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Last approval polls I could find for Newsom were in December and had him at over 50% approval. When Davis was recalled I think he was below 30% and that recall vote was still 55-45, so I think Newsom doesn't have a lot to worry about. I haven't seen any polling specific to this effort, but they've been collecting signatures since March and still haven't gotten the 1.4 million they need. They're claiming it's COVID's fault but I'd be willing to bet a lot of voters remember the last recall and don't want to go through that mess again. And then when you read their rationale for holding a recall election it's just the same old list of conservative grievances that they've been pissy about forever:

quote:

Governor Newsom has implemented laws which are detrimental to the citizens of this state and our way of life. Laws he endorsed favor foreign nationals, in our country illegally, over that of our own citizens. People in this state suffer the highest taxes in the nation, the highest homelessness rates, and the lowest quality of life as a result. He has imposed sanctuary state status and fails to enforce immigration laws. He unilaterally over-ruled the will of the people regarding the death penalty. He seeks to impose additional burdens on our state by the following; removing the protections of Proposition 13, rationing our water use, increasing taxes and restricting parental rights. Having no other recourse, we the people have come together to take this action, remedy these misdeeds and prevent further injustices.

All your favorites are here: Taxes! Water! Death penalty! IMMIGRANTS RAAAAAAAARGHGHGHGH! With special guest Prop 13.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I suspect he has less to worry about a recall and more to worry about a primary challenger.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

FilthyImp posted:

This is a hilariously obtuse rewriting of the national temperature for Gay Marriage at the time.

gay marriage, famously unpopular among the electorate of the city of san francisco

Rah! posted:

lol he didnt even grow up in SF he was a fancy Marin boy

wait you mean we could have had MAX WADE instead of this rear end in a top hat?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Took 6 days for Placer county contact tracing to get ahold of me after my positive test. And I look like a dick because I didn’t give out any contact info since I did it all myself 5 days ago. They’ve got a pretty nice web system that they use, but it didn’t let me log in because it wanted my home zip code, except they were using one from 9 months ago.

My daycare shut down for 10 days after we confirmed both our toddlers were positive :smith:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
stay away from Home Depot on North Sunrise in Roseville, I have to go there later!

stay safe, goon!

I've noticed again that every stupid not even that loving good restaurant is filled with non-masked dipshits that stare at anyone wearing a mask like they might be an anti-fascist infiltrator - so Placer county really deserves the worst.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Seph posted:

Yeah, too bad Newsom didn't press his magic "stop covid" button, he really hosed that one up. Maybe you could present an actual substantive argument against Newsom, with examples of things he could have actually done differently, rather than this drive by lower-case shitposting?

to start with, and as others have already mentioned, not being an utter failure of a leader by going out to the loving french laundry for dinner with his lobbyist friend and then giving the weakest loving excuse of "well the county wasn't under lockdown at the time". or at least not getting caught, by why bother even pretending to give a poo poo? people will bend over backwards making excuses for you no matter what, apparently.

but hey, let's try a few things on for size:

* not immediately OPENING 'ER UP in may while daily case numbers were still going up
* a statewide mask mandate before june would have been nice, i dunno
* continuing to try to OPEN 'ER UP resulting in us ping-ponging between lockdown stages every drat month (or worse)
* that stupid loving curfew
* actually enforcing quarantine periods
* actually taking action against county governments that defied the health orders like he threatened to do

that's just off the top of my head. yes, trump and the republicans are awful and made a loving mess of things. then again, i can't remember a time in my lifetime that the feds haven't totally loving botched an emergency response so i can't say it was unexpected and it certainly doesn't excuse california's government from dropping the ball or newsom specifically for being a spineless, triangulating piece of poo poo more concerned with his future presidential run than the lives of the millions of people he "leads".

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

defining and enforcing testing programs for essential workers would have been nice, so my er nurse and his coworkers weren't having to pay out-of-pocket for regular tests because the hospital wasn't doing it. but i guess that'd take money and, well, we're just so loving poor here in california. can't find two pennies to rub together. sad, really. nothing to be done without the magic money printing machines.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Keyser_Soze posted:

stay away from Home Depot on North Sunrise in Roseville, I have to go there later!

stay safe, goon!

I've noticed again that every stupid not even that loving good restaurant is filled with non-masked dipshits that stare at anyone wearing a mask like they might be an anti-fascist infiltrator - so Placer county really deserves the worst.

Ha, I do need to go there, but it can wait a couple weeks.

All the stores I regularly go to around here have 99% of people masked. It’s a pleasant surprise.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Oneiros posted:

to start with, and as others have already mentioned, not being an utter failure of a leader by going out to the loving french laundry for dinner with his lobbyist friend and then giving the weakest loving excuse of "well the county wasn't under lockdown at the time". or at least not getting caught, by why bother even pretending to give a poo poo? people will bend over backwards making excuses for you no matter what, apparently.

I agree! The French Laundry thing was very lovely and hypocritical, but that's not really relevant to how Newsom could have better mitigated the pandemic.

