Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

alg posted:

FoundryVTT has a pretty nice system going for it right now. You can import the data from OggDude's so your characters have all the data right in the VTT. It doesn't have weapon automation yet - you have to roll Ranged Light then do the math for damage. But that should be coming soon as they decouple from the Special Dice Roller mod.

I am moving my campaign here right now, it has so many good features that Roll20 and FG don't have, and its a one-time fee and self hosted. A win all around.

Weapons are automated now. You can import the entire SW-Adversaries site, giving you all the NPCs from the game in a compendium to drag and drop. in the next release, weapon attachments are separated so you can customize weapons in the game UI, rather than creating new attachments for everything.

The 3D dice plugin also supports FFG now too:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

alg posted:

Weapons are automated now. You can import the entire SW-Adversaries site, giving you all the NPCs from the game in a compendium to drag and drop. in the next release, weapon attachments are separated so you can customize weapons in the game UI, rather than creating new attachments for everything.

The 3D dice plugin also supports FFG now too:

I've moved my whole gave over to foundry and I cannot express how much better it is than roll20 in virtually every way.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
I just picked up FoundryVTT to prep for a Star Wars campaign and I'm loving it. I'm working on inputting careers, talents, items, etc into it and I'm real interested in being able to import an existing database. I saw the import from OggDude button, but what do I need it to import? And what's the SW-Adversaries thing?

I also picked up Dungeon draft to make maps with and with the Star Wars and sci fi sampler packs it's really nice.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Suzaku posted:

I just picked up FoundryVTT to prep for a Star Wars campaign and I'm loving it. I'm working on inputting careers, talents, items, etc into it and I'm real interested in being able to import an existing database. I saw the import from OggDude button, but what do I need it to import? And what's the SW-Adversaries thing?

I also picked up Dungeon draft to make maps with and with the Star Wars and sci fi sampler packs it's really nice.

Check this out:
https://github.com/StarWarsFoundryVTT/StarWarsFFG/wiki/Getting-started#importing-oggdude-data

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Suzaku posted:

PM me and I can walk you thru it.

edit: nm.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Yo, who else wants to play superhero Jedi in the High Republic? Going around with a laser sword killing space vikings in an era when everyone was actually not a fascist rear end in a top hat.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Thank you! That was exactly what I was looking for.

Are to there any good sources of ships and vehicles I can drop on a map in, say, dungeondraft, or do I need to roll those myself? I need to make docking bay, hangar, and garage maps.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Miska's maps are pretty good, I've got a friend who swears by then.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Covok posted:

Yo, who else wants to play superhero Jedi in the High Republic? Going around with a laser sword killing space vikings in an era when everyone was actually not a fascist rear end in a top hat.

Me but only if you invent a time machine because I have barely enough time for the one game I'm actively involved in.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Epi Lepi posted:

Me but only if you invent a time machine because I have barely enough time for the one game I'm actively involved in.

It dawned on me that I probably don't have enough hours in my lifetime to play every single RPG that I want to play, and that makes me extremely sad.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

RudeCat posted:

Miska's maps are pretty good, I've got a friend who swears by then.

I can see why. They even do maps pre-baked with light sources and everything for their patreon.

And I solved the bulk of my ships/vehicles problem, so I'm really off to the races.

Thanks for the help and recommendations, everyone!

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Covok posted:

This is the kind of Star Wars game I like, alongside Rebel/Republic troops stomping bad guys (smuggler/scum games are okay, but if you're not involving Jedi and/or fighting the evil Empire, you don't really need it to be Star Wars), but my group consists of one person who is way too into the aesthetics of the Dark Side and one person who'd rather be playing Firefly.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Covok posted:

I'd be down

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Dexo posted:

I'd be down

Maybe after April 15th when I am not drowning in bullshit tax work.

