Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
ah righto

well, lord and lady pinkerton, about time i was hittin the old dusty trail

hittin' the hay, says he

nn friends stay safe

https://i.imgur.com/JajG0WH.mp4

some birds for yiz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

ThomasPaine posted:

It's crazy that people are catching this just going to the shops once, even with masks and sanitiser. It's what, 3-4x more contagious than flu? With an R of 1-1.5 that suggests that it's not hard to transmit but should be relatively mitigated by keeping your distance, going at quiet times, and doing the hygiene stuff. Unless we've got some very unlucky people itt something in the data just doesn't gel. Unless you're getting right up in people's faces or touching stuff then licking your fingers or walking by someone actively coughing and spluttering shops don't seem too high risk off peak given the stats, and I'd be very surprised if new cases weren't primarily people being dumb and going round each others houses (esp over Xmas) + those exposed working. But I'm not an epidemiologist so who knows.

it's one of those things that's a gamble because you are relying on other people's hygiene standards, god the number of times i've seen someone clearly trying to do well but unconsciously moving or letting their masks drop. as i've been saying to my family forever and behaving as if it was true, indoors if there is someone sick without a mask there is no safe distance.

we'd be in much better shape if they'd put cops on the loving doors to pass out good masks and stop antimaskers but lol

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Constantly fiddle with my face mask TBH. Either it's riding up into my eyes or it's causing my glasses to fog up, poo poo sucks and I cannot wait for this plague to end. Don't particularly want to but life gets tricky when you can't see anything. Before Christmas I went to the local shop to get a bottle of gin for my sister (which of course I still haven't given her because Christmas got cancelled), was sure I'd bought a 700ml bottle but couldn't see properly and wasn't until I was bagging up that I realised it was half that and I was too embarrassed by my inability to see to ask to change it.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

forkboy84 posted:

Constantly fiddle with my face mask TBH. Either it's riding up into my eyes or it's causing my glasses to fog up, poo poo sucks and I cannot wait for this plague to end. Don't particularly want to but life gets tricky when you can't see anything. Before Christmas I went to the local shop to get a bottle of gin for my sister (which of course I still haven't given her because Christmas got cancelled), was sure I'd bought a 700ml bottle but couldn't see properly and wasn't until I was bagging up that I realised it was half that and I was too embarrassed by my inability to see to ask to change it.

it's the loving worst mate. i had an idea for some kind of humidity exhaust pipe - like, a clear plastic tube that supplements masks but exhausts somewhere (with a filter) other than your face cause i'm so fuckin sick of it.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The idea that (outside of the most remote farmhouses) each individual dwelling needs to make its own arrangements to make hot water is one that should have been abandoned around the same time as gas lights. It just makes no sense, on any bloody level. I don't mean that every village needs its own massive CHAP and steam system (although...), but water heaters for heating and hot water only get less efficient the smaller they get, and it takes a *long* distance before the cost of insulating the pipes outweighs the massive efficiency gains you get from having one heater between 10-100 dwellings.

And this is just on the simplest, grossest cost terms (both for the plant and running it), it doesn't even get in to the convenience gains of "turn on tap, hot water comes out" and of course the massive safety advantage of having the very hot pressure vessel (that might also produce carbon monoxide if a bird lands in the wrong place) in a different building from the one you're sleeping in.

Uh, no, piped hot water is a bad idea. A very bad idea.

You want a furnace of at least 900C for biomass, and then just use a working fluid and use a heat exchanger for the hot water as needed. I think Alpo Kitinoja was leading the team researching efficiency, at least a few years ago?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Josef bugman posted:

Heya Bud. If you want to talk or just vent about it I am sure we are all here for that. Keep safe!

Missed this but just wanted to say thanks! I am actually fine considering and I think past the worst of it (mentally at least), but I'm drat ready for this to be over with and I'm not going to forget a drat thing.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

CoolCab posted:

we'd be in much better shape if they'd put cops on the loving doors to pass out good masks and stop antimaskers but lol

They actually did that here in Canada. Well, not cops, but store security were stopping people getting in without a mask when the mask rules first came in - now it's usually just somebody who would otherwise be on checkouts at the door, sanitising trolleys and directing you to use hand sanitiser before you enter. I don't think I've seen a single person in a supermarket without a mask (though I have seen a few with their nose exposed).

There are a whole load of other stupid ways they're not handling things correctly here (like massive amounts of people still going to work who don't need to) but they do seem to have at least got that one thing right.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 20, 2021

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The Question IRL posted:

the court is a Crucible, where the mediocre are very quickly burnt up.