Oneiros posted:

* a statewide mask mandate before june would have been nice, i dunno

Also agreed, but considering over 90% of our new cases have happened since the mask mandate in June, I'm not sure how much of an impact that would have had.

Oneiros posted:

* not immediately OPENING 'ER UP in may while daily case numbers were still going up
* continuing to try to OPEN 'ER UP resulting in us ping-ponging between lockdown stages every drat month (or worse)
* actually enforcing quarantine periods
* actually taking action against county governments that defied the health orders like he threatened to do

So your position here is that you would have kept businesses locked down indefinitely? How would you deal with the millions out of work who aren't getting federal assistance? How do you actually enforce quarantines when the state has no money and counties aren't playing ball? Like, are you going to send the national guard and state troopers door to door to every restaurant in the state? You're handwaving away some pretty major issues here.

Also, just because the state has a high GDP does not mean it has infinite money to throw around. The state blew through its rainy day fund in the first few months of the pandemic and is now suffering a ~$50B budget deficit. You haven't really explained how you would get around this with no federal aid and all local businesses shut down.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'd add that the curfew wasn't completely useless since the 6pm closing time let grocery stores restock their tattered shelves, disinfect, and kept workers from an additional 4-6 hours of contact with the public.

Greg12 posted:

gay marriage, famously unpopular among the electorate of the city of san francisco
*National* opinion, fuckface.

For Christ's sake it's like you forgot that led to Prop 8 and poo poo.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

I'd add that the curfew wasn't completely useless since the 6pm closing time let grocery stores restock their tattered shelves, disinfect, and kept workers from an additional 4-6 hours of contact with the public.

the curfew started at 10pm and explicitly did not cover essential services like grocery stores

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Spineless shitlib succdem Gavin newsom was too concerned with :decorum: to declare California sovereignty and create, issue, and make use of an entirely new currency so that the state could have monetary autonomy from the feds.

Were a cool badass radical politics understander like myself in charge, this would have been already done.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i'm sorry, but if we increase the budget deficit by one more dollar we have to sell everyone in the state into slavery. them's the rules, i don't make them.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
Newsom probably could have added a bit of goodwill from the electorate too if he followed his own COVID-19 guidelines.

Imagine how much better it would have been if California had a governor following the same social distancing and isolation rules as everyone. Could even do a new personal youtube video every day to speak to regular Joe Californians and record his slow descent into madness until the loneliness overtakes him completely.

Instead though we got the French Laundry thing.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Still Dismal posted:

Spineless shitlib succdem Gavin newsom was too concerned with :decorum: to declare California sovereignty and create, issue, and make use of an entirely new currency so that the state could have monetary autonomy from the feds.

Were a cool badass radical politics understander like myself in charge, this would have been already done.

Honestly can't tell who in the thread you're mocking, which is very on-brand for CA politics.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Oneiros posted:

the curfew started at 10pm and explicitly did not cover essential services like grocery stores
My mistake, I was mixing up the COVID stuff with the BLM-related curfew stuff

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
California has a $200+ bn budget, you’re telling me newsom couldn’t have used some of that to raise an army and destroy the banks and the cops who get off on evictions? Pathetic!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I still support Gavin. Mainly because of Cuomo whataboutism.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Wicked Them Beats posted:

All your favorites are here: Taxes! Water! Death penalty! IMMIGRANTS RAAAAAAAARGHGHGHGH! With special guest Prop 13.
They can just change the name on the website and petitions to the next democratic governor and reuse everything, very cost effective.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i haven't been down it in a while but i fully expect i would see this written out on a sequence of billboards on i-5

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
This entire discussion is a pretty good example of why federalism is loving stupid, having a million little overlapping jurisdictions with different/similar powers makes it difficult to know who the hell is accountable for anything. It’s unclear as to who actually has power to do what so everyone punts on actually doing anything and blames different levels of government.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 19, 2021

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Last approval polls I could find for Newsom were in December and had him at over 50% approval. When Davis was recalled I think he was below 30% and that recall vote was still 55-45, so I think Newsom doesn't have a lot to worry about. I haven't seen any polling specific to this effort, but they've been collecting signatures since March and still haven't gotten the 1.4 million they need. They're claiming it's COVID's fault but I'd be willing to bet a lot of voters remember the last recall and don't want to go through that mess again. And then when you read their rationale for holding a recall election it's just the same old list of conservative grievances that they've been pissy about forever:

Frankly, those favorites are why I think Newsom is still doing an "ok" job. Not a great leader, but he's not doing as bad as a lot of other governors.

Bizarro Watt posted:

Newsom probably could have added a bit of goodwill from the electorate too if he followed his own COVID-19 guidelines.

Imagine how much better it would have been if California had a governor following the same social distancing and isolation rules as everyone. Could even do a new personal youtube video every day to speak to regular Joe Californians and record his slow descent into madness until the loneliness overtakes him completely.

Instead though we got the French Laundry thing.

This is how I really feel about Newsom. Instead, we still have cities running roughshod over the homeless and newspapers talking about despair coming from people who've fallen through the safety nets. A more left leaning governor might have done something about that but a right-leaning "business-first" governor would just say that this is the "will of the people". So the talk about Newsom being primaried is probably more likely, but he's got two more years to burnish his image.

