Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Fever dreams kick rear end

the ability to make any armor look like something from the same slot is very cool and good in AC:O

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

verbal enema posted:

Fever dreams kick rear end

the ability to make any armor look like something from the same slot is very cool and good in AC:O

:yeah:

Glamour/transmog systems for armor and gear should be a standard feature in games.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

RoboRodent posted:

Considering what she asked me was "please try to endure while I battle some random dude for control of your body and also your limbs are turning into snakes for some reason" I guess I did, yeah.

Congratulations on not being consumed by Typhon!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

RoboRodent posted:

Considering what she asked me was "please try to endure while I battle some random dude for control of your body and also your limbs are turning into snakes for some reason" I guess I did, yeah.

Well slither on out there and take back your life, snake legs!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Inspector Gesicht posted:

REmake is pretty much The True Resident Evil Experience. The only thing lost in the transition was this masterpiece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcF7E69C6Q
Sadly, this wonderful piece of video game music only appeared in one version of the PS1 game. The previous PS1 releases (and the Saturn and PC ports) used the original music, which sounds considerably less like farting clowns and actually fits a horror game.

Capcom hired famous deaf composer Mamoru Samuragochi to create a new soundtrack (i.e. have his assistant create it and take credit for it because he was a huge fraud who faked both his deafness and his musical talent) for the DualShock version, and this is what we ended up with. The guy who actually wrote Samuragochi's compositions is genuinely talented and most of the other tracks in the DualShock version are decent despite some weird instrument choices, so I have no idea what happened here.

DMorbid has a new favorite as of 08:35 on Jan 19, 2021

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My favorite is the BWUUUUMMMMmmmmm that starts it off. It makes you think this is almost going to be a good song maybe kinda, and then...

edit: I'm curious to know what it'd sound like coming out of a CRT and being read and played by an actual PS1. Some developers make their games' music to fit the console's limitations so that it "sounds good" there at the expense of sounding like crap on other platforms. Yoshi's Island is I think probably the best example, it sounds like absolute poo poo on the GBA as does the packed-in Mario game, because it just wasn't produced for that console.

Compare the GBA rendition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7L31evs8x8

To the real one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL5fbozc3kU

The GBA one is the best they could do with the new sound hardware, but it's not a very good recreation of the original at all. That muffled bitcrushing in the GBA one isn't from the 480p video, it's really like that in the real thing.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 10:46 on Jan 19, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

I just realized Sparta Kicking angry chickens is as valid strategy in Odyssey as it is in real life. Sadly you can't subsequently recruit them to your ship crew though.

You're lucky you didn't try this in Zelda.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

CJacobs posted:

edit: I'm curious to know what it'd sound like coming out of a CRT and being read and played by an actual PS1.
I got the DualShock version a couple of years ago and played it on an actual PSone hooked up to a CRT. The basement music sounds every bit as wonderful on original hardware.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thank goodness.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I've been playing Project Wingman (which is basically Ace Combat with the serial numbers removed) and if you're flying a two-seat plane your WSO (the person in the second seat) actually has a voice and a personality! She's a full-fledged member of the team and everything!

I especially love that you can occasionally hear her muttering to herself off-comms after she and your AWACS guy get snippy with each other.

Polaron has a new favorite as of 16:23 on Jan 19, 2021

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Similar to what Polaron mentioned about your co-pilot having some sense of personality... With Dirt 4's co-drivers, they have a few things they say while idling at the starting line, usual things like "If we can get a good position in this event, it will set us up with enough money to get some upgrades" but every once in a while you'll hear something more context sensitive...

So, when you're in the service area getting repairs done, you will see a little news ticker with things like "drone crashed into a car. Drone Pilot apologizes for the damages caused", "fans are getting reckless and are getting to close to the cars. Race Marshall pleading them to stay behind fences." or one where a racer gets pissed about something and has some choice words with the interviewer.

Well, one of those ticker events came up where a racer was pissed off about something or other... and my co-driver before the race said "Did you see the fistfight that broke out in the pit?!"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I enjoyed playing TLoU2 but it's such a hard game to compliment because it just, plays very well. It's nice that you have options to customize the difficulty in granular ways like how much health you have vs the enemies, how aggressively your partners are in watching your back and saving you from being grappled or assaulted by infected, enemy awareness, etc etc.

But one refreshing feature to it is being able to cause a scene by having infected and normal people collide with each other. I can't remember it ever getting to the point of like, Bloaters or the new type of them fighting people but there're a lot of fresh ones and Clickers fighting people and it's a real Resident Evil situation out there, people cannot handle fighting zombies in any regard, it's incredible that they managed to take over.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

But one refreshing feature to it is being able to cause a scene by having infected and normal people collide with each other. I can't remember it ever getting to the point of like, Bloaters or the new type of them fighting people but there're a lot of fresh ones and Clickers fighting people and it's a real Resident Evil situation out there, people cannot handle fighting zombies in any regard, it's incredible that they managed to take over.
It mostly happens in areas where they are reluctant to enter because they know it's an overgrown poo poo show. Like the basement in the hospital, they constantly talk about how they don't want to go down there because that's were people are killed but then Ellie comes along and forces their hand.

