Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

bicievino posted:

Technically with clips and straps you also use a slotted cleat to keep your foot from sliding forward. The toeclip doesn't really do poo poo except keep the strap in place and make it easier to put your foot in.

wait, really? so you still need special shoes with cleats? doesn't seem like there's any reason to use those on a modern bike then. i thought the remaining advantage of toe clips was that you could use your normal walking shoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I ordered some parts from an online bike shop store as they were the only ones that didn't explicitly mention they were not in stock. So it turns out the items were not in stock and they don't have an ETA for me. At this point I'm just going to sit it out and wait because me ordering directly from Asia on eBay isn't going to go any faster.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Objurium posted:

Playing SW Squadrons and biking have basically been the only things keeping me remotely sane during the past few months so I wound up painting my bike helmet lol.

Well, now you have to make the rest of your kit like a squadron pilot. That’s the law.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

wait, really? so you still need special shoes with cleats? doesn't seem like there's any reason to use those on a modern bike then. i thought the remaining advantage of toe clips was that you could use your normal walking shoes

unless you are training for L'Eroica there is no reason to use clips/straps, and this is from the guy who loves old bullshit.

that said you don't actually *need* cleats unless you're planning on like, racing- flat-soled shoes work OK, but you do get some foot movement with them.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I think the competitors for shorter track events still have them. Since those guys would pull their shoe right out of the pedal. But most of us aren't hitting 2,200 watts.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
trackies are weird and used poo poo like wood rims and skip-link chains into like the 1970s so who knows about them

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Track is cool!!!!!

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Could 2021 be the year to get into tracklocross????

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's the year of fat bike gravel track events, on your Specialized Aethos S-Works

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it's the year of fat bike gravel track events, on your Specialized Aethos S-Works

I only have an S-Works Turbo Creo SL Founder’s Edition, will that work?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I only have an S-Works Turbo Creo SL Founder’s Edition, will that work?

Only with a brand new Campagnolo Ekar groupset

e) i can't wait to see what poo poo I can't get in 2021 because it's still on COVID backorder. I just got another old bike that a homeless guy sold me and I really hope 6-speed chains aren't MIA everywhere

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 18, 2021

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Is there some rule in track that says your shoes cant be bolted directly to the pedals?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What about this system, but the cleat is completely sleeved so you have to plug in sideways?
http://aerolitepedals.com/index.php/pedals/titanium-road

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

serious gaylord posted:

Is there some rule in track that says your shoes cant be bolted directly to the pedals?

No, and it was a thing for sprint events a while ago. A cleat that had to be unscrewed instead of twisting your ankle to release.
I haven't seen anyone doing it recently since, realistically, straps are plenty for this. Straps have the added benefit of giving you something to pull up against instead of relying 100% on the stitching of your uppers to the sole.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

DELETE CASCADE posted:

Correct, there is no reason to use them on a modern bike.

If you just want to be able to use street shoes, flat pedals + fixie straps (thicker, velcro, more rigid material) are a way better choice than what comes on many hybrid bikes with a plastic toeclip and limp skinny strap.

Full racing toeclips and straps are 100% replaced by modern technology, and are only for cosplayers at this point.

Here are my shoes that I use with clips and straps, and I also put my pedals on my new bike since I hear flats are good for mtb.

Wood soles, leather outsole. Surprisingly stiff!

Nothin' like a bit of campy on a mtb, right?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

You can use flats or clipless on an MTB. I use clipless because I like the falls I take when I can't get unclipped, especially while standing. My partner likes flats because of the way the cleats gouge her shins and because she has an easier time losing control of the bike in the air

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

its fully spring temps where i live (for now)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Hah, your spring temps are my summer temps (where I live [for now])

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Eejit posted:

You can use flats or clipless on an MTB. I use clipless because I like the falls I take when I can't get unclipped, especially while standing. My partner likes flats because of the way the cleats gouge her shins and because she has an easier time losing control of the bike in the air

My wife doesn't ride much but she loves her pinned pedals when she does and whenever we hit an actual trail I always keep a pair of lovely plastic flats in the toolbox for when she inevitably tears her shins up so bad she tells me to remove them so she can throw them in the nearest river.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

bicievino posted:

Technically with clips and straps you also use a slotted cleat to keep your foot from sliding forward. The toeclip doesn't really do poo poo except keep the strap in place and make it easier to put your foot in.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

bicievino is talking about a different thing than what is on my bike.

Bidons by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

A simple hard plastic hook that bolts to the front edge of the pedal. My shoes are just regular shoes, no cleats or any other feature for securing my foot to a bicycle. There's not even anything on the bidons for a strap, they're fully intended to just add a prow to the bow of my pedal.

These pedals were bought new at a LBS for my previous frankenbike (which is sitting in the garage, sans drivetrain), this hardtail mtb came with big wide flat plastic pedals that did not have holes for the bolts to mount the bidons, so I just swapped over my 1-month-old spiky metal pedals with bidons. My test ride featured unintentional foot-lift off of the pedals on most upstrokes, I'm very used to riding a bike with this kind of hook.

