Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

barnold posted:

Sirius is firing pretty much all of their on-air talent in order to replace their channels with automation because the company has a crippling amount of debt and stagnant income (mostly because of their contract fees and the way they still try to sell you packages like a cable TV company). Their numbers are chronically overinflated because most of their "subscribers" are new vehicle owners of which approximately 0.001% continue paid service after their trial runs out.

It's a dead platform continuing to die. Podcasts have long usurped Sirius as the place for personalities and talent. Pandora makes more money for them than the satellite radio. It's the only thing keeping them afloat

I honestly don't know why they need DJs for most of the channels. Even when I had a sub (way back in '08) I got frustrated that they would have to talk after each third song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Here I am the idiot who just renewed for a year. I like swapping between Hair Nation/80's/Howard when I'm driving (which is waaaaay less the past ~year).

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I agree that DJs on the music channels are super not needed. They should definitely keep the programming managers as I would rather have a curator than just a Pandora algorithm, but I'm sick of someone breaking in every other song on Lithium to remind me that Nirvana made grunge rock mainstream. I will fully admit to being the idiot paying $100/yr (and it would be the first thing I cancel if I lost my job or something), but I get enough value between Howard, huge selection of news and sports channels during big events/games, and some music when I don't feel like curating it myself.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
If I listen to music radio, I actually want a DJ there talking about the music and curating a setlist for the show. If I wanted to just hear nonstop music I'd just listen to Spotify. There's just no money in having actual DJs on-air these days, so much cheaper to be controlled by the borg. As an audio engineer I'm a little sick of machines dictating how and when people listen to music overall. You could make the case that station-mandated rotation songs had the same effect but it's only fractionally similar to how ~the algorithm~ handles everything these days.

There are still a lot of good shoutcast stations pumping out the choons online, but I recommend learning German if you actually want to understand what the DJs are saying lol

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I want to go back to the good old days when payola and cocaine were responsible for the new music you heard on the radio.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

I don't disagree that having a curated playlist is nice... but does that necessarily have to be accompanied by "...it's Friiiiiiday! Friday Friday Friday Friday Friday Friday Friday Friday Friiiiiiiiii....daaaaaay!!!! This is Madison... madi-SON madisonmadisonmadiiiiiiiisuuuuunnnnnnn!

Here's green day"

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

kylej posted:

I want to go back to the good old days when payola and cocaine were responsible for the new music you heard on the radio.

absolutely yes to the cocaine, no to the payola unless it's me being paid the ola :colbert: lol

thumper57 posted:

I don't disagree that having a curated playlist is nice... but does that necessarily have to be accompanied by "...it's Friiiiiiday! Friday Friday Friday Friday Friday Friday Friday Friday Friiiiiiiiii....daaaaaay!!!! This is Madison... madi-SON madisonmadisonmadiiiiiiiisuuuuunnnnnnn!

Here's green day"

I mean that's just a top 40 station in a nutshell but up ere in boston listened to WFNX almost nonstop for 20 years and it was never even close to morning zoo type poo poo on the bumpers. I miss having an actually good rock radio station around :( shouts out to Leftover Lunch with Julie whatever the gently caress her name was, she played good tunes

also that station was how I listened to Loveline. good times tuned in on my GE wood grain alarm clock radio

college radio can also be really good but the last time I tried it, I stumbled into "aggressive harsh noise hour" and noped the gently caress out lmao

barnold fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 11, 2021

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

A station that plays deep cuts or even music from new artists definitely can use a DJ. If I'm just listening to generic rap/rock/metal I don't need someone to remind me to tune in to the whatever channel they are currently promoting.

Lately I've taken to indy stations on TuneIn, mostly community radio stations in rural Canadian cities because they'll just play whatever they want. You'll hear folk and metal played in the same hour so it fits my ADD-like musical tastes.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Modern rock is a pretty barren genre so the rock stations in my city have no clue what to play. There is one station that calls itself "the cutting edge of rock" but a big chunk of what they actually play is hip hop or top 40 stuff like Lorde. Yeah that's... not rock. Another big chunk is modern stuff that I refuse to believe anyone actually likes, because that's the only new releases.

