Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Finally my Tainted Grail pledge arrived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I just happened to get into Dice Throne and didn't know about the the ReRolled Kickstarter. I've got the original set and then a bunch of the 2-characters-in-1-box add-ons. Are those still all fully compatible with Dice Throne Adventures? It seems like all ReRolled did was rework the components.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Agrias120 posted:

I just happened to get into Dice Throne and didn't know about the the ReRolled Kickstarter. I've got the original set and then a bunch of the 2-characters-in-1-box add-ons. Are those still all fully compatible with Dice Throne Adventures? It seems like all ReRolled did was rework the components.
You'll have no problem with any of the 2 in 1 boxes, if they're all Season 2.

S1 Rerolled did three major things -
- A few balance tweaks. Shadow Thief particularly got nerfed a bit
- New S2 style storage and boards
- Uniform card backs but art on every card face

The card backs are kinda important for DTA because DTA has you upgrade your decks with Loot cards. If they don't match you'll know when one of those cards come up. The balance changes are mostly there for the competitive game, so don't worry about those for DTA.

So the original S1 is still compatible with DTA but if the card backs bother you, just use sleeves with opaque backs.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

dwarf74 posted:

You'll have no problem with any of the 2 in 1 boxes, if they're all Season 2.

S1 Rerolled did three major things -
- A few balance tweaks. Shadow Thief particularly got nerfed a bit
- New S2 style storage and boards
- Uniform card backs but art on every card face

The card backs are kinda important for DTA because DTA has you upgrade your decks with Loot cards. If they don't match you'll know when one of those cards come up. The balance changes are mostly there for the competitive game, so don't worry about those for DTA.

So the original S1 is still compatible with DTA but if the card backs bother you, just use sleeves with opaque backs.

Thank you! This is the information I was looking for, but I was having a little bit of trouble parsing it on their site. I might just buy the character card sleeves they are selling and use that as a way to mitigate the card-back issue. My friends and I have all really loved Dice Throne as a lightweight fun game, but we all jive more with co-op stuff, so DTA seems perfect.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Agrias120 posted:

Thank you! This is the information I was looking for, but I was having a little bit of trouble parsing it on their site. I might just buy the character card sleeves they are selling and use that as a way to mitigate the card-back issue. My friends and I have all really loved Dice Throne as a lightweight fun game, but we all jive more with co-op stuff, so DTA seems perfect.
Yeah - I passed on those because drat those sleeves are expensive! But it should work perfectly, yeah - I think they even recommend that as a potential solution.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

OgreNoah posted:

Finally my Tainted Grail pledge arrived.

Mine did too.

2 quick thoughts:

1) Holy poo poo, I have never seen a production like this. Everything is just beautiful and satisfying to play with. The slotted boards are especially satisfying.

2) I actually liked the gameplay too in the limited time I played it. Hard to say for sure though as I've only played solo and don't know the rules for multiplayer play yet.

Also, it came with information and a sales pitch for ISS Vanguard, which is hilarious since the KS ended before the game even arrived. I had backed with a dollar to get into the pledge manager, but after the Elon Musk think lolno.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Is there any kind of ETA on when the pdf for Sentinel Comics is going to be available? It sounds really interesting.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

potatocubed posted:

Is there any kind of ETA on when the pdf for Sentinel Comics is going to be available? It sounds really interesting.

I'm not sure beyond soon. Hardcopy books are being shipped out now so at least in theory they'll drop for retail after.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I've had the PDF and hard copy long enough now to have already started adding some home brew backgrounds and power sources to the lists, it's really good stuff.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Our Shores is live!

Three amazing teams from South East Asia have teamed up to offer three massive games on Kickstarter. This is kinda huge cause SEA doesn't get access to Kickstarter normally, and this is one of the first times creators from all across that region have got a chance to get them thicc Kickstarter Stacks. The three main games are really sick, and spreads across a ton of genres (my fave is prolly Capitalities which is kind of like a slice of life TTRPG set in the big city, the writer likens it to The Sims a bit) and the stretch goals shoots for a p chunky zine with another 7-8 games from other RPGSEA designers.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sandypuggames/our-shores-an-rpgsea-compilation?ref=creator_nav

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Really no print options though?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The difficulty involved in delivering a physical game (let alone three) across the borders we're working with is really hard to express without sounding like I'm overexaggerating. Simply outside of the possibilities of our scale at the moment.

Edit: Worth mentioning that some of the funds are going toward each creator getting print copies going. I know no physical is a disappointment for some but this was basically the only way we could do this.

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 19, 2021

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Our Shores is live!

