Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Frond posted:

The 1998 cars were so ugly Berger retired instead of wanting to drive one.

I love the MP4/13.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Yeah 1998 was probably the first season I was old enough to properly follow and the McLarens looked cool as hell.

Was that the year with the horrible red Williams?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Was that the year with the horrible red Williams?

Yeah, 1998-99:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

lmfao

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

poty posted:

"Lewis won 2016"

gently caress this poo poo, Are Rossie did a Stella job that year and mentally broke Hamilton. What more could he do to mentally break Hamilton more? loving retire, it was glorious.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

gently caress this poo poo, Are Rossie did a Stella job that year and mentally broke Hamilton. What more could he do to mentally break Hamilton more? loving retire, it was glorious.

ah yes he was so mentaly broken that he went on to cheat his way to even more fraudulent wdc's

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Sir Lewis is so good and magnanimous that it's NBD for him to let someone else win a championship every now and then.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

He won because his engine failed less than lewis, no more no less reason than that

You have a thing for rosberg because he's white and blond and you're a racist who voted for brexit

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

marshalljim posted:

Sir Lewis is so good and magnanimous that it's NBD for him to let someone else win a championship every now and then.
Thinking this may be the final point of negotiation for his contract. In order to feign unpredictability in the sport, Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One and FOM/FIA are advocating that Lewis let Valtterible win one championship like he did with Nico. Lewis is understandably resistant to this agreement but in the end will acquiesce because he and everyone else knows that his blessings as given by the King of Kings and the Lord of Hosts will easily allow him to achieve a further record breaking multiple drivers championships post-2021. #teamlh44 #stillirise

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Wow

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

quote:

In F1 Esports the margins are so fine that if you’re 0.1 seconds off then you’re not going to be on the front row, you’re going to be sixth at best. So it’s just about chipping away at yourself mentally.

Got a 1:26 lap at Monaco on my XBox, quitting my job to focus on Esports.

Edit: Joking aside, I just got F1 2020 and have been having fun smashing my McClaren into walls. Is there a goon-league?

Cessna fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 18, 2021

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
can anyone think of a more boring wdc than pricko drossberg

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

track day bro! posted:

Poois Shamilton
Shitstain Buttsmell
Minimum Vercrappen

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

yeah hard to blame him for not just saying gently caress that but lmao no way

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

track day bro! posted:

i have never watched a race at paul ricard

The old ones are good.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

track day bro! posted:

JV.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
He's very bad, and stupid, and boring.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
jumping back in because i had no interest in racing during the weird covid season and here's hoping the 2021 season is epic

not sure what i missed in 2020. i figure Ferrari was epicly FTW and won all the races and Lewis Hamilton died of the novel coronavirus, also known as COVID-19

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Holy poo poo look who it is

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

You missed Marquez dying and Suzuki inexplicably winning MotoGP with another random Spanish twink

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

the corona quid posted:

You missed Marquez dying and Suzuki inexplicably winning MotoGP with another random Spanish twink

i'm glad the Mighty Zuuk is back where it belongs in MotoGP, at the top

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

jumping back in because i had no interest in racing during the weird covid season and here's hoping the 2021 season is epic

not sure what i missed in 2020. i figure Ferrari was epicly FTW and won all the races and Lewis Hamilton died of the novel coronavirus, also known as COVID-19

2020 F1 actually was pretty good. If nothing else check highlights.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
actually I mainly watched bicycles due to me getting back into them from a combination of boredom and COVID bike rides.

anyway from what it looks like, noted boosters of the Hitler regime, Mercedes, took advantage of Italy being ravaged by COVID-19 to take a very unfair WCC. Hope that season gets wiped from the history books like the time Nigel Mansell won because his car was driven by the advanced AI from Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix Simulation

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Hope that season gets wiped from the history books like the time Nigel Mansell won because his car was driven by the advanced AI from Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix Simulation

https://twitter.com/Jalopnik/status/1321894602052349952
^ this was ferrari in 2020

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
What's everyone's predictions for 2021. I think Italy will bounce back from COVID-19 and Ferrari have a hell of a season while the epic fail England Virus COVID strain causes the Mercedes team to have a massive meltdown #ForzaFerrari #MissionWinnow #KeepFightingMichael

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Hope that season gets wiped from the history books like the time Nigel Mansell won because his car was driven by the advanced AI from Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix Simulation

