Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

If she's ever starving in the field she can use her cinnamon bun hair as emergency rations.

Edit: Aw hell, that's the worst snype I've done... To provide some content, I really love how much Three Houses allows me to do strange horrible builds that should not be practical. Currently my team is Fortress Knights Flayn and Annette, Wyvern Rider Marianne, Warrior Mercedes, and a fairly reasonable Swordsmaster Bernadetta.

Jade Mage fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The hair buns really sell the whole “evil JRPG empress” vibe she’s trying to cultivate, tbh. At least given that it’s kinda easy to miss that her dress is basically an ornate suit of crimson armor like the primary antagonist of Mystery of the Emblem.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

All the lords are based on villain archetypes, it rules.

For more content, Edelgard is Arvis and also the Red Emperor(Walhart, Hardin), Dimitri is the Mad King(Ashnard Gangrel), and Claude is the Scheming Vizier(Travant).

Eimi fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 18, 2021

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Archbishops hate her! Learn this one weird trick to something something...

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I have long since been spoiled in the vaguest sense that Edelgard turns against the church in dramatic fashion but I haven't gotten to that part of the game yet. I'm hoping it's over something really granular that echoes the protestant reformation, like transubstantiation or the rite of second baptism. Just one huge rebellion of anime Lutherans and Anabaptists screaming about the injustice of indulgences from their armored pegasi.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

If you're on CF (or I guess SS), keep getting your supports up with her, after her C+ support she lays most of it out there. On VW it's not as closely scrutinized, while AM gives you the enemies take on Edelgard.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P83MiJMmjtk

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Eimi posted:

If you're on CF (or I guess SS), keep getting your supports up with her, after her C+ support she lays most of it out there. On VW it's not as closely scrutinized, while AM gives you the enemies take on Edelgard.

Thank you for the advice; what do any/all of those acronyms mean?

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Riatsala posted:

Thank you for the advice; what do any/all of those acronyms mean?

They're the names for the routes.

CF= Crimson Flower = Black Eagles post time skip, side with Edelgard
SS= Silver Snow = Black Eages post time skip side against her
VW= Verdant Wind = Golden Deer route post time skip.
AM = Azure Moon = Blue Lions route post time skip.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 18, 2021

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
CF = Crimson Flower, Edelgard route
SS = Silver Snow, Church route
VW = Verdant Wind, Claude route
AM = Azure Moon, Dimitri route

Since you haven't gotten to Edelgard's rebellion yet, you're probably still in White Clouds. CF and SS can be accessed if you picked Black Eagles (you'll know the choice when you see it), the other two routes lock you in when you pick your house.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

And if you want to side with Edelgard it's very important you get your support with her high enough and talk to her at least once a month in the monastery.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

if you aren't doing that anyway you don't deserve her

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Amppelix posted:

if you aren't doing that anyway you don't deserve her

:hmmyes:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
After much consideration on the "Edelgard did nothing wrong" front, I have decided that the ultimate answer is Edelgard did many things wrong, but she was ultimately correct about one thing: that making any real progress on fixing Fodlan's many injustices was going to require bloodshed, and even in the routes where she's the villain, her choice to initiate that bloodshed in the name of justice is what makes it possible for the protagonists to institute genuine reforms while keeping their hands conveniently clean.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think part of the issue is that it's not like Dimitri and Claude were just gonna sit on their hands if Edelgard didn't kickstart her war. Claude definitely wanted to break down the walls between Almyra and Fodland, and Dimitri... okay maybe Dimitri wouldn't really have done anything. Edelgard just was convinced nobody else would do anything forever if she didn't light the first match when she very well had an opportunity to foster something at the Academy where she could meet with major house leaders every day if she wanted to.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I hold the exact opposite answer: the Agarthans were going to start the war either way, and if she made any overtures to prevent it or move against them,including trying to rope in Claude or Dimitri, she would have been bumped off and they'd carry on with a more pliable figurehead. At no point did she have a better option than injecting her own ideology into the war that was going to happen regardless, while trying to maneuver into a position where she'd be powerful enough to move against them eventually.