Three amazing teams from South East Asia have teamed up to offer three massive games on Kickstarter. This is kinda huge cause SEA doesn't get access to Kickstarter normally, and this is one of the first times creators from all across that region have got a chance to get them thicc Kickstarter Stacks. The three main games are really sick, and spreads across a ton of genres (my fave is prolly Capitalities which is kind of like a slice of life TTRPG set in the big city, the writer likens it to The Sims a bit) and the stretch goals shoots for a p chunky zine with another 7-8 games from other RPGSEA designers.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sandypuggames/our-shores-an-rpgsea-compilation?ref=creator_nav

Slammed in as #2 once the email came across. Really excited for Maharlika.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

JazzFlight posted:

Really no print options though?

Shipping costs for Lancer, a game that raised like $400,000 overall, were about 1/4 of the project's entire budget, and they basically squeaked in just under the wire of an increasingly post-COVID shipping landscape. I think people are going to have to get accustomed to indie RPG projects being largely digital focused, it is simply not practical to expect independent creators to shoulder the costs of print publication and shipping if you want them to have crowdfunding goals they can expect to reach.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Kai Tave posted:

Shipping costs for Lancer, a game that raised like $400,000 overall, were about 1/4 of the project's entire budget, and they basically squeaked in just under the wire of an increasingly post-COVID shipping landscape. I think people are going to have to get accustomed to indie RPG projects being largely digital focused, it is simply not practical to expect independent creators to shoulder the costs of print publication and shipping if you want them to have crowdfunding goals they can expect to reach.
Sure, but don’t some use a “we’ll send you a coupon for a PoD option at DriveThruRPG later” tier? I’ve definitely pledged for some RPG Kickstarters that way, like Tiny Dungeon for instance.

I dunno, for me there’s just a more tangible connection to having a real book instead of a digital pdf. While I like this new project, I might drop out, haven’t decided.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
DTRPG currently does EU books in the UK. There have been reports of very high additional fees recently, although they refunded them and put a warning on the checkout page when someone complained.

I assume this will eventually change.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

Sure, but don’t some use a “we’ll send you a coupon for a PoD option at DriveThruRPG later” tier? I’ve definitely pledged for some RPG Kickstarters that way, like Tiny Dungeon for instance.

I dunno, for me there’s just a more tangible connection to having a real book instead of a digital pdf. While I like this new project, I might drop out, haven’t decided.

That was for sure an option we explored, but some of the designers have plans to use local printers in their countries to get print copies made after the KS wraps, as a way to help support their communities and such, and we didn't want to muddy the waters by having a DriveThru coupon (plus we didn't want to have to deal with exclusivity stuff on DriveThru's end.)

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Savage Pathfinder is up.

I still can't quite wrap my head around the draw here. Unlike Savage Rifts, there is a mostly functional ruleset in Pathfinder 2e if people wanted to reuse things, and Savage Worlds doesn't lend itself as well to traditional tabletop fantasy as it does more modern settings. Seems to be a success, though.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Honestly, I am extremely glad I have gone nearly all digital for my rpg collecting. Other than a corebook here or there for games I am actively playing in, or Lancer (because you gotta have that hefty hardcopy), I have enjoyed taking the money that would buy a thing that is just going to take up more of my limited space and just back even more projects.

There is too much cool poo poo going on in the rpg scene to just be burdened by more physical books.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Castles of MKL Deluxe is up and it's... hard for me to say I'll back it.

I kind of want to. I think it's a great, light game to share with friends and bring them into the hobby and I can see it being a good stress reliever as a game night closer or what have you.

But hard to say I want to spend $100 - $160 for the experience.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Memnaelar posted:

Castles of MKL Deluxe is up and it's... hard for me to say I'll back it.

I kind of want to. I think it's a great, light game to share with friends and bring them into the hobby and I can see it being a good stress reliever as a game night closer or what have you.

But hard to say I want to spend $100 - $160 for the experience.

I saw that earlier today. What are the colossal tiles? Are they just bigger versions of the regular tiles?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

EverettLO posted:

Savage Pathfinder is up.

I still can't quite wrap my head around the draw here. Unlike Savage Rifts, there is a mostly functional ruleset in Pathfinder 2e if people wanted to reuse things, and Savage Worlds doesn't lend itself as well to traditional tabletop fantasy as it does more modern settings. Seems to be a success, though.
I mean - more power to them. I dig the new Savage Worlds ruleset and have been running it for over a year. But I simply don't know why I'd want this.

