Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gavrilo Princip posted:

Couldn't get any delivery slots from anywhere a week and a half ago so had to pop out to Sainsbury's and long story short I have the lurgie. I guess there's only so many times you can roll the dice before it happens. Cheers Boris.

Jesus that sucks. Have you actually been tested yet or are the symptoms bad enough to make it redundant?

Funnily enough I was talking about this to someone only this morning - it's the sheer randomness that makes it so scary. By my reckoning I've been in and out of shops and other high-risk areas almost a hundred times just since the end of the last lockdown (between shopping for other people and using "I need <x>, might as well walk a few miles to the shop rather than just across the road" exercise/mental health breaks), and can't claim to be brilliant about the whole hygiene thing (I carry and use hand sanitiser but noticed at the end of a fairly long day of that that somehow I'd managed to miss a big splodge of jam from breakfast on the side of my hand, lol) and managed to duck it, while a friend of a friend managed to catch it - and die from it - from a single hospital appointment (his only trip outside the house since November.

Like if it were a simple "If you do this, you die" thing it'd be much, much less scary and stressful, but it's more like Russian Roulette with a thousand barrels and you have to pull the trigger several times a day just to exist. It doesn't help that there are lots of gleeful fuckers like in the Covid thread who treat it like a loving punishment from God for your obvious sins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol there is seemingly a UK poster who lurks this thread or cspam who has convinced themselves i voted leave and now accused me of it in qcs and gbs

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Can highly recommend ATAG boilers if you can get one, they're a bit pricey but they have a 12 year parts warranty on them and are quiet as heck. Very efficient too. Key thing for me is the heat exchanger is metal, none of that glass filled nylon bullshit you see in a lot of boilers these days that has a propensity to crack and explode over time.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

The Question IRL posted:

** = I mean that literally. While in Law school we had to take acting lessons. Mostly withal view to improving your speaking voice, but I have learned that sometimes you need to lay the emotions on a bit thick to enhance your case.

Please tell me this consisted of watching and learning at least one Rumpole speech?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Gavrilo Princip posted:

It was busy but not outrageously so, I think this new strain is just a major bastard and very easy to catch. It also managed to get through both a standard medical mask and a neoprene one, although I think the masks definitely helped reduce the overall severity.

I'm kicking it's rear end, for what it's worth; my sense of smell only cut out for a few days and I initially thought it was flu because of the honking amounts of phlegm I was bringing up with the cough, which suggests that my immune system was on the case from the start. It's mostly been skulking around unable to get a serious grip on anything, which I'm glad about because I can tell this thing would be a oval office to deal with otherwise.

Alright thanks, thats worrying, since I'm in the same boat, I only go out to go shopping.

Best of luck!

Jose posted:

lol there is seemingly a UK poster who lurks this thread or cspam who has convinced themselves i voted leave and now accused me of it in qcs and gbs

I haven't watched this thread since the brexit shenanigans 1-2 years ago, but wtf?

Ika fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 19, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

You'll never recover from this.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jose posted:

who is it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i just probated them

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Jose posted:

i just probated them

Oh lol that guy.

100% melted down when I told someone else that when they're cheating in a game they're not really going to have any insights to the difficulty level.

Man 2020 has been even weirder than usual with goons. Did they confuse you with Tess or something?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

JollyBoyJohn posted:

can I ask how much you were in total? one of the reasons I'm hesitant about it is its not just a new boiler its a total conversion from one of the old back boilers usually hidden behind a fireplace. is that similar to what you had?

That's exactly what I had! It was over £5k in the end, 'cos they had to do a bunch of remedial work to being the electrics up to scratch too and install an outlet in the roof but it left me with a modern heating system that makes the house feel enormously more comfortable and if it's cold in the mornings, I can switch the heating on from my phone without getting out of bed (yes, there is now an app for that). Like I said, I got an interest-free loan to pay for it, with just some token amount up front.

If you've got one of those ancient back boilers, it'll definitely be on its last legs. Has it been serviced annually? The repair guy found that mine was in a hell of a state when I first got someone in to check it.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

endlessmonotony posted:

Oh lol that guy.

100% melted down when I told someone else that when they're cheating in a game they're not really going to have any insights to the difficulty level.

Man 2020 has been even weirder than usual with goons. Did they confuse you with Tess or something?

It seems like he's a hilary supporter who got upset that wikileaks leaked the dem emails showing how they hosed with bernies campaign, and lexiter is short for british leftie.

Just a guess though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1351652684403777538?s=20

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

THIS MEANS WAR

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

breaking: local borders to sovereign for foreign government to control

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

What's funny is that Gibraltar sonehow managed to end up in Schengen while leaving the single market.

I don't even know how that's supposed to work, aren't Schengen borders supposed to be seamless?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Wait a second, do they stop you getting universal credit if you have savings?
If you have the right accountant and know the right boxes to tick, you are allowed a certain amount of savings & property.

