Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I don't have much to add vis a vis the specifics of the game but I can say that being in a multiplayer game with two other friends and being vassals under a king is a really fun time. Also, being on acid for the entire thing is an excellent addition to and it makes all the lines and colors on the map extremely fun to perceive. Those are my two recommendations to playing the video game Crusader Kings 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Two questions:

1. How much war is too much? As soon as I have enough prestige to go to war to push a claim, is it too early? Leading into the second question..
2. How much minimum prestige should I leave in the bank?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
At the very least I check to make sure I will have enough banked Prestige to be able to afford to call upon the allies that I may need to win the war. Don't forget that :v:

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I find that the real challenge is being able to exert enough control over counties to make the conquest worth it, and pacifying counties can take a lot of time. Even with a good marshall, it can take a decade to bring one county from 0 to 100 control. Expanding too fast means you'll acquire land but you won't get much out of it since levies and taxes take a huge hit with low control. And you'll have peasant factions constantly popping up, though that isn't usually a big deal.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

chaosapiant posted:

Two questions:

1. How much war is too much? As soon as I have enough prestige to go to war to push a claim, is it too early? Leading into the second question..
2. How much minimum prestige should I leave in the bank?

1. You'll know you have too much war when you're bankrupt. If you think you can win, push that action. Peasants hate it (your counties get an At War penalty unless you have the Warmonger Tenet or some similar) but they're peasants so screw 'em.
2. However much you need to call your allies and no more. If you don't need allies, zero. Prestige is meant to be spent (though once you get a couple titles/king level you'll basically never be able to spend it all). Levels of fame are a slightly different thing, fame levels give you passive relationship bonuses that help keep your realm pacified, and losing those (by breaking alliances and truces) can potentially destabilize your realm. But losing this is real rare.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

PittTheElder posted:

1. You'll know you have too much war when you're bankrupt. If you think you can win, push that action. Peasants hate it (your counties get an At War penalty unless you have the Warmonger Tenet or some similar) but they're peasants so screw 'em.
2. However much you need to call your allies and no more. If you don't need allies, zero. Prestige is meant to be spent (though once you get a couple titles/king level you'll basically never be able to spend it all). Levels of fame are a slightly different thing, fame levels give you passive relationship bonuses that help keep your realm pacified, and losing those (by breaking alliances and truces) can potentially destabilize your realm. But losing this is real rare.

So it’s not even worth keeping a bit in the bank when those story situations pop up, and might need prestige to get out of? I’m doing tutorial island btw, if that helps at all.

Another question: what happens if an ally asks me to go to war, I say yes, but then don’t really do anything? Do I get a diplomacy/opinion hit or anything?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

So it’s not even worth keeping a bit in the bank when those story situations pop up, and might need prestige to get out of? I’m doing tutorial island btw, if that helps at all.

Another question: what happens if an ally asks me to go to war, I say yes, but then don’t really do anything? Do I get a diplomacy/opinion hit or anything?

It's only worth keeping money in the back to afford mercenaries in the event your stronger neighbor attacks you (or you want to attack your stronger neighbor) and maybe save up for the expensive decisions.

Most of the time, nothing except you not getting the prestige and opinion gain based on war participation, but an event might fire where you ally complains about you not doing anything. Even then, you can get out with just a minor opinion hit if you promise to actually participate in, like, a year and then the war either ends or you help out. I'm fairly certain if you don't you get the same penalty as if you refused the call in the first place, or possibly worse.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

How are u posted:

At the very least I check to make sure I will have enough banked Prestige to be able to afford to call upon the allies that I may need to win the war. Don't forget that :v:

You can always call them in, even if it puts you into negative prestige.

chaosapiant posted:

It's always worth keeping a few hundred banked if you can, but don't worry about it if you need to spend it. Prestige is a currency to spend just like gold or piety.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

Not really. The negatives are that your "ally" may lose out and that often, being at war prevents you from doing things like declaring your own wars or enacting certain decisions.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Being at war doesn't prevent you from declaring wars. Having your armies raised does.

The latter is an odd and perhaps insufficient restriction though given that we now have instantly mustering MaA.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

There’s an event where the ally demands that you help; it pops up after a few years of not participating at all. There’s an option to promise you’ll send guys, or you can send them cash instead.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
My Empire of Romagna is so big that there is a big civil war after every succession now. Just can't please everybody.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Various Meat Products fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 16, 2021

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Nearing the end of this game

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Any idea who this lady is? She's the daughter of Guillaume d'Ivrea, count of Besancon, and she's 14 in the 1066 start. She has a whopping 6 traits, which suggests she's a historical character, but I can't find anyone who matches. There's Bertha of Italy, who has the right family but lived a century before, and Bertha of Savoy, who's the right age but the wrong house and location.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Gato posted:

Any idea who this lady is? She's the daughter of Guillaume d'Ivrea, count of Besancon, and she's 14 in the 1066 start. She has a whopping 6 traits, which suggests she's a historical character, but I can't find anyone who matches. There's Bertha of Italy, who has the right family but lived a century before, and Bertha of Savoy, who's the right age but the wrong house and location.

