Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

John Lee posted:

Wait, y'all are getting yours filled, but mine from 16 hours ago was canceled because I was defrauding them? My salt returns with a vengeance.

Probably the same thing that wouldn't let me buy the on sale eshop money. i had to go through paypal to get it to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Finally got around to replacing my faulty joystick. Bought my Switch secondhand and the left JoyCon came with drift and a bit of the plastic housing broken off which presented a chicken/egg conundrum to my curious mind: did bashing it cause the drift, or was it bashed because of the drift? :iiam: It also felt a bit sloppy compared to the right one and L3 didn't work reliably. TBH it was only noticeable in a few parts of BoTW where fairly precise movement across a platform was important, or trying to use the solo Joycon for MarioKart, but it still bugged me a bit and looked like a cheap fix that was within my wheelhouse and available tools.

Not a terrible job, though a bit fiddly with the tiny ZIF connectors in an enclosed space at times. I'd say the only part that felt worrysome was unplugging the battery (remove battery first to get a better angle, pry low, from the back where the wires go in, you may need to use a small flathead screwdriver if your "small" spudger can't get in there).

iFixit's guide offered the tip "if you're having trouble prying it up, pull gently on the wires to free it". I knew this was a bad idea but did it anyways and as a result broke a bit of the top plastic of the battery connector off, which let the positive wire slide out. It could still slide back in but there wasn't much keeping it in place. I remembered I had a bunch of Sugru I'd never found a use for, and placed a teeny tiny blob of it on the top and let it cure overnight.

Popped it back in this morning, Joycon powered up no dramas and now I've got no drift/slop and L3 working reliably. :toot:

Been meaning to post these as well; for Christmas my partner found an Etsy seller* who made little wooden Korok's on sticks. She hid 10 of them around the house for me to find; I am legendarily bad at spotting stuff so this was a bit sadistic on her part (God knows where the last one is hidden...).

*store has since disappeared, I'm pretty sure Nintendo must have sent a C&D.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Joycon repairs are a hell of a thing to do at first, but once you get the hang of it you can do it with a blindfold on Forrest Gump style. I first disassembled one to replace my left stick - later I mastered it by putting this bad boy on:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

This is what keeps me from buying it. The gameplay loop is so blatant that just thinking about it makes it lose all charm.

I realize that's super reductive, but "Numbers get big" has always been a genre I avoid unless it's hidden within other trappings.
That's the thing about monhan though is that, the numbers don't really get that big. There's basically two tiers of gear and a really shallow gradient of goodness within each tier, so you aren't constantly comparing numbers and replacing gear like it's Diablo. You see a set that you like and you work your way towards crafting it and that's it, that's a set you could use for the rest of the game (or if it's a low rank set, at least until you find a high rank set you like)

At the extreme extreme endgame after dozens and dozens of hours they tend to introduce some kind of infinitely rng drop that's more lootgamey, but monhan endgame is pretty bad and I don't think many people bother with it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Yeah MonHun is more about learning the fights and making sure your armor doesn't have giant negatives to the monster.

Don't fight a fire dragon with armor that has negative fire

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

My first Joy Con repair went smooth as butter but my second left me with a broken battery and a ton of frustration. Worse, I repaired the left and then the right so I'm worried that only the right one was drifting since I never bothered to calibrate them.

I hope I never have to open the fuckers again.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

TheScott2K posted:

Joycon repairs are a hell of a thing to do at first, but once you get the hang of it you can do it with a blindfold on Forrest Gump style. I first disassembled one to replace my left stick - later I mastered it by putting this bad boy on:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I could knock out another one in less than half the time, it's a bit like working on a car (I spent like 4 hours doing my right strut, left one took 45 minutes). I've poked around in electronics and old camera lenses so I've got a little experince, but I'd still say I'm on the beginner end of the spectrum.

Procrastinating doing a case swap on one of my new 3DS XL's to resell it, that SNES one for the Switch has definitely tempted me. Is the faceplate on the Joycons white or is that just the lighting?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I could knock out another one in less than half the time, it's a bit like working on a car (I spent like 4 hours doing my right strut, left one took 45 minutes). I've poked around in electronics and old camera lenses so I've got a little experince, but I'd still say I'm on the beginner end of the spectrum.

Procrastinating doing a case swap on one of my new 3DS XL's to resell it, that SNES one for the Switch has definitely tempted me. Is the faceplate on the Joycons white or is that just the lighting?

It's just the lighting.

I will say the color of the face buttons - particularly that's it's just one and it's this purple that also extends to the dpad and +/-/home/capture - is somewhat disappointing. If I see SNES-authentic buttons that also do the concave thing for sale on their own, might go back in.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I bought a joy-con repair kit but I only managed to break them more.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
So I'm about two weeks into Ring Fit, and I'm already noticing an improvement! (I'm extremely out-of-shape, but not overweight...yet.) I'm already noticing that I feel more flexible, and I can now take the stairs without immediately feeling tired. Having sore muscles now feels GOOD instead of being painful and annoying. Every few days or so, I switch it up with thirty minutes on a stationary bike.