Back in the 2000s (when I last had to fill in that loving form) it used to be up to 250k of property and 10k savings and you could still claim.

No idea how much it is now, but I'm assuming they hid the declaration away somewhere on an optional page where the plebs can't find it, so that they wait to burn through their savings and het into arrears before even applying.

Feeling extra pissy because of seeing this on FB earlier:

I get the point they're making, I just find it disappointing to see attacks on 'scroungers' and seeing it from supposed comrades you'd expect solidarity from.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Private Speech posted:

What's funny is that Gibraltar sonehow managed to end up in Schengen while leaving the single market.

I don't even know how that's supposed to work, aren't Schengen borders supposed to be seamless?

I know that is supposed to happen, with the EU border being moved to the Gibraltar air/sea port, but I'm not sure that is already the case.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Pistol_Pete posted:

That's exactly what I had! It was over £5k in the end, 'cos they had to do a bunch of remedial work to being the electrics up to scratch too and install an outlet in the roof but it left me with a modern heating system that makes the house feel enormously more comfortable and if it's cold in the mornings, I can switch the heating on from my phone without getting out of bed (yes, there is now an app for that). Like I said, I got an interest-free loan to pay for it, with just some token amount up front.

If you've got one of those ancient back boilers, it'll definitely be on its last legs. Has it been serviced annually? The repair guy found that mine was in a hell of a state when I first got someone in to check it.

5 grand Jesus Christ.

We've not got it serviced annually, last time was in 2018. Engineer said it was in great condition for its age but yeah it won't last forever.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jose posted:

i'm not sure why i find that qc melting down about nate bethea so funny

it's hilarious, mostly because it started from them getting outraged by an innocuous tweet re: Rafael behr and spiralled out of control because neither of them are capable of using Google

also because they've been posting night and day for 4 days and you'd think a grown adult would have better things to do than be hopping mad at internet strangers at 4 in the morning

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Please tell me this consisted of watching and learning at least one Rumpole speech?

No, just general stuff about getting people to come out of their shells and speak loudly, clearly and with authority.

And while Rumpole is an excellent look at life in the Bar, my go to for most accurate media portrayal of life in the Criminal bar is now, and will forever be My Cousin Vinny.

I could do lectures using just that film and different topics of the law.

Also someone on Twitter pointed it out, and I can't help but want Joe Pesci to play Tom Holland's Uncle Ben in the next Spider-Man movie.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Question IRL posted:

No, just general stuff about getting people to come out of their shells and speak loudly, clearly and with authority.

And while Rumpole is an excellent look at life in the Bar, my go to for most accurate media portrayal of life in the Criminal bar is now, and will forever be My Cousin Vinny.

I could do lectures using just that film and different topics of the law.

Also someone on Twitter pointed it out, and I can't help but want Joe Pesci to play Tom Holland's Uncle Ben in the next Spider-Man movie.

It’s a terrific film.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Anyone with BT Broadband ever used BTWiFi away from home?
My usual internet has turned into a snail today so I'm logging in to BTWiFi with mother's home broadband account. I believe this is 'free' with BT Broadband accounts. Is this the case?

Gavrilo Princip
Feb 4, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Jesus that sucks. Have you actually been tested yet or are the symptoms bad enough to make it redundant?

Funnily enough I was talking about this to someone only this morning - it's the sheer randomness that makes it so scary. By my reckoning I've been in and out of shops and other high-risk areas almost a hundred times just since the end of the last lockdown (between shopping for other people and using "I need <x>, might as well walk a few miles to the shop rather than just across the road" exercise/mental health breaks), and can't claim to be brilliant about the whole hygiene thing (I carry and use hand sanitiser but noticed at the end of a fairly long day of that that somehow I'd managed to miss a big splodge of jam from breakfast on the side of my hand, lol) and managed to duck it, while a friend of a friend managed to catch it - and die from it - from a single hospital appointment (his only trip outside the house since November.

Like if it were a simple "If you do this, you die" thing it'd be much, much less scary and stressful, but it's more like Russian Roulette with a thousand barrels and you have to pull the trigger several times a day just to exist. It doesn't help that there are lots of gleeful fuckers like in the Covid thread who treat it like a loving punishment from God for your obvious sins.

Got tested yesterday, positive result came through at like 8AM this morning. And yeah, the need to go out and do things really is just playing Russian roulette, it's been on my mind every single time. Even being reasonably assiduous with sanitation (e.g hand sanitiser) and masks only reduces risk, you can't eliminate it.

Also I just sneezed *HARD* and blew several cubic inches of gunk everywhere in front of my fiancee, wear a mask everyone!

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://mobile.twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/1351644695714267141

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

RE:boilers, can anyone recommend a page with like a summary of the different main types for a dullard like me? The one in our new flat is busted in some way (caveat emptor lol) and I’m not at all sure what kind it is, how much it would be to fix or if it’s worth getting it replaced.

