Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

TaurusOxford posted:

Nice kits, but here's a site that'll help you make them stand out for more than panel lining will:

http://putrashining.blogspot.com/2017/02/tutorial-basic-gunpla-posing-putaros.html

Yes, this is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
New works on my end: Jesta Cannon, Dijeh, Turn-A Gundam, Heavyarms

Next kit: Zeta Gundam Revive, Blue Destiny Unit 3 "Exam", Gustav Karl, GM II, Jesta (I like the suit so much I brought one to go with the cannon, I might wind up buying a second cannon to give them symmetrical shoulder guns.), Byarlant Custom. I can't access the GM II, Jesta or Byarlant Custom because I received them in the male and due to Corona the mail at my building isn't available until Monday,
Kits being built to: RG Nu Gundam, RG Tallgeese EW

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Figure I might as well show this off here. Progress on my Eastern Model 1/9 scale Iron Man Mk.85:

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
I want to love the Dijeh but I just can't get into it. The HG was a fun kit (love an asymmetrical build!), the design just doesn't grab me. Maybe if I took it and the HG Hyaku-Shiki further away from my RG kits of Grandpa, Char's Zaku, Sazabi, and Nu-Gundam I'd like it better. It seemed like a good idea at the time to have 1/144 kits of all of the main suits for both Char and Amuro in one place.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Just Dan Again posted:

I want to love the Dijeh but I just can't get into it. The HG was a fun kit (love an asymmetrical build!), the design just doesn't grab me. Maybe if I took it and the HG Hyaku-Shiki further away from my RG kits of Grandpa, Char's Zaku, Sazabi, and Nu-Gundam I'd like it better. It seemed like a good idea at the time to have 1/144 kits of all of the main suits for both Char and Amuro in one place.

I don't really like the Dijeh's design as "An upgrade for Amuro" but I'm kinda cool with it. I don't like the Rick Dijeh, I think that was the wrong way to take it.

But I think the SE-R is rad

I think a major issue is the mono-eye and the command horn. Because... it's theoretically a Federation suit. Well, Anaheim, but it's the same way the Hyaku Shiki wouldn't work if it had a Gundam Head for Quattro.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Tbf it was tominos intent that the djeh defy expectations for amuros new mobile suit

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Stairmaster posted:

Tbf it was tominos intent that the djeh defy expectations for amuros new mobile suit

It was a really clever way of showing that Amuro wasn't going to take over as main character again. He has his own unique suit already, which implies he isn't going to take over the Gundam. And the design of it was very clearly not MC material. So when Amuro shows up in the Dijeh the audience subconsciously understands that the show is going to keep being about Kamille, not this fuckin Dijeh guy.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Whoops, accidentally installed the swivel joint in the MG Barbatos's gun backwards and tore a bit of the gun's side off when folding it up for the first time. At least it was a clean tear so I can just pass it off as battle damage or something.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Ibblebibble posted:

Whoops, accidentally installed the swivel joint in the MG Barbatos's gun backwards and tore a bit of the gun's side off when folding it up for the first time. At least it was a clean tear so I can just pass it off as battle damage or something.

I need to remember that, the ludicrously generous Dr Chud of the TF thread sent me one as part of our secret Santa. I just need to get my office/hobby room set up so I'll have somewhere to keep it.

Been doing some HGs though, the Grimgerd is nice and an unusual look, although underneath there's lots of similarities the Graze series and naturally the Helmwige which I've already done.

Also got my latest HLJ warehouse box with bits I got in one of their sales and started the G-Else last night. I think the G-Arcane is the only G-Reco kit I've done before so pretty interesting, very pleasing colours and I really like the head. The lower eye stickers are a nightmare though.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/polaris_mv700/status/1350804715420831744?s=20

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I fuckin love the Grimgerde, it always looks like it's going somewhere and the wrist swords are a neat gimmick. Also fun to put the Grimgerde, Gerail, Graze, and Reginlaze next to each other. Really brings out how thoughtful the mechanical designs were in IBO.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Can confirm, the IBO family tree is really solid. Hopefully they'll reprint the Geirail one of these days and I can complete my collection of villainous grunt suits.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nice application of the glow in the dark airsoft bb unit.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
When do you guys usually like to apply waterslide decals: Before fully assembly or after? I ask because...well...

*Stares at the Wing Zero Custom EW Ver KA decal sheet while the Howie scream plays in the background*

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

When do you guys usually like to apply waterslide decals: Before fully assembly or after? I ask because...well...

*Stares at the Wing Zero Custom EW Ver KA decal sheet while the Howie scream plays in the background*

Ver. Ka kits always have way too many decals, I use maybe a quarter of them. I usually assemble the kit, then look at the kit and the decal sheet and decide which ones I want to do. It’s a little easier to maintain bilateral symmetry on an assembled kit than it is to do them on the parts in isolation.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

I usually apply them to sub-assemblies (arms/legs/torso/head/etc) just because they're easier to handle. I'll often mount the part in a vice or to a big lump of blutack on my desk so I have both hands free.

