Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
This looks cool. Space RTS coming to EA later this year, supposedly includes some amount of logistics and 4X elements. Really nice mechanical design and great looking destruction physics and I think it's primarily a one-man game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuE6gveOJMc
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1280190/Falling_Frontier/

Something about it reminds me a little of Starsector, I think its the small-to-medium scope, weapon arcs and relatively deliberate combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mordja posted:

Age of the Ring, that big BFME2 mod I efforted about a while back just released their newest version. Its biggest features are the addition of the Woodland Realms aka moar elfs, a big surprise update to Erebor and a completely new AI. I'm especially looking forward to that last one, because BFME2's bots are pretty miserable to play against, ignoring your units and beelining straight towards your resource buildings. This new one apparently engages your armies, uses hero abilities and spellbook powers, and expands its base effectively. The update also includes a host of smaller fixes and new art.
They've also got a guide to installing and running all of the BFME games here: https://forums.revora.net/topic/105190-bfme1bfme2rotwk-games-download-installation-guide/

Oh my god. I love BFME 2 and ROTWK. I never really stopped playing them. Seeing the community actually being active and releasing mods blows my mind. Downloading now!

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Mordja posted:

This looks cool. Space RTS coming to EA later this year, supposedly includes some amount of logistics and 4X elements. Really nice mechanical design and great looking destruction physics and I think it's primarily a one-man game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuE6gveOJMc
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1280190/Falling_Frontier/

Something about it reminds me a little of Starsector, I think its the small-to-medium scope, weapon arcs and relatively deliberate combat.

this looks cool and kind of gives me Nexus Jupiter Incident vibes, which I really enjoyed

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

GyverMac posted:

Oh my god. I love BFME 2 and ROTWK. I never really stopped playing them. Seeing the community actually being active and releasing mods blows my mind. Downloading now!
It's a really well made mod with a very active community on Discord and even a small multiplayer scene. Well planned out too, they've got two major versions left before they pretty much call it content-complete.

Captain Beans posted:

this looks cool and kind of gives me Nexus Jupiter Incident vibes, which I really enjoyed
According to the dev, Nexus and Conquest: Frontier Wars were two of his bigger inspirations. A youtuber made a really in-depth summary over here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBOreVx6Z1M

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Oh man I played the gently caress out of conquest frontier wars. Game looks sick

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
After letting it sit in my backlog for years I finally started playing Age of Empires 3.

I am going to come down on the "it's good" side of the divide. It's certainly different from AoE2, but I'm enjoying it. It's home city system is interesting. It's UI is rather outdated however.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mordja posted:

It's a really well made mod with a very active community on Discord and even a small multiplayer scene. Well planned out too, they've got two major versions left before they pretty much call it content-complete.

Yeah I'm playing the Lord of the rings campaign, and its incredibly well made. On par with the original campaigns of the base game, if not better.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

What are your go-to civilizations/cultures in strategy games set in our world? I tend to gravitate towards Spain, Italy and China a lot of the time. If it's a Paradox game I'll check out the Indian thunderbowl too, but outside that I don't prioritize them.

e: if it's an ancient setting then the Egyptians.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 27, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The same civ I play in fictional locales. Random :cool:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flail Snail posted:

I'm looking for a new tactical game a la X-COM but haven't managed to find much ever since Steam's "related game" functionality became a bit poo poo. I've got pretty much all of the X-COM games, including the series stinkers Apocalypse and Bureau. I've got (and have enjoyed) the Mutant game. Additionally, my interests lie with something a bit more like Depth of Extinction - there's no real time limit, you can find (rather than "purchase") new party members through play, your party members can gain new abilities as you progress, and there are side quest type things you can do - but a bit less mind-numbingly samey as that game's missions. Is this another white whale to add to my pile of white whales?

Not exactly the same thing have you tried the Shadowrun games?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mantis42 posted:

What are your go-to civilizations/cultures in strategy games set in our world? I tend to gravitate towards Spain, Italy and China a lot of the time. If it's a Paradox game I'll check out the Indian thunderbowl too, but outside that I don't prioritize them.

Yeah, I am also guilty of favoring Spain and Ancient/Classic Egypt in most historical strategy games.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
If it's mapped to the real world I end up playing in the British Isles a lot since it's kind of innately forgiving. Also China a lot, since a lot of its history maps well to my micromanagey centralization oriented playstyle. Also go for Mesopotamian civs a lot if I'm going for an antiquity vibe.

It depends a lot on the game though. In Age of Empires being China I can make a nice square city and legions of crossbowmen and feel very imperial and stuff, but Civ's chaoticness doesn't really highlight that stuff so well. I almost never play barbarians/bandits/pirates since so many of these games are modeled on building a centralized civilization controlling half the map that just doesn't mesh well with their kind of hectic style without monumental buildings; Total War: Attila is like the only game that actually makes the burning down and looting process feel fulfilling and sustainable for a campaign imo.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

America, mainly because it’s funny as heck to me to play a game set before like the 1600s that tries to square that circle. At least in Civ and Rise of Nations you can have George Washington’s phalanxes crush the Romans.