Maybe this is Paizo fans disappointed by PF 2e?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
New Scion KS is up, dragons and mythos. It looks like both of them are intended as their own campaigns, so all dragons or all mythos instead is missing and matching. The Mythos side reminds me a bit of Secret World in terms or power level and the dragon has a kind of spy thing going on, where you have to play the gods and titans against each other, and eventually might get to go Kaiju.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

armorer posted:

I saw that earlier today. What are the colossal tiles? Are they just bigger versions of the regular tiles?

As far as I can tell, yes. It is literally just making a bigger, showier game. It's already a table hog, so not sure who that's for. Convention spaces maybe? ;-)

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Pretty much, but they couldn't find a way to fit the moat pieces in.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Memnaelar posted:

As far as I can tell, yes. It is literally just making a bigger, showier game. It's already a table hog, so not sure who that's for. Convention spaces maybe? ;-)

Okay that's what it looked like but it really didn't make any sense to me who would want that.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

"Monster Hunter the Board Game" (aka Primal) just launched.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/reggiegames/primal-the-awakening

Another pricey $300 game if you're going all-in, but I would trust its gameplay more than Steamforged who have the real license. Even so, I'm kinda getting expensive KS game fatigue, so it's probably gonna be a pass for me.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

Another pricey $300 game if you're going all-in, but I would trust its gameplay more than Steamforged who have the real license. Even so, I'm kinda getting expensive KS game fatigue, so it's probably gonna be a pass for me.

It does seem Monster Hunter inspired in some ways, but I think more boardgame specifically, it looks like at least the fourth recent game to try and do the Kingdom Death: Monster big boss battles and crafting loot thing but without some of that game's more egregious flaws. (Aeon Trespass: Odyssey, Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood, and Townsfolk Tussle, respectively, though I think TT is intended as a strictly single session experience and I don't think had crafting? Otherwise along those lines.) And of the four, I find Primal's theming and pitch probably least interesting? IDK.

I still put in an early bird backing in case playthrough videos make me want it bad enough. They probably will, I'm a sucker.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

malkav11 posted:

It does seem Monster Hunter inspired in some ways, but I think more boardgame specifically, it looks like at least the fourth recent game to try and do the Kingdom Death: Monster big boss battles and crafting loot thing but without some of that game's more egregious flaws. (Aeon Trespass: Odyssey, Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood, and Townsfolk Tussle, respectively, though I think TT is intended as a strictly single session experience and I don't think had crafting? Otherwise along those lines.) And of the four, I find Primal's theming and pitch probably least interesting? IDK.

I still put in an early bird backing in case playthrough videos make me want it bad enough. They probably will, I'm a sucker.

I really love Monster Hunter, but those designs in Primal are a little too "Monster Hunter with the serial number filed off" for me.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

JazzFlight posted:

The models all look pretty cool but I don't think I'm excited enough to shell out $300 in order to fight Gene Simmons in dragon form.

(Plus I think I have like 5 different similar games coming over the next few years)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Collector’s Edition of Castles of Mad King Ludwig is up. A game I’ve never actually played, but have loved the idea of. I should probably get a normal version before looking at this and all its lovely expansions and towers and oh god

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Vidmaster posted:

The models all look pretty cool but I don't think I'm excited enough to shell out $300 in order to fight Gene Simmons in dragon form.

(Plus I think I have like 5 different similar games coming over the next few years)

Now that made me click on the link.

And honestly I'm a little disappointed. Although I have to give them points because after I rolled my eyes as I scrolled past the dude with the sword bigger than he is, I came across a woman stringing a bow with an arrow taller than herself.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

The_Doctor posted:

Collector’s Edition of Castles of Mad King Ludwig is up. A game I’ve never actually played, but have loved the idea of. I should probably get a normal version before looking at this and all its lovely expansions and towers and oh god

I really like the game. It gives you lots of opportunities to feel clever and make combos. The only thing that keeps it from getting regular play is the fairly involved set-up. if the trayzz make it significantly quicker, I'm in.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The_Doctor posted:

I haven't played it with the expansions, but the base game is pretty fun. I like how the players set the prices for things, and that's sort of how you make money yourself, so you can absolutely bone yourself by setting a price so high that nobody would want to buy it, even if it were worth however many points for them. Plus you get to make a big castle, which is cool.

My read of the collector's edition, that I'm sure will be pointed out, is that it's overproduced. From the sounds of it, those towers add absolutely nothing to the game except hike it up $10-20, and stuff like that irks me even more than extravagant minis (hello Cthulhu Wars!) since there's at least SOME game need for the minis, even if standees could do the same thing cheaper. If it were in the Royal edition, I wouldn't really give a drat, but having them in the base seems unnecessary.