I'd guess she's the one at the bottom of the list on his page, but even they mark her with a "(perhaps)". If that's her and she is Guillaume's daughter, she shows up in history as good old Alfonso VI's wife in 1095, and dies end of 1099/very early 1100 without bearing him a child.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
That chastity belt probably didn't help

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
That probably forces a player to take the seduction tree to boost fertility enough to build up a dynasty.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Some of the devs put personal touches on some of the more random characters right? Might be one of those

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Started playing as Rurik and things were going pretty well. I'd just snagged Kiev (which seems like the best province in eastern europe?) when f'in Rurik died of a heart attack.

Turns out my dumbass son was a murderer so he's got a big fat -100 with every vassal (including the guy he tried and failed to murder apparently).

Got was dec'd immediately and lost Kiev.

Appointed my heir to be the doctor because he's got solid int scores.

Wife gets pneumonia so of course this dumbass cuts her face off and she dies, welp.

A solid first month.

RIP

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 17, 2021

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

disaster pastor posted:

I'd guess she's the one at the bottom of the list on his page, but even they mark her with a "(perhaps)". If that's her and she is Guillaume's daughter, she shows up in history as good old Alfonso VI's wife in 1095, and dies end of 1099/very early 1100 without bearing him a child.

Cool, that looks like the right person, although it then begs the question of why they went to the effort of giving her extra traits when she doesn't seem to have been especially historically notable. Of course that might just be the limits of Wikipedia history, maybe they've ben looking at more interesting sources. None of his 8 other children have anything special going on in any case.

PittTheElder posted:

Some of the devs put personal touches on some of the more random characters right? Might be one of those

Not sure, the dev characters seem to have unique houses (often with silly mottoes), lots of inheritable traits and are mostly concentrated in Scandinavia for obvious reasons, but I suppose it's possible they just picked this random count's daughter to spice up :shrug:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

CK2 question as I dont want to Necro that thread

I started the tutotral as Alfonso and quickly realized I have no idea what I'm doing. Is there a guide or something that go overs who and how I should marry/kill/raise taxes first

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

CK2 question as I dont want to Necro that thread

I started the tutotral as Alfonso and quickly realized I have no idea what I'm doing. Is there a guide or something that go overs who and how I should marry/kill/raise taxes first

Not sure if it’s still a live thread, but there’s a Ireland/tutorial let’s play in the let’s play forum.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

As chaosapiant has alluded, the best way to learn the game is to watch a letsplay.

But my general advice to you is to not be afraid to fail. Unlike most strategy games, it's not a game that is most rewarding when you fully master all the systems. Approach it as a role-playing game where min-maxing is a way to kill the fun.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ilitarist posted:

As chaosapiant has alluded, the best way to learn the game is to watch a letsplay.

But my general advice to you is to not be afraid to fail. Unlike most strategy games, it's not a game that is most rewarding when you fully master all the systems. Approach it as a role-playing game where min-maxing is a way to kill the fun.

If by "the fun" you mean "your entire extended family and your three moron sons", anyway.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Is there anything in particular I should know about playing as a clan? I've never played outside of feudal Europe before. It seems like I want to have a good number of kids to help keep up alliances with my vassals to keep up our relations, though that obviously makes succession potentially more messy.

ElectronicOldMen
Jun 18, 2018

Anno posted:

Is there anything in particular I should know about playing as a clan? I've never played outside of feudal Europe before. It seems like I want to have a good number of kids to help keep up alliances with my vassals to keep up our relations, though that obviously makes succession potentially more messy.

Clan is probably the easiest start to the game. No matter your size you will want to be having as many children as possible.

Sure you can use them to keep your vassals happy, or you can just form alliances with half the world nearby and go to war with states ten times your size. Children exist entirely to marry to people with the highest alliance power.

Eventually you will go through succession but by that time you will be so large that reclaiming any lost lands won't be a problem, or more likely you will be glad to have succession lower your domain so that you can just keep expanding.

Best I have done is gone from a single province count to forming an empire in a single lifetime. Although to be honest once you realise how easy it is to game the alliance system and how terrible the AI is at it the game becomes a lot less enjoyable.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
When playing the men at arms counter game, do I need to match them one to one?

I really hope not, the deals NPCs get on men at arms is loving insane. A poo poo tier one county Welsh Count has enough men at arms that trying to match that would bankrupt me as the king of Ireland.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah the counter efficiency is scaled by relative numbers.

I don't think the AI gets breaks on MaA though (in fact they use very few of them). If you're having trouble with paying them check out the Stewardship tree, you can use Dread to get a 50% maintenance discount, which together with the myriad of other bonuses can get you free MaA.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't think the AI gets deals on MaA specifically, but it likes to hire mercenaries a lot, which can inflate their apparent numbers because mercs come with their own MaA regiments.