On the other hand, it's pretty funny how local leaders were all like "Newsom is a terrible leader for putting orange county in with the rest of the southland and closing all of us up when we're doing fine, let us open up Newsom!" and today it's "STAY THE gently caress HOME PLEASE, ICU CAPACITY IS ZERO". The true reason why everything is closed is because of the pandemic, and the pandemic is getting worse because of assholes who don't want to wear masks, rather than a governor trying to keep it together with the resources he has, and trying to please the groups that he thinks are important.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I absolutely think Newsom sucks and could do so, so much more than he has. However, wtf is he supposed to do as a governor when states cannot deficit-spend, and he can't raise taxes without legislation and a 2/3 majority vote on it anyway? Hell, he can't even count on the judicial system to uphold his poo poo instead of siding with extremists (which is exactly what that "strip clubs are a first amendment right" ruling was teeing up).

He's a bad governor, but not because he didn't spend his way out of a pandemic.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

All these "but what was Newsom supposed to do???" posts are dumb. I don't know what Newsom should have done. If I did I'd be in a wine cave listening to Huey Lewis and the News and flexing in the mirror.

What I do know is that we're closing in on 1 in 10 Californians having been diagnosed positive for Coronavirus and that doesn't seem like the statistic you end up with when you're doing a good job.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Newsom could have built a team whose job it was to go into nursing homes and assisted living communities and administered the vaccine. We knew these communities were high risk since pretty much the start of the pandemic, there is really no excuse for having vaccines getting to the people we know need them the most. Building a team like this is well within the means of the California government. Instead they are now scrambling to get them to anyone just so they don't get wasted. Not sure why people would feel better knowing that other governors suck just as much and have botched this as badly as ours, I know it doesn't make the children of the people in our facility feel any better about their parents dying.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Maybe trump can take up residency and run against Newsom in the upcoming recall

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The most I can hope for is that Biden provides a clear view of what the heck is going on, and a path to predictable vaccine distribution so that more vaccines are going to fhe right people. And then Gavin can actually help direct the response at the state level.

Although as much as I would have liked Gavin to lead from the pulpit, I can see that there is too much cynicism to listen to any caution directly from him. "Good enough Gavin" will probably keep his head low until the next state of the state. Not like he doesn't have enough to do anyway.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Trump has lived in the collective american conscious for the past X many years and I can't wait until he's evicted and we only hear about him once every other week and not once per day if not per hour.

If he moves to California and actually takes up California residency then I hope the state spends a non zero amount trying to get him to pay California taxes. At which point he'll just move to Texas. They could use a new golf course!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Class Warcraft posted:

All these "but what was Newsom supposed to do???" posts are dumb. I don't know what Newsom should have done. If I did I'd be in a wine cave listening to Huey Lewis and the News and flexing in the mirror.

What I do know is that we're closing in on 1 in 10 Californians having been diagnosed positive for Coronavirus and that doesn't seem like the statistic you end up with when you're doing a good job.

Ya it smacks of "Oh you didn't like that movie? Well could u make a movie? Huh?"

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

sb hermit posted:

The most I can hope for is that Biden provides a clear view of what the heck is going on
:lol: Joe doesn’t have a clear view of what’s going on how can he provide poo poo?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

bawfuls posted:

:lol: Joe doesn’t have a clear view of what’s going on how can he provide poo poo?

he doesn't have a clear view now

I expect that to be remedied pretty soon after he gets into office

Joe doesn't have a magic wand but he can get things done a lot better than the guy in office right now

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Class Warcraft posted:

The part you're missing is that it may actually a good job statistic if all of your better-statistic options are getting scrambled by the feds and a RWM machine is convincing various segments of your population, including some LEO segments, that COVID is fake. A lot of options suddenly vanish when there's a threat of federal intervention due to simply being a blue state, or you're guessing at what a PPE/vaccine/whatever rollout could even be because you're getting contradictory information.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Kenning posted:

Ya it smacks of "Oh you didn't like that movie? Well could u make a movie? Huh?"

this is exactly what it sounds like, thank you

also like drat at least i'm not dumb enough to think that furloughing all the state workers two days a month to save 3% on the state deficit is a good and smart idea. newsom is certainly not unassailable here

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Still Dismal posted:

What would California’s currency be? Dollar? Peso? Maybe Reál to get some old school conquistador vibes? And which denomination would they put Norton’s face on?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

luminalflux posted:

What would California’s currency be?

Eighth

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

luminalflux posted:

What would California’s currency be?
Lessive is the comedy option.
or
Ashcoins is the realistic option, representing both the forest fires and the crematoriums working overtime.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

BeAuMaN posted:

Ashcoins is the realistic option, representing both the forest fires and the crematoriums working overtime.
Can we literally forge them out of rammed ash?

How about an hour bank where the system is hardcoded with a max of 4 digits.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

CopperHound posted:

Can we literally forge them out of rammed ash?
I don't see why not; we have plenty of cheap labor in the prisons who need "job skills". Of course there may be increased psych costs when they process ashes of their fellow prisoners.