Lol.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
i hope ferrari wins

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Zeta Acosta posted:

i hope ferrari wins

they have a brit now how could they lose

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

What's everyone's predictions for 2021. I think Italy will bounce back from COVID-19 and Ferrari have a hell of a season while the epic fail England Virus COVID strain causes the Mercedes team to have a massive meltdown #ForzaFerrari #MissionWinnow #KeepFightingMichael

Without adequate access to British shellfish, the EU will collapse into apocalyptic Mad Max chaos. That’s slightly worse than usual so they’ll have to cancel all the GPs where they give Sir Lewis unfair penalties and he’ll win the WDC by over 9000 points

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
My favorite memory of the 2020 F1 season is when Vettel drove through the Pirelli sign at Monza.

Honestly, the most perfect encapsulation of Ferrari.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

My favorite memory of the 2020 F1 season is when Vettel drove through the Pirelli sign at Monza.

Honestly, the most perfect encapsulation of Ferrari.

Lol that's the race where his brakes exploded for no reason

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

It’s my first season but 2020 felt fun and I hope that’s not just because covid threw a wrench into everything. It felt like we got something good at least every other weekend on average.

Highlights from memory:
First Austria, Lando gets his first podium, drama with Lewis and Albon.

Silverstone having Lewis tire drama and then an unexpected Red Bull outright win. Idc about max but it was fun to think someone could match Mercedes for a second.

CHAOS MODE Monza and the best podium

CHAOS MODE Mugello (but iirc a boring podium? Or am I mixing this up with portimao?)

No Grip Turkey (only funny Friday/Saturday and turned out to be a boring race)

Outer Sakhir George Drama

Grosjean crash (not fun but memorable), Max wall

Two Ric Podiums

And of course Ferrari’s insane 1000th GP celebration

I’m sure there’s so much more but all of those are burned into my memory as either fun and/or funny, so that feels like a good investment for the races that I’ve completely deleted from my
memory like Spain and Hungary.

Also wait lol remember how max also drove into the wall in Hungary before the race.

Also somehow I don’t remember anything particularly fun about Spa.

Either way I hope 2021 can provide as much.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I saw one race of 2020 and I couldn’t even tell you which one it was lmao

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Incidentally Handbrake video conversions go from a 2 hour job to a 8 minute job when you bother offloading it to the GPU on the M1 Macs lmao

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
2020 had some really fun moments.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I’ve spent the past three hours editing Joe Biden into Twin Peaks and the only two things I can say is thank god I have a MacBook Pro with Apple Silicon and I have a new deep respect for visual Fx artists cause this poo poo is tedious as hell even when you’re half assing it.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
What the hell was this San Marino race?

Senna ran out of fuel, Johannsen ran out of fuel, Prost ran out of fuel on his slowdown lap and the then 3rd place Boutsen ran out of fuel yards from the finish line, finishing the race in 3rd place by pushing it over the line. Then Prost gets DQed for being too light on the postrace.

This is mad, and I wonder if these economy runs are going to be a running theme.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 19, 2021

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

the corona quid posted:

I’ve spent the past three hours editing Joe Biden into Twin Peaks and the only two things I can say is thank god I have a MacBook Pro with Apple Silicon and I have a new deep respect for visual Fx artists cause this poo poo is tedious as hell even when you’re half assing it.

I bought an iPhone 12. It is my first Apple product since the original iPod.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Azza Bamboo posted:

What the hell was this San Marino race?

Senna ran out of fuel, Johannsen ran out of fuel, Prost ran out of fuel on his slowdown lap and the then 3rd place Boutsen ran out of fuel yards from the finish line, finishing the race in 3rd place by pushing it over the line. Then Prost gets DQed for being too light on the postrace.

This is mad, and I wonder if these economy runs are going to be a running theme.

The fact drivers were allowed to push their car across the line is crazy to think about in a modern context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Just learned how Brexit will affect F1: UK-based teams will now need a carnet to allow their cars to be temporarily imported into the EU for work purposes. That involves paying a £240+VAT admin fee (no biggie)... and 40% of the value of the car. For each car. :stare:

It's refundable at the end of the 12-month period of carnet validity, but even so, for the smaller UK-based teams that's a big chunk of money, especially when they previously paid nothing. (All the team's travelling staff will need similar paperwork as well.)