Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Leraika posted:

Yeah, that's where I first saw it too. :)

Awesome! Well then yeah I'll throw it in on Wednesday before the feature, I'm looking for something suitably terrible and full-length.

Sig by Heather Papps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Crocodile

is that the first of the bizarrely general info shorts?

like before this people just assumed that you knew as much as you needed to about springs or zinc or w/e?

BoldFrankensteinMir

Prof. Crocodile posted:

is that the first of the bizarrely general info shorts?

like before this people just assumed that you knew as much as you needed to about springs or zinc or w/e?

It's a car commercial. Companies like Chevrolet pushed huge amounts of "educational" materials to reinforce the American oil-and-autos-only monolith wherever possible. I'll save my saltier thoughts on the subject for a different space but the short answer is they're all car ads.

Heather Papps

hello friend

i am glad i can just google "aluminum" to satisfy my curiosity. also gonna make a banner or two when i get a good idea.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I feel like we need more aluminum propaganda. Big glass and big plastic have turned the backs of our smartphones into shatter and scratch magnets.

Bright Bart

I also feel like there should be a "What Movies Have You Watched Lately?". Obviously we're a classy bunch and it'd fail to get the prominence of the Books thread but still.

Goons Are Gifts

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Will be looking at all these suggestions tomorrow morning, thank you all again!

What do you think of these banner ads?

i was drawn here again by these so they are definitely working already

they're perfect

Bright Bart

Glutes Are Great posted:

i was drawn here again by these so they are definitely working already

they're perfect

I don't see any banner ads when logged into a Platinum account.

Not that I'm complaining.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
suggestion for if you ever choose to do an apocalypse themed movie month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXWJHqIPY0U

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World,_the_Flesh_and_the_Devil_(1959_film)

"The World, the Flesh and the Devil is a 1959 American science fiction doomsday film written and directed by Ranald MacDougall. The film stars Harry Belafonte, who was then at the peak of his film career. The film is set in a post-apocalyptic world with very few human survivors. It is based on two sources: the 1901 novel The Purple Cloud by M. P. Shiel and the story "End of the World" by Ferdinand Reyher."

Goons Are Gifts

Bright Bart posted:

I don't see any banner ads when logged into a Platinum account.

Not that I'm complaining.

If you have no ads on your account, in your user control panel in settings you can toggle to see goon-made banner ads on the bottom of the screen again. There are no actual ads running on SA any more, since Jeff killed that the second he took over, so it's save to turn that on! They are never popups or anything and always on a fixed size.
I mean, it can lure you into watching movies with your friends though, so careful with that :devil:

Bright Bart

Luvcow posted:

suggestion

I would watch this. Actually there are so many good thrillers available on YouTube the hardest part is finding one that fits a given monthly theme.

BoldFrankensteinMir

...thriller month?

Bright Bart

...thriller month?

Can't really go wrong.

Either you go "woah that's good" or you go "lol that knife is smaller than my bread knife".

But I still call a film noir on my bday in Feb.

Prof. Crocodile

Bright Bart posted:

Can't really go wrong.

Either you go "woah that's good" or you go "lol that knife is smaller than my bread knife".

But I still call a film noir on my bday in Feb.

Bright Noir February has a nice ring to it.

BoldFrankensteinMir

That's the second call for a Noir February and my only hesitance is it's black history month and noirs are the epitome of dead white people movies. If that doesn't bother anybody sure, we can do it. Just noticing the problem out loud.

Sig by Heather Papps

Pigsfeet on Rye

I'm meat on the hoof

That's the second call for a Noir February and my only hesitance is it's black history month and noirs are the epitome of dead white people movies. If that doesn't bother anybody sure, we can do it. Just noticing the problem out loud.

Perhaps there are exceptions, though I'm not that familiar with the genre.

https://www2.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/news-bfi/lists/10-essential-black-performances-film-noir-neo-noir

No Way Out looks interesting, as do Sweet Sweetback’s Baad Asssss Song and Coffy

It looks like we could maybe have both noir and black history

BoldFrankensteinMir

Okay I'm sold, I would not normally think of No Way Out for example as a Noir but that's the trick, we'll just use a wider definition. Smart!

Any objections to Film Noir February? I think that even fits a Valentine's Day special pretty well.

Edit- It calls it a "social noir", that's very interesting, that article is badass.

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 18, 2021

Sig by Heather Papps

biosterous

that sounds good and fun!

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Stoner Sloth

biosterous posted:

that sounds good and fun!

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Goons Are Gifts

I'm extremely down

Bright Bart

Additional proposal that during Noir Month we only talk using femme fatale and rugged male anti-hero phrases when in this thread.

