Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i've hit new horizons MV and kind of flopped re: planning my next moves. i'm a bit paralysed re: decomming my LV infrastructure

i figure it'll be pyro oven, multiple blast furnaces, bigger suites of LV lathes/wiremills etc for ease of mass production, and maybe some bulk gas storage and bigger multiblock machines along with ore-washing/thermal centrifuging as standard. gotta use the benzene power somehow.

it's just a bit of a pain in the dick that advanced coil blocks all seem to need a vacuum freezer so i need to reach HV before making anything fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i've hit new horizons MV and kind of flopped re: planning my next moves. i'm a bit paralysed re: decomming my LV infrastructure

i figure it'll be pyro oven, multiple blast furnaces, bigger suites of LV lathes/wiremills etc for ease of mass production, and maybe some bulk gas storage and bigger multiblock machines along with ore-washing/thermal centrifuging as standard. gotta use the benzene power somehow.

it's just a bit of a pain in the dick that advanced coil blocks all seem to need a vacuum freezer so i need to reach HV before making anything fun

You don't NEED to decommission your LV machine stuff. I still use mine even in HV. The wiremill, lathe, arc furnace, polarizer, brewing machine and alloy smelter all run decently fast and don't really need to be upgraded.

Good MV goals are a pyrolyse oven, an automatic tree farm with Steve's carts (or forestry I think might be available) for feeding it, and an auto MV miner. You can kill off entire veins of ore with the MV miner, one gas turbine, and like 8-16 benzene cells.

MV is a pretty short tier. Rushing into HV for the HV macerator is recommended. With the HV macerator you unlock byproducts, which lets you go from rationing your gallium to having stacks of it, among other things.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Related to that, there's a vote going out to disable the pollution mechanic formally. I feel even less wrong about disabling it locally!

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Threw in my vote for disabling it, seeing as I already disabled it locally due to the latest patch. i'm a little annoyed the conversation seems to be entirely centered around servers with no regard to how the changes affect SP worlds. a mechanic invented for your server performance shouldn't be punishing my single player world's infrastructure.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is the normal GT:NH Thaumcraft wand progression something like this?

1. Smash nagas. Make an iron-capped, wooden wand.
2. Smash more nagas. Make a gold-capped, wooden wand.
3. Smash lich. Make a gold-capped, greatwood wand.

I'm there with my plain-old iron-capped, wooden wand about to make the greatwood wand and seeing I need 30 vis in all the primals, but the wand will only support 25. It sounds like I have to blow some effort making an intermediate wand I'll immediately throw out.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm there with my plain-old iron-capped, wooden wand about to make the greatwood wand and seeing I need 30 vis in all the primals, but the wand will only support 25. It sounds like I have to blow some effort making an intermediate wand I'll immediately throw out.

This is correct. I used my gold-capped wooden wand for all of one craft to make the greatwood version.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
With MultiMC, how do I download an updated pack version from curseforge and keep my settings?

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Rynoto posted:

Some days it's fun to remember the times of the Sacred Rubber Sapling and its terrifying server destroying powers.

For reference:

I vividly remember this tree crushing my server.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I like the idea that you're just loving your way through the whole twilight forest. Eventually you can get a vis discount from robes, goggles, etc. but you have to piggyback wands to get better ones.

Did you expect anything less from GT:NH?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

mechaet posted:

I vividly remember this tree crushing my server.

The free marketplace of treedeas had it's way with your CPUs.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I like the idea that you're just loving your way through the whole twilight forest. Eventually you can get a vis discount from robes, goggles, etc. but you have to piggyback wands to get better ones.

Did you expect anything less from GT:NH?

Never expect anything less from the gurg.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Ambaire posted:

With MultiMC, how do I download an updated pack version from curseforge and keep my settings?

I simply moved my old mods into a new folder, setup a new instance with the new pack, then copied the new mods into the old folder.
played a session of the 1st instance to see if it was ok then deleted any extraneous stuff.