Also looking it up online apparently countering happens at a 2:1 ratio, so 100 light infantry can counter up to 200 heavy infantry at full effectiveness. I don't know if this is based on absolute numbers or percentage of capacity - i.e. if the the 50 heavy cav you get from the armored horsemen unit will counter 200 bowmen, or only 100.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

If you're confused about how the AI can afford things remember that for the most part all they do is slowly accumulate money while at peace without ever raising their troops. MAA are much more affordable if you never actually use them.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah the counter efficiency is scaled by relative numbers.

I don't think the AI gets breaks on MaA though (in fact they use very few of them). If you're having trouble with paying them check out the Stewardship tree, you can use Dread to get a 50% maintenance discount, which together with the myriad of other bonuses can get you free MaA.

Yeah, my impression is that the AI does not makes full use of them

During my whole game, while having all the MaA I could hire, I always had more armies than anyone my size, and usually more than than some bigger nations

By the way, is there any good MaA guides? About composition and stuff

Also, is there really no way of selecting which part of your levies/MaA you want to raise? I like how convenient the "raise all" button is, but as your armies get bigger, you wont be using them all every time.

Right now in my game I own a huge empire so 75K troops, but for most wars I dont need much more than 10K. And 75K raised will put me at -150G income, so is very unsustainable anyway

So every time Ill do: raise all at some rally point; merge all; select what I want (usually all the MaA and knights and 1 or 2 levies), dismiss the rest. Is very annoying

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Elias_Maluco posted:

During my whole game, while having all the MaA I could hire, I always had more armies than anyone my size, and usually more than than some bigger nations

Also, is there really no way of selecting which part of your levies/MaA you want to raise? I like how convenient the "raise all" button is, but as your armies get bigger, you wont be using them all every time.

Right now in my game I own a huge empire so 75K troops, but for most wars I dont need much more than 10K. And 75K raised will put me at -150G income, so is very unsustainable anyway

So every time Ill do: raise all at some rally point; merge all; select what I want (usually all the MaA and knights and 1 or 2 levies), dismiss the rest. Is very annoying

When you hit your raise all, your MAA are always raised first. So you can watch the number go up to a spot where you feel comfortable and then stop the raising.

Or. Raise only local troops which will raise all MAA and troops from nearby counties.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
That reminds me - if I raise all my troops in some random place, sometimes the stack is split into neighboring baronies. Is it because of supply limit or?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Dwesa posted:

That reminds me - if I raise all my troops in some random place, sometimes the stack is split into neighboring baronies. Is it because of supply limit or?

Yes. You can hold, I think , Ctrl and click raise all to ignore that and raise a single stack

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Trevor Hale posted:

When you hit your raise all, your MAA are always raised first. So you can watch the number go up to a spot where you feel comfortable and then stop the raising.

Or. Raise only local troops which will raise all MAA and troops from nearby counties.

Are you sure? The raise local usually only give me like 5K troops (depending on where I raise them), and I have 11K only in MaA

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Raise troops respects supply limit unless you tell them not to. So when you hit "raise all" it splits up the expected final stack based on supply. When you raise local, it raises enough troops to hit the local supply limit. I'm pretty sure raise local includes some levies in that total, but am not positive.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Composition depends on where you are, but pretty much all of them are good. You'll always want to dedicate at least one MaA slot to siege engines, probably two slots in the second half of the game.

Armoured Cavalry are expensive but amazing in the early game when you don't have buildings to boost MaA stats. 25% Pike and 75% Armored Foot works really well if you have access to the Barracks building. Regional MaA are usually pretty good too, the Outremer light cav in particular are crazy good. Since countering scales with numbers, you can pick almost any type, boost them to hell with buildings, and they'll kill everything.

I generally raise only my MaA, by clicking Raise All, then instantly ctrl-clicking a move order to stop the muster.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Ill try that

And drat, I love this game. Yesterday out of nowhere I noticed the Empress of HRE, her husband and some of her sons were.. naked.

First I thought it was a bug, but them I realized they were no longer catholics, but had converted to some heresy. And looking at it, I find it has "naturalism" or something. And that, besides being incredibly funny, also had a big impact in the game: it caused her to be hated by her vassals and so the HRE blob to finally break after a huge independence rebellion, after 250 years of stability

This kind of stuff is why I love CK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Elias_Maluco posted:

Ill try that

And drat, I love this game. Yesterday out of nowhere I noticed the Empress of HRE, her husband and some of her sons were.. naked.

First I thought it was a bug, but them I realized they were no longer catholics, but had converted to some heresy. And looking at it, I find it has "naturalism" or something. And that, besides being incredibly funny, also had a big impact in the game: it caused her to be hated by her vassals and so the HRE blob to finally break after a huge independence rebellion, after 250 years of stability

This kind of stuff is why I love CK

The HRE: Saw a titty and died