Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Are there any plans for them to release the artbook/script in NA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
God, just thinking about Hijiyama realizing he's being findommed, not wanting to confront all these emotions and deciding to just swallow four more yakisoba pans. Finally a bisexual character that is just like me.

Any chance someone knows what font the game uses?

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 18, 2021

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Talorat posted:

I definitely read it the way WrightOfWay did, especially with the bits about him taking Tomoe on a date to the old school building.

I don't think that was a date? I read Okino's joke about how bad Hijiyama is at picking dates as more referencing how Okino's well aware of that fact because they're a couple.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Jesus gently caress, game, I swear to GOD, NOW I'M SUPPOSED TO BELIEVE THAT YUKI IS NATSUNO'S MOM??? FROM THE FUTURE????? IN SPACE?????????? IS AMIGUCHI THE FATHER BECAUSE I CAN'T HANDLE THIS poo poo RIGHT NOW, I AM EMOTIONALLY FRAGILE

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

S.J. posted:

Jesus gently caress, game, I swear to GOD, NOW I'M SUPPOSED TO BELIEVE THAT YUKI IS NATSUNO'S MOM??? FROM THE FUTURE????? IN SPACE?????????? IS AMIGUCHI THE FATHER BECAUSE I CAN'T HANDLE THIS poo poo RIGHT NOW, I AM EMOTIONALLY FRAGILE

strap on, cowboy, the real 13 sentinels: aegis rim is beginning

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

S.J. posted:

This post gives me energy.

Also, when I ran into the same reveal:

:same:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

"Pause and reevaluate" is the 13 Sentinels mantra

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
someone said there's a new event that shows up in the archive after you finish the game but I'm not seeing it?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

morallyobjected posted:

someone said there's a new event that shows up in the archive after you finish the game but I'm not seeing it?

Should be at the very bottom of All Events, has a picture of the new planet in the preview screen.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Okay, Yuki getting a little jealous for a second when Shinonome asks to ride with Amiguchi on his bike in the first city/9th wave after battle sequence was super cute

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

MorningMoon posted:

Should be at the very bottom of All Events, has a picture of the new planet in the preview screen.

maybe I'm just not getting it, cause I thought that one was just the opening cutscene. is it saying the probes are repeating the whole sentinel process across different planets all over the galaxy or something?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

morallyobjected posted:

maybe I'm just not getting it, cause I thought that one was just the opening cutscene. is it saying the probes are repeating the whole sentinel process across different planets all over the galaxy or something?

Yes. Also if you watch the whole thing you'll realize that it's scrambling the roles of each character in the cast, implying that there are nearly infinite variations of this happening constantly everywhere, rather than our victory being any kind of fated outcome.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

morallyobjected posted:

Watch it again. Who's talking to whom?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Has anyone found a recording of that extra video online? I've read about it, but I deleted the game before watching it and would love to find it online instead of having to download the game again to see it.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I just finished the game and just...wow. What an absolutely incredible experience. There's so much to love about this game I can't even begin. All the characters were amazing, the plot is easily up there as one of my favorite video game stories of all time, the music was great, and even though the combat was fairly easy on Normal (Intense has been giving me a challenge for S ranks), it's so satisfying and fun. I guess I should check out other Vanillaware games now? Not expecting them to be the same as 13 Sentinels, but I'm interested to see what else they've done.

I think I need time to process everything because I'm kind of speechless.

Now time to read the thread and catch up on what I've missed!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

PunkBoy posted:

I just finished the game and just...wow. What an absolutely incredible experience. There's so much to love about this game I can't even begin. All the characters were amazing, the plot is easily up there as one of my favorite video game stories of all time, the music was great, and even though the combat was fairly easy on Normal (Intense has been giving me a challenge for S ranks), it's so satisfying and fun. I guess I should check out other Vanillaware games now? Not expecting them to be the same as 13 Sentinels, but I'm interested to see what else they've done.

I think I need time to process everything because I'm kind of speechless.

Now time to read the thread and catch up on what I've missed!

most of their other games play almost nothing like 13 sentinels but they're all at least interesting

grimgrimoire is probably the most similar but it's a very clunky console rts. odin sphere leifthrasir, muramasa rebirth, and dragons crown are all fantastic action rpgs. odin sphere in particular has a somewhat similar narrative structure with multiple playable characters moving through events at different times and is the vanillaware game I'd recommend most after 13s. just be sure to play the newer one and not the ps2 original

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Odin Sphere is pretty great.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Looper posted:

most of their other games play almost nothing like 13 sentinels but they're all at least interesting

grimgrimoire is probably the most similar but it's a very clunky console rts. odin sphere leifthrasir, muramasa rebirth, and dragons crown are all fantastic action rpgs. odin sphere in particular has a somewhat similar narrative structure with multiple playable characters moving through events at different times and is the vanillaware game I'd recommend most after 13s. just be sure to play the newer one and not the ps2 original

I'll definitely check those out!

EDIT: Unrelatedly, I love the art in this game and I'm sad that I can't seem to find any good desktop wallpapers sized for dual monitor setups.

