Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Our lead game designer has taken his own life from the shame of not specifying the confirmation dialogue for 'new game +' in the original requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

Our lead game designer has taken his own life from the shame of not specifying the confirmation dialogue for 'new game +' in the original requirements.

And he was right to do it too. :hai:

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Two more months of crunch NEET.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
Fava Quest will turn out to be this universe's Star Citizen.

hydroceramics
Jan 8, 2014

Male Tears posted:

Favapunk 2077

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Male Tears posted:

But fava quest has QA

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Tohru's got that reverse midas' touch, this game gonna get cancelled or postponed indefinitely. Tohru would cry about it to his good friends at 2chan if he could express himself in under 20000 characters

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Delayed Life of a Certain NEET

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

wtf this is literally 2077

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Wake the gently caress up NEETurai, we have some natto to burn.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

So the original release date was in January? No wonder they changed it.

Wait, is January a crap month in Japan too? I am dumb.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Excellent! Now Tohru can get a tripcode and drop the info of the delay to solidify his e-cred on 8 chan!

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

Excellent! Now Tohru can get a tripcode and drop the info of the delay to solidify his e-cred on 8 chan!

Look, he's not leaking secrets, he's just doing viral marketing

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Brother Make posted:

There's probably a better translation for that, but it can't be helped.

This one is from some time back, but just curious, was the original shikata ga nai (仕方がない)?

I've always liked using "it can't/couldn't be helped" in English over similar ones like "it is what it is".

Always wanted that put on my memorial park bench plaque if I've got any family left with the money to buy it after I check out. Put my name and a reminder of futility on something useful where people can plant their asses, eat lunch, or take a snooze. No need for a useless engraved stone in a field. Park benches are cool and good.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

The Butcher posted:

This one is from some time back, but just curious, was the original shikata ga nai (仕方がない)?

I've always liked using "it can't/couldn't be helped" in English over similar ones like "it is what it is".

Always wanted that put on my memorial park bench plaque if I've got any family left with the money to buy it after I check out. Put my name and a reminder of futility on something useful where people can plant their asses, eat lunch, or take a snooze. No need for a useless engraved stone in a field. Park benches are cool and good.

I hate "it can't be helped" for 仕方がない because it's almost always used to translate that line, and it sounds super stilted compared to normal speech. It's one of those phrases where if you read lots of manga/anime it becomes super recognizable and turns into something akin to the Wilhelm scream. "A ___ such as this / such a ___" is another one that always sticks out to me.

So is "a certain ___" but that's in the thread title so pretend I'm fine with it

Puppy Doll
Dec 20, 2011

Hey everybody!

CodfishCartographer posted:

I hate "it can't be helped" for 仕方がない because it's almost always used to translate that line, and it sounds super stilted compared to normal speech. It's one of those phrases where if you read lots of manga/anime it becomes super recognizable and turns into something akin to the Wilhelm scream. "A ___ such as this / such a ___" is another one that always sticks out to me.

So is "a certain ___" but that's in the thread title so pretend I'm fine with it

It's more irreverent than the direct translation, but I've always thought "whatever, forget it" to sound way more natural while still conveying the same sense of resignation.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Puppy Doll posted:

It's more irreverent than the direct translation, but I've always thought "whatever, forget it" to sound way more natural while still conveying the same sense of resignation.

I wouldn't use "whatever, forget it" all the time, though. In English it's pretty much always disdainful to say that, whereas 仕方がない can be used positively or affectionately.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

So it's pretty much "Oh well." then?

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

The Butcher posted:

Yes

McGavin posted:

So it's pretty much "Oh well." then?

I understood it to be mostly an expression of non-surprise. Maybe something like "No surprise there."

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

"It is what it is" seems like a reasonable translation which is also a phrase regularly used in English.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The game must be in a pretty rear end state for them to push it another three months back. Strange that NEET didn't hem and haw over that.
Then again, maybe he didn't test the part where the protagonists dick keeps flopping out of their pants.

What year are we in right now abouts? Trying to figure out if releasing broken poo poo because it could get patched was a thing on consoles yet.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
Probably 2005-2007? He and his other NEET rival who never showed back up to work both had a DS

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

End of Page 26

I want to say thanks again to the Patreons.
Thanks to you, I was able to afford Photoshop, which has editable textboxes.
This has made making NEET far less tedious, so thanks!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Less...tedious...?

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Cool. So now with the power of photoshop you can easily translate one full page every day, right?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Lodin posted:

The game must be in a pretty rear end state for them to push it another three months back. Strange that NEET didn't hem and haw over that.
Then again, maybe he didn't test the part where the protagonists dick keeps flopping out of their pants.

What year are we in right now abouts? Trying to figure out if releasing broken poo poo because it could get patched was a thing on consoles yet.

Three months seems pretty standard in my experience for AAA games. All titles have internal release dates before public ones are announced, and often get delayed without the public knowing.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Aw man dude you should've just downloaded GIMP instead. I know it's not as feature-rich as Photoshop, but as far as NEET goes... it definitely suffices.

Hoping we get some sick lens flares out of this!

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Gimp sucks poo poo, but Krita is pretty good.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Idle Amalgam posted:

Probably 2005-2007? He and his other NEET rival who never showed back up to work both had a DS

Oblivion came out in 2006 and introduced us to horse armour and other poo poo so that places us in a time quite a ways from games being released as unfinished garbage. Makes sense that Bean Quest got pushed back.

Also, lol at there being goons who don't just pirate Photoshop. There are some very nice stripped down versions that don't require a gig of ram to run.

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Idle Amalgam posted:

The comic shows the date in the bottom left corner. We are currently in the very beginning of 2009; the story is probably around then too.

Shinmera posted:

Gimp sucks poo poo, but Krita is pretty good.

I am not a fan of GIMP. They also need a better name.
Krita is nice - but like everything else I tried, does not support anti-anti-aliased text.
Finding something that did was super difficult. Eventually I settled on Photoshop.

Lodin posted:

Also, lol at there being goons who don't just pirate Photoshop. There are some very nice stripped down versions that don't require a gig of ram to run.

I tried to use a free version. Photoshop CS2 has UI scaling issues I couldn't figure out how to resolve, which made it impossible to use.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
Pffft, details. (Good to know)

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

I don't think I've ever seen NEET that happy before.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Leroy Dennui posted:

Aw man dude you should've just downloaded GIMP instead. I know it's not as feature-rich as Photoshop, but as far as NEET goes... it definitely suffices.

Hoping we get some sick lens flares out of this!

lens flare isn't enough i demand neet anime

Hot Stunt posted:

I don't think I've ever seen NEET that happy before.

it's pretty wild, especially compared to doom neet, who even when he's happy he's p much cursed

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

The rightmost (first) panel is prime av material. Anyone elee considering using it?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

BigBadSteve posted:

The rightmost (first) panel is prime av material. Anyone elee considering using it? Bags'd it, it's mine baby!

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Brother Make posted:

I tried to use a free version. Photoshop CS2 has UI scaling issues I couldn't figure out how to resolve, which made it impossible to use.

Try running CS2 in a virtual machine. That solves most of the problems it has on modern environments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Heres a thing

Only registered members can see post attachments!