Unless they extend the deadline again. In which case, please ram a lightsaber through my chest and throw me into the core of an exploding planet.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Covok posted:

Oh is this an interest check? Because hell yes.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Are there any resources for a GM new to Foundry for this system? I have the VTT and have successfully imported all my Oggdude stuff but I am now lost.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

FishFood posted:

Are there any resources for a GM new to Foundry for this system? I have the VTT and have successfully imported all my Oggdude stuff but I am now lost.

Their github wiki has lots of stuff, like importing from SW adversaries, criticals, etc.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
Yeah the wiki on the side here will get you started https://github.com/StarWarsFoundryVTT/StarWarsFFG/wiki also in the Foundry Discord there is a Star WArs dedicated channel that is extremely active. The devs are in all the time and troubleshoot on the fly

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

FishFood posted:

There are also a couple of youtube videos specific to running this system. And a channel with just basic this is how you Foundry videos.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

just sharing a short demo video I made to show off some features

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=418RMk72p0M

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

alg posted:

Oh lol I didn't know you were a goon too!

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

alg posted:

Where did you find that rad hyperspace background?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Goddamn, that isn't helping with my itch to run a game...

alg
Mar 14, 2007

FishFood posted:

Where did you find that rad hyperspace background?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5W3afhgOlY

edit: also,

alg fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 31, 2021

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Rad, thank you!

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
EDIT: I see its in the alpha of the foundry build to switch themes! This looks amazing, thank you

Chairman Pow! fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 2, 2021

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Not sure where else to ask this, but I'm a huge fan/longtime DM of EotE, been thinking about dipping my toes into running a Genesys game so I'm not as married to the SW brand (want to brew my own setting) but curious how Genesys handles character classes since they were so indelibly linked to SW worldbuilding (thinking of the smuggler tree and the jedi tree etc); does the Genesys corebook (which I have not procured) offer advice on designing the class trees or just forego that in favor of "here's some generic trees, good luck?"

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
It uses a different system, a pyramid from what I recall, where you have various generalized talents and you build up (so two fives can support one ten point talent).

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

karmicknight posted:

It uses a different system, a pyramid from what I recall, where you have various generalized talents and you build up (so two fives can support one ten point talent).
So it doesn't do the "track a path to the thing you want" thing from EotE and just goes with 'build a pyramid'?

Are there tools for how to design what the different levels of effects do, or is it basically classless with players determining what each level's bonus is?

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 16, 2021

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.

Shrecknet posted:

So it doesn't do the "track a path to the thing you want" thing from EotE and just goes with 'build a pyramid'?

Are there tools for how to design what the different levels of effects do, or is it basically classless with players determining what each level's bonus is?

Genesys is very much a framework for homebrew. If you want classes you'll have to build them yourself.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Shrecknet posted:

The pyramid works pretty well, requiring players to continually go back to lower tiers of talents to either bolster existing ones or pick up new knacks in order to fill it in. You could pretty easily make some simple trees for your players, or at least pick out what you consider the primo talents for an existing "class/career" in your game. I've done this for my Star Wars games to represent a character learning something new without a full "commitment" to a new career.

If you're interested in making actual trees then you can look at the EotE trees for guidance or pick up a copy of the Expanded Players Guide that has more guidance on creating trees, but the bare bones of it is having tiers to your tree where each talent on a particular tier costs 5 x tier level. Then you can play with the positioning/connection of the talents to say something about the career.
If you're interested in making more of your own setting the Expanded Players Guide is a pretty great thing to pick up in addition to the core book, there's a lot of useful information in it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

hey i'm formulating what i want to do for a second act of an age of rebellion campaign i've been running and am picking back up; one thing i want is to have an emperor's hand as a recurring villain. anyone have ideas on how to run a force user NPC vs normie characters?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

StashAugustine posted:

hey i'm formulating what i want to do for a second act of an age of rebellion campaign i've been running and am picking back up; one thing i want is to have an emperor's hand as a recurring villain. anyone have ideas on how to run a force user NPC vs normie characters?

