Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

mandatory lesbian posted:

Zuckerburg is such a garbage person and yet this guy found the like one thing he does thats totally innocuous to get offended over

also as someone in the comments pointed out, that's a way more normal answer than the question itself of "what media do you like to consume"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

FuzzySlippers posted:

I wanna fill that score victory hole in my hall of fame but I've never had the patience to wait it out. Besides selecting quick speed is there anything else to reduce the tedium?

I play on quick on small map size. Also, pick what victory type you’re going for pretty early and then focus on it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

FuzzySlippers posted:

I wanna fill that score victory hole in my hall of fame but I've never had the patience to wait it out. Besides selecting quick speed is there anything else to reduce the tedium?

You can set a lower turn limit. You can even set a turn limit of 1 and play as Russia, found your city to instantly win.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Stefan Prodan posted:

also as someone in the comments pointed out, that's a way more normal answer than the question itself of "what media do you like to consume"

Totally. Who the gently caress speaks like that? He is the one sounding like a robot

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Elias_Maluco posted:

Totally. Who the gently caress speaks like that? He is the one sounding like a robot

Negative.
You are error.
Specified statement is within normal humanoid parameters.
Suggested other nominal statements include "What is your preferential nourishment establishment?" and "May I have a handheld receptacle containing dihydrogen monoxide?"
Your query is as humorous as asking if the value of 0 subtracting the integer 1 is anything other than 255.
Ha.
Ha.
Ha.

Ghandi has just declared war on you.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
Next pack details:

https://twitter.com/civgame/status/1351560046186881025?s=21

Vietnam
Kublai Khan (new leader for Mongolia/China)
Corporations & monopolies mode
New preserve district

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The corporations/monopolies/new district look right up my alley. And City Lights just got a new content update. Can’t wait to hop back in for a new game once that’s updated to this patch.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Civilization VI: I Get A Little Bit, Kublai Khan?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I love it! This sounds like the best game mode so far. Finally something interesting to do with all that extra wine in Europe on the Firaxis earth map.

Some fantastic roleplay options with this mode and Vietnam sounds fun too. I will buy.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Plague expansion when?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Organic Lube User posted:

Plague expansion when?

There's an official Black Death scenario included in one of the dlc's, does that count?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

That Grove district sounds perfect for making some of the Natural Wonders even more insane, I love it.

I'm also intrigued to find out if it makes Ley Lines better as well, or gets any good effects from Ley Lines.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

skeleton warrior posted:

That Grove district sounds perfect for making some of the Natural Wonders even more insane, I love it.

I'm also intrigued to find out if it makes Ley Lines better as well, or gets any good effects from Ley Lines.

I'm thinking about how it will pair with Roosevelt, give me all of the appeal

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The Glumslinger posted:

I'm thinking about how it will pair with Roosevelt, give me all of the appeal

Australia seems like it would also benefit quite a bit.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
That new district seems like a very welcome revamp of the National Parks concept, which I almost never bother with because the requirements are so specific. And the corporations mode sounds awesome. Really jazzed for this.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So what's the run-down on the new Corporations game mode? I'm at work and can't watch vids at the moment.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

chaosapiant posted:

So what's the run-down on the new Corporations game mode? I'm at work and can't watch vids at the moment.

If you get multiple of one luxury you can build an industry giving certain bonuses to the city (eg gems giving +25% gold production to their connected city, a few others giving extra housing or reduced production costs, that kinda stuff) and great merchant points. Get even more and you can turn that industry into a corporation giving extra bonuses and products which you can ship around your stock exchanges or seaports kind of like how you can move works of art around your own museums for extra yields in those cities. If you get a monopoly you can build a monopoly (extra gold depending on how much of the world market you've cornered and your trade routes with other civs).

Personally I'm really excited for this.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Deltasquid posted:

If you get multiple of one luxury you can build an industry giving certain bonuses to the city (eg gems giving +25% gold production to their connected city, a few others giving extra housing or reduced production costs, that kinda stuff) and great merchant points. Get even more and you can turn that industry into a corporation giving extra bonuses and products which you can ship around your stock exchanges or seaports kind of like how you can move works of art around your own museums for extra yields in those cities. If you get a monopoly you can build a monopoly (extra gold depending on how much of the world market you've cornered and your trade routes with other civs).

Holy poo poo that sounds awesome! Man...Civilization 7 is going to be an empty loving game on release by comparison.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

Man...Civilization 7 is going to be an empty loving game on release by comparison.

I've been assuming that all these extra modes are partly market research for Civ 7 features. Which ones do people use a lot, which ones get ignored, which ones generate angry letters, etc.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Deltasquid posted:

Thats the first new game mode to actually get me interested

drat, sounds like something that could be added to the base game

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
The stated design philosophy for Civ is something like 33% old mechanics brought back 33% something entirely new and 33% old mechanics but definitely more reworked, so we're always going to get bits and pieces of this sort've stuff if we get the next Civ.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Elias_Maluco posted:

Thats the first new game mode to actually get me interested

drat, sounds like something that could be added to the base game

Me too. I know some people dig the fantastic/hero stuff, but it doesn't move me at all.

Civ 4 had corporations, right? But they acted more like religion, if I remember correctly.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Glass of Milk posted:

Civ 4 had corporations, right? But they acted more like religion, if I remember correctly.