Another station does the typical request hour and every day people want to hear bands like Pantera, Alice in Chains, grunge, some 80s metal, etc. Nobody ever asks to hear crap like Nickelback, yet that's what they play the other 23 hours of the day. You think the station would catch a hint.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Happy 67th Birthday ya hook nose Jew bastard!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MrMidnight posted:

Awwwww...

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Oh yeah I forgot. Today would also have been my grandad's 108th birthday.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

wesleywillis posted:

Oh yeah I forgot. Today would also have been my grandad's 108th birthday.

He still has jet black hair like Grandpa Sol.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
He's 67? I didn't realize the age difference between him & Ronnie was so small.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Pretty soon howard will be SIXTY NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Or possibly Sixty noine.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

barnold posted:

As an audio engineer

....As you know, when you recoahd, the proppa modulation that is rekwiyud, is foah the electric eye, which is a green type of....tube

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

MrMidnight posted:

And happy final birthday to Rush Limbaugh as well

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Zoben posted:

final birthday

Hopefully but Rush seems to be hanging on. Burning hatred for poor people, liberals, gays, and other minorities seems to keep conservatives alive.

Or the fact he has tons of money and can buy the best treatment. That too.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Zoben posted:

....As you know, when you recoahd, the proppa modulation that is rekwiyud, is foah the electric eye, which is a green type of....tube

or a classic quote that could not more perfectly encapsulate the first time assisting in the studio, "shut up and sit down, don't be stupid ya moron"

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I don't know where you get your information from sheik, but I've never sucked a cock, I've never even seen another man's cock, so I don't know what gives you the right to call me a fa**ot!!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

thumper57 posted:

Here's green day"

Fun triva fact. She was the first woman to get T O P L E S S on Sirius

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I AM NOT A GODDAMN FOOTBALL MASCOT YOU STUPID loving rear end in a top hat

https://twitter.com/i/events/1349763960715710470

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Bonzo posted:

This made me howl today - thank you.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
"Shove your club foot up your rear end!" -Angry Political Guy

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Bonzo posted:

Holy poo poo, this is beautiful.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Montreal club foots?

NO!!!

Club feet?

NO!!
WE'RE CLUB FUCKIN FOOT YA ASSWIPE!!

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Got a young adult husky over the holidays and have been walking more than I have in the past decade which has been a good excuse to finally catch up on the last couple of months of Stern show. Ronnie's reaction the to the dildo test was shockingly calm after he super freaked out of the voting thing just a few weeks before.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

It still hasn't been changed.

FYI, this is the band that they were making fun of years ago that made the "lovely avant garde music".

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

They took the day off for MLK Day? They have done a total of six shows in the past five weeks.

The new contract is off to a roaring start. Worth every penny.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I'm pretty sure they have taken every federal holiday off for a while now. I'm only sad when they take the whole week off (which is still totally possible).

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Yeah, last year I think someone remarked in like March that they had done about 12 shows.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Dr. Agus....again. Running out of guests to book there Gary?

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Lifespan posted:

I'm pretty sure they have taken every federal holiday off for a while now. I'm only sad when they take the whole week off (which is still totally possible).

Yeah somehow it's still a surprise to people even though it's been going on for like 15 years

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

/r/howardstern/ is killing it today

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Moniker posted:

Yeah somehow it's still a surprise to people even though it's been going on for like 15 years

They worked last year on MLK Day, so not really.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Former Human posted:

They worked last year on MLK Day, so not really.

I;m not sure if it was a holiday last year.
My brother (works in Americastan) had it off this year for the first time.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

:lol: https://old.reddit.com/r/howardstern/comments/l0thij/beths_european_modeling_years/ :lol:

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I can't decide if that's funny or horrifying. I think it's both. I tried to watch the whole thing, but my mind said Neigh.

Edit: VVV Keep 'em coming! VVV. I never knew Scarface was "Bad as can", but I'm lovin it.

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 20, 2021

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I'm sorry to keep posting these but this one is loving amazing

https://old.reddit.com/r/howardstern/comments/l0zqdq/who_me_i_dont_know_nuttin_about_no_cocaine/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

A couple days late but guess the wackpacker:

"I don't know anything about Martha Thuther King day, but I know I like Cotton Candy"