EDIT 2: I'm listening to the soundtrack and I was reminded that the last level does one of my favorite tropes. I always love when the final battle music brings in the main theme during the big climactic part.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 20, 2021

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Agrias120 posted:

Has anyone found a recording of that extra video online? I've read about it, but I deleted the game before watching it and would love to find it online instead of having to download the game again to see it.

probably harder to find because I think it's blocked from recording. I tried too but luckily I hadn't uninstalled it yet

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Yeah the final bits aren’t recordable and the game isn’t popular enough for fanatics to upload shakyphone cams

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Clarste posted:

Yes. Also if you watch the whole thing you'll realize that it's scrambling the roles of each character in the cast, implying that there are nearly infinite variations of this happening constantly everywhere, rather than our victory being any kind of fated outcome.

Yeah that realization gave me chills, I was just left in awe at the implications.

13 Sentinels is some good sci-fi.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I'm like 20 hours into the game after this weekend but I've barely scratched the surface of remembrance; everyone is at like 30% and I haven't even unlocked the thirteenth protagonist and I can't wait to read all these black boxes in this thread when I'm done :allears:

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

How the heck do I catch this cat at 14% through Iori's story? I looked up a guide and it says "you have to go for ice cream first before you can get the cat treats" but I've exhausted all the dialogue and thoughts and no one's asked me if I want ice cream!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

untzthatshit posted:

How the heck do I catch this cat at 14% through Iori's story? I looked up a guide and it says "you have to go for ice cream first before you can get the cat treats" but I've exhausted all the dialogue and thoughts and no one's asked me if I want ice cream!

You have to talk to Miwako and Tomi at a specific point in their talk cycle. They'll switch through topics and depending on when you speak to them it'll change your response.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Ah, I guess I hadn't caught on that that was an option - I just saw the red text and assumed all dialogue was done. Thanks!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That moment was what solidified 13sen as a true adventure game in my book.

I spent twenty minutes on that puzzle. May as well have been me trying to make a moustache out of cat hair and tape.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
A lot of food was eaten in the process of getting that scene.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

All I know is that I really want that style of crepe

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Handheld crepes are kind of overrated

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Xarbala posted:

Handheld crepes are kind of overrated

Savory ones were always kind of a miss for me, but a well made sweet handheld crepe is fantastic imo.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Finished the game, had a good time. ~43 hours, though some of that was leaving it in menus and listening to the voice acting (which is a lot slower than reading). Didn't really keep an ongoing log of impressions, though I had most of the shape of it guessed early on from genre familiarity and it was mostly some details that got me. Knowing that personal order can affect the experience somewhat, I still was a bit surprised 2188 Shinonome's admission got dropped so early on and then just kind of... went out of sight, out of mind until the epilogue when they were like "oh yeah it's kind of crazy the old me did that". It took me a bit to cotton to Shiba's nature but I did figure it before getting a parallel scene - I think it was when Ogata spotted him on the platform the first time in his chapter that I was really like "man Juro is REALLY shifty in everyone else's story for some reason - wait, has his buddy ever shown up anywhere?" I liked the Kisaragis (both) perhaps the most - and more broadly I liked how the Sector 0 AIs figure in, because they all have a range to them that they're still fundamentally individuals but handle the realization that they're not "human" anymore differently.

Hijiyama may be the most prominent bi disaster but I was amused by the little scene where Fuyusaka crushes on Takamiya and Sekigahara's just watching them like "she JUST confessed to me..."

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Finally finished and got the platinum, great game. That final wave was a little :staredog: after how easy it was to S rank everything else on normal.

Now to go back and actually read this thread.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Hogama posted:

Finished the game, had a good time. ~43 hours, though some of that was leaving it in menus and listening to the voice acting (which is a lot slower than reading). Didn't really keep an ongoing log of impressions, though I had most of the shape of it guessed early on from genre familiarity and it was mostly some details that got me. Knowing that personal order can affect the experience somewhat, I still was a bit surprised 2188 Shinonome's admission got dropped so early on and then just kind of... went out of sight, out of mind until the epilogue when they were like "oh yeah it's kind of crazy the old me did that". It took me a bit to cotton to Shiba's nature but I did figure it before getting a parallel scene - I think it was when Ogata spotted him on the platform the first time in his chapter that I was really like "man Juro is REALLY shifty in everyone else's story for some reason - wait, has his buddy ever shown up anywhere?" I liked the Kisaragis (both) perhaps the most - and more broadly I liked how the Sector 0 AIs figure in, because they all have a range to them that they're still fundamentally individuals but handle the realization that they're not "human" anymore differently.

Hijiyama may be the most prominent bi disaster but I was amused by the little scene where Fuyusaka crushes on Takamiya and Sekigahara's just watching them like "she JUST confessed to me..."

moral of the story is that more games need bi disasters

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

morallyobjected posted:

moral of the story is that more games need bi disasters

:hmmyes:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
A story's emotional core needs someone who's heavily into carbs and findom

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So I'm doing Ryoko's story and there's an event that I haven't seen under nurse's office 1 but I've already moved to starting under nurse's office 2, did I just permanently lock myself out of something

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So I'm doing Ryoko's story and there's an event that I haven't seen under nurse's office 1 but I've already moved to starting under nurse's office 2, did I just permanently lock myself out of something

No, keep going.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

There's nothing you can permanently miss (completing the game lets you chapter select), and only one character has missable bad endings - which literally do nothing but just end the chapter abruptly; their boxes get autofilled when you beat that section anyway.

I think it's possible to finish the game without eating one of the foods as Iori?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

AAAAAAAH MY HEAD, it huuurts. I need my pills