Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I've been cutting my own hair, but since I'm basically required to have a very conservative haircut it's stupid easy for me. I feel bad for women more than men because men's professional/classic haircuts are short, easy to maintain, and easy as poo poo to do. Plus if you gently caress up too much you can always just cut shorter and have it be fine.

My wife normally colors her hair a bit and she's really unhappy that she can't do that and prefers a bit of a shorter look meanwhile I'm popping downstairs like "CHECK THIS OUT!" when I'm happy with my self-haircut.

Going to a barber is so stupid when you might die about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I did half-assed respectable self-haircuts at home a time or two, but now I just buzz it all with the #1 and call it a day.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
My hair has never looked better. :biglips:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Can someone please point me to that graph showing why a variant that’s 50% more infectious causes tons more deaths than one that’s 50% deadlier? I’m having a hell of a time googling it.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

Zugzwang posted:

Do you know what particular test they used?

Contamination of some kind is always possible, particularly in an overworked lab. Some tests also have more false positives than others for various reasons.

Hard to say for sure what happened from a single result though.

It was a PCR test. Results in 2-3 days. I even followed up with a rapid test from CVS that was also negative.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Zugzwang posted:

Can someone please point me to that graph showing why a variant that’s 50% more infectious causes tons more deaths than one that’s 50% deadlier? I’m having a hell of a time googling it.

https://www.cfr.org/in-brief/how-dangerous-are-new-covid-19-strains

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just got my round 1 vaccination :hellyeah:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

liz posted:

It was a PCR test. Results in 2-3 days. I even followed up with a rapid test from CVS that was also negative.
Yeah, I might chalk this one up to “poo poo happens” then. Testing negative twice after that, especially if many days after, suggests a false positive. This virus is pretty :cthulhu:

Thanks! :buddy:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I used to go to a barber and pay him to give me a #3 buzz cut for years and years, thanks to the pandemic I found out that it's super super easy to do it myself. That's gonna save me a bunch of money (if I don't catch covid and die). Thanks covid!

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I'm just stick with looking like Stu Mackenzie for a little while longer.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I hide all my hair in a hat

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

withak posted:

On the plus side, your hair probably looks better than everyone else's here.

Shame no one gon see it apart from his fam

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Well, the day I feared finally came. My boss just did a "Schedule everybody to be in the office at least two days a week. This is non-negotiable" order. And this is all because the one dipshit in our department has been going into the office every day since quarantine started and my boss and this dipshit have been the only two people in there every day. So his reasoning is most certainly because being in the office = work is getting done and we're not pulling as much weight as dipshit despite mountains of evidence showing we can operate perfectly fine from home.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

explosivo posted:

Well, the day I feared finally came. My boss just did a "Schedule everybody to be in the office at least two days a week. This is non-negotiable" order. And this is all because the one dipshit in our department has been going into the office every day since quarantine started and my boss and this dipshit have been the only two people in there every day. So his reasoning is most certainly because being in the office = work is getting done and we're not pulling as much weight as dipshit despite mountains of evidence showing we can operate perfectly fine from home.
That sucks. Can you at least stagger schedules to minimize the number of people in at any one time?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

explosivo posted:

dont negotiate with your boss or dipshit, organize with everyone else.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

explosivo posted:

Solidarity friendo.

I realized why my office is so gung ho on having us in 100% - we’re hiring. My office is going to be crowded even further, not to mention the interviews going on. Very cool!!!!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Zugzwang posted:

That sucks. Can you at least stagger schedules to minimize the number of people in at any one time?

Yeah I'd be the one making this schedule so I am trying to keep as few people in the office at a time as possible.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

withak posted:

On the plus side, your hair probably looks better than everyone else's here.

It doesn't :( i had gone 6 months without a haircut and it was the first time i left my fn house in 3 months.

Followed protocol had a mask and a visor on and welp, didn't matter. (I tested negative but Public Health directives stay the same, you get exposed=you stay home for 2 weeks even with a negative result)

I literally have seen 3 people in 6 months. My wife, kid and the ONE time i left the house to get rid of the monstrosity.

I'm kicking myself as much as I'm getting dogpiled trust me.