As a profession it attracts a certain type of personality. But the fact we have ethics and (more importantly) an actual sense of collegial means that most Barristers know not to act like dicks to each other. Even if for no other reason than you don't want your reputation within the profession shredded.

But as they say in that ad campaign for Tayto Crisps, there is always one

Sounds like this QC is....one.

Twitter seems to be chock full of barristers behaving like total arseholes. It feels very much like the stereotype of engineers who think because they understand the properties of concrete well it means they understand the entire universe, except with barristers the skill is pontificating.

This prick for instance https://mobile.twitter.com/Francis_Hoar

As I understand it the organisation that represents barristers' interests is the same as the regulator which I guess is the reason they have brain damage from huffing their own farts too much.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Priti Patel is getting interviewed on the BBC and getting hammered on the governments covid response.

She's used the "now is not the time for blame line."

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Jose posted:

i'm not sure why i find that qc melting down about nate bethea so funny

I've been really struggling to work out what is going on because the QCs have blocked me despite my never having interacted with then before.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

knox_harrington posted:

Twitter seems to be chock full of barristers behaving like total arseholes. It feels very much like the stereotype of engineers who think because they understand the properties of concrete well it means they understand the entire universe, except with barristers the skill is pontificating.

This prick for instance https://mobile.twitter.com/Francis_Hoar

As I understand it the organisation that represents barristers' interests is the same as the regulator which I guess is the reason they have brain damage from huffing their own farts too much.

Went to a post of his about Covid and how apparently an awful lot of people have become tankies now. Comments are full of incredible rifles who can't comprehend that context exists, for example in explaining why mass lockdowns to deal with the worst pandemic in a century is different from mass lockdowns for no reason whatsoever, and thus the calculus of "is this a tolerable imposition on personal liberty" is radically altered.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Ms Adequate posted:

Went to a post of his about Covid and how apparently an awful lot of people have become tankies now. Comments are full of incredible rifles who can't comprehend that context exists, for example in explaining why mass lockdowns to deal with the worst pandemic in a century is different from mass lockdowns for no reason whatsoever, and thus the calculus of "is this a tolerable imposition on personal liberty" is radically altered.

Ugh, these people are the worst. See also the people who sit grinning in a well, actually, saying "so you support free movement/open borders but you want to close the borders because of a pandemic? Interesting!"

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

I was going to say that British people need never worry about needless lockdowns because their desires to sit indoors in a pub during summer and to have some sort of family Christmas (outside London) were kowtowed to when a stricter lockdown might have been "needful". Then I remembered that the British state can be pretty lethal when it wants to be. I think I know who would win in British state vs Tim Martin and his band of merry Freemen on the Magna Carta, if they really wanted to keep people indoors for no reason.

Not to say that the British state hasn't been lethal during the past year. 100k dead, yeahhh boooyy.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ms Adequate posted:

It's an impressive combination of being wrong about everything and incredibly smug about it at the same time

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

TACD posted:

RE:boilers, can anyone recommend a page with like a summary of the different main types for a dullard like me? The one in our new flat is busted in some way (caveat emptor lol) and I’m not at all sure what kind it is, how much it would be to fix or if it’s worth getting it replaced.

Clearly I’ll need to get somebody in at some point but am trying to wait until the next COVID lull to have work done.

Combi-Boiler - box on the wall with everything in it, does the heating and hot water on demand. A variant of this is the type with an integrated water-tank (Powermax is one make) - they keep the water tank very hot in the thermal store and have a heat-exchanger for domestic hot water. These look like an oversized cyclinder with pipework etc on the outside (there's also one that's in a square case with everything hidden).

System Boiler - box on the wall with just the heating bits in it, hot water is done via a cylinder tank usually in an airing cupboard that also has the pump and either a three-way valve or 2 2-way valves.

Back Boiler - a system boiler that is designed to sit in a builders opening and has a fire in front. The old ones are open-flue (they get the air for combustion from the room it's in) and need an air vent in the wall, new types are sealed, but need a drain-pipe run to outside to get rid of the condensate (which is awkward as they are usually in the middle of a room).

Multi-point water heater - not a boiler, just does the hot water to more than one tap.

As for how much, that'll depend on what it is (make/model), what's wrong with it and if anything else needs bringing up to standard.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I only found out a couple of years ago that there's a Newcastle in the Midlands too

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
A very Torygraph take

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1351821357542203393?s=19

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
They want to mind their back, reaching that far

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
They really Blewitt with that one

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
We hosed over his ancestors, so that may be a reason to be well disposed towards us.