Also did a quick browse to see if there were any new folders in the new instance.

e: is there a range to the lightening strikes on hit that is added by Astral attunement perks?
I use a drop through cow farm where the babies drop into a basement to grow, but I ended up killing most of my adults above because the lightening strikes travel pretty far.
Which is also pretty drat fun in my ender farm.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 19, 2021

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Speaking of astral, I'm trying to make starmetal in astral sorcery out of iron ore blocks. I stick them near a crystal in a temple/shrine, I link it with the wand, a beam of light connects them and they start to sparkle. And then just.. sit there. I kept the thing chunkloaded and waited an entire day and they just sit there. What am I doing wrong?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Does the collector crystal have a view of the sky? It also may just be a weak crystal so you'll have to wait ages.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
That was a brainfart on my part, I did mean iron ore not iron block. It's the first/only crystal I've found so I don't know it's exact strength but it was able to convert the crafting table. If you think it's not strong enough I'll verify sky visibility and try and find another.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Bhodi posted:

That was a brainfart on my part, I did mean iron ore not iron block. It's the first/only crystal I've found so I don't know it's exact strength but it was able to convert the crafting table. If you think it's not strong enough I'll verify sky visibility and try and find another.

It should not take that long to convert a single iron ore block, but the crystal must not have any obstruction between it and the sky to work. I don't think the crafting table conversion actually required the crystal to have a view of the sky.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

OgNar posted:

I simply moved my old mods into a new folder, setup a new instance with the new pack, then copied the new mods into the old folder.
played a session of the 1st instance to see if it was ok then deleted any extraneous stuff.

That worked great, thanks.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
In GTNH, is there a way to stop a machine from trying to complete it's current operation? I know you can whack it with a mallet to stop it trying to start any new operations, but I have a machine that keeps running out of power-mid operation and restarting even when whacked. Breaking it with a wrench and replacing it works, but this means you lose whatever resources are currently being processed which sucks.

e: never mind, it does stop it from drawing power, which was my main issue. I guess I need bigger steam pipes or something.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Cicadalek posted:

In GTNH, is there a way to stop a machine from trying to complete it's current operation? I know you can whack it with a mallet to stop it trying to start any new operations, but I have a machine that keeps running out of power-mid operation and restarting even when whacked. Breaking it with a wrench and replacing it works, but this means you lose whatever resources are currently being processed which sucks.

e: never mind, it does stop it from drawing power, which was my main issue. I guess I need bigger steam pipes or something.

There's no way to pause a machine mid-craft, no. What you can do is disconnect it from power (right clicking with wire cutters on cables performs connection/disconnection operations like wrenches do to pipes.) This will cause the machine to sit and spin indefinitely, but it SHOULD* retain the materials you used to craft. Then, when you've sorted your power, reconnect it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Bhodi posted:

Speaking of astral, I'm trying to make starmetal in astral sorcery out of iron ore blocks. I stick them near a crystal in a temple/shrine, I link it with the wand, a beam of light connects them and they start to sparkle. And then just.. sit there. I kept the thing chunkloaded and waited an entire day and they just sit there. What am I doing wrong?

It takes longer if you link multiple blocks to the crystal. Did you put down like 20 blocks or something? Also even if the beam is pointing at an empty block it'll slow down conversion, so be sure to remove beams that you don't need anymore. Try 4 at once.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I figured it out, it was direct LOS to sky - it was in the "basement" of a temple and I didn't clear the blocks directly above it. Weird that it'd convert the table, odd choice to let people do that.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Is there any option to get One Probe to work with Storage Drawers on 1.16?
It has seemingly never worked well with it, like now it doesn't even tell what the item is let alone how many items are in there.

