Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Phanatic posted:

People don't build an aluminum plant because they want it to sit idle *not* making aluminum, and you can't base a shitload of workers' work schedules on "hurry in now, the wind just picked up and it's time to make some aluminum."

That depends on how much of a factor energy is in production costs, and the sun and wind aren't some mysterious unpredictable factors. Both have predictable time of day and seasonal cycles.

As long as we go down the path of building more renewables, there are probably going to be times when power is cheap - more so than is the case today. Something's going to pop up to exploit that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Both desalination and hydrogen electrolysis plants can be throttled reasonably quickly, if engineered to do so, with very few negative side-effects. They also don't require a lot of people to operate.

As we get more residential solar and smarter controls, we're probably going to see a lot of peak-shifting of loads that are amenable to being shifted.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

As long as we go down the path of building more renewables, there are probably going to be times when power is cheap - more so than is the case today. Something's going to pop up to exploit that.
Unfortunately, the one use case I've seen serious buzz around exploiting this kind of intermittent cheap electricity is ... crypto mining. :suicide:

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

To absorb excess energy generation. Until storage solutions are better, we're probably going to need to get better about shifting demand around renewable generation fluctuations. Maybe the better answer is aluminum smelting or hydrogen production, something relatively energy intensive that can be reasonably wound up or down.

The biggest consumer on the Australian National Energy Market is the Tomago aluminium smelter. It’s often a quick target for load shedding but a pot line that is shut down temporarily to shed load can’t do this for another few days, at a minimum, without the line being ruined.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I think the point is that it would be very weird to deliberately design a desalination plant that is not under a constant, known load.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Also it would be weird to build a desalination plant where the production of the water isn't factored into the overall water supply. If you don't need more fresh water than you have, why desalinate at all? And if you do need more fresh water than you have, it's not exactly optional to run the desalination plant.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Infinite Karma posted:

Also it would be weird to build a desalination plant where the production of the water isn't factored into the overall water supply. If you don't need more fresh water than you have, why desalinate at all? And if you do need more fresh water than you have, it's not exactly optional to run the desalination plant.

You run the desalination plant to soak up excess generating capacity as needed. The fresh water is dumped into a reservoir to be used when and as needed. Farmers can tap it for irrigation, sparing rivers for municipal supplies and fish.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Infinite Karma posted:

I would think California is a good example. They don't need desalination since they have roughly enough other water sources. But it would be pretty great if they weren't using those other sources so they should take all the "free" desalinated water that is available. So what is needed are desalination plants with relatively cheap CAPEX, minimal staffing needs and practical amounts of waste energy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Saukkis posted:

I would think California is a good example. They don't need desalination since they have roughly enough other water sources. But it would be pretty great if they weren't using those other sources so they should take all the "free" desalinated water that is available. So what is needed are desalination plants with relatively cheap CAPEX, minimal staffing needs and practical amounts of waste energy.

IIRC California is facing a drought due to lack of snow in the mountains, so actually they do need more fresh water.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

As far as I am aware, with Climate Change California is estimated to receive on average ~20% less perception.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Deteriorata posted:

You run the desalination plant to soak up excess generating capacity as needed. The fresh water is dumped into a reservoir to be used when and as needed. Farmers can tap it for irrigation, sparing rivers for municipal supplies and fish.

So you spend a whole lot of capital to build a desalination plant in order to subsidize things like growing almonds in places where it makes no sense to grow almonds?

This makes no sense. It would be less wasteful to "soak up excess generating capacity" in a big resistor grid. Or just paying someone else to use your excess power.

quote:

As far as I am aware, with Climate Change California is estimated to receive on average ~20% less perception.

California has a bunch of desalination plants under construction. Because they need water, not because they need to soak up excess generating capacity. Nuclear would be perfect for running desalination plants, but instead California uses fossil fuels.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 19, 2021

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Pretty much every coastal area could use more desalinization plants, because the entire country is slowly draining all the regional underground water supplies and that's a huge deferred problem. There's a lot of good uses for excess power generation, as well as bad uses like crypto mining, and desalinization would certainly be useful.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Kaal posted:

Pretty much every coastal area could use more desalinization plants, because the entire country is slowly draining all the regional underground water supplies and that's a huge deferred problem. There's a lot of good uses for excess power generation, as well as bad uses like crypto mining, and desalinization would certainly be useful.

https://twitter.com/smdiehl/status/1350876504713015296?s=20

You weren't kidding. :aaa:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

That's a great Twitter thread, thanks for sharing it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

Here in Australia there are definitely parts of the country where if we knew there was going to be lots of intermittent but basically free energy it might be worth doing something like that.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Phanatic posted:

People don't build an aluminum plant because they want it to sit idle *not* making aluminum, and you can't base a shitload of workers' work schedules on "hurry in now, the wind just picked up and it's time to make some aluminum."