I do have a bit of an embarrassing question, though. It might be more of a medical question, but I kinda wanted to ask around before I bother my doctor with it (or go Googling and scare myself with "IT'S DEFINITELY A DEADLY ILLNESS"). After a few minutes in to Ring Fit, I start feeling really gag-y and I start retching a bit. I'm mostly able to work through it, but it scares my partner and makes him think I'm going to spray vomit everywhere mid-squat. :P

Is this due to me being a lazy goon, or am I perhaps doing something wrong? I've never been diagnosed with asthma, in case that matters. I've had some friends with asthma describe it as "your throat closing up", but what happens to me isn't lack of breath, I just start gagging/retching and feel bile rise up. The only other thing I can think of is that I smoke a ton of weed, but so does my partner, and it doesn't happen to him. Anyone else experience this, or should I just go ahead and message my doctor just to be safe?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

beer gas canister posted:

I just ordered a Nintendo refurbed Switch after years of playing PC games exclusively. What are the essential first party or Switch exclusives I might've missed? I've already ordered Animal Crossing, Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8. I'm not really into JRPGs or platformers.

Breath of the Wild is pretty much mandatory playing material on the Switch imo (fake edit: just saw you have it on your list, but I'd bump it to the top of said list if I were you, it's so loving good)

Seconding the recommendation of Mario Odyssey even if you're not into platformers, easily the best Mario game so far

Luigi's Mansion 3 is exceptionally well-polished and relentlessly cheeky, you'll be chuckling the entire way through

A Short Hike. I cannot recommend this game enough, it is perfect. Literally my only complaint is that it's, well, short - but it's also $8 and worth every penny.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

John Lee posted:

Wait, y'all are getting yours filled, but mine from 16 hours ago was canceled because I was defrauding them? My salt returns with a vengeance.
You're clearly a bot trying to nab these for SA Mart.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Given that the N64 turns 25 this what would be the odds that Nintendo releases an Atomic purple Switch/Joycons?

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Read After Burning posted:

So I'm about two weeks into Ring Fit, and I'm already noticing an improvement! (I'm extremely out-of-shape, but not overweight...yet.) I'm already noticing that I feel more flexible, and I can now take the stairs without immediately feeling tired. Having sore muscles now feels GOOD instead of being painful and annoying. Every few days or so, I switch it up with thirty minutes on a stationary bike.

I do have a bit of an embarrassing question, though. It might be more of a medical question, but I kinda wanted to ask around before I bother my doctor with it (or go Googling and scare myself with "IT'S DEFINITELY A DEADLY ILLNESS"). After a few minutes in to Ring Fit, I start feeling really gag-y and I start retching a bit. I'm mostly able to work through it, but it scares my partner and makes him think I'm going to spray vomit everywhere mid-squat. :P

Is this due to me being a lazy goon, or am I perhaps doing something wrong? I've never been diagnosed with asthma, in case that matters. I've had some friends with asthma describe it as "your throat closing up", but what happens to me isn't lack of breath, I just start gagging/retching and feel bile rise up. The only other thing I can think of is that I smoke a ton of weed, but so does my partner, and it doesn't happen to him. Anyone else experience this, or should I just go ahead and message my doctor just to be safe?

If there aren't any other noteworthy symptoms or weirdness going on that sounds like exercise induced GERD.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gumdrop Larry posted:

If there aren't any other noteworthy symptoms or weirdness going on that sounds like exercise induced GERD.

At a glance, yeah I'd agree on that

also if you look it up on WebMD it's definitely going to tell you it's incurable cancer

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I’ve got a specific itch I need to scratch and that’s a chill game with a reasonable (ie <50hrs) path to 100% completion that I can play on the couch without sound.

Contenders on my list are superhot, into the breach, mario+rabbids, and luigis mansion. Anything obvious I’m missing?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

nachos posted:

I’ve got a specific itch I need to scratch and that’s a chill game with a reasonable (ie <50hrs) path to 100% completion that I can play on the couch without sound.

Contenders on my list are superhot, into the breach, mario+rabbids, and luigis mansion. Anything obvious I’m missing?

A Short Hike is closer to 10 hours for 100% but is very, very good and chill.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

nachos posted:

Mario and rabbids plus the dlc will take you about 30-35 hours to 100% and you don’t need sound because it’s all just rabbids going blarglblarglblargl

It’s also really addictive and has surprising strategic depth and some good skill trees to work on for every character

The dlc is basically a second game, it introduces new characters and a bunch of new mechanics

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Geo Fixer posted:

Given that the N64 turns 25 this what would be the odds that Nintendo releases an Atomic purple Switch/Joycons?

