Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Fame Douglas posted:

There likely is no specificity requirement, and pardons don't need to use any kind of set verbiage. And people still being considered guilty even after a pardon isn't universally accepted, either.

Burdick v. United States.

I mean saying "isn't universally accepted" what the gently caress does that mean? It isn't "universally accepted" that Hillary Clinton isn't a lizard person, that Trump isn't a freedom fighter battling the deep state and a satanic pedophile ring.

There's a lot of things that are facts that not universally accepted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

BiggerBoat posted:

How hosed are these people? NEw footage I haven't seen posted from the "peaceful" march on the Capitol.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2021/01/17/capitol-riot-video-the-new-yorker-newsroom-vpx.cnn

I'm still surprised that even with this "new footage" coming to light, they're continuing to sit on the fact that these assholes SMEARED THEIR OWN poo poo ON THE WALLS AND FLOOR, and that Sicknick didn't just fall dead to the floor as if he were Avada Kedavra'ed, they knocked him unconscious and BEAT HIS UNCONSCIOUS BODY TO DEATH WITH LEAD PIPES AND SIGN POLES.

But ~boys will be boys~! :v:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm still surprised that even with this "new footage" coming to light, they're continuing to sit on the fact that these assholes SMEARED THEIR OWN poo poo ON THE WALLS AND FLOOR, and that Sicknick didn't just fall dead to the floor as if he were Avada Kedavra'ed, they knocked him unconscious and BEAT HIS UNCONSCIOUS BODY TO DEATH WITH LEAD PIPES AND SIGN POLES.

But ~boys will be boys~! :v:

That's some seriously impressive stuff since after they beat him to death he got up and went back to the station apparently

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

pseudanonymous posted:

I mean saying "isn't universally accepted" what the gently caress does that mean? It isn't "universally accepted" that Hillary Clinton isn't a lizard person, that Trump isn't a freedom fighter battling the deep state and a satanic pedophile ring.

Nowhere in that decision does the court find that accepting a pardon necessarily means you accept guilt, just that it potentially implies guilt. Acceptance of a pardon is not an admission of guilt.

It's not accepted among legal scholars, why are you bringing in weird conspiracy theories that have nothing to do with the issue at hand like you're Vital Signs.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Q: if you were innocent, wouldn’t you be better served in court getting the conviction overturned/quashed?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
It can be expensive and extremely disruptive to have to fight in court, and there is always the chance that you get found guilty anyway because of a lovely jury or judge.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Kerbtree posted:

Q: if you were innocent, wouldn’t you be better served in court getting the conviction overturned/quashed?

a pardon is free

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cup Runneth Over posted:

a pardon is free

In theory, yes: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/17/rudy-giuliani-associate-john-kiriakou-trump-pardon

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i am also selling pardons, if you give me two million dollars you will be pardoned and you will also be given an emerald level membership on the something awful forums

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

THS posted:

i am also selling pardons, if you give me two million dollars you will be pardoned and you will also be given an emerald level membership on the something awful forums

For that money I expect Carnelian level or higher

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

pseudanonymous posted:

Burdick is focused on whether a pardon could be refused, in particular whether a pardoned individual could then be forced to waive their 5th amendment rights and testify.

The quote that everyone uses from Burdick to support the contention that a pardon is an acceptance of guilt wasn’t a finding of law, it was simply an observation that one reason a person might choose to refuse a pardon was to avoid the implication that they were guilty.

Until there’s actually a test case where a pardon is used as proof of commission of a crime there isn’t any settled law on this, insofar as law is ever really settled since the Supreme Court is constantly rewriting it.

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

Kerbtree posted:

Lol no. Being innocent and wrongly convicted doesn't guarantee you won't rot in prison.

Plus Hard to imagine someone with enough political pull for a pardon suffering for it. Hard to believe trumps bought into the billshit about his legacy if he pardons his friends family and self.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

THS posted:

what's the legality on this?

if i bump into you and say, "oh, pardon me" do i owe you two mil?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

How hosed are these people? NEw footage I haven't seen posted from the "peaceful" march on the Capitol.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2021/01/17/capitol-riot-video-the-new-yorker-newsroom-vpx.cnn

Bwahaha larping a movie guy who rifles through a stack of papers and finds the good poo poo. Also that cop begging them not to desecrate the sacred temple.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Kerbtree posted:

if you're rich enough to do that, you probably already tried and failed bc you're spectacularly guilty

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
https://twitter.com/CopingMAGA/status/1351378851276890113/photo/1
it says a lot about the trump legacy that this golden oldie from 2016 is making a comeback among trump voters

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Lib and let die posted:

what's the legality on this?

if i bump into you and say, "oh, pardon me" do i owe you two mil?
Since Ontario had to make a specific law that said expressions of contrition or commiseration (outside court) can't be used as evidence for wrongdoing, and it comes from the same legal tradition as most jurisdictions in the US, clearly it's a possibility.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