I also think the score track looks ugly and looks like it belongs in a game with a Caribbean theme or something.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I love that Kickstarter expressly forbids campaigns from advertising "Funded in X Hours!" and then takes no action against campaigns who do that

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

dwarf74 posted:

I mean - more power to them. I dig the new Savage Worlds ruleset and have been running it for over a year. But I simply don't know why I'd want this.

Maybe this is Paizo fans disappointed by PF 2e?

I guess. I'm not hating on Savage Worlds, and I like what they did with Rifts. It just seems like there are a million variations on D&D that would make for an easier conversion, not the least of which is PF2e. Savage Worlds, and especially SWADE, seems to have a heaver focus on ranged combat and comparatively limited magic than would fit in most tabletop fantasy worlds.

I can see why Pinnacle would want to get their hands on it, but from Paizo's perspective all I can figure is that it's easy money.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

GrandpaPants posted:

I haven't played it with the expansions, but the base game is pretty fun. I like how the players set the prices for things, and that's sort of how you make money yourself, so you can absolutely bone yourself by setting a price so high that nobody would want to buy it, even if it were worth however many points for them. Plus you get to make a big castle, which is cool.

My read of the collector's edition, that I'm sure will be pointed out, is that it's overproduced. From the sounds of it, those towers add absolutely nothing to the game except hike it up $10-20, and stuff like that irks me even more than extravagant minis (hello Cthulhu Wars!) since there's at least SOME game need for the minis, even if standees could do the same thing cheaper. If it were in the Royal edition, I wouldn't really give a drat, but having them in the base seems unnecessary.

I also think the score track looks ugly and looks like it belongs in a game with a Caribbean theme or something.

Now I just want a double-size copy of Between Two Castles so we can read the text on the tiles.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

malkav11 posted:

I've backed all three of those and are still tempted by this - I'm very much a sucker for this style of game. I read someone else's thoughts about it though that criticized how much your tactical options are reduced by not having a full map and instead having the sector based combat. So much of the interesting decisions in higher level KDM play did involve careful positioning so I'm a bit wary. Also as mentioned the theme looks less interesting than all the others - a lot more generic - but I'll see how I feel after seeing a few playthroughs.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Kerro posted:

I've backed all three of those and are still tempted by this - I'm very much a sucker for this style of game. I read someone else's thoughts about it though that criticized how much your tactical options are reduced by not having a full map and instead having the sector based combat. So much of the interesting decisions in higher level KDM play did involve careful positioning so I'm a bit wary. Also as mentioned the theme looks less interesting than all the others - a lot more generic - but I'll see how I feel after seeing a few playthroughs.

On the other hand, at least in my experience of KD:M (bailed after the King's Man fight, which was cool but our failure to understand what we wanted to achieve from it almost certainly made our further campaign doomed and I was already mixed on the game overall - and of course I was playing on TTS so had no financial investment), positioning is the majority of the decision making you *can* do. So much of the rest of it is just dice. Whereas it looks like Primal's combat is fully deterministic and based on how you play cards, and I'd think that would make up for losing more granular positioning.

Like you say, I want to watch some videos of it to see what I think.

On an unrelated note, soloed a Portal Crawl scenario of Dice Throne Adventures, two handed with the Paladin and Ninja. Lost on the last fight (and not because of the fight - the Ninja was hurting bad and her last encounter got her poisoned, with no way of removing it, so she keeled over on her way to join the Paladin in fighting it), but it was still basically everything I liked about Dice Throne but with bonus dungeon crawling and loot. Thumbs up so far! (And failure, while it penalizes your campaign score, is not the end of the world - you just try the scenario again except you've gotten to mix in the loot you got last time and start with more healing salves.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

malkav11 posted:

On the other hand, at least in my experience of KD:M (bailed after the King's Man fight, which was cool but our failure to understand what we wanted to achieve from it almost certainly made our further campaign doomed and I was already mixed on the game overall - and of course I was playing on TTS so had no financial investment), positioning is the majority of the decision making you *can* do. So much of the rest of it is just dice.

There's a lot more to it in kdm but I think one of the greatest failings of the game is that it takes so long to get there and potentially playing more than one campaign to know how best to approach unlocking the other stuff. By the time you have the other survival abilities (dodge and surge, which let you move and attack out of turn in ways that can cancel or mitigate enemy attacks), and complete item builds that can make it nearly impossible to miss, or allow you to cancel traps etc you have some of the deepest range of tactical options I've seen in this sort of board game but you're talking tens of hours to get to that point and ideally incorporating an expansion or two into an already pricy game.

The fact that the first few fights start with your characters basically just rolling dice over and over and more often than not missing really doesn't work well to showcase the game's strengths.