Watching people carefully sneak without making a sound and then throw a brick in the wall is fun though.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Der-Wreck posted:

Similar to what Polaron mentioned about your co-pilot having some sense of personality... With Dirt 4's co-drivers, they have a few things they say while idling at the starting line, usual things like "If we can get a good position in this event, it will set us up with enough money to get some upgrades" but every once in a while you'll hear something more context sensitive...

So, when you're in the service area getting repairs done, you will see a little news ticker with things like "drone crashed into a car. Drone Pilot apologizes for the damages caused", "fans are getting reckless and are getting to close to the cars. Race Marshall pleading them to stay behind fences." or one where a racer gets pissed about something and has some choice words with the interviewer.

Well, one of those ticker events came up where a racer was pissed off about something or other... and my co-driver before the race said "Did you see the fistfight that broke out in the pit?!"

Way way the gently caress back when we got our first soundblaster, I liked playing Links 386 and whacking the ball off course just so I could hear the caddy go "Looks like ya hit the tree, Jim"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alhazred posted:

It mostly happens in areas where they are reluctant to enter because they know it's an overgrown poo poo show. Like the basement in the hospital, they constantly talk about how they don't want to go down there because that's were people are killed but then Ellie comes along and forces their hand.

Watching people carefully sneak without making a sound and then throw a brick in the wall is fun though.

I think there're only like four points in the game that you can do that besides the epilogue but it was still extremely welcome.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
In Final Fantasy 14, characters turn their heads to look at whatever they are targeting.

In Secret of Mana, an enemy called Captain Duck casts a spell called Exploder on you. Before he casts it, he always does a little belly crawl towards you and then jumps back, and his cast animation is pressing a detonator.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Replaying Breath of the Wild, which is chock full of little things, but something I missed the first time through is that if you block an arrow with a shield and the arrow sticks, it'll get added to your inventory when you put the shield away. That's a nice little detail.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I ended up getting tired of AC:O at about 30 hours, but one little thing that I love was they avoided the whole "just follow the yellow line to the objective" thing that every other open world game does. You talk to the NPC, get some bits of information, and then you open up your map and go "well, its west of town and south of this cave. That looks like a cave, i'll start there."

They cheat a bit by having every island be pretty small so you can't get lost and every major location has a ? telling you that something interesting is there, but it really had me orient to the game world in ways that most games don't.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Lechtansi posted:

I ended up getting tired of AC:O at about 30 hours, but one little thing that I love was they avoided the whole "just follow the yellow line to the objective" thing that every other open world game does. You talk to the NPC, get some bits of information, and then you open up your map and go "well, its west of town and south of this cave. That looks like a cave, i'll start there."

They cheat a bit by having every island be pretty small so you can't get lost and every major location has a ? telling you that something interesting is there, but it really had me orient to the game world in ways that most games don't.

The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind did this as well. You were given directions to objectives and had to work your way there yourself.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I think you can turn that off in the settings, so it'd just give you an objective marker instead of describing where something is, but I like being able to opt into fun like that. When I'm on one of those quests where you have to look around, I try not to use Ikaros too much, because he can see much further than I can.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
All this asscred talk got me hankering for some darksouls chat

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

bony tony posted:

I think you can turn that off in the settings, so it'd just give you an objective marker instead of describing where something is, but I like being able to opt into fun like that. When I'm on one of those quests where you have to look around, I try not to use Ikaros too much, because he can see much further than I can.

While I like quests like that, it helps when the people who make the quest/map/whatever don't get East and West confused. Spent way too long scouring the mountains east of the Alrekstad in Valhalla looking for the first treasure map location before I just gave up and looked it up online, turns out I had already found it earlier because it was on the island to the west of the town, despite the map literally saying "East of Alrekstad".

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Vic posted:

All this asscred talk got me hankering for some darksouls chat

it’s the best game op

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Randalor posted:

While I like quests like that, it helps when the people who make the quest/map/whatever don't get East and West confused. Spent way too long scouring the mountains east of the Alrekstad in Valhalla looking for the first treasure map location before I just gave up and looked it up online, turns out I had already found it earlier because it was on the island to the west of the town, despite the map literally saying "East of Alrekstad".

Pretty sure there's a quest in Morrowind where something similar happens as well.

I like the concept, but it very much relies on good world design and having tools, whatever they may be, to help you navigate and puzzle things out. It's really easy to screw up and have players get stuck, so it's not surprising to me that objective markers and etc. are the default nowadays.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

John Murdoch posted:

Pretty sure there's a quest in Morrowind where something similar happens as well.

