Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Nocheez posted:

It's not worth 25 bucks to me. Maybe 10.

Thanks, wishlisted for now in that case. Maybe next time a sale rolls around I'll check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Even as the thread’s resident SpaceEngine Appreciator I can fully admit that it’s mostly a pretty sights simulator. It’s not a game, nor even a particularly interactive experience unless you really like pointing and clicking on tiny dots.

If the desktop version doesn’t catch your interest, the VR version probably won’t either.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That being said, grabbing the fabric of space and collapsing it down until the Boötes Void is roughly the size of a large room and then standing there in what suddenly feels like a chapel made of stars was...really quite something, to me.

And zipping out past the edge of the observable universe, literally everything on one side and nothing but darkness on the other, that was remarkably unsettling. I didn't stay for long.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 19, 2021

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ok thanks for the responses on Star Wars, I'll probably wait a sale or until I finish Half Life Alyx.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
When will X4 get a VR mode

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Leal posted:

When will X4 get a VR mode

Right after they fix it to work with 3000 series cards :eng99:

For real though on a dev stream they said there were no plans for it.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I'm confounded by the person who didn't like Alyx because it doesn't have GTA style joke beer company names

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Pretty good posted:

I'm confounded by the person who didn't like Alyx because it doesn't have GTA style joke beer company names

I think it was more that the game changes tone completely after the intro, which is pretty common, but they really enjoyed the intro more than the rest of the game, which doesn't seem unreasonable to me

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pretty good posted:

I don't agree with that poster but this isn't a very fair argument.

The earlier part definitely front-loaded a bunch of interactions with things like writing on windows and having objects in the lab to look at and play with and then the later levels are mostly walking through ruins shooting zombies. Its not just about joke beer company names.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Thom and the Heads posted:

I use Big Screen with Plex all the time. Works great and has the best viewing environments I've seen so far.

Are you doing it via DLNA or is there a way to call up a browser window or whatever to hit the GUI? I could stream it from my desktop, but just using a browser would be nice.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Warbird posted:

Are you doing it via DLNA or is there a way to call up a browser window or whatever to hit the GUI? I could stream it from my desktop, but just using a browser would be nice.

DLNA. Big Screen has a remote desktop feature but I haven't touched it. DLNA works perfectly for me

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
HL Alyx is overrated. It's immersive but boring. The guns felt bad and the lack of melee was frustrating. (Why can't I smash the headcrab with this cinderblock?) You move slowly from room to room scrounging for ammo so you can put way too many bullets into a slow moving zombie, then move slowly to the next area. No real sense of danger. I didn't end up finishing the game.

My quest 2 developed a weird issue over the holiday where the sensor that detects when it's on your face doesn't work well. I have to really shove it against my face for it to notice turn the display on. I ended up putting a sticker over it and just using the power button to turn it on and off. Cleaning and a factory reset didn't help so Oculus sent me a shipping label and I guess I'm getting a replacement.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'll accept anyone's opinion of Alyx in general, I enjoyed it, some didn't, but one inarguable fact is that the end sequence where you're a pissed off witch wrenching death from the walls and hurling it indiscriminately at your enemies is fuckin' rad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Different strokes for different folks. I find the callout of nothing being dangerous being a little funny though, since I know several people who ripped the headset off the first time a headcrab jumped at them and nope'd out of the game.

The game can't actually hurt you so if you aren't easily spooked I don't know what you could even ask for, other than like Resident Evil 7 level horror. Even then though if you're one of those people who just doesn't get fazed at haunted houses I don't know how VR can threaten you?

So at that point I guess you're just wanting a deeper combat system which is fair but not what Alyx was really shooting for. So yeah, different strokes I guess.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Bad Munki posted:

And zipping out past the edge of the observable universe, literally everything on one side and nothing but darkness on the other, that was remarkably unsettling. I didn't stay for long.