Aluminum production may not be the ideal use case. In Saudi Arabia and Australia there's plans for ammonia plants that run on renewables. Presumably designed with high variability in mind.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Senor Tron posted:

Here in Australia there are definitely parts of the country where if we knew there was going to be lots of intermittent but basically free energy it might be worth doing something like that.

Australia is too busy trying to preserve their coal and Natural Gas exports.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/JavierBlas/status/1354086634346733570?s=20 :tviv:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Good.

https://twitter.com/whatisnuclear/status/1354810318497607681?s=20

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 28, 2021

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Noticed this study, which might be of interest to the thread. The main gist is modeling a least-cost resource mix to reach net zero (or net negative) emissions by 2050.

I was surprised that they found that preserving existing nuclear and gas capacity was found to be important, in that the gas generation gets dispatched less and less (down to about 10% capacity factor for combined cycle and even less for peakers) and it's cheaper to just offset the carbon by various other means instead of relying on pure battery storage or new nuclear or similar.

Existing nuclear was preserved, but new nuclear was only really build in the scenario of constrained land for renewables. Even then, the buildout wouldn't be for decades.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Nuclear will likely remain a niche or uncommon technology but we really need to stop it from being replaced with gas even if it's cheaper. Subsidize it but don't retire plants early and hell try to see if there's anything we're able to do make them last longer.

Is anyone well versed with the Keystone XL Pipeline? The pipeline is for Canadian Oil Sands along with drilling in North Dakota. Given what we know about renewables today and how they're even cost competitive without subsides what purpose does the pipeline serve? I'm asking because the type of oil extracted in the areas requires more input and quick search is showing a minimum of just $50 per barrel.

Here's the kicker, we know that we're likely to hit peak oil in this decade. If the Keystone XL was completed wouldn't it eventually become a stranded asset because to me it doesn't seem economical at all and a terrible investment.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Oil from those areas is already extracted and distributed, the pipeline will just reduce the cost of international distribution. So it would help the oil industry kick the can down the road a bit, but yeah like everything else the pipeline would eventually become unused once those sites became unprofitable. It's profitable for them to do it because they'll reap those transport savings for many many years

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

This is a cross post from the electrical thread. OP is curious about the regular voltage fluctuations he sees on his monitoring software. Specifically, he wonders if it's related to connected solar generation.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Well, what I'm seeing is this (today's Vp-p isn't as wide):

So I was wondering if there's something on the grid that does this, minus the zero crossing (e.g. a lovely inverter at some neighbor's solar panel feeding into the grid):

I know at one time some utility EE's posted here, curious if anyone had some insight.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Texas Power Grid is enjoying the weather: Wind is dropped, Gas is freezing and prices are skyrocketing.

Their Nuclear Plants, however, are chugging along.

https://twitter.com/HamWa07/status/1361375461826256899?s=20

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 15, 2021

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

It's almost like the dumb atoms gives no fucks about the weather :v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Wibla posted:

It's almost like the dumb atoms gives no fucks about the weather :v:

Yup. ERCOT's infrastructure is struggling though. Its Infrastructure Week!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Are there any structural engineers in the thread? What's the outcome for a city that isn't designed for continuous sub-zero temperatures like Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, etc.? I know that pipes break but could anyone give me a run down of what this looks like long term for a major metropolitan area?

The reason I'm asking because is that the entire US South Central is going to have put up with a much greater temperature variance which is one of the overlooked parts of climate change along with precipitation.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Texas Power Grid is enjoying the weather: Wind is dropped, Gas is freezing and prices are skyrocketing.

Their Nuclear Plants, however, are chugging along.

https://twitter.com/HamWa07/status/1361375461826256899?s=20

Note that the NRC reactor status page is only updated once a day, we'll see in a day or two if any NRC events were filed, but an ERCOT director said that some nuclear generation was impacted as well:

quote:

The extreme cold appears to have caught Texas’s highly decentralized electricity market by surprise. Power plants with a combined capacity of more than 34 gigawatts were forced offline overnight, including nuclear reactors, coal and gas generators and wind farms, Woodfin said. It’s not clear why, he added.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-15/winter-s-fury-unleashes-brutal-cold-over-u-s-with-more-to-come?srnd=premium&sref=vuYGislZ

I have to admit I'm always suspicious of these unspecified causes ever since this exact thing happened on the first weekend that ERCOT raised the price cap. It doesn't have to be full Enron level, just under-investing in expensive fossil plants knowing that if the cold brings it down you'll be reaping massive profits off your remaining assets would be enough.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Looks like Mexico is moving in the coal direction:

quote:

President Andrés Manuel López Obrador, popularly known as Amlo, has unveiled plans to buy nearly 2m tons of thermal coal from small producers like Rivera. He also plans to reactivate a pair of coal-fired plants on the Texas border, which were being wound down as natural gas and renewables took a more prominent role in Mexico’s energy mix.