Sort've. You founded a corporation with a great person, and that made a corporate headquarters in the city. You could spread the corp via executive untis that functioned identically to missionaries, then the corporation would give yields for the presence of its associated resources in the city but suck up gold in that city, however the corporate headquarters generated gold in turn.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

This sounds like much better gameplay to be had from spare luxuries instead of trying to screw the AI in trade deals, drat. It fits right in from the sound of it, too, and makes sense from a historically themed perspective!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Glass of Milk posted:

Me too. I know some people dig the fantastic/hero stuff, but it doesn't move me at all.

Both heroes and the secret societies stuff seems way too OP to my taste

Than there's the super eras stuff that seems exaggerated to me with those dark eras flipping all your cities. And finally I never liked disasters that much to want more of it

But this corporations stuff seems right up my alley

edit: I think I don't like the other game. does cause they seems to change the experience too much, like by making the whole game to revolve around mega disasters or getting era points or making vampires or whatnot. It makes it a whole new game. This instead seems like it would be a fine addition to the civ experience

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 19, 2021

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Heroes do make the game really easy also by giving you a way to easily bop the CPU during the period of the game where it has the biggest advantage over you, in the early game. Because of that they make even Deity a cakewalk compared to how it used to be.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Organic Lube User posted:

Plague expansion when?

XCOM (alien invasion) expansion when?

Also who is the leader for Vietnam? The Trung Sisters?

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
the storm references are making me think Lady Triệu

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

So will Kublai work like Eleanor basically?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rimusutera posted:

the storm references are making me think Lady Triệu

Yeah, someone on reddit found a thumbnail of the leaderhead and it's her.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Elias_Maluco posted:

Than there's the super eras stuff that seems exaggerated to me with those dark eras flipping all your cities.

I found that the AI simply could not handle losing cities, and ended up not warring at all as a result.

So I went into the XML and changed the number of cities lost to 0 for this mode. This allows me to play the mode for the good reasons like getting golden age points for actual good play instead of those stupid devotions at the start of every age. It's also more fun to be able to slot in golden age policies in the government screen instead of the default way.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I like the chaos the dark eras create even though it is definitely a handicap on the AI. I tend to play fairly peaceful but the free cities keep me on my toes even if I chain golden ages. In my last game one of my neighbors had two dark ages in a row and ended up losing all of their central cities. They kept only the frontier and this mass of free cities was chaos for everyone around them like a more interesting barbarian invasion wave.

edit: a lot of the base game's logic seems to live in lua. I wonder how possible it would be for a sequel to not rewrite the lua side and try to keep many existing features and build around them. It'd be amazing for a Civ sequel to bring forward most of it's predecessor's systems and just add new features, new rendering, new art, tweak the content, etc instead of a big ol' reset.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 20, 2021

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I'm still hoping for some sort of dovetailed colonisation and independence revolt system in the future. For something that was such a large part of human history, civ sure makes it a difficult to justify investment to produce settlers to send off to another continent if you're going to lose them at some point.

I'm thinking kind of how the board game did it; a continent or landmasses that you can't interact with except by colonising them. Maybe a specific map type like terra, or a specific game mode, where the new world is only possible to be settled with a cheaper version of the settler called colonists and whose cities try to break off after a set amount of turns? That way you have the low opportunity cost (avoiding scaling of your culture or science requirements like in civ v, or the large production sink in both civs v and vi) to temporarily gain access to new world resources, but starting from the industrial era you'll have to trade for them with the newly independent new world colonies which found new fully fledged civilisations?

I'm just spitballing here. I know players don't enjoy the "rise and fall" mechanic for themselves because nobody wants to suffer setbacks, but framing colonies explicitly as "either don't invest in them or invest in them for a temporary bonus that falls away in the late game, there's no way to keep them forever" might make losing the colonies easier to stomach?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Personally I'd just like for the AI to learn how to play its own game.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I mean, that too. But if you'd let me have my way I'd straight up make the AI play by a different ruleset than the player, kind of like how barbarians and city-states operate, instead of making them a really dumb version of the player that faffs around.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
I'm really digging this update. I'm going to try and win a cultural victory with the Mapuche without using theatre squares. Just crank out the preserves, chemamulls, ski resorts and national parks.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Wait? Is the update out already?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

January 28, if I'm not mistaken.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think EUIV had a solid system. Settling a single province worked as any other settlement, but once you had claimed enough territory on a given continent, it'd automatically break off and become its own nation. The nation would be a colony, which was a sort of vassal so you'd have an alliance and could tax them. If you kept your taxes low and didn't let the french/british gently caress up their poo poo, they'd stay loyal and even work to spread your pretty borders even further, but if they were unhappy, they'd declare independence and could usually rope in any independent colonies and any colonial powers who want to see you fail to back them up.

Civ is not a game that would benefit from that level of complexity, but if it did have a vassal system, I can see a colony system working. Designate any cities that are nowhere near your borders as potential colonies, and make them one when there's enough of them in one place. Then you have a series of interactions that give you various benefits at the cost of loyalty, with a declaration/war of independence when they're unhappy enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Kanfy posted:

Personally I'd just like for the AI to learn how to play its own game.

Yeah. I love the NFP game modes but man the AI sucks at them. We talked about it a few pages ago, but the AI will make hundreds of cultists and never use them. Poundmaker even swarmed a city of his that I had taken with them but never used them. They just sat there.

I’m still loving the game but it’d be cool if the AI could actually play and not just receive buffs.