SMEARED THEIR OWN poo poo ON THE WALLS AND FLOOR
this bit, at least, is clearly protected political expression

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

It's very funny to me that these people apparently thought that just aimlessly milling about the capitol for a while = a coup. That's how it works right, like when you're capturing the objective in Call of Duty, or Battlefield?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Biplane posted:

It's very funny to me that these people apparently thought that just aimlessly milling about the capitol for a while = a coup. That's how it works right, like when you're capturing the objective in Call of Duty, or Battlefield?
Some of them switched the flags, right? Unfortunately for them, the objective was the main flag on top of the building, they just managed to capture individual rooms inside.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Some of them switched the flags, right? Unfortunately for them, the objective was the main flag on top of the building, they just managed to capture individual rooms inside.

But it should have been slowly lowering as they spent time inside.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

But it should have been slowly lowering as they spent time inside.
Sorry, they brought a shaman to the coup so the Capitol defaulted to WoW rules.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Biplane posted:

Nah. Didn't you see the part where they take a seat and try to form a government?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

https://twitter.com/CopingMAGA/status/1351378851276890113/photo/1
it says a lot about the trump legacy that this golden oldie from 2016 is making a comeback among trump voters

it really sank in this is chuds turning into 2016 liberals when i saw some post saying when the GOP takes the house back in 2022 they should make trump speaker

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

taqueso posted:

this bit, at least, is clearly protected political expression

They were finally able to record their ideology into a fixed medium.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Business Gorillas posted:

it really sank in this is chuds turning into 2016 liberals when i saw some post saying when the GOP takes the house back in 2022 they should make trump speaker

the key difference between Q and louise mensch is that Q does take great pleasure in reporting this

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
post trump cabinet members realizing that their careers are going to die with trump here

https://twitter.com/RichardGrenell/status/1351733383856939009

first gay cabinet member tho lol

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

post trump cabinet members realizing that their careers are going to die with trump here

https://twitter.com/RichardGrenell/status/1351733383856939009

first gay cabinet member tho lol

OPENLY gay

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
well yeah kinda like how we haven't had an *openly* gay president yet, but you see buchanan,

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
https://twitter.com/MeidasTouch/status/1351786994179850242?s=20

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

Sounds like they're all in the market for a new authoritarian daddy.

Have they considered Joseph R Biden?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Well find out in four years

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

In four years all white men in the US will have been killed by a newly black Joe Biden.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Biplane posted:

In four years all white men in the US will have been killed by a newly black Joe Biden.

The year is 2023. The Black Machines have won. SorosNet unleashed it's anti-white missiles against the remaining caucasian population, wiping out our cities. And for those who survived, it sent the Terminators.

*Camera pan up to a Terminator with a matte black finish and a Joe Biden skin-mask, flapping in the breeze as it crushes a skull underfoot, a Gadsden Flag fluttering off the skeletal ribcage half-buried in ash.*

We should have fought back when Diamond Joe cracked open GEOTUS Trump's ribcage on live stream and crushed his heart in his hands, screaming in technophonic elation. We should have seen it coming, when the Antifa SuperSoldiers marched down our streets, and Black Panther Tanks ran roughshod through our neighborhoods. We should have seen it all coming.

And now the Terminators are sending one of their own back in time, to try to kill the leader of the Persistence, Barron Trump. We must send our best, one of our Very Good People, back to stop it.

The final battle would not be fought in the future. It would be fought here, in our present.

Today...

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

J.A.B.C. posted:

The year is 2023. The Black Machines have won. SorosNet unleashed it's anti-white missiles against the remaining caucasian population, wiping out our cities. And for those who survived, it sent the Terminators.

*Camera pan up to a Terminator with a matte black finish and a Joe Biden skin-mask, flapping in the breeze as it crushes a skull underfoot, a Gadsden Flag fluttering off the skeletal ribcage half-buried in ash.*

We should have fought back when Diamond Joe cracked open GEOTUS Trump's ribcage on live stream and crushed his heart in his hands, screaming in technophonic elation. We should have seen it coming, when the Antifa SuperSoldiers marched down our streets, and Black Panther Tanks ran roughshod through our neighborhoods. We should have seen it all coming.

And now the Terminators are sending one of their own back in time, to try to kill the leader of the Persistence, Barron Trump. We must send our best, one of our Very Good People, back to stop it.

The final battle would not be fought in the future. It would be fought here, in our present.

Today...

:golfclap:

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Biplane posted:

inshallah

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

miniscule12 posted:

Sounds like they're all in the market for a new authoritarian daddy.

2024, the year of the salad

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Washington DC Craigslist is taking the news well

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Thumposaurus posted:

Washington DC Craigslist is taking the news well

They're right but not for the reasons they think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Is there a tax credit for using the caps lock key that I don't know about, I mean honestly