Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Anybody have any impressions of Everspace 2 yet? How complete of a game is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

yeah in the first 5 minutes he's immediately killed by a horse stomping his skull in and woah holy poo poo it's viggo mortensen let's hunt some freakin orc!!!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zereth posted:

Anybody have any impressions of Everspace 2 yet? How complete of a game is it?

Silly goon, you're supposed to check the Star Citizen thread if you wanna read about the latest spacegames

Taintrunner posted:

So I played about 45 minutes of new Spacegame, Everspace 2:

It's very, very pretty to look at. Really sharp aesthetic, great contrast of colors and lights/darks. You don't get out of your ship and walk around, but you do get to fly around giant interiors.

Explosions look super neat. It's definitely very "game-y" in a way I might start to bounce off of, I definitely see myself fiddling with the flight controls which feel very unnatural to me. Like clicking in the left thumbstick to roll type poo poo. Makes me feel clumsier than I should.

Going to warp looks neat, but you're definetely staring at a screen for a few seconds waiting around to get from point A to point B.

Supposed to be about 12-20 hours of gameplay so far, I think, with more on the way.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

punk rebel ecks posted:

Rogue...lites?

Basically, "short" campaigns that you can play again and again through randomisation. Examples besides Hades are games like The Binding of Isaac, Monolith, Dead Cells, Into The Breach, Monster Train. A run can be maybe an hour, the joy is in doing it again and again under different circumstances.

It's roguelite so as not don't confuse them with roguelikes which are games that are Like Rogue, which includes games like ADOM, Nethack, and, according to Steam tags, Rogue.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no, roguelites are referred as such because there is a persistent progression system between runs. regular roguelikes you start from zero every time.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

no, roguelites are referred as such because there is a persistent progression system between runs. regular roguelikes you start from zero every time.

The term roguelite started as a way of differentiating the grid based RPGs from games that were borrowing specific hallmarks of the genre without having similar gameplay, and doesn't relate to metaprogression.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Like many industry genres "roguelite" is a dump category where you put whatever you want that someone else once incorrectly called a roguelike.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ghostlight posted:

Like many industry genres "roguelite" is a dump category where you put whatever you want that someone else once incorrectly called a roguelike.

It's like a night light but instead of providing a soft illumination it hides in the shadows and stabs you

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Taintrunner posted:

yeah in the first 5 minutes he's immediately killed by a horse stomping his skull in and woah holy poo poo it's viggo mortensen let's hunt some freakin orc!!!

Literally Shadow of Mordor/War?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Serephina posted:

Hilariously, that's what a lot of players ended up doing; buy a game, then have to go find the crack to get past the draconian DRM.

As a Linux user, I'm kinda in an odd position in that I automatically bycott all of those games; they never release a native client with super-duper DRM, and it sure as poo poo won't run in WINE/proton, so the choice was made for me!

Imagine what would happen if one of those rootkit vendors tried to have their rootkit upstreamed. LMKL would be on fire :allears:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
After over a year of dropping it right after beating the first half of the DLC I went back and finished off Pillars of Eternity 1.

Not really too much to say that hasn't been said to death especially when comparing it to Pathfinder KM and Divinity OS1 except that PoE1 has the most accessible and clear UI for a rpg game I've ever played. 18 months off and it took ~5 mins to get back to exactly where I was in understanding game mechanics because I could right click on almost anything for further detail and tons of words had hyperlinks to in depth explanations.

It's definitely one of the best presentation rpg games from that aspect regardless of opinions on RtWP.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Unreal_One posted:

Not a lawyer, but don't patents only cover specific implementations? Probably harder than I was making it sound, but there have been nemesis-lite systems since.

I think the XCOM 2 expansion was the only high profile title to have a nemesis-lite system. We would've heard about WB and Firaxis beef if that ridiculous patent covered loose adaptions.

Cardiovorax posted:

Normally, yes, but software patents are kind of a mess and a legal grey area that isn't really properly defined in law, despite the fact that patent offices keep issuing them anyway. It tends to be a "whatever you think you can get away with" sort of thing.

It's also dependent on the concept being patented. The loading screen minigame patent was clear enough that the games industry kept far away from it. That's not to say the flood gates opened after the patent expired, but at least Nintendo experimented with it that same year with Splatoon.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I finished the two new areas in Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth and that's some good poo poo. That last boss was real tough.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Antigravitas posted:

Imagine what would happen if one of those rootkit vendors tried to have their rootkit upstreamed. LMKL would be on fire :allears:

That would be called Nintendo, who shipped a bunch of ancient ripped internet ROMs with their miniNES system, complete with pirate's watermark.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Unreal_One posted:

It's not a copyrightable thing, aside from the Nemesis branding and the specific implementation. Anybody could do it, but it takes an absolute ton of resources, most of which any given player will never see.

The way the orcs can remember stuff got weirdly specific in Shadow of War - way more impressive than the first game, especially because the game uses more opportunities to surprise players.

Designing such a system would get very involved and requires lots of additional voicework and randomized assets if you're gonna do it right.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also in case anyone was considering replaying Shadow of Mordor, they recently disabled the feature that lets you import your Nemesis Orc from the 1st game into Shadow of War. hosed up!!!

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I played both and never even knew that was a feature. :confused:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you want a huge laugh, I have my "rarest achievement showcase" on my Steam Profile and it's 3 achievements from ArmA 3, and 3 achievements from GTA4. Badass!