(Not actually.)

Pigsfeet on Rye

I'm meat on the hoof

Bright Bart posted:

Additional proposal that during Noir Month we only talk using femme fatale and rugged male anti-hero phrases when in this thread.

(Not actually.)

That is the responsibility I took when I swore to be a goon. It is the first price I have to pay to become my ideal.

https://allthetropes.fandom.com/wiki/Anti-Hero/Quotes
https://www.wisesayings.com/femme-fatale-quotes/

BoldFrankensteinMir

If I get drunk enough during Noir month I'll post old college papers, it'll be really embarrassing.

So, I mentioned a special night this week for Anime, specifically the two Unico movies. Who's interested? And should we do it Tuesday or Thursday?

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

If I get drunk enough during Noir month I'll post old college papers, it'll be really embarrassing.

So, I mentioned a special night this week for Anime, specifically the two Unico movies. Who's interested? And should we do it Tuesday or Thursday?

I'm certainly interested! Thursday would be better for me.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Leraika posted:

I'm certainly interested! Thursday would be better for me.

Cool! Yeah since it's your recommendation definitely want you there. Tentatively, Thursday night midnight gmt etc! Unico!

I got a real treat for y'all on Wednesday, two really stinky eighties cartoon "features" that cheat the definition in different but equally BS ways. I'll give you a hint- have your best cat jokes ready!

Pigsfeet on Rye

I'm meat on the hoof

Cool! Yeah since it's your recommendation definitely want you there. Tentatively, Thursday night midnight gmt etc! Unico!

I got a real treat for y'all on Wednesday, two really stinky eighties cartoon "features" that cheat the definition in different but equally BS ways. I'll give you a hint- have your best cat jokes ready!

Fritz the Cat? I'm down regardless!

Manifisto

it neither features cats nor is it from the 80s, but I suddenly had the thought that we should watch cool world

not available for free on yt though, darn

ty nesamdoom!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Manifisto posted:

it neither features cats nor is it from the 80s, but I suddenly had the thought that we should watch cool world

not available for free on yt though, darn

I have a throwaway Google account and a vpn and a clean copy of Cool World

Manifisto

Kief Richards posted:

I have a throwaway Google account and a vpn and a clean copy of Cool World

neat! what a mess of a movie, it would be fun to rip on it

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Manifisto posted:

neat! what a mess of a movie, it would be fun to rip on it

It's so bad and yet so good at the same time

I've got a clean copy of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure that I'm holding onto too, because I have dreams of one day holding a regular movie night of my own again. Someday.

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas

Kief Richards posted:

I've got a clean copy of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure that I'm holding onto too, because I have dreams of one day holding a regular movie night of my own again. Someday.

I deeply miss in-person movie nights. Hooting and hollaring with old friends and new friends, becoming famous for various dips and treats... what more could being alive ever mean...

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

How Wonderful! posted:

I deeply miss in-person movie nights. Hooting and hollaring with old friends and new friends, becoming famous for various dips and treats... what more could being alive ever mean...

I will never again know the joy of eating a soft pretzel among friends, absolutely roasting every member of the cast of Empire Records

Heather Papps

hello friend

Kief Richards posted:

It's so bad and yet so good at the same time

we need to talk about bill and ted face the music

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Stoner Sloth

Heather Papps posted:

was it any good?

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Heather Papps posted:

Okay but I have a lot of opinions about it and they're a mixed bag.

BoldFrankensteinMir

So on closer inspection the two films I picked out are blocked in Spain. I usually ditch movies with any restrictions but I'm curious, do we have any viewers in Spain? If not, we might try sneaking these through. Thoughts?

Sig by Heather Papps

Bright Bart

So on closer inspection the two films I picked out are blocked in Spain. I usually ditch movies with any restrictions but I'm curious, do we have any viewers in Spain? If not, we might try sneaking these through. Thoughts?

My bougie rear end was planning to go to Alicante but I will re-direct the plane to Frankfurt, I guess.

(No not actually. But what kind of restrictions are only in place for Spain?)

BoldFrankensteinMir

Bright Bart posted:

My bougie rear end was planning to go to Alicante but I will re-direct the plane to Frankfurt, I guess.

(No not actually. But what kind of restrictions are only in place for Spain?)

Restrictions on 1980's cartoon cat movies, apparently.

Sig by Heather Papps

Prof. Crocodile

Restrictions on 1980's cartoon cat movies, apparently.

Done to spite Catalan, no doubt. Hit 'em where it hurts. Right in the Fritz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420

just watch that movie where the kid has hitler for an imaginary friend. ti's good 7/10

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!