The One Probe has always been the shittiest version of Waila/Hwyla.
I can only assume its just easier to throw in a pack.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
Gwyneth, you seem to be ahead of me a little bit in GTNH right now. Have you automated circuit crafting at all? I'm just entering HV tier, and I'm debating how much I want to automate circuits.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I'm not sure that's a very good idea unless it's very ad hoc and easy to set up. At the beginning of HV, you still have some big recipe upgrades ahead of you (cleanroom circuits in the ev circuit assembler for starters), and you probably don't have AE2 yet. AE2, while incredibly expensive at the start in terms of materials and power (at least if you want reasonable autocrafting), is a big enough boost to ease of use that you'll save time just crafting a stack here and there and waiting for your infrastructure to get better.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I have some sense that Faldoncow is curious about what kind of space to set aside for all that because setting that up is probably the next few days for the two of us on Boof's server.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Faldoncow posted:

Gwyneth, you seem to be ahead of me a little bit in GTNH right now. Have you automated circuit crafting at all? I'm just entering HV tier, and I'm debating how much I want to automate circuits.

No, I haven't automated them yet. I'm pre-moon and thus pre-AE2, so I haven't bothered with much real automation except for power so far. Also, I'm kinda holding out hope that the GTNH devs will follow through with logipipes, because holy poo poo logipipes are fun.

The approach that I take is that any time I need one circuit of my current tier or lower and I'm out, I craft a stack of them instead. Having a full stack of circuits on hand is incredibly liberating. Need to expand power? No problem, just munch down 16 circuits at a go. Need some esoteric crafting machine? Handled. I should do this with motors too...

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

do it with robotic arms

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Robotic arms are way less used. Motors and circuits though, yeah. Personally I make them 8 at a time but I guess I could start doing 16...

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
Ya my biggest mistake in GTNH so far has been not crafting more of key components. Oh, sure, I crafted 20 motors at once, and that looked like an OK amount...but I really should have been crafting 2 stacks at once. Especially at MV and higher once you've got enough tools available to really slam out stuff in bulk. Doesn't cost me much extra time to make 64 of an item instead of 8.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

this thing is pretty cool

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know what I'm doing but it's fun

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Black Pants posted:

I don't know what I'm doing but it's fun

Virtually every factory I've ever built has been in the middle of a half-cleared grassy field. For as long as these mods have existed, this has been a universal image.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i usually build a small house (start with 3x3x3 interior during day 0, build a bit bigger later if i feel like it) out of planks so i don't die, and that's all i ever build above ground because what kind of self respecting miner builds above ground??? i bet you guys also drink leaf lover special

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I mostly do in the side of a hill/underground/in a pre-generated structure to start. Especially now with phantoms. Pre-phantoms building above the ocean or some tiles above a clear field and then jumping a gap to get in were great because you never had to deal with mobs.

In newer versions (1.15+ for sure) you can do your base above bedrock in the nether with 100% consistency using just one ender pearl, but quite a few modded things don't work right up there. It's mob free and cleared for you. Also allows really fast travel to anywhere in the world.

Putting your entire base in compact machines is cool too, but by the time you can access them you have infinite everything so it's kinda hard to justify moving.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 21, 2021

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
If I'm just messing around in a generic modpack then I try to cram in the prefab mod so I can slap down some ranch house somewhere with a shaft down to Y=12.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Anyone know where Basalt spawns in GTNH? I'm trying to do some of the cosmetic block quests and googling hasn't helped.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Cicadalek posted:

Anyone know where Basalt spawns in GTNH? I'm trying to do some of the cosmetic block quests and googling hasn't helped.

It's a random chance to spawn to replace any stone, and boulders of it occasionally spawn on the surface. Your best bet is to ride around near some mountains and look for outcroppings of black stone, which may be either basalt or black granite.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Rynoto posted:

Some days it's fun to remember the times of the Sacred Rubber Sapling and its terrifying server destroying powers.

For reference:

In my restless dreams, I see that tree

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It's a random chance to spawn to replace any stone, and boulders of it occasionally spawn on the surface. Your best bet is to ride around near some mountains and look for outcroppings of black stone, which may be either basalt or black granite.

Thanks, this worked for me. The first few outcrops I had seen were all granite, so I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

i found one of the boulders pretty close to my base

here's some on a mountain cliff face, along with some black granite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
It looks like we did the same thing Gwyneth Palpate did and managed to build our base on top of a stronghold on accident.