If it makes you feel better...that's just an artifact of the way galaxies are procedurally generated in the program. If that kind of perspective was physically possible in real life, the universe around you would look pretty much the same no matter how far you traveled; the universe being effectively homogeneous and isotropic on the largest scales (it looks the same no matter where you are and what direction you look) is one of the fundamental assumptions underlying all of modern physical cosmology.

It's a hell of a visual, though.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Zaphod42 posted:

Different strokes for different folks. I find the callout of nothing being dangerous being a little funny though, since I know several people who ripped the headset off the first time a headcrab jumped at them and nope'd out of the game.

Don't get me wrong, there were certainly some jump scares that got the heart pumping and the part in the dark tunnels when you first get the flashlight were freaky, but after that it mainly becomes an exercise in sidestepping awkward headcrab hops and shoot 3 times, then carry on.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Luneshot posted:

If it makes you feel better...that's just an artifact of the way galaxies are procedurally generated in the program. If that kind of perspective was physically possible in real life, the universe around you would look pretty much the same no matter how far you traveled; the universe being effectively homogeneous and isotropic on the largest scales (it looks the same no matter where you are and what direction you look) is one of the fundamental assumptions underlying all of modern physical cosmology.

It's a hell of a visual, though.

Yeah, I get all that, but it’s still a visceral sensation for me. I also have an extremely hard time swimming out over the abyss in Subnautica. I guess I just don’t like endless voids. :shobon:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DrBox posted:

Don't get me wrong, there were certainly some jump scares that got the heart pumping and the part in the dark tunnels when you first get the flashlight were freaky, but after that it mainly becomes an exercise in sidestepping awkward headcrab hops and shoot 3 times, then carry on.

Yeah that's fair. The antlions at the end get the blood pumping again since they come in numbers and take multiple shots, but also aren't too bad and are only at the very end for a short bit.

But that's Valve's MO. Like the strider battles in HL2 or Episode 2, its more one big setpiece than like a consistent mechanical sandbox you can go through a bunch of different ways.

I was watching a review of HL2 recently that really highlighted how it doesn't really do anything better than other games. Halo has this "30 seconds of fun" mentality with repeatable combat that you can blast through in a million different ways, but HL2 doesn't at all. The shooting in HL2 is downright bland at times. But people LOVE HL2.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Alyx is fun but I definitely wish they leaned more into the Combine and the city over so much zombie stuff, it's way too dark and scary for most people and without that it'd be the killer intro to VR. It feels like they made a whole game about Ravenholm which was great but also confined to one area.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Also I should say great, not just fun; it's honestly the most polished for VR experience there is and mechanically very accessible, I just wish it was more accessible content-wise.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Virtual Desktop is the thing people use to wifi pc games to the quest right? I have a rift S and want to play normal games on a big movie theater screen, do I want virtual desktop for that too?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hot drat Walkabout Golf rules. Watching down on your friend like some vengeful golf god while they putt is very fun. I really wish they let you throw your club though, I would love to be able to heave a club off into the distance after screwing up a putt

Stan Taylor posted:

Virtual Desktop is the thing people use to wifi pc games to the quest right? I have a rift S and want to play normal games on a big movie theater screen, do I want virtual desktop for that too?
Yes and yes

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

SgtScruffy posted:

I’ve heard it’s your typical length of Vr game these days at ~3 hours of playtime, except that it ends on a cliffhanger of “to be continued in the next DLC coming in a few months!”

So you’re paying $25 for an incomplete game and will have to pay probably $25 more soon. But if you know that going in I’ve heard it’s solid

I just finished it! It was a fun enough Alien Isolation clone. I don't mind episodic releases, but 25 bucks is a little steep for the amount of content.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Stan Taylor posted:

You can use virtual desktop to do that, but if you dont' already own VD, you can also just as easily use bigscreen which is free, if seeing your desktop on a giant movie theater screen is all you want to do.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 19, 2021

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What’s the best way to start troubleshooting my wireless virtual desktop setup?

I have the Archer A6 from amazon fed from a switch which is linked to another switch that contains my PC. Switching and non-quest 2 WiFi equipment is all Ubiquiti UniFi and my regular home access points are set to channels that do not overlap with the Archer.