She never had a choice in the matter, and therefore did nothing wrong, which detracts from her character. Agreed on the point that she's still the hero of the other route's stories, though as a noble sacrifice rather than a wiling catalyst.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 19, 2021

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
There's also the issue that Claude's plan to "break down the walls between Almyra and Fodlan" would have definitely caused a war even if the Slytherins all just evaporated one day and Edelgard lost all her drive for a just society: Fodlan has made it's stance towards peaceful foreign diplomacy pretty clear (to the point it's apparently even in the scripture according to Lorenz), and even if Claude managed to persuade the Alliance to go along with him there'd be no chance he could persuade the Kingdom, the Empire and (especially) the Church. Claude's 'break down the walls' plan just comes off looking peaceful because Edelgard began the violence it required before Claude had gathered enough hard and soft power for him to get to the stage where he'd have to start the violence. There's also his admission that he was, if not allied with Byleth, hoping to become supreme ruler of Fodlan himself, which is another thing that wasn't going to happen peacefully.

Another thing is that we have two pretty recent examples of rulers who tried the relatively peaceful reform route: Ionius IX and Lambert. Neither of their efforts at reform worked out well for them, and makes it pretty clear the status quo isn't going anywhere peacefully, and that those who benefit from it are completely ok with murder and genocide and all sorts of crimes if it means they get to keep their power. The only other way a peaceful change to the status quo would happen would be Sothis returning and Rhea handing over all her power to someone less nuts and willing to actually try and fix things, and planning on a Deus Ex Machina for societal improvement is a bad idea (and this would still require the Slytherins to all spontaneously evaporate as, as mentioned above, they were always going to start a war)

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 19, 2021

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

My initial thoughts about this game.

Harry Potter and The Game of Thrones.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Still chugging along in part 1

Every other C-level support: I don't really understand you, but I guess we have a lot in common haha

Felix x Dimitri C-level: gently caress you you monster, you tyrant, you piece of *poo poo*

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Riatsala posted:

Still chugging along in part 1

Every other C-level support: I don't really understand you, but I guess we have a lot in common haha

Felix x Dimitri C-level: gently caress you you monster, you tyrant, you piece of *poo poo*

Just wait until you play Black Eagles. Hubert x Everybody Else C Support: I will murder you if you dare cross Lady Edelgard!
Hubert x Ferdinand up to A support: I will murder you especially painful.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Cloacamazing! posted:

Just wait until you play Black Eagles. Hubert x Everybody Else C Support: I will murder you if you dare cross Lady Edelgard!

OK, I'm convinced that Hubert's "I'll kill you " shtick is a kind of flattery. Like, "I'll kill you but I'll have to be very clever about it because you're so smart and capable". That and he's jealous of anyone who get's Edelgard's attention.

e: Hubert is Reinhard von Littlegirl's Oberstein.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 19, 2021

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Cloacamazing! posted:

He never threatens Bernadetta and every support they have is incredibly sweet. :colbert:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Regarding Claude, there's also the issue of regardless of what he may say or believe, how much does Almyra really want a peaceful arrangement anyways? Because while the Sword and Shield of Seiros (Alois/Shamir) paralogue has the pirates just faking being Almyran raiders, in Dividing the World (Hilda/Cyril) we've got Fodlan's Throat being actively raided by confirmed Almyrans. Hell, the whole thing with Cyril is he was captured in a raid on Fodlan. While Fodlan absolutely has isolationist and suspicion of foreign culture issues, Claude's plan seeming to be "open Fodlan's Throat and everyone will come together in understanding!" has... problems.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Edelgard still has the issue of rejecting Dimitri's offer of alliance in Azure Moon. Whether it's pride or whatever else, it's a rejection that brings her no benefit since TWSITD were already knowledge. She's definitely not infallible in her plans about that.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

At that point it's trust issues

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
"Trust issues" is pretty much the defining trait of Edelgard's character.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lord Koth posted:

Regarding Claude, there's also the issue of regardless of what he may say or believe, how much does Almyra really want a peaceful arrangement anyways? Because while the Sword and Shield of Seiros (Alois/Shamir) paralogue has the pirates just faking being Almyran raiders, in Dividing the World (Hilda/Cyril) we've got Fodlan's Throat being actively raided by confirmed Almyrans. Hell, the whole thing with Cyril is he was captured in a raid on Fodlan. While Fodlan absolutely has isolationist and suspicion of foreign culture issues, Claude's plan seeming to be "open Fodlan's Throat and everyone will come together in understanding!" has... problems.