Serious answer: Brazil for paradox games is usually fun for being the relative big fish in the pond, but not fighting other great powers at first. Otherwise whoever gets the best tech and economy bonuses cause building a massive empire is part of the point.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mantis42 posted:

Depends on the game and the era. Medieval games I like to play as the english because they usually have longbowmen, and I love to pick my enemies off from afar. 1700s or 1800s I like to play as the Austro-hungarian empire. They usually got a nice selection of varied units and cool uniforms too.

For ancient settings I like the Carthaginians. Historically great traders and explores, so usually they have some sort of bonuses in relation to this, and i love making fat stacks of cash in these games. Also their reliance on mercenaries mean you can get a colourful and interesting army with a lot of options. Europa Barbarorum 1 and 2 mods for the total war games really did the carthaginians justice in that regard.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Mantis42 posted:

I enjoy playing as the historical underdogs, so Serbia in WWI, Italy in WWII, that kind of crap. I also like trying to break games, so as an example, in one of the Making History series, I played as Nicaragua and tried to invade the United States while it was preoccupied in Europe. That didn't go very well and I only made it as far as Mexico.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

I'm unimaginative and go with the Romans.

I uninstalled europa universalis after playing as a native American tribe for two weeks when I learned that nothing I could do would ever let me beat European tech research. Totally ruined my plans for taking over Europe as a United indigenous people's collective.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

frogge posted:

I'm unimaginative and go with the Romans.

I uninstalled europa universalis after playing as a native American tribe for two weeks when I learned that nothing I could do would ever let me beat European tech research. Totally ruined my plans for taking over Europe as a United indigenous people's collective.

Sounds like somebody needs the Crusader Kings Sunset Invasion.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Oh man I might have flipped those two in my head. EU/CK. That looks awesome.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

frogge posted:

Oh man I might have flipped those two in my head. EU/CK. That looks awesome.

Tech research sounds like an EU thing (which I think can be overcome with westernization), but CK2 Sunset Invasion is such a fun little idea. Or at least it was twenty dlc ago, I haven't checked in lately.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Westernization hasn't been a thing in EU4 for years. Now your tech costs are based on 'institutions' that you can force to spawn in your territory by spamming development.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Looks like that Starship Troopers RTS is still a thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLMLusw4efU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Mordja posted:

Love the concept

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm trying to track down the name of a game that I played in the early 90s: It was like a WW2 simulator of a kind but the game play was like a series of strategic mini-games. Like one game was you dog fighting in a sort of side-on view, while another was you making bombing runs with a top down view of the map while you hit certain targets. I thought it was called Red Baron, but upon looking it up, that's a totally different game. I got it at Radioshack in like 1993-94. I'm sure that's a terrible description but there it is.

Edit: Found it!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ancient_Art_of_War_in_the_Skies

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 3, 2021

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So I've got a question about all of those Factory games, which I don't play. Why do they all feature a player character you move around either from a top-down view (Factorio, Dyson Sphere) or in first-person (Satisfactory) instead of using standard RTS controls anyways?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Mordja posted:

So I've got a question about all of those Factory games, which I don't play. Why do they all feature a player character you move around either from a top-down view (Factorio, Dyson Sphere) or in first-person (Satisfactory) instead of using standard RTS controls anyways?

logistics are a core theme of them. so much of the game is about moving resources around effeciently, it wouldn't make sense to be able to magically teleport to the other side of your base to construct buildings, set up defenses, refill smelters, etc.

Shapez.io gives you an rts style god mode but it's scope is a lot smaller than the others. There also one that's a factory + tower defense hybrid which I forget the name of

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

Might be thinking of mindustry, for which having a player character is really helpful to see who's doing what in multiplayer.
That game also allows you to take control of units and structures, which is cool.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also it helps sell that increasing level of power/complexity to go from laboriously mining coal or gathering wood by hand to, an hour later, having a giant sprawling industrial complex doing all of that hard work for you.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Yeah, Factorio started as a riff on crafting games, with its added gimmick (automation) very, very quickly taking a life of its own and then it got cargo culted because Factorio did it.