Also, more decals = more better.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

I use all the decals on the diagram, section by section.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
I feel bad for not doing more decaling, but I like assembling kits a LOT better than I like applying decals. I do every decal on the RG sticker sheets but transfers feel a lot more like work to me.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I like assembing and applying stickers, but I hate panel lining and matte coating.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Next Kit: Byarlant Custom, Jesta, Gustav Karl, Blue Destiny Unit 3 "Exam", Zeta Gundam Revive
Waiting for me to get better: RG Tallgeese EW, RG Nu Gundam

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Bill Posters posted:

I usually apply them to sub-assemblies (arms/legs/torso/head/etc) just because they're easier to handle. I'll often mount the part in a vice or to a big lump of blutack on my desk so I have both hands free.

Also, more decals = more better.

Yeah, I build one limb at a time, panel/decal/topcoat it, then stick it on to the main assembly.

The MGEX Unicorn was weird since you have to build the arms and legs directly onto the body due to the LED sheet, so I constantly felt like I was going to break the drat thing, but it worked out OK. There's a lot of fuckin decals on that thing.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Bandai has been super cheap with the decals lately, even on the pg's. There should be more dry and water transfer decals then stickers on any mg and above kit bandai!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
What should I use to topcoat over waterslides, then? I have noticed that I had a couple of decals come off while I was doing posing due to my horrible greasy hands.

MyushiVerSCOOTY
Jan 22, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

What should I use to topcoat over waterslides, then? I have noticed that I had a couple of decals come off while I was doing posing due to my horrible greasy hands.

I've used tamiya spray cans and mr color laquers with an airbrush and both work great. For best effect prep the surface with a gloss clear coat, then apply decals, and then seal it with another clearcoat.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

is there a good high grade for the zeta gundam or its char's counter-attack variant?

MyushiVerSCOOTY
Jan 22, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

is there a good high grade for the zeta gundam or its char's counter-attack variant?

Yeah there's a few hguc zeta gundam and also a hguc Re-gz. The original zeta has an old hguc kit, a newer "revive" version, and a restyled "uc 0088" version. The 0088 version is a p-bandai exclusive so it will be difficult to find and also expensive. You best bet is probably the revive.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
How god-awful is the RG Zeta?

MyushiVerSCOOTY
Jan 22, 2004

wdarkk posted:

I got about half way through before giving up. The chest parts just didn't fit together properly as molded. A shame as the kit look really nice otherwise.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

wdarkk posted:

It explodes the moment you look at it funny.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Cheaper than an M67 fragrance grenade, more expensive than a nail bomb. Just as effective.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

MyushiVerSCOOTY posted:

I've used tamiya spray cans and mr color laquers with an airbrush and both work great. For best effect prep the surface with a gloss clear coat, then apply decals, and then seal it with another clearcoat.

Doesn't airbrush and spraycans need a well ventilated room if not outside or the paint can really gently caress up your lungs? Acrylics, in particular?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

wdarkk posted:

I built mine recently, it's extremely delicate and you'll wonder if you're breaking it every now and again when you're bending one of the frame parts into place. It looks cool, especially when in jet form, but transforming it back and forth is an absolute nightmare and it's hard to pose because of all its weird fucky joint. Get it if you want a challenge, avoid if you don't.

MyushiVerSCOOTY
Jan 22, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

Doesn't airbrush and spraycans need a well ventilated room if not outside or the paint can really gently caress up your lungs? Acrylics, in particular?

Yes if you are spraying you need to have adequate ventilation, and if you are spraying solvent based paints/coats you should wear a respirator with appropriate filters (look for something rated for organic solvents)

The word "acrylic" doesn't actually tell you much about a paint. There are water based and solvent based acrylics. Tamiya acrylics are solvent based.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Lacquers are the worst but don’t spray anything without ventilation.

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010
I'm building the MGEX Unicorn and I'm absolutely terrified of ruining the LED sheet. Is there anything tricky I should know about putting the kit together?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Well, I finally managed to register a P-Bandai account, but not in time to pick up the G04 and G05 HGs I wanted. It took a solid 6 hours for the email to arrive. :mad:

What should I get instead? Nu verKa HWS or GM Dominance?

Edit: I'm an idiot and mistook it for the Hi-nu, which kinda answers my question.

Edit 2: Well apparently P-Bandai is as dodgy as Nvidia during the 3080 launch. Looks like I have an MG GM Dominance and an HG G05 on the way.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 21, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Warmachine posted:

Well, I finally managed to register a P-Bandai account, but not in time to pick up the G04 and G05 HGs I wanted. It took a solid 6 hours for the email to arrive. :mad:

What should I get instead? Nu verKa HWS or GM Dominance?

Edit: I'm an idiot and mistook it for the Hi-nu, which kinda answers my question.

Edit 2: Well apparently P-Bandai is as dodgy as Nvidia during the 3080 launch. Looks like I have an MG GM Dominance and an HG G05 on the way.

Some of their stuff sells out very quickly.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I've built models before but I'm looking to try painting for the first time. Can anyone recommend a place to order paints from as an american?

The model I'm planning to make (the Ikaruga, from the shmup of the same name) comes with a guide on how to make the colors used in the sample pictures, but the names are in japanese

Is there a good way to tell what these correspond to? I assume I can use the letter/numbers if I know what brand it is? Alternatively, if trying to use the provided colors is a bad idea (too expensive, recommending bad brands, whatever), what would be good to go with instead?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
They all look like Mr Color numbers to me.

The H-xx that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Regardless of what brand you use, I'd definitely recommend starting with a white primer on those white armor panels