Meh. The Almyran raids at Fodlan's Throat are never really framed as anything more than skirmishes by warrior tribes who do it for cultural/training/bravado reasons. Even Cyril laments that its all just a game and/or tough-guy act that gets lots of people pointlessly killed. This is why he doesn't care about going back to Almyra in the first place. And it's quickly shown in VW that when poo poo really hits the fan that they can turn off that aggression when needed (and even become allies with the right leadership backing them). Nader isn't close to bloodthirsty and is less of a murderous monster than Edel or Dmitri.

While I agree that Claude's plan has inherent problems, considering the players at work, I think they're entirely internal to Fodlan and their isolationist culture and racism. The blood will come about from pushback from nationalistic groups within Fodlan, not aggression from the external parties invited in.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

Meh. The Almyran raids at Fodlan's Throat are never really framed as anything more than skirmishes by warrior tribes who do it for cultural/training/bravado reasons. Even Cyril laments that its all just a game and/or tough-guy act that gets lots of people pointlessly killed. This is why he doesn't care about going back to Almyra in the first place. And it's quickly shown in VW that when poo poo really hits the fan that they can turn off that aggression when needed (and even become allies with the right leadership backing them). Nader isn't close to bloodthirsty and is less of a murderous monster than Edel or Dmitri.

While I agree that Claude's plan has inherent problems, considering the players at work, I think they're entirely internal to Fodlan and their isolationist culture and racism. The blood will come about from pushback from nationalistic groups within Fodlan, not aggression from the external parties invited in.

That is how the Almyrans frame it. I am pretty sure the actual victims of said raids view it quite differently.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Edelgard is basically the Fire Emblem equivalent of Jeremy Beadle.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Hunt11 posted:

That is how the Almyrans frame it. I am pretty sure the actual victims of said raids view it quite differently.

I mean, sure. But the point in contention here was whether letting Almyrans visit across the border is inherently dangerous when it is pretty explicit that they're not just bloodthirsty savages.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

I mean, sure. But the point in contention here was whether letting Almyrans visit across the border is inherently dangerous when it is pretty explicit that they're not just bloodthirsty savages.

The point of contention is if blowing up the natural border between Almyra and Fodlan would lead to immediate warfare between the two.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It helps if the same person rules both sides of the border.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

Edelgard still has the issue of rejecting Dimitri's offer of alliance in Azure Moon. Whether it's pride or whatever else, it's a rejection that brings her no benefit since TWSITD were already knowledge. She's definitely not infallible in her plans about that.

AM's final map still has Faerghus thinking TWSITD are an Imperial unit until they bail.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
In AM you decapitate TWS without ever actually learning that they exist as a distinct group from the Empire which is actually kind of hilarious.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Well Manicured Man posted:

In AM you decapitate TWS without ever actually learning that they exist as a distinct group from the Empire which is actually kind of hilarious.
Unless you support Dimitri with Hapi, then he joins Hapi in her quest to wipe them all out in their paired ending. That is the only way for Azure Moon to acknowledge TWS as its own separate group. Via a DLC support conversation that is entirely up to the whims of the player.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

AradoBalanga posted:

Unless you support Dimitri with Hapi, then he joins Hapi in her quest to wipe them all out in their paired ending. That is the only way for Azure Moon to acknowledge TWS as its own separate group. Via a DLC support conversation that is entirely up to the whims of the player.

Well that settles it, I'm definitely using her on my AM Maddening run.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

AradoBalanga posted:

Even then AM still doesn't destroy Shambhala.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Prurient Squid posted:

OK, I'm convinced that Hubert's "I'll kill you " shtick is a kind of flattery. Like, "I'll kill you but I'll have to be very clever about it because you're so smart and capable". That and he's jealous of anyone who get's Edelgard's attention.

e: Hubert is Reinhard von Littlegirl's Oberstein.

Probably, I mean Linhardt & Dorothea completely no-sell his routine. Although Linhardt probably thinks that being scared is too much energy for one day.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Is it bad that when I found the chloroform-soaked-handkerchief the first person I checked with was Sylvain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Probably, I mean Linhardt & Dorothea completely no-sell his routine. Although Linhardt probably thinks that being scared is too much energy for one day.

Dorothea and Linhardt being just unflappable walls is pretty great to contrast against the rest of their house. I'm not sure Dorothea really has any bad supports other than Hanneman just because I don't want them to end up together.

She's a bit of a dick to Sylvain, but let's be honest, he deserves it.