My Q2 is the only device on the archer. I’m getting stuttering and generally laggy performance. The archer is mounted in a closet directly behind my play space, so the signal needs to travel about 12 feet and through drywall to get where it needs to go

Thoughts?

E: pc is an R5-2600x with a 1080ti and 24GB of ddr4

One thing I had to manually set in my router was ensuring it's on 5ghz and setting the channel width to 80mhz. That solved the initial lagginess I had, if you hadn't set those already.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Leal posted:

My experience with HL2 is shoot mans, drive a vehicle, abruptly stop until I figure out which physics object I need to physics so I can get back into the vehicle and continue moving.

I know I love HL2 as well.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Less Fat Luke posted:

Alyx is fun but I definitely wish they leaned more into the Combine and the city over so much zombie stuff, it's way too dark and scary for most people and without that it'd be the killer intro to VR. It feels like they made a whole game about Ravenholm which was great but also confined to one area.

its part of it being unambitious imo.
its real easy to do a VR horror game since darkness + zombies = instant horror game when you're actually inside the game

thats when i ultimately got put off, I didn't find it scary in the least for whatever reason i think cause the zombies aren't mechanically threatening but it all felt a bit cheap (obviously figuratively, it looks very expensive)
drawing on windows with pens and doing puzzles was a lot more engaging even if the puzzles were just 3d minigames

Zaphod42 posted:

I was watching a review of HL2 recently that really highlighted how it doesn't really do anything better than other games. Halo has this "30 seconds of fun" mentality with repeatable combat that you can blast through in a million different ways, but HL2 doesn't at all. The shooting in HL2 is downright bland at times. But people LOVE HL2.

even at the time the shooting was downright bad compared to other source games. they faithfully recreate the terrible HL2 pistol in alyx and it feels just as bad.
the alyx shotgun is more fun than any HL2 weapon besides the grav gun though

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
I got an index to play Alyx last year and played a lot of VR games before it came out (Moss, Walking Dead S&S, Superhot), and then after Alyx I was basically "done" and nothing else could compare for awhile, I sort of fell off and it just sat there not being used for awhile. Something bit me in the rear end over the last few days and I decided I want to use it as a workout, so I started playing Pistol Whip and Beat Saber again for the first time in awhile, but I also felt like I wanted a new experience to liven it up, so I picked up Until You Fall after skimming the beginning of this thread, and spent about a half hour tonight getting sweaty with swords, and it was a great time. Really looking forward to playing this more (and I noticed I can unlock axes and stuff, that's exciting), glad to have read that recommendation.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Until You Fall looks cool as gently caress

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

explosivo posted:

Until You Fall looks cool as gently caress

It's one of my favorite VR games. Real easy to drop in and play a few runs, get a little better each time, and absolutely tire yourself out. If you've ever played Infinity Blade (or Punch Out) then you should really try it.

edit: plus the soundtrack is cool as gently caress, too

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jan 19, 2021

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It's nice of Valve to let you adjust the SteamVR resolution, but is there a reason why they can't just give us device presets instead of trying to finagle a slider to the closest match, which on the Quest 2 is never exact?

I think 100% should be the device preset render resolution and will always be higher than the native resolution of the physical panel for any HMD. The reason is the distortion correction for shape of lenses vs square panel and because pixels get "lost" doing this procedure more are rendered to account for it.

The shape of the lenses affects it so the 100% for different HMDs varies from their respective panels by different amounts because they have different lenses and different distortions.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Until you fall is great, but make sure you've got a clear area around you when you play it! It gets very fast paced and has you flailing your arms all over the place as well as ducking and dodging and it's easy to become disassociated with your position IRL and end up smacking a wall or a chair or something.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Until you fall is great, but make sure you've got a clear area around you when you play it! It gets very fast paced and has you flailing your arms all over the place as well as ducking and dodging and it's easy to become disassociated with your position IRL and end up smacking a wall or a chair or something.