Not only is López Obrador is betting big on fossil fuels, he is also curtailing clean energy.

The populist president has promoted a vision of energy sovereignty, in which state-run bodies – the oil company Pemex and the Federal Electricity Commission (CFE) – pump petroleum and generate electricity. Private players, which have heavily invested in clean energy, are relegated to a secondary role in López Obrador’s vision – while emissions and climate commitments are an afterthought.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

FreeKillB posted:

Looks like Mexico is moving in the coal direction:

Lmao: The fact that he's also curtailing Renewables....what an idiot. Its practically a bargain to invest in renewables.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Note that the NRC reactor status page is only updated once a day, we'll see in a day or two if any NRC events were filed, but an ERCOT director said that some nuclear generation was impacted as well:

I have to admit I'm always suspicious of these unspecified causes ever since this exact thing happened on the first weekend that ERCOT raised the price cap. It doesn't have to be full Enron level, just under-investing in expensive fossil plants knowing that if the cold brings it down you'll be reaping massive profits off your remaining assets would be enough.

Following up on this, looks like we did get a reactor trip at South Texas Unit 1:

https://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/event-status/event/2021/20210216en.html

quote:

"At 0526 [CST] on 02/15/2021, Unit 1 automatically tripped due to low steam generator levels. The low steam generator levels were due to loss of Feedwater pumps 11 and 13 (cause unknown).

"Auxiliary Feedwater and Feedwater Isolation actuated as designed. All Control and Shutdown Rods fully inserted. No primary or secondary relief valves opened. There were no electrical problems. Normal operating temperature and pressure (NOT/NOP) is 567 degrees F and 2235 psig.

"There were no significant TS LCOs entered.

"This event was not significant to the health and safety of the public based on all safety systems performed as designed. Unit 2 was not affected. Decay heat removal is being controlled via Steam Dumps. [Auxiliary Feedwater is supplying water to the Steam Generators.] Offsite power is in the normal electrical lineup.

"The NRC Resident inspector has been notified."

Unit 2 was not affected and remains at 100% power.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

Following up on this, looks like we did get a reactor trip at South Texas Unit 1:

https://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/event-status/event/2021/20210216en.html

LMAO, apparently this is happening a lot, and I think I know why:

All the machinery at Texas Nuclear plants, including the turbines, are open air

This is true for the Gas plants as well, so basically they are dealing with have to lose so much heat to the open air.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CommieGIR posted:

LMAO, apparently this is happening a lot, and I think I know why:

All the machinery at Texas Nuclear plants, including the turbines, are open air

This is true for the Gas plants as well, so basically they are dealing with have to lose so much heat to the open air.

This is completely normal for plants built in the south, both nuclear and otherwise.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
If I'm understanding the ERCOT price cap stuff correctly - which I may not be, I'm not at all in any of the industries involved - the only citizenry it impacts directly are people with variable-rate plans, right? Does it even impact all of those? What proportion of households are variable-rate?

The stuff I'm skimming seems to suggest that it's more of a concern for businesses than households, but this is something I've never had to look into, as a fixed-rate-haver.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
whether you have fixed or variable rates just determines *how* you pay, everyone is paying in the end, just for some people it'll be in the form of overall slightly higher rates spread out over the course of forever going forward.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I think the most ironic thing out of all of this isn't lovely politicians spinning this issue but things like the freaking Wall Street Journal putting this front and center as a failure of renewables.

For a business focused newspaper to say that renewables are bad investment? :wtf:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I think the most ironic thing out of all of this isn't lovely politicians spinning this issue but things like the freaking Wall Street Journal putting this front and center as a failure of renewables.

For a business focused newspaper to say that renewables are bad investment? :wtf:

The serious business types I know have considered the WSJ a rag for well over a decade now. Everything Murdoch touches turns to poo poo.

Most of them read The Financial Times now

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ah, I had forgotten he had bought them out. I will admit, I do find some of their reporting insightful but the editorial section is generally awful.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

This is completely normal for plants built in the south, both nuclear and otherwise.

In Florida and Texas, yes. Most other Southern plants have enclosed Turbine Halls.

Hell, Palo Verde, which is hotter and drier, has enclosed turbine halls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Seems perfectly reasonable for the rugged individual executives of Texas to think they don’t need to spend the money for some high falutin’ shed for their turbines.

I don’t know if there’s a “GridOps” thread anywhere, but I had to share this take. It was a reply to a friend of mine’s tweet. I don’t know the person and they’re identity isn’t important so I cropped that.

I know Texas is the big story, but last weekend’s snow and ice has thoroughly hosed the greater Portland area. PGE has over 200 miles of transmission line down. It was very hard for me not to reply “do you want power back this week or in a few years?”

This is the 2nd time in 20 years of living in the same house that we’ve had an extended outage, the previous time was in August during the fires.