Huh, OK.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The British attitude is that they should be grateful that the British gave them enough attention to gently caress them over.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

one drop rule except for brexit

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Trade deal of one blighted potato with 'lol' carved into it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
He sucks so much

https://twitter.com/MediocreDave/status/1351582723132059650?s=19

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/GrayInGlasgow/status/1351628237546381313?s=19

George Osborne now apparently welcome in my IRA splinter group too.

Of course the Scottish bits of that op-ed are where the real spice is flowing

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If Keith could even tweet a nice sounding pro-trans soundbite like Biden's team did that'd be a huge step forward from where they currently are.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

These weirdo anti-maskers with the smiley face avatars and "bring back the smile"... they evoke a feeling of recognition of specific archetype. I can't put my finger on exactly who. A specific type of creepily friendly person, with a surface-level smile covering a deep well of aggression. The sort of person who tells women to smile more, and says "cheer up, it may never happen" to any person with resting neutral face. But that's just some of it. Anyone know what I mean?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/llewcid/status/1351550354589102081?s=19

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Well now they're just sending out mixed messages.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bobstar posted:

These weirdo anti-maskers with the smiley face avatars and "bring back the smile"... they evoke a feeling of recognition of specific archetype. I can't put my finger on exactly who. A specific type of creepily friendly person, with a surface-level smile covering a deep well of aggression. The sort of person who tells women to smile more, and says "cheer up, it may never happen" to any person with resting neutral face. But that's just some of it. Anyone know what I mean?

Umbridge? Who Rowling doesn't realise was just herself.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Brendan mad at things only happening inside his giant head part 1,751,569

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/DrownedinSound/status/1351794639393742849?s=19

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Bobstar posted:

The smiley face thing stems from fad-diet proponent turned ID epidemiology tarot-reader Ivor Cummins.

https://mobile.twitter.com/braidedmanga/status/1351842978407587840

He along with haunted testicle Toby Young and the rest of the lockdown sceptics are currently deleting all their old tweets.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The idea that (outside of the most remote farmhouses) each individual dwelling needs to make its own arrangements to make hot water is one that should have been abandoned around the same time as gas lights. It just makes no sense, on any bloody level. I don't mean that every village needs its own massive CHAP and steam system (although...), but water heaters for heating and hot water only get less efficient the smaller they get, and it takes a *long* distance before the cost of insulating the pipes outweighs the massive efficiency gains you get from having one heater between 10-100 dwellings.

And this is just on the simplest, grossest cost terms (both for the plant and running it), it doesn't even get in to the convenience gains of "turn on tap, hot water comes out" and of course the massive safety advantage of having the very hot pressure vessel (that might also produce carbon monoxide if a bird lands in the wrong place) in a different building from the one you're sleeping in.

The flat we lived in Highgate had a centralised boiler (which I think was under the park area inbetween blocks) for at least 2 blocks of flats, the maintenance thereof was contracted out by the council. I think we got up to something like 24 days over 4 years where there was either no hot water, or no water at all for everyone, often lasting 2-3 days at a time. You'd get a letter 3 days later from the contract company going 'LOL, soz you had to shower at work/couldn't wash anything etc', they were loving useless.
It's a good idea in theory, less so in practice.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Grey Hunter posted:

Priti Patel is getting interviewed on the BBC and getting hammered on the governments covid response.

She's used the "now is not the time for blame line."

She's right. The Tories have got away with killing 20,000+ people a year for the last decade because that number seems small. We should pile it all together in one heap and see if pointing out that they've now killed more British people than the Second World War makes a difference.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bobstar posted:

I've not seen the specific people you're talking about, but your description of the type rings all too many bells and reminds me why I basically never drink in city centre pubs any more.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
My parents are getting their first vaccine next week.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Harry Redknapp's lost some weight.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

knox_harrington posted:

The smiley face thing stems from fad-diet proponent turned ID epidemiology tarot-reader Ivor Cummins.

https://mobile.twitter.com/braidedmanga/status/1351842978407587840
:lmao:

The two winters, March-May and November-January.

Also when u understand how hemispheres work.

knox_harrington posted:

He along with haunted testicle Toby Young and the rest of the lockdown sceptics are currently deleting all their old tweets.
I think you'll find that he installed an app and is not in fact owned.

Goldskull posted:

It's a good idea in theory, less so in practice.
Heat pumps are getting good enough now that your huge central boiler could be some kind of grid and your local heating could run off that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

My flat in London has one of those combined heat and power (CHP) systems where hot water is generated centrally and then piped to the individual homes. It works well, except when (like Goldskull above) it doesn't and there's not much you can do while a faceless company fixes it at their leisure.

The building it comes from looks like an alien spacecraft, it's mostly transparent.