I learned my lesson the hard way from playing Superhot and knocking a glass off my table onto the floor, I always make sure I have a good amount of room to flail around now. (You can play Until You Fall seated, but I don't go in for that unless the game is specifically meant to be played that way, like Moss for example.)

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

caldrax posted:

I got an index to play Alyx last year and played a lot of VR games before it came out (Moss, Walking Dead S&S, Superhot), and then after Alyx I was basically "done" and nothing else could compare for awhile, I sort of fell off and it just sat there not being used for awhile. Something bit me in the rear end over the last few days and I decided I want to use it as a workout, so I started playing Pistol Whip and Beat Saber again for the first time in awhile, but I also felt like I wanted a new experience to liven it up, so I picked up Until You Fall after skimming the beginning of this thread, and spent about a half hour tonight getting sweaty with swords, and it was a great time. Really looking forward to playing this more (and I noticed I can unlock axes and stuff, that's exciting), glad to have read that recommendation.

Did you do the campaign in Pistol Whip yet? That was a breath of fresh air into my favorite VR game.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

caldrax posted:

Join the Thrill of the Fight cult. Best workout, if you’re not in good shape at the moment (or if you indeed look like Paul Bellini) one fight is likely to fully gas you. Start slow or the next few days will be filled with soreness!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Possibly a dumb question, but in the Rift interface (for non-Steam / Quest games), how the hell do you close games manually? Minecraft doesn't have an Exit Game button that I can see, and I can't seem to do anything from the Rift dashboard either.

How do other fitness apps stack up btw? Thrill of the Fight is okay but pretty bare-bones, and keeps doing irritating things like spawning the opponent way too close for comfort, putting you at 90 degrees to everything and making you 'step into your corner' before fights even when you want to be stationary. Also having to tap and scroll things in the menu with your big boxing mittens instead of using a pointer. They don't seem to have thought about usability here, even if the fighting mechanics are really well done.

e: Since it was mentioned earlier in the thread, there's now an entire section on the Oculus support site about replacing the facial interface on the Quest 2 due to the number of people complaining about irritation, so get on that if you haven't.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 19, 2021

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Shlapintogan posted:

It's one of my favorite VR games. Real easy to drop in and play a few runs, get a little better each time, and absolutely tire yourself out. If you've ever played Infinity Blade (or Punch Out) then you should really try it.

edit: plus the soundtrack is cool as gently caress, too

I just grabbed this one on advice from the thread, plus wanting to have something Quest 2 native to take with me when I visit friends. I'm starting to think VR is going to be the hack that gets me un-gooned, since now I frankly have a way to get exercise that doesn't require me to leave the house or take up all the space in my tiny apartment.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

even when you want to be stationary

:thunk:

TotF is kind of a class of its own in terms of workout. Beat Saber can get your heartrate up on the higher levels (turn off failure and just keep burning through songs). Pistol Whip too but I used to fence and it really activated the "don't move more than you have to to avoid the shots" muscle memory so it's pretty light for me, others say it's more of a workout.

The fitness-specific apps I haven't tried but I heard generally "meh" things about them.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Lockback posted:

:thunk:

TotF is kind of a class of its own in terms of workout. Beat Saber can get your heartrate up on the higher levels (turn off failure and just keep burning through songs). Pistol Whip too but I used to fence and it really activated the "don't move more than you have to to avoid the shots" muscle memory so it's pretty light for me, others say it's more of a workout.

The fitness-specific apps I haven't tried but I heard generally "meh" things about them.

It's funny because Beat Saber did that to me, at least as far as avoiding walls goes. (And what muscle memory a semester of fencing in college can give a guy.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

I’ve figured out a pretty fool proof combo to spam in Thrill of the Fight that I need to stop leaning on so much since it trivializes a lot of the fights through the highest difficulty (jab body, cross body, jab, r hook). For a while I was also flicking the controllers by holding on to the bottom of the controllers to add extra momentum to my jab/cross that I’ve finally got myself to stop doing.

It’s pretty legit as a boxing sim and I’m excited for the sequel. And yeah it’s definitely by far the best VR workout I’ve found.