Clearly I’ll need to get somebody in at some point but am trying to wait until the next COVID lull to have work done.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

On the day we broke the covid daily death record one of our most prominent journalists tweeted this

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1351577959589699587?s=19

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
the boiler in our flat in Edinburgh said

pre:
MADE IN WEST GERMANY
like 6 years ago, still pumpin away

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
boilers are hosed up man, for every person you hear say they have a brand new £5000 ultra efficient boiler that breaks every year despite full servicing to keep the warranty you have some dude down in yorkshire who has ran the same one for 25 years without so much as a replaced thermocouple

to be clear, its not my boiler thats hosed, i think its the water pump, so i might not even need to do a £££££'s replacement, but I have no idea where the pump is and it may involve lifting floorboards :(

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
always made me think, did that

putting away the towels or that

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
The idea that (outside of the most remote farmhouses) each individual dwelling needs to make its own arrangements to make hot water is one that should have been abandoned around the same time as gas lights. It just makes no sense, on any bloody level. I don't mean that every village needs its own massive CHAP and steam system (although...), but water heaters for heating and hot water only get less efficient the smaller they get, and it takes a *long* distance before the cost of insulating the pipes outweighs the massive efficiency gains you get from having one heater between 10-100 dwellings.

And this is just on the simplest, grossest cost terms (both for the plant and running it), it doesn't even get in to the convenience gains of "turn on tap, hot water comes out" and of course the massive safety advantage of having the very hot pressure vessel (that might also produce carbon monoxide if a bird lands in the wrong place) in a different building from the one you're sleeping in.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i'm trying to walk more - fuckin lockdown has obliterated my exercise schedule but literally crossing streets rather than walk past people. need to go shopping, do so late at night when it's quiet.

poo poo sucks rear end.

hey here's a question - when ya'll say "ideology", do you put the emphasis on the I (eye-deology) or the Id (id-eology)? i think one of them is a britishism and one isn't and i can't remember if that's something i picked up in canada or here.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

CoolCab posted:

i'm trying to walk more - fuckin lockdown has obliterated my exercise schedule but literally crossing streets rather than walk past people. need to go shopping, do so late at night when it's quiet.

poo poo sucks rear end.

hey here's a question - when ya'll say "ideology", do you put the emphasis on the I (eye-deology) or the Id (id-eology)? i think one of them is a britishism and one isn't and i can't remember if that's something i picked up in canada or here.

British and even most American people pronounce it "eye-deology" (same root as "idea" so it makes sense). A lot of the time when I hear it pronounced the other way I get the vibe that the person learned the word from a Zizek video, but I'm not sure if it's a common pronunciation.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

goddamnedtwisto posted:

British and even most American people pronounce it "eye-deology" (same root as "idea" so it makes sense). A lot of the time when I hear it pronounced the other way I get the vibe that the person learned the word from a Zizek video.

it trips me out! i heard someone say id-eology and it took me a second to realize they weren't discussing some kind of political philosophy eposed by idi amin

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I've heard BBC newsreaders of late pronounce Newcastle* with the emphasis on new of late

one of those things where you hear it once and you start listening for it and then you just hear it all the time, i expect there is a german word for such a thing

*Newcastle, England - we have a Newcastle** in NI, it is a poor man's Margate if you can even imagine such a thing

**which is actually pronounced with the emphasis on the first syllable

crispix fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 20, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
there's another way to pronounce new castle other than new, castle. i hate it here.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
nyaCASSAL :mad:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

crispix posted:

nyaCASSAL :mad:

is this from the catgirl dialect

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I don't know what that is

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

crispix posted:

I don't know what that is

catgirls say nyan, and variations thereof, although i might be thinking of that other stupid internet thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Gavrilo Princip posted:

Got tested yesterday, positive result came through at like 8AM this morning. And yeah, the need to go out and do things really is just playing Russian roulette, it's been on my mind every single time. Even being reasonably assiduous with sanitation (e.g hand sanitiser) and masks only reduces risk, you can't eliminate it.

It's crazy that people are catching this just going to the shops once, even with masks and sanitiser. It's what, 3-4x more contagious than flu? With an R of 1-1.5 that suggests that it's not hard to transmit but should be relatively mitigated by keeping your distance, going at quiet times, and doing the hygiene stuff. Unless we've got some very unlucky people itt something in the data just doesn't gel. Unless you're getting right up in people's faces or touching stuff then licking your fingers or walking by someone actively coughing and spluttering shops don't seem too high risk off peak given the stats, and I'd be very surprised if new cases weren't primarily people being dumb and going round each others houses (esp over Xmas) + those exposed working. But I'm not an epidemiologist so who knows.

That said I am definitely avoiding the big supermarkets during the busy times because holy poo poo lol some people

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The idea that (outside of the most remote farmhouses) each individual dwelling needs to make its own arrangements to make hot water is one that should have been abandoned around the same time as gas lights.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 20, 2021