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

people talk about the nemesis system like Klurtz the Tooth Molester would eventually Weird Science himself into physical reality, steal your mail, and cut your brakes when in practice it mostly meant that the fifth ork interrupting the second ork interrupting a fight to yell an introduction would be like "oi, Gravewalka! It's yer ol pal, Gogurt th' Bee-Fearer! Well guess what? Now Oi'm immune t' bees!"

Karma Tornado fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 19, 2021

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Karma Tornado posted:

people talk about the nemesis system like Klurtz the Tooth Molester would eventually Weird Science himself into physical reality, steal your mail, and cut your breaks when in practice it mostly meant that the fifth ork interrupting the second ork interrupting a fight to yell an introduction would be like "oi, Gravewalka! It's yer ol pal, Gogurt th' Bee-Fearer! Well guess what? Now Oi'm immune t' bees!"

yeah it was fun to see a guy you brutalized/humiliated/etc. come back looking all hosed up and pissed off so what

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Taintrunner posted:

If you want a huge laugh, I have my "rarest achievement showcase" on my Steam Profile and it's 3 achievements from ArmA 3, and 3 achievements from GTA4. Badass!
One of my rarest achievements is "Kill an enemy 4 levels higher than you" on Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning, which I played for about 2 hours, right next to the "complete every quest" achievement in Dragon's Dogma which I played for 134 hours.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

May I invite you to the roguelike thread where discussing the definition of a roguelike is by now a venerable tradition?

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

My rarest achievement is for having a max level Black Cat in Marvel Heroes (actually all six in the showcase are from Marvel Heroes characters), and now I'm sad that the game is dead

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
My rarest (0.30%) achievement is from the final chapter of Kentucky Route Zero, presumably because of a bajillion people played it before the final chapter was actually out and didn't actually go get back to it. Which means it's more ... achievy? than say, La Mulana hell temple hard mode (0.80%).

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Taintrunner posted:

To be fair, GTA4 only somewhat recently got cheevo support on Steam.

My rarest achievement for a long time was "kill 5 enemies in a tunnel with only a sidearm" in Rising Storm 2: Vietnam, but now the entire showcase is Halo MCC stuff.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Mine's 100% completion of Yakuza 0 which as far as I'm concerned is the perfect choice and 226 hours well spent.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

My rarest achievement is for Dungeon of the Endless and it requires you to win the game with 3 characters added by a certain piece of DLC. You can start with 2 of them and one of them has an ability which will spawn new recruits faster, so it's not that hard to complete your trio. It just involves knowing that achievement exists, owning that DLC and actually caring about it. And knowing how to win a game I guess :v:

Taintrunner posted:

also in case anyone was considering replaying Shadow of Mordor, they recently disabled the feature that lets you import your Nemesis Orc from the 1st game into Shadow of War. hosed up!!!

Also, the thing where you can avenge someone on your friends list by pulling the orc captain that killed them in your game. If you don't have friends (aww) it will link you with a random person. I played through SoM this year and in all those hours I played one of those revenge contracts showed up. Just that one in 30+ hours of play.

There were also leaderboards for the challenge DLCs. Yup.

So, I don't think the online functionality was a big deal. Losing it for its sequel Shadow of War would not be a big deal either, although I had fun filling a fortress with all sorts of annoying orc captains for someone else to fight against.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 19, 2021

Estel
May 4, 2010

Veib posted:

My rarest achievement is for having a max level Black Cat in Marvel Heroes (actually all six in the showcase are from Marvel Heroes characters), and now I'm sad that the game is dead

6 of my 7 rarest achievements are for having various max level characters in Marvel Heroes and I'm sad that the game is dead too.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Donnerberg posted:

I think the XCOM 2 expansion was the only high profile title to have a nemesis-lite system. We would've heard about WB and Firaxis beef if that ridiculous patent covered loose adaptions.

Warframe has a Nemesis system too. But what are they gonna do about it, try to outspend TenCent on lawyers?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Quote is not edit.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Aww, my rarest achievement at less than 1% ever achieved is knowing 50 people who played Torchlight 2. It's both heartwarming and funny.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Karma Tornado posted:

people talk about the nemesis system like Klurtz the Tooth Molester would eventually Weird Science himself into physical reality, steal your mail, and cut your brakes when in practice it mostly meant that the fifth ork interrupting the second ork interrupting a fight to yell an introduction would be like "oi, Gravewalka! It's yer ol pal, Gogurt th' Bee-Fearer! Well guess what? Now Oi'm immune t' bees!"

I mean....thats how the TV spots played it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvmM5V_-M2s

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hey, it is the sequel to Hammerfight. Kind of, it is the same setting and it is either set before or after by a few thousand years.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

ZearothK posted:

Hey, it is the sequel to Hammerfight. Kind of, it is the same setting and it is either set before or after by a few thousand years.

I gasped

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, been following it for a little while, looks dope. Funny that Starsector's already inspiring games without technically being out yet.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ZearothK posted:

whoa

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I hope this is good. the world needs more good 3D platformers and I like how this looks like a lost game from the Saturn/Dreamcast era

https://twitter.com/balanwworld/status/1351530098277703680

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Barry Convex posted:

I hope this is good. the world needs more good 3D platformers and I like how this looks like a lost game from the Saturn/Dreamcast era

https://twitter.com/balanwworld/status/1351530098277703680

Yeah, I have high hopes for this!

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

My rarest achievement is for XCOM 2, and it's completing a mission in skirmish mode. Like, really? Only 1% of players ever clicked on that feature in the game? I did literally one, hoping there would be rewards in the campaign, which there weren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Kanfy posted:

Mine's 100% completion of Yakuza 0 which as far as I'm concerned is the perfect choice and 226 hours well spent.

I am both impressed and horrified by this