I would peg it at super, super low. At least for the Switch. The internals are not really... Pretty. The inside of the back is a huge metal sheet, so you can't even see anything substantial.

For what it's worth I did buy Atomic Purple cases for my switch/joycons because I wanted this so badly. The joycons look great, and you can edit their memory from your PC so the switch identifies them as purple. As indicated above a translucent switch case is nearly useless though.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I slept on ring fit adventure and its actually surprisingly challenging. Its fun and quirky and I'm enjoying my time with it.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You're clearly a bot trying to nab these for SA Mart.

hey if anybody was grabbing these for SA Mart, PM me, I don't have any money but I have memes

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Oh, wow, I feel dumb, that makes a lot of sense. :doh: I do have some mild GERD, but I guess I didn't realize exercising could trigger it. Thank you!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

nachos posted:

Tangledeep, Fell Seal, and Disgaea are good for this, but the latter is not a short game. I'd go with Into the Breach first tbh

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Read After Burning posted:

Quite possibly unrelated, but one semester I had Tae Kwon Do as my first class in the morning. Wake up, bum a ride to campus, punch / kick. Want to barf.

Eventually I learned that I should drink water, despite not feeling thirsty, about ten minutes beforehand. More water than I'd want to drink were it not clearly so immediately helpful.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Should I buy Mario Maker since it is on sale?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

nah

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
yah

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's the best 2d Mario game which makes it the best Mario game so yeh

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

thehoodie posted:

Should I buy Mario Maker since it is on sale?

Yes. It's fun if you can find out how to find good levels because relying on the stuff the game does just leads to a ton of those block spam levels that are supposedly supposed to be therapeutic or something.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I love watching people play Mario Maker but unless you wanna make levels, I have zero tolerance for bullshit level design which is like 90% of what the levels are.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Nah you just need to find some good makers. I've played a lot more good quality Nintendo level and style stuff than garbage bs levels.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

TheScott2K posted:

This is dope af nice job

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Any suggestions for games that benefit from the pickup-and-put-down handheld playstyle? I originally bought the Switch intending to use it docked 99% of the time, but lately I'm really enjoying games that you play for five minutes and set down. Stuff like Mario 64, Captain Toad or Mario Maker. Play a level, get a star, take a few stabs at a tricky puzzle, set down the system and repeat the cycle in an hour, etc. I guess any casual puzzle platformer would meet these requirements, but is there anything in particular that fits the bill?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I bought a new SD card for my Switch. I guess nothing is preventing me from just shoving that in my system and redownloading everything I bought...aside from the time it would take. So I'm procrastinating, but I don't have long to do that since I need to have the card ready to go for when P5 Scramble is released.

Lester Shy posted:

Any suggestions for games that benefit from the pickup-and-put-down handheld playstyle?

There's Super Kirby Clash where you can do a couple of fights in a few minutes, but it's hard to recommend fully because it's one of those "free to start" games where if you're not paying real money to get apples, you soon need a ridiculous amount for how many you get for free. It is capped at forty dollars if you do spend money though, so it's not like you can spend half your paycheck on it.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Lester Shy posted:

Any suggestions for games that benefit from the pickup-and-put-down handheld playstyle? I originally bought the Switch intending to use it docked 99% of the time, but lately I'm really enjoying games that you play for five minutes and set down. Stuff like Mario 64, Captain Toad or Mario Maker. Play a level, get a star, take a few stabs at a tricky puzzle, set down the system and repeat the cycle in an hour, etc. I guess any casual puzzle platformer would meet these requirements, but is there anything in particular that fits the bill?

Picross is King

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

cheeseboy58 posted:

Picross is King
I’ve been playing that a lot recently and that’s a lot of bang for your buck. I haven’t even finished the first one and there’s what, six more?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Lester Shy posted:

A bit actiony by Lapis x Labyrinth kind of fits that. They're side scrolly actiony and very flashy dungeon looting games, all centered around sniffing around for chests and beating up swarms of baddies senselessly, to make all manner of gems, loot, points, and numbers go up Up UP! Missions will have you doing series' of 'floors' at a time, in a single run, but the time limit for each one is five minutes. So far I haven't run into anyone that requires a long session, but I don't know if there's a way to save mid run (besides just putting the Switch to sleep).

I nabbed it for :10bux: minutes after I heard about it (it was on sale at the time, lucky), and while I'm not blazing through it, it's great for a quick pick up and play.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Starlink actually looks kind of fun. Am I missing out on anything major if I skip out on the plastic toys?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Away all Goats posted:

Starlink actually looks kind of fun. Am I missing out on anything major if I skip out on the plastic toys?

Just the toys, and maybe some of the second wave ships and pilots? I believe the deluxe edition is cheap enough to give you everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

No no no, if you use holes or items to hold yourself in place, you can smack a rock with your shovel up to 8 times.

I don't recall the game telling me this.