Is this someone you're thinking the PCs will actually throw down with at some point? Or are they more of a "force of nature" type opponent?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The plan is to introduce them as a "lost Padawan" ally then reveal they're manipulating things (I'm going for a conspiracy thriller sort of mood). I figure after several sessions they're going to get in a fight, the characters have already done one campaign so they've got a good chunk of XP under their belt and an Emperor's Hand feels like an enemy an elite Rebel cell should be able to take on if they have to

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hey, some friends asked if I could dm a Star Wars campaign for them. I have experience with 2nd edition through 5th edition d&d but some of them have only played 5th edition and are kinda tabletop newbies. What's the learning curve like? I think I would have a lot of fun with this, but don't want to throw them into the deep end with a system that puts a lot of focus on character builds/combat.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Fruits of the sea posted:

Hey, some friends asked if I could dm a Star Wars campaign for them. I have experience with 2nd edition through 5th edition d&d but some of them have only played 5th edition and are kinda tabletop newbies. What's the learning curve like? I think I would have a lot of fun with this, but don't want to throw them into the deep end with a system that puts a lot of focus on character builds/combat.

pick up the beginner game for AoR or Edge of the Empire, they are super newbie friendly. The game is about as complex as 5E, imo.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Excellent, thanks!

Only issue now is figuring out how to get sourcebooks in Scandinavia, doesn't look like there have been any printings since it was first released.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
The Edge of the Empire one is more fun imo. I think Fantasy Flight puts up free follow up adventures to all their beginner games, my group definitely played through the one for EotE and enjoyed it greatly.

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

I'm going to be running a "New Republic Commandos" type of game where the players are an elite special forces group who are gonna be going deep into remnant imperial space and using Age of Rebellion as my core book and I've got a few questions I'd be really happy to get some help getting my head around.

1: One of my players is absolutely obsessed with the idea of cranking out the highest amount of dice possible from as far away as possible. I want him to feel like a Cool Badass Sniper but I don't want the other players to just be obviated as one guy one-shots all the enemies from across the map. I worry that the second I put down a Rival or even a Nemesis they're just going to headshot them from across the map, or take out anywhere from 4 to 5 grouped Stormtroopers in a single good attack roll. Any tips on how to let them keep enjoying the character build they so clearly want to put down, but not take away the combat fun from the rest of the squad?

2: Does anybody happen to have any good maps of the Galaxy as of the timeline of The Mandalorian and all the new spinoffs, especially in regards to what may or may not currently be the New Republic or leftover Imperial Space? Even if fan-made or from legends that's fine.

3: Anyone have any advice on how Duty should be used in a campaign like this? I got my head around Obligation back when we ran a smugglers one-shot but Duty seems a lot less straightforward and I'm struggling on what it's supposed to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Fumbles posted:

1: One of my players is absolutely obsessed with the idea of cranking out the highest amount of dice possible from as far away as possible. I want him to feel like a Cool Badass Sniper but I don't want the other players to just be obviated as one guy one-shots all the enemies from across the map. I worry that the second I put down a Rival or even a Nemesis they're just going to headshot them from across the map, or take out anywhere from 4 to 5 grouped Stormtroopers in a single good attack roll. Any tips on how to let them keep enjoying the character build they so clearly want to put down, but not take away the combat fun from the rest of the squad?

The best laid plans go wrong etc. (and also I don't know this system well) but its nice for the party to give powergamers a teamwork-oriented objective that they can obliterate. Maybe the baddy is plugged into a souped up personal shield generator with backups that come up after a few seconds. The sniper gets to roll big headshot numbers and the rest of the team has to get up close and personal.

Epi Lepi posted:

The Edge of the Empire one is more fun imo. I think Fantasy Flight puts up free follow up adventures to all their beginner games, my group definitely played through the one for EotE and enjoyed it greatly.

Yeah, I was thinking that was the best match for my group. They are a little too chaotic to be rebels.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Mar 18, 2021