Also for context, I'm not American. The cases are bad here but my province is still solidly below the shitshow results the States are having :(

stab fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 19, 2021

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
lol the school system is sending us back before they vaccinate us, also you don't have to get one to go back into the school buildings. I've spent a goddamn year almost staying in my neighborhood, and at home to try to help reduce spread and its all basically for nothing.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Whats the percentage of kids who obeying mask discipline ? I have seen a respectable number of kids and parents obeying mask discipline here. The older people are the worst about obeying and that's not a huge surprise really.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

lol the school system is sending us back before they vaccinate us, also you don't have to get one to go back into the school buildings. I've spent a goddamn year almost staying in my neighborhood, and at home to try to help reduce spread and its all basically for nothing.

I think MD is starting 1C next week. You should be on that right?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

stab posted:

Followed protocol had a mask and a visor on and welp, didn't matter. (I tested negative but Public Health directives stay the same, you get exposed=you stay home for 2 weeks even with a negative result)

If your hairdresser was wearing a mask you might be ok

if not, why would you go in

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

pro starcraft loser posted:

I think MD is starting 1C next week. You should be on that right?

We were privately told not to hold our breath about there being enough vaccinations, but who knows

also I mean that doesnt exactly help my wife, so even if vaccinated I get to go into work and bring her back coronavirus or just not see her until school ends lol

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

stab posted:

It doesn't :( i had gone 6 months without a haircut and it was the first time i left my fn house in 3 months

And it worked out fantastically for you, didn’t it?

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

AARP LARPer posted:

I'm certain dogpiling on this a second time will get the point even more effectively than the first.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Inept posted:

Mask and faceshield on both ends.

AARP LARPer posted:

Is there a reason why you're being a dick? I took the necessary precautions as listed by my public health, followed all the proper protocols, got unlucky, and then followed all the directives as per my government.

It's more a cautionary tale of how you can be unlucky even with a small amount of risk assumed. I agree that it wasn't entirely necessary 100%, and I was expressing my frustration at how one fn haircut locked me up for 2 weeks.

For context, my province infection rates is only outperformed by Hawaii currently. And I'm not in a major metropolitan city so the infection rates is a tenth of what's listed. For the day i was exposed, my city declared THREE cases. I was exposed by one of the 3.

I will go full goon and lock myself in forever trust me.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Just checked and the last time I had a haircut was March 4th. Yeah I wear a hat.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This just so happened to be the year that I embraced shaving my head instead of trying to pretend like I still can grow a full head of hair. Bought one of those electric razors to shave your head bald earlier in the year and I'm loving it. You, too, can be a chrome dome fellow goons!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

military cervix posted:

I'm certain dogpiling on this a second time will get the point even more effectively than the first.

These stupid decisions in their aggregate are why we have a raging pandemic, so go gently caress yourself.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

AARP LARPer posted:

These stupid decisions in their aggregate are why we have a raging pandemic, so go gently caress yourself.

Yes, it's that one goon's fault for getting a haircut. nothing to do with systemic and cascading public health failures.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It’s easy to be an aut dipshit online and kick off at every small mistake. It takes too much thought to wonder why other countries might have all but eliminated it through govt action.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Inept posted:

What I'm wondering is, how the hell do you cut the hair of someone who's wearing a mask and visor?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

What I'm wondering is, how the hell do you cut the hair of someone who's wearing a mask and visor?

bowl cuts only,

also guys he admitted he made a mistake, I know its frustrating as hell to have stayed home for a drat year and people go out but like most of my neighbors go out and have large gatherings without a drat care in the world and he made one mistake. You gotta put this poo poo into perspective.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Very carefully.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

When the hairdresser got next to each ear I'd remove the mask around my ear and hold it in place. When they were done, we would stop and readjust my mask while the hairdresser would be at a distance.

For the visor part, same principle when working around the band.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

stab posted:

When the hairdresser got next to each ear I'd remove the mask around my ear and hold it in place. When they were done, we would stop and readjust my mask while the hairdresser would be at a distance.

For the visor part, same principle when working around the band.

That is actually extremely careful of you. Most people would have just removed them both for the duration.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

That is actually extremely careful of you. Most people would have just removed them both for the duration.

I got a haircut over the summer when cases were at their all-time low in my area and that was the standard procedure. Definitely would not have been OK with taking it off completely.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Bape Culture posted:

It’s easy to be an aut dipshit

lol check this guy's rapsheet

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Bape Culture posted:

It’s easy to be an aut dipshit online

please explain what you mean by this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
This is the time to reclaim skinhead culture as a working class solidarity movement.