The first Shantae does something similar, but its game world makes a big loop, so effectively it tells you to traverse 90% of the game world to get to where you're going, instead of going 10% of the way in the other direction.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I didn't like the directional stuff in AC Odyssey as much, mostly because it was almost always the same format so it got kind of dull. It was rarely "Go down this road, take a left, then a right, then past the statue to Zeus", and was almost always "In [region], go to [landmark on map], then look to [direction]"

I turned on the map markers when I realized this. I am glad it's an option though, but little will approach the natural feeling of Morrowind, and how incredibly easy it was to get lost in that world, quite literally.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I thought the divine wind mechanic in Ghost of Tsushima was a clever way of waypointing without relying on a glowing line or minimap.

For those who haven't played it, you can swipe up on the PS4 touch pad and the wind in game would blow towards your objective, and you could set it to find various bits of treasure or missions and stuff.

I'm not sure it would thematically fit to many other games, but I certainly found myself looking at the world rather than a little corner of the screen like in other games.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Bogmonster posted:

I thought the divine wind mechanic in Ghost of Tsushima was a clever way of waypointing without relying on a glowing line or minimap.

Yeah, that was so perfect. I loved that it was a constant in the background, with everything else in the air (rain, leaves, etc) more quietly following the wind even when you don't manually create a stronger breeze.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Outer Wilds had a good take with map markers.

You could only put a quest-marker down next to a location you've already physically been too before. This especially especially helps when you're trying to backtrack to X in Dark Bramble, which is like the Lost Woods from Zelda only you fill your pants with poo poo because there are giant Anglerfish everywhere.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The first Shantae does something similar, but its game world makes a big loop, so effectively it tells you to traverse 90% of the game world to get to where you're going, instead of going 10% of the way in the other direction.

Pretty sure it was worse than that as going east like you're told does take you to the right zone, but to a dead end side of it with an unscalable cliff. They referenced the mistake in the next game too.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Outer Wilds had a good take with map markers.

You could only put a quest-marker down next to a location you've already physically been too before. This especially especially helps when you're trying to backtrack to X in Dark Bramble, which is like the Lost Woods from Zelda only you fill your pants with poo poo because there are giant Anglerfish everywhere.

Outer Wilds was one of the most terrifying games I played last year, and the Dark Bramble was only part of that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Outer Wilds nailed existential horror, Dark Bramble is the only planet that has anything actively hostile on it but the rest of the system is simply indifferent to your needs and whether you live or die. It's a big clockwork mechanism and if you get caught in the gears they simply grind on.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Playing Fenyx and the VA is so good. The narration banter between Zeus and Prometheus is great too. I’ve laughed out loud several times.

Also

Ares: “who could love a chicken. A god (Aphrodite) loving a chicken, that has to be illegal”

Zeus: “Definitely not illegal”

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I ignored the "tame wildlife" ability for all of AC Odyssey's main game, but suddenly when you can grab a helldoggo buddy to run around with, it's my favorite thing. The only downside is that you can't actually pet them to reward their devotion.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

World War Mammories posted:

it’s the best game op

drat right it is :eng101:

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

In Secret of Mana, an enemy called Captain Duck casts a spell called Exploder on you. Before he casts it, he always does a little belly crawl towards you and then jumps back, and his cast animation is pressing a detonator.

Speaking of SoM, spells level up after you cast them enough times, increasing the power/duration of the spell but also changing the spell's animation at certain levels. So, spells that start out flinging tiny gem shards or a few fireballs eventually turn into multiple giant crystal shards slamming into the target(s) or a fire dragon burning the target(s) by slithering and coiling around them. It's a simple way to encourage the player to power up multiple spells rather than just sticking with an element or two.

Also, there are fist/knuckle weapons where along with basic punches and kicks they occasionally allow you to get your grappler on and grab an enemy then dump them on their head.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I love how Yakuza games have a running gag of people spying each other by conspicuously peeking around corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4pDQGMJSFk

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Doc M posted:

I got the DualShock version a couple of years ago and played it on an actual PSone hooked up to a CRT. The basement music sounds every bit as wonderful on original hardware.

One theory is that they just hosed up and selected the wrong instrument. Here's what it sounds like it you replace the trumpet with something else.

https://youtu.be/9oByTUQjCFg

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

rydiafan posted:

One theory is that they just hosed up and selected the wrong instrument. Here's what it sounds like it you replace the trumpet with something else.

https://youtu.be/9oByTUQjCFg

Ha, that's awesome. I've heard the original somewhere out of context as some kind of intentionally-bad "fail" music, but didn't know the story behind it. I could definitely hear it as disconcertingly creepy with the other instrumentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Dyson Sphere Program is a Good Game, and it's things like this that make me love it even more. In Factorio, something like this would require a few underground belts to cross the others. Not here; I can just go vertical like in Satisfactory and go over the other belts then back down. There's even two splitter variants that make it easier (one with the upper level in line, one with it at a 90 degree angle).

Why, yes, my mecha is standing on one of the splitters. Factory parkour is cool and fun.