It does have some advantages though, like giving a palpable sense of progression (giving you means to do things by hand so you can appreciate finding ways to not have to do that anymore). Also by locking you to a single place at a time it gives more weight to stuff like unlocking new modes of transportation.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mordja posted:

Here is a 1 hour gameplay reveal from a stream they did recently. It looks a bit rough around the edges animation wise, but it is a work in progress though. Core gameplay looks promising though!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z9NndYkPv4

I love the quirkiness and satire of the movie, so hopefully they will keep that in the game!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Just dropping by to say that after watching clips from Fury thanks to Youtube autoplay and then getting inspired to play modded CoH2 again for compstomps that tanks are cool and wrangling a platoon of Easy Eights in order to slaughter Nazis is well worth the effort. Only lost one tank due to the spotty pathfinding of Essence Engine vehicles and managed to salvage it for the final push!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Bad pathfinding is a sign of a good RTS apparently

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
BAR has just hit open alpha, instructions on the page. It's basically a modern fork of Balanced Annihilation for TA Spring, with brand new graphics and balance. Here are some walking robots:

Mordja fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 17, 2021

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
A bunch of Starcraft modders have launched a (already successful) kickstarter for their game, Immortal: Gates of Pyre, hoping to make classic base building RTSes more accessible without major changes to the skill ceiling: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sunspeargames/gates-of-pyre

I backed it because one of the guys, Jakatak, made TheCore, a custom hotkey layout that I use in SC2. Well, it's more like a series of hotkey layouts, as they've periodically updated it in the hopes of more efficiency. Anyway, anyone who can nerd out for so long at that level of detail is someone I want helping design an RTS, so I'm in, even though I have qualms about some of their design decisions.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Mordja posted:

[url=https://www.beyondallreason.info/news/alpha-games-are-running-how-to-set-up-a-match]BAR has just hit open alpha, instructions on the page.[/spring] It's basically a modern fork of Balanced Annihilation for TA Spring, with brand new graphics and balance. Here are some walking robots:

Kinda interested in this. I bought ta on a whim a while back and it's a great game with some solid viewing pro matches. I'd love to see that style of rts blow up and get a larger viewer base

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1500970/BlackChain/

A new indie RTS just popped up on steam for five bucks, and it seems interesting. It's set in a future where giant corporations use cryptocurrency (I think that's where 'BlackChain' comes in, as a pun on 'blockchain'), and the campaign is looking to be similar in gameplay execution to StarCraft, except you mine bitcoins and have to keep buildings separate enough for the bitcoin miners to stay cool (heat makes them slow down when mining bitcoins).

There's also a StarCraft style briefing for each campaign mission, and since you're working for a megacorp, it shows the various corporations' stock values rising and falling before each mission (although I think it's just fluff, fun fluff though). I hope to play more past the first two missions when I have more time.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

drkeiscool posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1500970/BlackChain/

A new indie RTS just popped up on steam for five bucks, and it seems interesting. It's set in a future where giant corporations use cryptocurrency (I think that's where 'BlackChain' comes in, as a pun on 'blockchain'), and the campaign is looking to be similar in gameplay execution to StarCraft, except you mine bitcoins and have to keep buildings separate enough for the bitcoin miners to stay cool (heat makes them slow down when mining bitcoins).

There's also a StarCraft style briefing for each campaign mission, and since you're working for a megacorp, it shows the various corporations' stock values rising and falling before each mission (although I think it's just fluff, fun fluff though). I hope to play more past the first two missions when I have more time.

Nice link, thanks! Will try it out. Was wondering why we don't have more Starcraft-likes.

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004
Age of Empires Online - Celeste released the Roman civilization this week. It was in development when the game was originally shut down, but the server devs kept working on it and finally completed everything. I have not yet had a chance to try out the Romans, but I do highly recommend the server.

For those that haven't tried AOEO, it's a decent implementation of an RTS MMO. The gameplay feels like it's most similar to Age of Mythology without the mythical units, and you get loot and items that you can use to outfit your units. The live game had a number of design and monetization problems, but this iteration generally fixes those and is pretty entertaining.

https://forums.projectceleste.com/

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Any recommendation for an RTS with a cool SP campaign? I mentioned Sacrifice a bit upthread, but I feel like I've exhausted the replay value of that one by now. I really liked AoM's character driven story approach and the scenarios were cool imo. Anything along those lines?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I can't imagine you've not played them, but I think Starcraft/Warcraft 3 are the big daddies of narrative driven RTS campaigns. Homeworld and Deserts of Kharak are also beloved, though they're not character-driven in any sense. And of course there are the Westwood games, which are famously campy nonsense- RA2's campaign is a blast. I'm just listing all the famous RTSes here.

Less famous is... Battle Realms? I haven't thought about Battle Realms in years, but I definitely remember it having lots of cutscenes and characters and plot beats. I won't swear to it being good- I can't remember it well enough.

Populous: The Beginning I adore, and plays most like Sacrifice, but I'm not going to claim that its SP campaign has any sort of narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Battle Realms is great and has a recent remake (i havent played) out.

I’d also like to mention Dawn of War 1 and 2 and Battle for Middle earth.

Less character driven but still with fun scenarios are the non mythology age of empires games, Company of heroes (basically just saving private ryan), world in conflict and the Men of War series