Also, I keep seeing reinforcement of an idea floating around in my head, that there's a pretty big difference between riding a bike and racing a bike. I'm not interested in ramping up my physical fitness, or beating records, or testing myself or anything like that. I want to ride my bike and enjoy it, and get to work on time. Playing on the trails, stopping to photograph a cool bug, dodging angry birds. This means I have no interest in squeezing more efficiency or power or anything else out of my bike or out of myself. These bidons fit this approach very well, but obviously they're not something that you'd want if you're, say, training for an upcoming event. Notice the kickstand? Same thing.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Uhhh, what do you think the word bidon means?

Edit: to your other point - yes, there are a ton of ways to use a bike and almost all of them are :krad:. That said, I do think that even if your goal isn't fitness or KOMs or whatever, something like what you have to help you use your whole leg muscle while pedaling is nice. If you haven't tried them before, something like a fixie strap does the same thing, in what I think is a slightly more comfortable manner (and works equally fine with street shoes - maybe even a bit better since it won't scuff the toe of your shoe).

bicievino fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 19, 2021

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Joe Bidon

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Those zefal toe clips are pretty great actually, like a loose tether. MKS make some too.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Bike Back Better

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Bidoffs

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

This means I have no interest in squeezing more efficiency or power or anything else out of my bike or out of myself.

There's some range between being optimally set up on your bike and actively injuring yourself with the improper fit of the bike, but just make sure you're closer to the first end. Mostly meaning don't ignore a persistent or growing pain.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
/\/\/\ Oh, for sure, yes. My physical fitness is still improving, I haven't felt *quite* as exhausted at the top of the hill on my commute this week compared to, say, 2 months ago. I'm mainly arguing with the voices in my head, but out loud (well, by typing at strangers on the internet, but you know what I mean). Every morning there's a really stupid conversation inside my skull between the voice that sarcastically echoes every bad sports movie's slimeball coach "no pain no gain!" and another voice that just wants to lie on the couch and watch bad TV all day.

bicievino posted:

Uhhh, what do you think the word bidon means?

It's a new word to me, I thought it means a simple toe clip thing like what I have or one with straps, but without any need for a special shoe. Is that incorrect? I like the word, maybe I'm using it wrong?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

ExecuDork posted:

It's a new word to me, I thought it means a simple toe clip thing like what I have or one with straps, but without any need for a special shoe. Is that incorrect? I like the word, maybe I'm using it wrong?

Bidon is a fancy word for water bottle.

https://www.roadbikerider.com/what-is-a-bidon-in-cycling/

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I mostly hear british people and people who watch too much Eurosport saying it.
I don't think I ever heard the term used before like a decade ago. Same with calling a vest a gilet.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass
When he set the hour record Graeme Obree bolted his shoes to his pedals, to avoid what had happened in the final of the national pursuit championship when he pulled his foot off the pedal during his starting effort.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

going downhill skiing this weekend

havnt been in years but im going to try and hit some speed records :madmax:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Just placed a deposit on a Ripmo AF that should get in around May. Went for the SLX groupset and Fox Float fork and shock upgrades which put it ~300 over the Hightower AL build I was looking at earlier. After talking to my LBS and a few spots in Denver, trying to wait out the Hightower was just too risky so I think this is probably the best overall choice. Probably going to be the best frame and parts I'm going to get in 2021 so I'm pretty thrilled.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
In the 1970's Cinelli had a pedal that required you to reach down and pull a release to get your shoe out.

https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/cinelli-m71-pedals

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
A friend of mine made these for a while, mainly used at Eroica type events

https://www.facebook.com/CorsaCleat/

The stack height was a bit high, but other than that they worked well for me.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I started to ride with cycling shoes and cleats when I was 15 (I'm OLD).

One curious side-effect. I had totally flat feet before this. By the time I graduated college I had huge arches. Still do.

My bike when I was 19 for reference:

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Eejit posted:

Just placed a deposit on a Ripmo AF that should get in around May. Went for the SLX groupset and Fox Float fork and shock upgrades which put it ~300 over the Hightower AL build I was looking at earlier. After talking to my LBS and a few spots in Denver, trying to wait out the Hightower was just too risky so I think this is probably the best overall choice. Probably going to be the best frame and parts I'm going to get in 2021 so I'm pretty thrilled.

:toot:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

:( drat. I was really warming up to using it as a term for my "toe clips" which are not very clip-like (compare to, for example, an alligator clip holding a poorly-photocopied manifesto together).

Anybody got any other suggestions? I'd like a new word.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

ExecuDork posted:

:( drat. I was really warming up to using it as a term for my "toe clips" which are not very clip-like (compare to, for example, an alligator clip holding a poorly-photocopied manifesto together).

Anybody got any other suggestions? I'd like a new word.

What do you think alligator clips are?

Edit: the french word is «cale-pieds» if you want to keep using french.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
You're right, I'm dumb. Not alligator clip - that's for electrical stuff, right? Uh... bulldog clip?

Anyway, my poorly-expressed, poorly-thought-out point is a clip is something with a spring action to hold a pair of jaws closed. Paperclip - twisting the wire provides the spring force. Bulldog clip - coiled spring inside the hinge. Toe clip - no spring, just some plastic and maybe a strap.

edit: cale-pieds is good. I like that. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

they're where you put your feets on your fiets